Some help for a noob
Ashock,Mar 14 2006, 04:22 PM Wrote:I took a boat out of Menethil Harbor. Is there more than 1 destination from there?
If I am in Auberdine, then I can take another boat to Rutheran Village?
-A

ps. Thanks for the info, Warlock.
[right][snapback]104563[/snapback][/right]

In Menethil, if you take the boat on the right, you go to Auberdine. The boat on the left goes to Theramore, which is on the same continent as Aub, but in a much higher-level area. You can tell where you are by looking at the nameplate above the minimap.

If you're in Theramore, grab the flight path and leave on the next boat. There's not much for you there yet.

In Auberdine, as you exit the boat, you go straight ahead onto the other end of the dock to catch the one for Rutheran.

All of the ports with multiple boats have signposts that indicate which way to go for which boat. I wish they were more obvious - it's easy to miss them.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Bun-Bun,Mar 14 2006, 02: Wrote:In Menethil, if you take the boat on the right, you go to Auberdine. The boat on the left goes to Theramore, which is on the same continent as Aub, but in a much higher-level area. You can tell where you are by looking at the nameplate above the minimap.

If you're in Theramore, grab the flight path and leave on the next boat. There's not much for you there yet.

In Auberdine, as you exit the boat, you go straight ahead onto the other end of the dock to catch the one for Rutheran.

All of the ports with multiple boats have signposts that indicate which way to go for which boat. I wish they were more obvious - it's easy to miss them.
[right][snapback]104565[/snapback][/right]

Ahh, no wonder there were 2 separate docks with 2 separate sets of boats :blink:

Thanks.

Edit: What happens on the Battlegrounds? I know it's PvP, but are these areas with both AI and human opponents? Is there quests? How do I get out of them and will I get back to the location where I was originally?

-A
nobbie,Feb 21 2006, 10:01 PM Wrote:Or play a Tauren Shaman, unless you're strictly Alliance ;)
[right][snapback]102592[/snapback][/right]

Hi Ashock,
(Tauren) Shamans are a good option for you but the warrior really is your calling. Keep in mind that the warrior is the general of the party and should be the one to direct the pace through an instance. Because of this, you will be constantly repeating yourself to all the bnet idiots (WoW is full of them) what to do and when to do it so I hope you have a lot of patience and tolerance. Every party needs a (good) tank, so you will be well loved, even when people are criticizing your aggro management skills. Warriors are one of the few classes needed for every instance in the imba game of WoW.

Most instances can be done with less than a full party of 5 if you play with skilled players but not without a tank or two. For example, Maraudon (sp?) can be done wtih 2 warriors, L58 (MT) and L44 (dps) and a L58 (tank/healer/dps/utility) shaman if all have maxed their first aid skills to assist the shaman with healing during the Princess fight; the shaman won't even have to use his res ability in such a party, nor will he need to be restoration spec'ed. Once your warrior reaches 60, you can decide if you want to keep tanking (raids) or bash heads (BG).

When you want to relax, solo or take the back seat in an instance, play a shaman. Shamans can tank, heal, and provide valuable buffs with their totems. They can also be a valuable source of dps and are a lot of fun to play. End game shamans tend to respec to "second class healer mode" for raids (boring!). IMO it is better for a L60 shaman to "retire" to BG instead of degrading himself to healing and performing out of combat res'ing in raids. From 1-60 a shaman is very entertaining and can easily solo when you need a break from the bnet crowd.

My regard for paladins is very low, so I am not qualified to give you advice about them, but I don't think you will like them. I've played both factions on PvP servers and I prefer horde characters and quests (although many quests for both factions are similar). You might want to reconsider your race preference because Buzzard made the game in favor of Alliance characters and you need a challenge *g*.

Xi

edit:
(Note: I quit playing WoW half a year ago so a few things may have changed since then.)
Xiuhcoatl,Mar 14 2006, 04:15 PM Wrote:Hi Ashock,
(Tauren) Shamans are a good option for you but the warrior really is your calling. Keep in mind that the warrior is the general of the party and should be the one to direct the pace through an instance. Because of this, you will be constantly repeating yourself to all the bnet idiots (WoW is full of them) what to do and when to do it so I hope you have a lot of patience and tolerance. Every party needs a (good) tank, so you will be well loved, even when people are criticizing your aggro management skills. Warriors are one of the few classes needed for every instance in the imba game of WoW.

