What would you think of....
Baajikiil,Apr 18 2003, 02:59 PM Wrote:Well, I got bored today, and made 2 characters on the west account.  One is a lvl 19 barb who had some help to finish normal(I usually play HC only).  The other is Poison_Creeper, an HC druid who's specialty is fairly obvious...
I was concerned that those of us on east were getting too far ahead so I played Poison_Creeper for a while. There's a reason I don't play hardcore. Joking -- actually I left him in good shape! We rescued Cain and did the Countess, then reached the Outer Cloister. Found a couple of good pelts.

How well does poison creeper work at the higher levels?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
onlyPets is now level 37 in act 3 of nightmare.

Dual socketed war hat was found and given topaz for a sum of 68% Magic find (amulet included). An act 1 imbue was used on some boots (of which he lacked) that turned out nicely to provide faster run/walk, stamina drain -50% and some resistances to all.

Bear has reached level 8 and can hold his own quite well. I found the magic find hat can be used excusively as he doesn't need the mana for casting.

Noteable finds: Four-socketed ancient armor, frostburn from Andy, Civerbs guard, rare battle boots, rare bone shield, ethereal grim shield @250+ defense. Unique flail, The general's Tan Do Li sold for lack of useful mods.

Low quality gems sold, many upgraded. Sorry if you really like runes, but useless duplicate runs were cubbed/sold (how many el runes does onlyPets need, honestly). Ral Ort Tal were saved for an ancients pledge, but one connection interrupted later they had dissappeared. No matter, resistances are doing alright, and Act 5 will be here again soon enough.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
LavCat,Apr 21 2003, 10:32 AM Wrote:How well does poison creeper work at the higher levels?
There's a great thread over at the Amazon Basin about the uses of Poison Creeper at higher levels. I believe there's also a post about the three vines in our own Strategy Forum...
I've been messing around a bit with passOnly in USEast, she has vanquished Nihlathak now :) I've made her a Stealth Serpentskin armour and I was about to cube a shasmir I found with three chippeds when the realm kicked me out. Meh, I'm back to Europe.
Quote:There's a great thread over at the Amazon Basin about the uses of Poison Creeper at higher levels. I believe there's also a post about the three vines in our own Strategy Forum...

I read a thread about the mechanics of poison creeper at diabloii.net(for shame!), and it was quite interesting to me. It's obviously not an uber skill, but with good planning I think it can be alot of fun to play with. That's why I decided to go with it, even though its not powerful it's quite interesting.

Someday(next time I get bored :)), maybe I'll PM someone and get the PW for the account and play again.
LavCat,Apr 21 2003, 05:07 AM Wrote:Ah, no, the uniques *are* in D2C.  Uniques carried over get level requirements same as ones found in LoD.
Doh! Forgot about that conversion. For some reason I thought uniques that originally came from D2C stayed, well, limitless. That's the best word I can think of to describe the "no lvl req" of the old school uniques. Still, it might be fun to make an elitist. Well, in classic maybe. In LoD, it seems like uniques are way too overpowered and they easily beat out rares and sets.

Quote:I had experimented with multiple sets on the same characters.  Unfortunately at the time there was a bug such that only the last equiped set had bonuses.  If one could believe the character screen, which I think in this case was correct.  In one of the patches that bug was fixed, but I never went back to experiment with those characters.
Ah yes. I remember reading about that bug now. I think this was why I never tried to complete more than one set at a time. At least back in the good ol' days :)

Quote:Berserker's and Hsarus' can be combined, as can Hsarus' and Angelic.
I was actually thinking of the BK set and something like the Cow King one too. I think Iratha's and the Disciple can be done too with the BK set. Let me check.

*looks in the Arreat Summit*

Yup. Just looked at the complete stats too, and wow, the BK set and the Disciple (when finished) would make a pretty powerful combo. 550% dmg to demons? +2 to skills? +85% to resists (not counting individual resists)?

*drools*

The only thing I note that's missing is leech of some kind, but that's what rings and an Arreat's Face are for, right? ;)
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Wow, Only Pets is soaring....looks like OPM is a close second (well, sorta close.) Assuming it hasn't been done by 7 PM eastrn time today (God dang finals) she willfinish off act 5, blast through act 1 NM, and probably halt after vanquishing Radament.....or perhaps a little further if anyone playes her today....
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
OPM is now a slayer at clvl 31!

