Some help for a noob
I've just picked up WoW. Although I tried to stay away from pay/play, there's simply nothing else out there. At the moment I have the following questions:

1) I am playing a warrior naturally. I have read a bunch of guides and they all have certain build and talent points distribution schemes. I am puzzled however, as to one thing: They talk about talents like Improved Rend, Improved Battle shout, improved this and that and also there seems to be a finite number of talent points. Do those "Improved" talents have pre-reqs like plain Rend or plain Battle shout, and how many of those would I have to take before being allowed to get to the improved stage. I am right now at lvl 9 and have not gotten anything yet as I am afraid that if I take the plain versions, I will run out of points necessary for the future. Is this the case or can I take the plain versions without running out of talent points in the future? I have to say that without any of the skills I am finding this game a difficult grind so far, soloing and all at least for now...

2) Edit: Just found answer, heh.

Any info about this and other simple noob stuff would be appreciated as I have not been able to find anything pertaining to the basics, well aside from the real basics on Blizz's site.

tia

-A

ps. So far I am not very impressed, but I still have another almost month to make up my mind, I guess.
Ashock,Feb 20 2006, 03:32 AM Wrote:1) I am playing a warrior naturally. I have read a bunch of guides and they all have certain build and talent points distribution schemes. I am puzzled however, as to one thing: They talk about talents like Improved Rend, Improved Battle shout, improved this and that and also there seems to be a finite number of talent points. Do those "Improved" talents have pre-reqs like plain Rend or plain Battle shout, and how many of those would I have to take before being allowed to get to the improved stage. I am right now at lvl 9 and have not gotten anything yet as I am afraid that if I take the plain versions, I will run out of points necessary for the future. Is this the case or can I take the plain versions without running out of talent points in the future? I have to say that without any of the skills I am finding this game a difficult grind so far, soloing and all at least for now...

At level 9, you do not have talent points yet. Talent points start at level 10 and you get one per level thereafter, placed in Diablo II-like skill trees. You cannot see this menu yet because you're not level 10: once you are, a new button will appear ("N" will also display it on the default mapping) that shows you your trees. You can choose to unlearn all your talents for an increasing gold cost, as well, so no point assignation is ever permanent.

Currently, what the trainers are offering you are skills. You may freely train all of these: there is no limit.

Quote:2) Also, about professions. Do I get 2 priomaries and 1 secondary or 1 and 1? I've been thinking about Blacksmithing and First Aid, although I read that once you get Blacksmithing you are pretty much locked into Mining (or something like it), so I do nto know if I would be able to take first aid too. Bleh.
[right][snapback]102410[/snapback][/right]

You get two primary professions and all 3 secondary skills. You can always have First Aid, Fishing and Cooking, the three secondary skills: taking them doesn't lock you out of anything. You can only pick two of the primary professions, though: Skinning, Mining, Tailoring, Enchanting, Blacksmithing, Herbalism, Alchemy, and Leatherworking. You do not need to have Mining to Blacksmith, although getting materials will be expensive. At any time, you may unlearn a primary profession to pick up another at skill level 1, though if you drop that one to go back to your old one, you start back again at skill level 1 in your old one.
Skandranon,Feb 20 2006, 01:40 AM Wrote:Currently, what the trainers are offering you are skills.  You may freely train all of these: there is no limit.
[right][snapback]102411[/snapback][/right]

That is a highly useful piece of info. Thanks a bunch! :)