Most instances can be done with less than a full party of 5 if you play with skilled players but not without a tank or two. For example, Maraudon (sp?) can be done wtih 2 warriors, L58 (MT) and L44 (dps) and a L58 (tank/healer/dps/utility) shaman if all have maxed their first aid skills to assist the shaman with healing during the Princess fight; the shaman won't even have to use his res ability in such a party, nor will he need to be restoration spec'ed. Once your warrior reaches 60, you can decide if you want to keep tanking (raids) or bash heads (BG).

When you want to relax, solo or take the back seat in an instance, play a shaman. Shamans can tank, heal, and provide valuable buffs with their totems. They can also be a valuable source of dps and are a lot of fun to play. End game shamans tend to respec to "second class healer mode" for raids (boring!). IMO it is better for a L60 shaman to "retire" to BG instead of degrading himself to healing and performing out of combat res'ing in raids. From 1-60 a shaman is very entertaining and can easily solo when you need a break from the bnet crowd.

My regard for paladins is very low, so I am not qualified to give you advice about them, but I don't think you will like them. I've played both factions on PvP servers and I prefer horde characters and quests (although many quests for both factions are similar). You might want to reconsider your race preference because Buzzard made the game in favor of Alliance characters and you need a challenge *g*.

Xi

edit:
(Note: I quit playing WoW half a year ago so a few things may have changed since then.)
[right][snapback]104585[/snapback][/right]

Thanks, Xi.

-A
Hey all.

What is the easiest way to get to the Battlegrounds? Do I travel to the area on the world map that has "Battlegrounds" listed on it from Blizz's site, or can I just go to an NPC when I'm in one of the major cities? Also, how do I leave the Battlegrounds and would I wind up back in the original location from which I entered them, if I do enter from a city? I noticed that there is a Battlegrounds in the Arahi highlands (from the map).....

Thanks.

-A
Ashock,Mar 16 2006, 12:39 PM Wrote:Hey all.

What is the easiest way to get to the Battlegrounds? Do I travel to the area on the world map that has "Battlegrounds" listed on it from Blizz's site, or can I just go to an NPC when I'm in one of the major cities? Also, how do I leave the Battlegrounds and would I wind up back in the original location from which I entered them, if I do enter from a city? I noticed that there is a Battlegrounds in the Arahi highlands (from the map).....
Thanks.
-A
[right][snapback]104771[/snapback][/right]

There are two ways to enter the Battlegrounds. The first is to physically travel to the location of the Battlegrounds instance portal (a red swirling portal), and walk into it. Currently you can find Battlegrounds in Ashenvale, Alterac Mountains, and Arathi Highlands. The second way is to locate Battlemasters in the major cities: in Ironforge, these are found inside the central building in the Military ward; in Stormwind, they are in the Throne Room of Stormwind Keep; in Darnassus, they are located on the second level of the Warrior's Terrace. Walking into the portal or speaking with the battlemaster gives you the same Join interface screen. You can leave a battleground by leaving the red portal inside the battleground, going AFK (either through 5 minutes of inactivity or typing /afk), winning it, or losing it. Generally, you will emerge from the battleground at the point where you joined the queue.
Skandranon,Mar 16 2006, 10:52 AM Wrote:There are two ways to enter the Battlegrounds.  The first is to physically travel to the location of the Battlegrounds instance portal (a red swirling portal), and walk into it.  Currently you can find Battlegrounds in Ashenvale, Alterac Mountains, and Arathi Highlands.  The second way is to locate Battlemasters in the major cities: in Ironforge, these are found inside the central building in the Military ward; in Stormwind, they are in the Throne Room of Stormwind Keep; in Darnassus, they are located on the second level of the Warrior's Terrace.  Walking into the portal or speaking with the battlemaster gives you the same Join interface screen.  You can leave a battleground by leaving the red portal inside the battleground, going AFK (either through 5 minutes of inactivity or typing /afk), winning it, or losing it.  Generally, you will emerge from the battleground at the point where you joined the queue.
[right][snapback]104775[/snapback][/right]

Thanks!

-A
So, I decided to follow some guides and go venture into the Thousand Needles for some grinding. After running into some surprises and wondering around for a while, a kindly soul (the only one still up from the Guild) told me that I can get to Tanaris and venture out from there into 1000k Needles. So, I found Gadgetzon. My question is, is there a flight path there? I did not see anything in the outpost, although I did see a bank, which leads me to believe that that is the town for the region. Is it only for Horde? Also, if I do find it, it seems to me that the fastest way to get there, without actually making Gadgetzone your home for a while would be to take the boat to Theramore from Menethil and then the flight path to Gadgetzone. Does that sound right? I took a flight from Tendrasill to Theramore and it took forever, so a flight to Gatgetzone would be just as long if not longer.

