When Real Life and WoW Get Confused
click
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Alram,Apr 5 2006, 08:46 AM Wrote:click
[right][snapback]106285[/snapback][/right]
Griefing and MMO's are joined at the hip. Too bad jerks ruined something intended to be human and touching.

Some of the comments at that link were typical of the callous attitude griefers take toward others.

Tune in to the next episode of "As the Stomach Turns," when we'll hear a Night Elf Rogue ganker munch down on a low level Tauren and comment

"Tastes like chicken."

The spamming of "LOL" by his Guildmates will provide a suitable Greek Chorus.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Knowing that they were on a PvP server, having experienced first hand the nature of interaction on that server, could they really claim to be surprised at what happened?
Tal,Apr 5 2006, 03:23 PM Wrote:Knowing that they were on a PvP server, having experienced first hand the nature of interaction on that server, could they really claim to be surprised at what happened?
[right][snapback]106287[/snapback][/right]

Your argument reminds me of the 'she asked for it' excuse used by rapists.

Knowing that they are holding a funeral for a deceased guild member, in a contested area because it was the deceased's favourite zone, would you gather a raiding party and attack them?

More details

- The funeral was announced on the realms forum.
- They were taping the event for the deceased's family.
- It took place at Winterspring because the deceased liked the zone.
- A competing guild attacked and killed everyone.
- Then proceeds to post such nice comments as:

> 'Even in her death, she has contributed to the server by giving us a sweet 19 honor. I would like to thank her for that'
> 'I would like to buy her account. Please PM me info. I always wanted to own a dead woman'
> 'First off I wish I were undead so I could have cannibalized her corpse'

- People like Tal then blame it on bad planning.

People like this deserve to get cancer and die painfully. Sorry if I offended your feelings, Tal.
Nothing is impossible if you believe in it enough.

Median 2008 mod for Diablo II
<span style="color:gray">New skills, new AIs, new items, new challenges...
06.dec.2006: Median 2008 1.44
I'm not blaming anyone and the rape analogy is weak. I would have expected better from you.

Brother Laz,Apr 5 2006, 10:48 AM Wrote:Knowing that they are holding a funeral for a deceased guild member, in a contested area because it was the deceased's favourite zone, would you gather a raiding party and attack them?
[right][snapback]106289[/snapback][/right]

What would I do? I wouldn't crash the party but then again thats why I rolled on a PvE server.
Just a day or two ago, on my server, an alliance guild attempted to have an RP wedding between two people married in real life, in a contested zone. On a PvP server. This was not announced on the realm forums, or anywhere else for that matter. Just before it started, one of their low level guild mates deleted all of his alliance characters, rolled a horde character, and stood in Orgrimmar telling people that a pair of night elves were getting married while PvP flagged. Over 100 horde appeared pretty much out of nowhere and basically ripped the entire ceremony apart.

I thought it was great. Gorefiend is not an RP server. You can RP all you like, but it's not gonna stop the PvP.

A funeral, though? That's kinda overboard.
Would I crash the funeral?

Hell yes.

Would I post the crap that they did, which is the real reason alot of people were offended?

No. That's just poor sportsmanship.

There's been at least one "funeral" (turned out she was faking her death to get away from her ex, DRAMA OMGZ) on Kil'Jaeden. For a druid, so it was in moonglade. I'd never met her, I was hoping a brawl would start. Not many hordelings showed up, so it was mostly pretty dull.

Games are primitive. Games express only the most basic aspects of human emotion and society. Anything beyond kill or be killed is only in the player's mind- the software doesn't support it.

MMO's are the next step in the humanizing of the digital frontier. THey're not games of chance or challenge or even really to tell stories; they're social activities.

Part of being human is being able to express sorrow over death, or joy over love -both are celebrated with formalized gatherings. Gathering people together, grouping, is something MMO's excel at. Funerals and weddings in game are inevitable (and have been going on for a decade). Watch for bachelor parties and baby showers in the future.