-A
Best advice I can give starting out is to pick up fishing, cooking and first aid as secondary professions. If you plan on doing any amount of soloing you're going to want to limit downtime which means food and bandages. Use downtime for skilling them up.
1. I'd suggest starting a toon on a server with other Lurkers where we can give you advice and support such as Stormrage for Alliance or Terenas for Horde.
2. For solo play imo a hunter or rogue are probably the best choices. Warlocks also solo well, but might not be the best choice as your 1st toon.
3. If you stick with your warrior, for solo play some combo of Arms and Fury talents will help you level faster imo. To be a tank for group play the Protection tree will be a neccessity. I made my 1st warrior protection specced at a time when I played mostly solo or duo, and it was as you said-"a difficult grind."
4. For your 1st toon ever, you will need gold. Take professions such as mining/skinning or herbalism/skinning where you can make money. Stay away from blacksmithing or leatherwork.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
The best tree for all around leveling is Arms. You need 0 points in Protection to tank effectively (sorry Alram). First Aid is a must have and it's quite easy to do with all the cloth you'll get. Skinning / Mining is a n excellent combination for money making. You'll be grinding beasts anyway, all of which you can skin, so Skinning will level up quickly and Mining isn't too bad for leveling up either. Good luck, hope you have fun :)
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Alram,Feb 20 2006, 10:42 AM Wrote:3.  To be a tank for group play the Protection tree will be a neccessity.
[right][snapback]102433[/snapback][/right]

I've tanked every sub 40 boss, Onyxia, ALL of Molten Core, Razorgore and Vael without ever putting a single point in protection.
Tal,Feb 20 2006, 03:52 PM Wrote:I've tanked every sub 40 boss, Onyxia, ALL of Molten Core, Razorgore and Vael without ever putting a single point in protection.
[right][snapback]102458[/snapback][/right]

And this is why protection warriors get grumpy and respec. :)

You also do nearly the DPS of a rogue, and this is why rogues get grumpy and roll fury warriors. :) (or not because they don't ever want to tank)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Gnollguy,Feb 20 2006, 02:23 PM Wrote:And this is why protection warriors get grumpy and respec.  :)[right][snapback]102460[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, Ace was getting grumpy yesterday. I don't know who he was talking to about taunting mobs off him, but I was getting agro with Lizzy strictly by HSing and MSing in Defensive Stance... 31/5/15 Axe speced ftw! (I have close to 25% crit while using an Axe and no actual crit gear worn)
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Lissa,Feb 20 2006, 05:34 PM Wrote:I was getting agro with Lizzy strictly by HSing and MSing in Defensive Stance...
[right][snapback]102462[/snapback][/right]

If Ace was MT, why were you in Defensive Stance?
Darian Redwin - just some dude now
Gnollguy,Feb 20 2006, 04:23 PM Wrote:And this is why protection warriors get grumpy and respec.  :)
[right][snapback]102460[/snapback][/right]

I've healed both though - Protection warriors are by far the easier to heal.
I stand corrected and un protected.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Tal,Feb 20 2006, 05:38 PM Wrote:I've healed both though - Protection warriors are by far the easier to heal.
[right][snapback]102465[/snapback][/right]

Yeah and I listen to the priests, paladins, and druids all saying "I'm bored" too. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Darian,Feb 20 2006, 04:55 PM Wrote:If Ace was MT, why were you in Defensive Stance?
[right][snapback]102463[/snapback][/right]

and HSing? You stay the hell off the HS button if you're not MT.

--Mav
Tal,Feb 20 2006, 05:38 PM Wrote:I've healed both though - Protection warriors are by far the easier to heal.
[right][snapback]102465[/snapback][/right]

I've also healed both and never noticed a difference. The only damage reduction talents are 5% block (woo, I block 80 damage per swing 5% more of the time), 10% more armor (adds up to nothing thanks to diminishing returns) and +10 defense. Post +defense gear nerf patch that means a bit more but I can't say I would notice if the Warrior had or not. I've only healed ZG and about half of MC so I suppose the differences become apparent later on.

Quote:and HSing? You stay the hell off the HS button if you're not MT.