Maybe 1000k Needles is really not such a good idea for Alliance.....

Edit: Also, My First Aid hit 150 and I can't train it any more at the Trainer. Do I need to be higher clvl?

Thanks.

-A
Ashock,Mar 17 2006, 09:47 AM Wrote:So, I decided to follow some guides and go venture into the Thousand Needles for some grinding. After running into some surprises and wondering around for a while, a kindly soul (the only one still up from the Guild) told me that I can get to Tanaris and venture out from there into 1000k Needles. So, I found Gadgetzon. My question is, is there a flight path there? I did not see anything in the outpost, although I did see a bank, which leads me to believe that that is the town for the region. Is it only for Horde? Also, if I do find it, it seems to me that the fastest way to get there, without actually making Gadgetzone your home for a while would be to take the boat to Theramore from Menethil and then the flight path to Gadgetzone. Does that sound right? I took a flight from Tendrasill to Theramore and it took forever, so a flight to Gatgetzone would be just as long if not longer.

Maybe 1000k Needles is really not such a good idea for Alliance.....
-A
[right][snapback]104829[/snapback][/right]

There is a flightpath on the other side of town outside of the walls.
Tal,Mar 17 2006, 07:54 AM Wrote:There is a flightpath on the other side of town outside of the walls.
[right][snapback]104830[/snapback][/right]

Ahh, thanks.

Also, please take a look at the "edit" of my post ;-)

-A
Ashock,Mar 17 2006, 09:56 AM Wrote:Ahh, thanks.
Also, please take a look at the "edit" of my post ;-)
-A
[right][snapback]104831[/snapback][/right]

Ah. You need to get a couple of books from a vendor in Stromgard Keep in the Arathi Highlands. Arathi is adjacent to the Wetlands. If you go to Menethil Harbor you can follow the road east out of town. When it splits head north. Follow that road north over a ruined bridge span. Your level might cause some aggro issues so keep pushing on. The road will split off with a sign pointing towards Refuge Point. Make sure you get the flight path there. Head back out to the road and continue northish. On your left will be Stromgard. Enter and follow the right hand wall all the way around until you get to the human (green and friendly to you) npc section. Keep following the right hand wall until you reach a bridge. Cross it and enter the vineyard. The vendor is tucked into the right hand corner in the vineyard.

Or you can let a guildie with a mount (ie me) collect one for you to send to you or purchase one off the AH. They sell in Arathi for about 90 silver iirc and are called Expert First Aid Under wraps. Make sure you pick up the manual for heavy silk bandages and mageweave bandages while you are there for 25 and 50 silver if my memory serves.

I don't mind trotting up there either if you wish to go that route.
Tal,Mar 17 2006, 08:09 AM Wrote:Ah. You need to get a couple of books from a vendor in Stromgard Keep in the Arathi Highlands. Arathi is adjacent to the Wetlands. If you go to Menethil Harbor you can follow the road east out of town. When it splits head north. Follow that road north over a ruined bridge span. Your level might cause some aggro issues so keep pushing on. The road will split off with a sign pointing towards Refuge Point. Make sure you get the flight path there. Head back out to the road and continue northish. On your left will be Stromgard. Enter and follow the right hand wall all the way around until you get to the human (green and friendly to you) npc section. Keep following the right hand wall until you reach a bridge. Cross it and enter the vineyard. The vendor is tucked into the right hand corner in the vineyard.

Or you can let a guildie with a mount (ie me) collect one for you to send to you or purchase one off the AH. They sell in Arathi for about 90 silver iirc and are called Expert First Aid Under wraps. Make sure you pick up the manual for heavy silk bandages and mageweave bandages while you are there for 25 and 50 silver if my memory serves.

I don't mind trotting up there either if you wish to go that route.
[right][snapback]104832[/snapback][/right]

Thanks Tal. I will be ok with AH, now that you've told me what needs to be done. I prefer to ask people for favors only when that is pretty much the only way..... and through creative AH trading I now have about 100G, so money is not an issue ;) If it were only that simple for mining.....

I'm sure once I hit 60 or somewhere around there, I will inundate you and some of the others anyway, so no reason to use up my favors now :whistling:

Thanks again.

-A

ps. Battlegrounds were fun. I killed 3 and died 3 times. I'll be back...... :shuriken:
Ashock,Mar 17 2006, 10:36 AM Wrote:Thanks Tal. I will be ok with AH, now that you've told me what needs to be done. I prefer to ask people for favors only when that is pretty much the only way..... and through creative AH trading I now have about 100G, so money is not an issue  ;) If it were only that simple for mining.....

