Some help for a noob
Ok, I'm unclear about something. Are there warrior skills that are only usable in certain stances, and that is why switching stances and Tactical Mastery are necessary? So far, I seem to only have skills that work perfectly fine in Battle stance. Is it maybe that they are simply more effective in certain stances?

It sounds like the former, but so far I have not seen any. I am not planning to put any points into the Protection tree, if that helps.

Also, any warriors here use any add on programs, like an enhancement for the interface? I'm thinking of using something that will add another line of icons on top of the existing one...

tia

-A
Ashock,Mar 21 2006, 02:53 PM Wrote:Are there warrior skills that are only usable in certain stances, and that is why switching stances and Tactical Mastery are necessary?

Yes. Also, if you're tanking you're most likely in defensive stance, whereas for high damage asskicking you're probably going to be in berserker. Whereas some skills can be used in multiple stances, some are tied to a specific one.

Ashock Wrote:So far, I seem to only have skills that work perfectly fine in Battle stance. Is it maybe that they are simply more effective in certain stances?

Not the skills, per se, but the warrior ;-)

Ashock Wrote:Also, any warriors here use any add on programs, like an enhancement for the interface? I'm thinking of using something that will add another line of icons on top of the existing one...

I use ctmod to move stuff around, but you can get an extra bar (two, in fact) without add-ons by turning them on in the interface options menu.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Ashock,Mar 21 2006, 09:53 AM Wrote:Ok, I'm unclear about something. Are there warrior skills that are only usable in certain stances, and that is why switching stances and Tactical Mastery are necessary? So far, I seem to only have skills that work perfectly fine in Battle stance. Is it maybe that they are simply more effective in certain stances?[right][snapback]104993[/snapback][/right]

Yes. I stance dance often both solo, in groups and when raiding. Whirlwind is an example of a skill only useable in a stance (berserker).

Ashock,Mar 21 2006, 09:53 AM Wrote:It sounds like the former, but so far I have not seen any. I am not planning to put any points into the Protection tree, if that helps.[right][snapback]104993[/snapback][/right]

I've found with my build (located under talents) that tactical mastery is a absolute must have. Especially if I know the instance well enough that I can charge a mob for initial aggro or when a hunter is pulling for me.

Ashock,Mar 21 2006, 09:53 AM Wrote:Also, any warriors here use any add on programs, like an enhancement for the interface? I'm thinking of using something that will add another line of icons on top of the existing one...
tia
-A
[right][snapback]104993[/snapback][/right]

I just turn on the extra action bars in the default interface.
Thanks guys.

-A

ps. Tal, I thought you were dual-wield? Like 2-handers better, or simply found a great 2-hander?
Ashock,Mar 21 2006, 12:30 PM Wrote:Thanks guys.
-A
ps. Tal, I thought you were dual-wield? Like 2-handers better, or simply found a great 2-hander?
[right][snapback]105012[/snapback][/right]

Nope Shalandrax has always been a two handed swordswoman (having silver twinked onto her from Sharanna to get trained as soon as possible). My end goal with her ever since Blackwing Lair was introduced was for her to wield the Untamed Blade. It matches her personal lore very well. :)
Tal,Mar 21 2006, 01:08 PM Wrote:Nope Shalandrax has always been a two handed swordswoman (having silver twinked onto her from Sharanna to get trained as soon as possible). My end goal with her ever since Blackwing Lair was introduced was for her to wield the Untamed Blade. It matches her personal lore very well. :)
[right][snapback]105015[/snapback][/right]

Keshi solos in dual-wield, and spams HS on mobs when doing so. However, I keep a nice 2-hander around for 3 or more mobs, to lay down some WW hurt on them, then go back to my quick HS/Cleave spam with my 2.2/1.5 speed DW setup. I don't have a 2-hander like Tal's, so DW works much better for me, that and the fact that my mainhand sword is pretty nice.

You saw me in DM with my dual-claw setup, and I probably looked like a squirrel on crack with it :D Two 1.5 speed weapons generates a lot of rage to dump in HS and cleave.

(And, I'm a protection warrior, with 1h spec, so I get a 10% damage bonus on 1h weaps, so my new sword is about the same DPS as my 2h now.)
--Mav
Mavfin,Mar 21 2006, 12:03 PM Wrote:You saw me in DM with my dual-claw setup, and I probably looked like a squirrel on crack with it :D 
[right][snapback]105021[/snapback][/right]

It's amazing, but that's exactly what I thought to myself then.... "This guy looks like a squirrel on crack", says I to myself ;)

Thanks guys.

-A
Ok, warrior question.