She defeated the ancients is an easy fight at level 29 and gained one level plus enough to leave her barely a sliver away from 31. She achieved 31 somewhere in the worldstone keep.

This was a tough run for OPM, and she suffered several (read very many!) deaths. The firstwas to a pack of regular frenzytaurs (moon lords I think). She then faired well until facing Ventar the Unholy. (Colenzo and Achmel were easy, and Bartuc was after a quick trip to town to change into Sparkling Maile. :)

However I made a big mistake and allowed OPM to get swarmed by the Venom Lords (didn't use Valk or Decoy AT ALL) and got killed twice before I managed to :) retrieve her body.

Lister was pure hell, and killed me before I ever saw him on the screen. (once again I failed to begin the fight in a god position. DO NOT DO THIS AGAINST LISTER!!!).
The rest of the figh went fairly well, though many many many (fifteen minutes later) many many potions were consumed. I thought about parking him by the stairs but decided it was too cheesy.

No deaths were suffered to baal, but it was an agonizingly long and boring slugfest.

It read something like this.

Valk, decoy, swing, swing, swing, swing, valk, decoy, swing swing.........And he just took FOREVER to die. I did notice one very interesting thing in this fight.

Previously when baal copies himself, one of the "baals" will have the D in Demon directly under the B in Baal (can't remember which.) However, this time both of the Ds were offset to the right!!! Was this change in 1.09D??? I had a hell of a time distinguishing between the two as OPM's sword did so little damage it seemed as though neither was the fake baal!
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Popping back in with another update on LL-Piege. She has just defeated Duriel at level 23 and boy, was it easy. I never even got hit! I was partied with a heavily twinked Tank Barb who absorbed the hits like a sponge. I just stood there and shot an arrow, sometimes sending a Trap his way. Even my Prayer Merc survived (who found a VERY nice rare Polearm, I must say).
Another quick update: LL-Piege just slaughtered Mephisto without her HP dropping at all. She did this in a 1-person game, obviously solo. She just ran around with Mephisto poisoned and he keeled over after three arrows.
[iSeems like nobody has trouble with mephisto. All you need is either decent resists all around, or high light resist and low everything else, or a little spare time to dodge....

OnlyPass_Magic awoke and found herself in a familiar feeling bunk. Memories of her nightmare still remained as she returned to the concious world of the awake. A strange sense of Deja vu crept over her.... she had been here once before.

The morning sun shone into her sleep filled eyes as she stepped outside. She was in a small encampment surrounded by a wooden palisade and gaurded by......

A strange sense of doom filled her mind. She had been here before! This was the encampment of the rogues, the Sisters of the Sightless eye. Barely controlling her growing state of panic, she ran to the center of town where she found Warriv (but hadn't he traveled to Lut Gholein???) and almost said the words before he did. "Greetings Stranger....."

And then, at that moment, at that one solitary slice of time, it dawned her. While she had previously believed she had awakened into a peaceful world, free of the primevils and rampant with the light. She found herself, instead, trapped in the most horrible of nightmares a human soul could possibly endure....The question is, can OnlyPass_Magic endure it...?

So, as she had done a dozen or more timesbefore, she donned her armour, took up her sword and sheild, and charged out into the wilderness.....
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
God I love being a trend setter! :P Nicely done! :D

-Wapptor
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell
I played LL-barb on USEast today. I found a +14 MF ring and gambled +21 MF boots. With both these items on I found moonrise, civerb's cudgel, and hsauru's buckler (sp?). I also found various low level rares to update other pieces of eq. I kept all chips, jewels, and runes that I found in case anyone has plans for them.

Since civerb's cudgel seems to be much better then his current polearm, I used it even though he has no mace mastery. I played him until he reached lvl 23 and had just finished act3. I played in 1-3 people games, but by myself. If anyone is counting, I haven't died (yet).

I didn't spend any stat or skill points because I have no idea what direction this char was meant to take. I kept the same merc for the same reason.

I only request that who ever plays him next keep the civerb's cudgel. I like that weapon even if he is a polearm guy.