I'm sure once I hit 60 or somewhere around there, I will inundate you and some of the others anyway, so no reason to use up my favors now  :whistling:

Thanks again.
-A
ps. Battlegrounds were fun. I killed 3 and died 3 times. I'll be back......  :shuriken:
[right][snapback]104835[/snapback][/right]

Now that I think about it I do need to head that way for an alt who has maxxed out his First Aid. It really wouldn't be any trouble to pick up some spares. :)
Tal,Mar 17 2006, 08:38 AM Wrote:Now that I think about it I do need to head that way for an alt who has maxxed out his First Aid. It really wouldn't be any trouble to pick up some spares. :)
[right][snapback]104837[/snapback][/right]

Well, if you insist, thank you :) Need any gold? ;)

-A
Ashock,Mar 17 2006, 10:44 AM Wrote:Well, if you insist, thank you :) Need any gold?  ;)
-A
[right][snapback]104838[/snapback][/right]

I'll CoD it to you if you're not online or work out the trade if you are online. :)
Tal,Mar 17 2006, 08:49 AM Wrote:I'll CoD it to you if you're not online or work out the trade if you are online. :)
[right][snapback]104839[/snapback][/right]

Cool :)

-A

ps. I do not like the way my warrior looks fighting with axes. Swords look much cooler....
Ashock,Mar 17 2006, 10:51 AM Wrote:ps. I do not like the way my warrior looks fighting with axes. Swords look much cooler....
[right][snapback]104840[/snapback][/right]

Sword spec > axes. :)

-signed Shalandrax
Swordswoman and DPS Monkey Extraordinaire ;)
Tal,Mar 17 2006, 09:07 AM Wrote:Sword spec > axes. :)

-signed Shalandrax
Swordswoman and DPS Monkey Extraordinaire ;)
[right][snapback]104843[/snapback][/right]

Bleh, beggars can't be choosers ;) I simply have not seen any good swords for sale at a reasonable price. OTOH, axes are more reasonable, price-wise. I suspect it is the opposite on the Horde side. I could spend 50-60G for a decent blue right now, but considering I need 2, I will be completely wiped out and it will be outdated in about 5 lvls anyway. I think I will try to save up as much as I can until I hit high 50's-60, as until then it is all a quick fix anyway. If I see a bargain, I will definately get it, but short of that I will just use whatever I can get for the least amount of gold.

I might even consider getting back to 2-handers until later, as these are much cheaper. At least some of them are.

-A
My warrior chooses sword too, and I haven't found the need to purchase weapon from AH and probably will not do so until the warrior is 55ish and only if I couldn't find a quest reward that is reasonably decent.

From around level 30 to 50, quest rewards from the following are fairly decent (spoiler alert!):

For 2-handed weapon, the reward from the Whirlwind quest line, follow up of the Berserker's Stance quest is nice especially if done in low 30s (may want help with the Cyclonian).

2-handed whirlwind weapon choices:
Axe
Sword
Warhammer

For 1-handed weapon for level 35 to 45ish, quest reward from Scralet Monastery quest In the Name of the Light (sword or dagger, 2-handed axe too) is nice, the quest line starts here but one can go straight to Desolace to start the quest too.

And for 1-handed weapon for level 45 to 55ish, Thrash Blade from this quest in Maraudon is faily decent.
- SoulEdge -
"*burp* too many pots, I need to pee..."
SoulEdge,Mar 17 2006, 04:27 PM Wrote:My warrior chooses sword too, and I haven't found the need to purchase weapon from AH and probably will not do so until the warrior is 55ish and only if I couldn't find a quest reward that is reasonably decent.

From around level 30 to 50, quest rewards from the following are fairly decent (spoiler alert!):

For 2-handed weapon, the reward from the Whirlwind quest line, follow up of the  Berserker's Stance quest is nice especially if done in low 30s (may want help with the Cyclonian).

2-handed whirlwind weapon choices:
Axe
Sword
Warhammer

For 1-handed weapon for level 35 to 45ish, quest reward from Scralet Monastery quest In the Name of the Light (sword or dagger, 2-handed axe too) is nice, the quest line starts here but one can go straight to Desolace to start the quest too.

And for 1-handed weapon for level 45 to 55ish, Thrash Blade from this quest in Maraudon is faily decent.
[right][snapback]104880[/snapback][/right]

Thanks, I will make sure to use this info for good, not evil :shuriken: It is good to know that maybe there are actually decent quest rewards.

Actually, I only buy green weapons on the AH, as I am saving gold for the late 50's at least. No point in paying good money for something I will only use short-term.

-A