So, I've been having difficulty understanding how Battle shout works. It seems to do nothing for me... ever. For example: lvl 4 B. Shout supposedly "The warrior shouts, increasing the attack power of all party members within 20 yards by 85. Lasts 2 minutes."

So, logically speaking I should be doing whatever normal white damage + 85, right? I should always then do over 100/swing, right? How come I get swings under 100, in fact about 80 damage all the time... not counting yellow damage from other skills naturally? I've never really noticed any difference using it or not, ever since lvl 1 Battle Shout. Is it supposed to be for everyone in the party BUT yourself? Does not sound like it from description, but then again I see no benefit from it for myself....

Also, at this point I am strictly in Battle Stance (lvl 33) and I do not see the logic in switching to Zerk Stance at his moment as most of the skills I use are restricted to Battle Stance. Is that pretty much par for the course, or am I doing something wrong? I am assuming that as other Zerk stance only skills become available later on, I will then be switching back and worth....

Instances are messed up for solo. At the time when I can use the items and XP from them, they are unsoloable and when they become so, I do not get any XP anymore. I did about 1/2 of the Stockades yesterday solo and no XP..... I gave up on them, as I can't handle any adds and what I had to do is to kill 1 and then run back out of the instance almost all the time. This to me is the weakest point of the game. I guess I gotta wait 'till I get to 60 and then team up with all of you's ;-)

-A
Ashock,Mar 24 2006, 10:38 AM Wrote:Instances are messed up for solo. At the time when I can use the items and XP from them, they are unsoloable and when they become so, I do not get any XP anymore. I did about 1/2 of the Stockades yesterday solo and no XP..... I gave up on them, as I can't handle any adds and what I had to do is to kill 1 and then run back out of the instance almost all the time. This to me is the weakest point of the game. I guess I gotta wait 'till I get to 60 and then team up with all of you's ;-)
-A
[right][snapback]105355[/snapback][/right]

Exact warrior skills I know very little about...but someone will answer. It looks to me like your math is a bit off. I don't think that +85Ap is a direct add to your white damage, but some of the modifers for it. But again, I don't know much about that kind of stuff.

As to the instances...that's the point behind them. They are there to begin fostering the sense of teamwork that you need at higher levels. They are not meant to be soloed, though they may be carefully duo'ed. If you want to do one, mention it in GEM chat. There is almost always a party's worth of people on with alts (or possibly even mains) in that level who are happy to help out.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Ashock,Mar 24 2006, 08:38 AM Wrote:Ok, warrior question.

So, I've been having difficulty understanding how Battle shout works. It seems to do nothing for me... ever. For example: lvl 4 B. Shout supposedly "The warrior shouts, increasing the attack power of all party members within 20 yards by 85. Lasts 2 minutes."

So, logically speaking I should be doing whatever normal white damage + 85, right? I should always then do over 100/swing, right? How come I get swings under 100, in fact about 80 damage all the time... not counting yellow damage from other skills naturally? I've never really noticed any difference using it or not, ever since lvl 1 Battle Shout. Is it supposed to be for everyone in the party BUT yourself? Does not sound like it from description, but then again I see no benefit from it for myself....

Also, at this point I am strictly in Battle Stance (lvl 33) and I do not see the logic in switching to Zerk Stance at his moment as most of the skills I use are restricted to Battle Stance. Is that pretty much par for the course, or am I doing something wrong? I am assuming that as other Zerk stance only skills become available later on, I will then be switching back and worth....

Instances are messed up for solo. At the time when I can use the items and XP from them, they are unsoloable and when they become so, I do not get any XP anymore. I did about 1/2 of the Stockades yesterday solo and no XP..... I gave up on them, as I can't handle any adds and what I had to do is to kill 1 and then run back out of the instance almost all the time. This to me is the weakest point of the game. I guess I gotta wait 'till I get to 60 and then team up with all of you's ;-)
-A
[right][snapback]105355[/snapback][/right]