He needs resist eq very badly, and if anyone can find him a +1 mace mastery helm, please hold on to it, even if you keep it in the stash.
USWest Hardcore Realms
Accounts: mikedok5, mikedok6
That's LL_Baba, not Barb.....somebody on East is already made LL_Barb.

I believe LL_Baba is nearly old enough for Natural Resist, so hopefllythat will help. ( I haven't played him in several days.)

He was intended, when I first created him, to be a "cookie cutter" barb, but as I am having loads of fun playing OPM that...well...I don't care :) .

(Whirlwinding sounds dull anyway)

Mikedok, please, by all means, build him however you like!!!!!! Your account as much as anyone else's!

Honestly I am more curious how everyone else will develope a character, and how that compares to the way I had planned, than to actually ending up with the character I had expected. I like surprises!

In other news, I didn't play OPM as far as I had planned, and just did the Den of Evil.

I did spend quite some time running back and forth out of act 4 shopping, until I found a nice Long Sword. Though it doesn't have as good max damage as the 1-88 lightning damage crystal sword, but it has a higher minimum damage and works much more effectively with critical strike. I kept the crystal sword, however, in case anyone had a liking for it.
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Quote:Someday(next time I get bored ), maybe I'll PM someone and get the PW for the account and play again.

Okay, got bored pretty fast... Played poison creeper again, just finished act4 with him at lvl 27.

You'ld be surprised how easy diablo was for him. It was silly. Cast poison creeper then run in circles around D. He continually walks back and forth on top of the poison "mat" from the creeper, and is repoisoned over and over.

Also, the creeper is apparently immune to certain missile attacks(if not all). A big example would be all of diablo's fire and lightning attacks. They had no affect whatsoever on the poison creeper, even if it rears up right into the lightning hose. Of course, it does die in one physical attack, but he rarely got a chance to attack it. All in all I think it took about ten creepers(and ten minutes) to kill him in a one player game. Not bad for a skill I've never seen *anyone* use in realm play(at least over lvl 12 anyway).

As for pertinent information, poison creeper is lvl 27 with, str 45 dex 20 and all other points in Vit. Fire\lightning\poison resists are all around 70 with cold at 30. Noteable finds are civerbs cudgel, el rune from hellforge(yes!!), crushflange from diablo, isenharts horns, and a horadric staff that I somehow managed to keep after act 2(I used the staff until I went after diablo, and decided to make a sheild).

He has skill lvl 23 in poison creeper(+3 helm), and the other points in direwolf and oak. It looks like he will end up as a pets only druid as well as the one on east :)

Isolde is his trusty companion, and helps out alot vs single opponents, while the wolves buy time for the creeper to do its work when fighting a large group of enemies.

Oh yes, I also have to mention how amusing the comments I get on B.net about my build are. It seems everyone has to share their view on poison creeper druids with me after seeing me play :lol:

EDIT: one sentence didn't make no sense at all.
Baajikiil,Apr 22 2003, 03:01 AM Wrote:Okay, got bored pretty fast...  Played poison creeper again, just finished act4 with him at lvl 27.
And I went back to playing onlyPets!

At first I thought the account was hacked as the superior sash was missing. I knew that was too much of a temptation for anyone. I should not have mentioned it.

He was almost an entire difficulty level higher than when last we met. We raised the siege of Harrogath, but I decided that at 43 he was a bit too precocious for where he was playing -- besides, he was either rushed a lot or people cleared act III nightmare in one long run, except for Great Marsh and the Durance. I thought he should take it easy and fatten up a bit.

I made a couple changes. First I noticed Jelani was fighting with no sword or armor. None. This was strange, as I had left him with a cobalt sword (10%), good armor and shield. When I found him he had a shield of sorts, and he was still wearing the crown I left him with.

I made the decision that Jelani had served well, and I retired him in favor of Hazade, a might mercenary. For Hazade I was able to fashion a couple useful trinkets: a Malice Poleaxe and a Strength Superior Scythe. He is unsure which he currently prefers.

I also decided that FenrisWulf was right, and onlyPets was cut out to be a hunter. If I had much doubt, going hand to hand with Shenk's friends convinced me otherwise. Unfortunately he did not happen to have a bow. I found a four socket repeating crossbow and stuck in two perfect emeralds. Cheesy, I know, for a hunter, but effective. I found a two socket one and was going to make Zephyr, but his Ort rune was no longer in inventory.