Society changes, technology evolves, and a new generation, raised from the cradle with the shrill humming of hard drives, will define how far into cyberspace "Real Life" social interactions extend.

The future may very well be a self-imposed matrix rather than Logan's crowded metropolis. No reality instead of virtual reality.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
That's just the nature of *many* players on a PvP server. And that's why I don't play on them. The asshats outweigh any good points for me.

Edit: Oops, edited out Rinnhart's quote, not pointing fingers at him. It wasn't the crashing, it was the posting and 'oh, look, we're so cool!'
--Mav
I'm a carebear at heart.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Apr 5 2006, 02:37 PM Wrote:I'm a carebear at heart.
[right][snapback]106304[/snapback][/right]

Carebear STARE!

P.S. I probably didn't make this more clear earlier but my initial response was not to square blame onto the organizers but to remark on their surprised reaction to the funeral crashers. After all that kind of boorish behavior isn't limited to PvP servers - I've seen havoc on Stormrage when folks crash weddings in Stormwind.
Tal,Apr 5 2006, 12:43 PM Wrote:I probably didn't make this more clear earlier but my initial response was not to square blame onto the organizers but to remark on their surprised reaction to the funeral crashers. After all that kind of boorish behavior isn't limited to PvP servers - I've seen havoc on Stormrage when folks crash weddings in Stormwind.
[right][snapback]106305[/snapback][/right]

I say, by all means, blame the organizers.

Planning a somber event and publicly advertising it in a space primarily populated by kids hidden by anonymity? Holding it in a higly travelled unprotected space at that?

Sort of like holding an outdoor wedding in Florida during Monsoon season and getting upset if it rains. Or like telling your children to play in a busy street and being surprised if they get hit by a car. You know the situation. You know the environment. Adults plan accordingly.
Mavfin,Apr 5 2006, 07:30 PM Wrote:That's just the nature of *many* players on a PvP server.&nbsp; And that's why I don't play on them.&nbsp; The asshats outweigh any good points for me.[right][snapback]106303[/snapback][/right]

Which is why killing them is so. much. fun. Especially when they log onto alts of the opposing faction and complain to you.

Back on topic, I think the funeal is a really sweet and touching thing to do. Put in the situation of someone from the opposite faction, I'd love to show up, politely and discretely gank (it's possible, IMO) a visitor or two, and give the disceased a /bow, /salute, and perhaps even a final /dance.

But ruining it the way that guild did was tasteless and barbaric. Genocide, and other *wonderful* phrases come to mind.

(On a side note, I think it was silly not to have 50% of the people there wearing MC/Reckless charge hats and for not having some allied guilds on guard. It's easy enough to control traffic into winterspring. :P That said, it was by no means the fault of the hosting guild.)
Was it the hosting guild's "fault"? No.

Should they have expected that? Yes.

It was unwise to hold the memorial in contested territory, given the ruleset of the server. That much is obvious. They should have held such a service in friendly territory.
See you in Town,
-Z
If I go into the street I should expect that there's a chance a car will hit me. This, however, does not relieve the driver of any responsibility when he runs me over on purpose.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[wcip]Angel,Apr 17 2006, Wrote:If I go into the street I should expect that there's a chance a car will hit me. This, however, does not relieve the driver of any responsibility when he runs me over on purpose.
[right][snapback]107417[/snapback][/right]

Commiting vehicular homicide on pedestrians is not analogous to engaging in PvP in a contested zone on a PvP server.
[wcip]Angel,Apr 17 2006, Wrote:If I go into the street I should expect that there's a chance a car will hit me. This, however, does not relieve the driver of any responsibility when he runs me over on purpose.
[right][snapback]107417[/snapback][/right]

However, if I try to hold a solemn service in the middle of a demolition derby, I am sort of asking for trouble and should not be too surprised when it hits.
For once, I agree with you Rinnhart.

I don't agree with the posts (though the ones Brother Laz quoted were pretty funny), but it's a game - even if the deceased really DID die In Real Life™.

Crashing weddings and killing the newlyweds so that their corpses land on top of each other tends to be more amusing, though :)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.