Attack Power to Damage is different than straight damage boost. For Hunters, Ranged Attack Power gives them a DPS boost of about 1 DPS per 17 Ranged Attack Power. Melee Attack Power is around 1 DPS per 10 to 12 (not sure on exact number). So and 85 Melee Attack Power boost is going to net you around 7 to 8 DPS boost in damage which means on a 3 second weapon, the damage should increase by 21 to 24 point on a normal swing.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Lissa,Mar 24 2006, 11:06 AM Wrote:Attack Power to Damage is different than straight damage boost.  For Hunters, Ranged Attack Power gives them a DPS boost of about 1 DPS per 17 Ranged Attack Power.  Melee Attack Power is around 1 DPS per 10 to 12 (not sure on exact number).  So and 85 Melee Attack Power boost is going to net you around 7 to 8 DPS boost in damage which means on a 3 second weapon, the damage should increase by 21 to 24 point on a normal swing.
[right][snapback]105361[/snapback][/right]
Before armor. All physical attacks have to take the targets armor into acount. Most mobs seem to have between 25%-50% damage reduction I think. Casters have the least, fighters (shielded mobs, rock elemental mobs, etc.) have the most.
[Image: 21740hrsxL.png]
Lissa,Mar 24 2006, 11:06 AM Wrote:Attack Power to Damage is different than straight damage boost.  For Hunters, Ranged Attack Power gives them a DPS boost of about 1 DPS per 17 Ranged Attack Power.  Melee Attack Power is around 1 DPS per 10 to 12 (not sure on exact number).  So and 85 Melee Attack Power boost is going to net you around 7 to 8 DPS boost in damage which means on a 3 second weapon, the damage should increase by 21 to 24 point on a normal swing.
[right][snapback]105361[/snapback][/right]

Warriors get 1 DPS per 14 AP. So 85 AP ~ 6 DPS. Which is not 6 damage a swing of course because it's damage per second, not damage per swing. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Mirajj,Mar 24 2006, 08:55 AM Wrote:Exact warrior skills I know very little about...but someone will answer. It looks to me like your math is a bit off. I don't think that +85Ap is a direct add to your white damage, but some of the modifers for it. But again, I don't know much about that kind of stuff.

As to the instances...that's the point behind them. They are there to begin fostering the sense of teamwork that you need at higher levels. They are not meant to be soloed, though they may be carefully duo'ed. If you want to do one, mention it in GEM chat. There is almost always a party's worth of people on with alts (or possibly even mains) in that level who are happy to help out.
[right][snapback]105358[/snapback][/right]

What's a GEM chat?

Thanks for the explanation, guys..... so B.S. is really just that.... BS. A drop in the bucket.

-A
Ashock,Mar 24 2006, 11:59 AM Wrote:What's a GEM chat?[right][snapback]105375[/snapback][/right]

Um...the easiest explanation is that it's a mod that allows Avarice Alliance memebers to chat with each other (akin to a Guild chat, but with 5 guilds) and schedule events. The mod is called Guilded Event Manager (GEM) and the latest version that Avarice uses can be found on the Carpe Aurum (www.carpeaurum.com) forums. You need to register there, but it's a good idea to do so, as all SR/Avarice stuff is run through that site.

It can also be explained a bit more detail in game, if you catch us in Guild chat.
Hey all.

Got a "Darkmoon Faire" quest from a guy in Ironforge yesterday. Said something about going to Elwen Forest.... I know it's some kind of special quest, but how does it work exactly?

Also, is there a place in Ironforge where I could buy a mount? If not in IF, then where?

Also, is there some reason besides esthetics that maces are usually not as popular for warriors as Swords or even Axes? I find their prices to be 20-25% of the prices of comparable lvl swords on the AH. I know that when I am close to 60 and can raid with you guys this will be a moot point, but for now I need to get some decent weapons for mid-high 50s and I would much rather spend 75G on a purple one-hander with around 41 DPS than 400.... I am not even considering some of the newer ones freshly available on the AH for 1.5K G.

tia

-A
Ashock,Apr 7 2006, 11:18 AM Wrote:Hey all.

Got a "Darkmoon Faire" quest from a guy in Ironforge yesterday. Said something about going to Elwen Forest.... I know it's some kind of special quest, but how does it work exactly?

Like a great many other quests. ;) Take given item, go to mentioned place, fork given item over. You do, IIRC, have to wait for the Faire to 'open' though. It sets up the first week of the month, then is "open" for two. Check it out, it's rather fun the first couple times.

Quote:Also, is there a place in Ironforge where I could buy a mount? If not in IF, then where?

Depends on your race. Dwarves get their rams from small farm a little S and a lot E of Ironforge. Humans can buy their horses from either Eastvale Logging Camp or Menethil Harbor. Gnomes can buy their uberchickens from the small village S of Irongforge. NElf's can get their sleek cats from Darnassus.

Quote:Also, is there some reason besides esthetics that maces are usually not as popular for warriors as Swords or even Axes? I find their prices to be 20-25% of the prices of comparable lvl swords on the AH. I know that when I am close to 60 and can raid with you guys this will be a moot point, but for now I need to get some decent weapons for mid-high 50s and I would much rather spend 75G on a purple one-hander with around 41 DPS than 400.... I am not even considering some of the newer ones freshly available on the AH for 1.5K G.