He is still in possession of his melee equipment, except for Civerb's Ward, Gleamscythe, and Bloodrise -- which I put on a mule in case anybody wants them.

Interesting how different people favor different attributes. I had left onlyPets with enough hit recovery to make the second hit recovery breakpoint. Tonight he didn't even have enough for the first. He also had lower resistance. Yet he had managed to make Act V nightmare.

He is now 44, and Hazade is 41. OnlyPets had no real problems, but Hazade is still a bit too fragile. We shall see what time will bring. A level 15 bear with might aura is most impressive.

Edit: Jelani's sword was +10% lightning res, not cobalt...need sleep.

Edit #2: Langolier, I owe you an apology. I just re-read your last post. I did not realize that shield on Jelani was 250 def -- I sold it when I retired Jelani.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
My writing skills suck. Therefor, all you get is another mini update of LL-Piege. Today she marched across Hell in a blast of lightning and venomos arrows, nothing standing much of a chance against her and Neesaj's Pike. Izual fell in about thirty seconds Piege's poison worked it's magic and her Lightning Sentries blasted him to pieces. Hephasto was a piece of cake, all I had to do was stay mobile while his nervous system decayed. The Chaos Sanctuary showed me once again why it's my favorite area of the game. Needless to say, Diablo and his minions fell in hail of arrows and lightning bolts. Neesaj died to Diablo for the first time (that I know of). In the snowy city of Harrogath, her bow and traps were still going very strong. Bloody Foothills? Bloody easy. I never even SAW Shenk on my screen. Barbarians were freed with a few close calls and Anya was freed from her icy prison. Now LL-Piege is level 30 and about to tackle Nihlthak. Icky, Venom doesn't change the graphic of my bow! Now I'm just wondering why no one plays LL-Piege besides me!
Quote:Now I'm just wondering why no one plays LL-Piege besides me!
Well I looked at her equipment and stats last night.
How come no one plays poison creeper but me? :)

I guess some builds are not that exciting for others. Also, as both of them are hardcore(IIRC), it seems like the person who gets them killed would be embarassed.

Maybe I'll play piege a little sometime soon, I don't die too much :)

PS: I know I'll get PKed the first game after saying that.
Well as far as playing the other builds.....

I have tried to play both druids, but couldn't really get ino it....I like taing an actie role in the slaughter!

The assasin is appealing, but I refuse to play her until I have had ample time topractice with the assin on my account. (She still dies very regularly even massiely twinked and I don't want to destroy the HC character.)

I plan to play LL_Baba once the vanity of OPM wears off. He will certailny be a...challenging...build.
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Yet another update for LL-Piege!

Piege has FLOWN through Act 5. With Venom and Death Sentry now in her arsenal she ripped through the snowy mountains. Lightning Sentry developed a much larger range than from Act 3 and I learned to "scout", essentially with this beautiful piece of trapping material. Nihlathak's (How do you spell that crazy Necromancer's name?) minions were slain from off-screen and then disposed of with Death Sentry. Then, Neeraj just pinned him into a corner and bashed him while Piege sat around and filed her fingernails.

The Ancients? More like ancient history, if you ask me. Against every single major boss to date all Piege had to do was stay mobile. Cast a couple of Lightning Sentries in front of her enemies or toss back a couple arrows. The Ancients were no different. Neeraj ripped Talic in two because my arrow/mana potion count was depleted.

Worldstone Keep was approached with much prudence and heavy reliance on Lightning Sentry scouting to blow up the boom-booms. Only a Fanat-Enchanted pack of Frenzytaurs (Moon Lords?) caused me to jump, but I managed to trap them up against a wall while I was on the other side and crisp them with Lightning Sentries.

Baal's Minions? Routine. Lister's heart got pierced by a poisonous arrow and Bartuc got impaled by Neeraj's spear. What was that thing about staying mobile? Oh yeah, do it against all bosses. Baal got the same treatment. I would run around in circles, doding the blue wedges while I set my traps. I only got one arrow off, and that was when he had just a sliver of HP left. Say hello to Destroyer LL-Piege!