Mmhmm. Unless you're trying to stay 2nd(ish) on the aggro chart to cover if the MT goes down. But if the MT goes down, the problems tend to run much deeper than grabbing aggro :)
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
ima_nerd,Feb 20 2006, 08:35 PM Wrote:
mavfin,Feb 20 2006, 08:29 PM Wrote:and HSing? You stay the hell off the HS button if you're not MT.
Mmhmm. Unless you're trying to stay 2nd(ish) on the aggro chart to cover if the MT goes down. But if the MT goes down, the problems tend to run much deeper than grabbing aggro :)
[right][snapback]102474[/snapback][/right]

Well, we often have someone designated as a backup for the main tank on several raid-level fights so that everyone knows where the heals should be going if the MT goes down, and that warrior usually engages just a second or two after the MT to begin generating aggro. Since for all I know Lissa was that person at that time, the extra arguments don't really apply too much. Generally, while that warrior should be in battle stance unless the MT does in fact go down, they should also be building aggro as much as they can while maximizing DPS so that they are in fact the next target. The difference between battle stance and defensive stance is the barrier which prevents them from accidentally stealing aggro from the MT.
Darian Redwin - just some dude now
Darian,Feb 20 2006, 08:23 PM Wrote:Well, we often have someone designated as a backup for the main tank on several raid-level fights so that everyone knows where the heals should be going if the MT goes down, and that warrior usually engages just a second or two after the MT to begin generating aggro.  Since for all I know Lissa was that person at that time, the extra arguments don't really apply too much.  Generally, while that warrior should be in battle stance unless the MT does in fact go down, they should also be building aggro as much as they can while maximizing DPS so that they are in fact the next target.  The difference between battle stance and defensive stance is the barrier which prevents them from accidentally stealing aggro from the MT.
[right][snapback]102476[/snapback][/right]

Sounds like a good idea. That idea is used on Vael, correct? Having a nice line of tanks built up due to them constantly dying. Or something like that. I have no personal experience :P
Thanks for all the advise. I will be playing a warrior unless he is completely unplayable. My second and possibly only other choice will be a Pally. I like to hit things B)

Once I get a bit better, I might start a character on your guys server, but at this point I need to just learn the game somewhat, since I do not like to be cuddled B)

Besides, my usual hours are from about 10 pm PST, so not exactly the best of times for the East coast people to team up with me.

Oh btw, if I already trained in Blacksmithing and nothing else, can I take up something else and mining, or am I already locked in to Blacksmithing?

Anyway, thanks again.

-A
Ashock,Feb 20 2006, 10:28 PM Wrote:Oh btw, if I already trained in Blacksmithing and nothing else, can I take up something else and mining, or am I already locked in to Blacksmithing?
Anyway, thanks again.
-A
[right][snapback]102482[/snapback][/right]

You can only choose 1 other main profesion. Secondary profesions like 1st aid, cooking, and fishing can all be taken. Dropping a profesion is as easy as a couple of clicks on your skill (default "k" ) tab. Be warned that while some fishing recipies are very nice for a warrior, fishing is bring tears to your eyes boring!

You didn't mention what server your on and it sounds like that was purpousful but, I play on stormrage and I've levled several toons to their 50's and 60 solo so I'd consider myself 1 of the most experienced noobs out there (don't know sqwat about the instances) I'm currently leveling my hunter with a priest, and a warrior would be an exelent addition. Just something to consider
Darian,Feb 20 2006, 08:23 PM Wrote:Mmhmm. Unless you're trying to stay 2nd(ish) on the aggro chart to cover if the MT goes down. But if the MT goes down, the problems tend to run much deeper than grabbing aggro :)
[right][snapback]102474[/snapback][/right]
Well, we often have someone designated as a backup for the main tank on several raid-level fights so that everyone knows where the heals should be going if the MT goes down, and that warrior usually engages just a second or two after the MT to begin generating aggro.  Since for all I know Lissa was that person at that time, the extra arguments don't really apply too much.  Generally, while that warrior should be in battle stance unless the MT does in fact go down, they should also be building aggro as much as they can while maximizing DPS so that they are in fact the next target.  The difference between battle stance and defensive stance is the barrier which prevents them from accidentally stealing aggro from the MT.
[right][snapback]102476[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, HS is ok, *if* you're in battle stance as 2nd tank...if in defensive, stick to sunder, and some shield slam, and start after the MT gets a lead. HS in defensive is too easy to pull aggro with, espec if you have a weapon advantage over the tank. Also, if you are pulling aggro off the MT, regardless of why, you need to back off a bit.
--Mav