Not really. Most maces (one or two handed) tend to 'suffer' from rogue/druid/priest itemization. There are just better options out there for warriors in pretty much everything else. It's very rare to see a druid without a 2h mace, and a lot of caster classes drool over the Aurastone Hammer, for instance. While warriors can use EVERYTHING, not everything (thank god) is designed with them in mind. Maces fall pretty well into this category.

However, levelling up, if you find a nice purple mace on the AH (or a blue, look for the Twig of the World Tree), go for it. What you use is your business only, really.
Mirajj,Apr 7 2006, 11:32 AM Wrote:Not really. Most maces (one or two handed) tend to 'suffer' from rogue/druid/priest  itemization. There are just better options out there for warriors in pretty much everything else. It's very rare to see a druid without a 2h mace, and a lot of caster classes drool over the Aurastone Hammer, for instance. While warriors can use EVERYTHING, not everything (thank god) is designed with them in mind. Maces fall pretty well into this category.

However, levelling up, if you find a nice purple mace on the AH  (or a blue, look for the Twig of the World Tree), go for it. What you use is your business only, really.
[right][snapback]106492[/snapback][/right]

Well for doing damage sword spec > mace spec for warriors and it can be debated that sword spec > axe spec as well for DPS.

The stun from mace spec is wasted on a lot of mobs. Nice for PvP, but itemization leans to swords in the high end as well. Though a Spineshatter for 1H and Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros for 2H heavy DPS is a combo I've thought about, and I would respec to mace spec them for sure. And yes, for those who don't know, we have access to both those weapons now (I made the Sulfuron Hammer for our first Sulfuras in our guild alliance on Stormrage).
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Ashock,Apr 7 2006, 09:18 AM Wrote:Got a "Darkmoon Faire" quest from a guy in Ironforge yesterday. Said something about going to Elwen Forest.... I know it's some kind of special quest, but how does it work exactly?

The Darkmoon Faire comes once a month and stays for a few days. It sets up in Elwynn Forest or Mulgore on alternating months. The Faire is a kind of medival traveling carnival and there are quests and activities to do there, some fun and "social" (like getting your own pet frog) and others practical. On the practical side, if you turn in various items, you can earn faction with the Darkmoon Faire and if you turn in enough stuff, you can get some items. If you turn in a *lot* of stuff, you can end up getting some nice epic necklaces. Also, the Darkmoon Faire is where you turn in decks of cards once you find complete the sets to get various trinkets.

Quote:Also, is there a place in Ironforge where I could buy a mount? If not in IF, then where?

It depends on your race. It's been a while since I've played Alliance, but I believe the dwarf rams are sold at Thelsamar in Loch Modan, the human horses are sold at the Eastvale Logging Camp in Elwynn Forest, the gnome mechanostriders are sold at Kharnos in Dun Morogh (I think), and I forget where the elf tiger mounts are sold but I think in Darnassus.

Quote:Also, is there some reason besides esthetics that maces are usually not as popular for warriors as Swords or even Axes? I find their prices to be 20-25% of the prices of comparable lvl swords on the AH. I know that when I am close to 60 and can raid with you guys this will be a moot point, but for now I need to get some decent weapons for mid-high 50s and I would much rather spend 75G on a purple one-hander with around 41 DPS than 400.... I am not even considering some of the newer ones freshly available on the AH for 1.5K G.
tia
-A

It probably has mostly to do with the fact that more people like the sword spec talent over the axe and mace spec talents. Mace spec used to be popular, but after they nerfed The Unstoppable Force and added diminishing returns to stuns, people left mace spec in droves. I do see axes used a lot, though, since there are quite a number of good axes in the game.

Edit:

mirajj Wrote:Dwarves get their rams from small farm a little S and a lot E of Ironforge.

I was composing my post when Mirajj submitted his. I'd trust Mirajj's info over mine.
Thanks guys.

-A
Mirajj,Apr 7 2006, 12:32 PM Wrote:Like a great many other quests. ;) Take given item, go to mentioned place, fork given item over. You do, IIRC, have to wait for the Faire to 'open' though. It sets up the first week of the month, then is "open" for two. Check it out, it's rather fun the first couple times.
[right][snapback]106492[/snapback][/right]

The faire starts setting up at the location it will be at for that month on the first Friday of the month. The set up will be done on the following Monday at which time you can participate in the various faire activities. The faire will remain open for seven days and then promptly close. Since the cycle is set by the day the set up starts on, it can at time appear to be more like the third week in a month that you will see the faire open.

On even numbered months the faire will be in Elwynn Forest (right by Goldshire). On the odd numbered months the faire will be in Mulgore (about halfway between Bloodhoof Village and Thunder Bluff).

Make sure to get your fortune told.