Final Stess Test Download
The final stress test appears to be available for download now if you log into the WOW site. It is a nearly 2600 MB download (let us all hear it for DeeBye).
Thenryb,Nov 1 2004, 03:12 PM Wrote:It is a nearly 2600 MB download (let us all hear it for DeeBye).
[right][snapback]58807[/snapback][/right]
Jokes on you, I upgraded to 3.0 Mbit service last Thursday!
Thenryb,Nov 1 2004, 02:12 PM Wrote:The final stress test appears to be available for download now if you log into the WOW site. It is a nearly 2600 MB download (let us all hear it for DeeBye).
I'd like to just see what kind of news the beta site has, but it's stuck in an infinite loop trying to log me in. Silly thing. I don't want to try to download; I just want to be informed. Ah well.
Intolerant monkey.
DeeBye,Nov 1 2004, 07:30 PM Wrote:Jokes on you, I upgraded to 3.0 Mbit service last Thursday!
[right][snapback]58809[/snapback][/right]
Well, then, get cracking bud! I need your upload!
Thenryb,Nov 1 2004, 03:48 PM Wrote:Well, then, get cracking bud! I need your upload!
[right][snapback]58813[/snapback][/right]
I'm uploading at a pretty steady 40 kb/s, but my download speeds are all over the place. I hope it gets better as more people start seeding.
DeeBye,Nov 1 2004, 08:51 PM Wrote:I'm uploading at a pretty steady 40 kb/s, but my download speeds are all over the place.  I hope it gets better as more people start seeding.
[right][snapback]58828[/snapback][/right]
Both rates for me are over the place and slow as molasses. Download speed ranges from 2-20 and upload about 6-20. Moreover, attempting to surf the net while downloading is nearly impossible.
Thenryb,Nov 1 2004, 05:01 PM Wrote:Both rates for me are over the place and slow as molasses. Download speed ranges from 2-20 and upload about 6-20. Moreover, attempting to surf the net while downloading is nearly impossible.
[right][snapback]58830[/snapback][/right]

Sounds like your upstream is getting saturated. I bet that when you're downloading at 2k, you're uploading at 20k, and when you're uploading at 6k, you're downloading at 20k.

I always seem to reiterate my point about upstream saturation all the time. I haven't attempted to download the latest patch, but it sounds like it'll be the same ol' same ol' with regards to ADSL and Blizzard's poor BitTorrent implementation. BitTorrent + ADSL = a cap on the max upstream allowed and the number of connected peers is required, or else your modem will choke.

Good luck with your download!
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Treesh,Nov 1 2004, 07:36 PM Wrote:I'd like to just see what kind of news the beta site has, but it's stuck in an infinite loop trying to log me in.  Silly thing.  I don't want to try to download; I just want to be informed.  Ah well.
[right][snapback]58810[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, I'm getting something funny too. I was able to get to the WoW main page, and got pulled away. Now I go back to the main page, and the actual content and the right hand side of the page does not load.

Anyone else finding funky things like that happening? I've already cleared my internet cache to no avail....

SaxyCorp
Saxywoo,Nov 1 2004, 06:37 PM Wrote:Yeah, I'm getting something funny too.  I was able to get to the WoW main page, and got pulled away.  Now I go back to the main page, and the actual content and the right hand side of the page does not load.

Anyone else finding funky things like that happening?  I've already cleared my internet cache to no avail....

SaxyCorp
[right][snapback]58844[/snapback][/right]

Looks like their server went kablooie.
Tal,Nov 1 2004, 10:57 PM Wrote:Looks like their server went kablooie.
[right][snapback]58847[/snapback][/right]

Can anyone post the link to the download client? Or would it even work?
Saxywoo,Nov 1 2004, 11:12 PM Wrote:Can anyone post the link to the download client?  Or would it even work?
[right][snapback]58853[/snapback][/right]

And another thing..... this doesn't help me in getting my wife into the game...... :unsure:
Saxywoo,Nov 1 2004, 06:12 PM Wrote:Can anyone post the link to the download client?  Or would it even work?
[right][snapback]58853[/snapback][/right]

You can grab the Blizzard Downloader from: http://sos.cwal.net/img/world_of_warcraft_..._downloader.exe

Note: who knows how long this will work. But it should get you going with the downloader while Blizzard figures out their website.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Saxywoo,Nov 1 2004, 11:16 PM Wrote:And another thing..... this doesn't help me in getting my wife into the game......  :unsure:
[right][snapback]58854[/snapback][/right]
I don't know if you were both playing on a single account or not, but I wonder if it is possible to get a second account by subscribing to file planet and downloading the final stress test from there?
http://sancus.off.net/wow_open_beta.torrent

This is the torrent file if you want to use that. Both seem pretty slow, although at one point my Blizz downloader started showing 0 DL (yes, even with capped upload). So I switched to torrent, lets see how it goes.
lemekim,Nov 1 2004, 11:35 PM Wrote:http://sancus.off.net/wow_open_beta.torrent

This is the torrent file if you want to use that. Both seem pretty slow, although at one point my Blizz downloader started showing 0 DL (yes, even with capped upload). So  I switched to torrent, lets see how it goes.
[right][snapback]58861[/snapback][/right]
That link seems to be broken. At least I am getting an error message when I click on it.
DeeBye,Nov 1 2004, 04:51 PM Wrote:I'm uploading at a pretty steady 40 kb/s, but my download speeds are all over the place.  I hope it gets better as more people start seeding.
[right][snapback]58828[/snapback][/right]

I have no upload, but my download is nice - ~30 - ~60 KB/s. Can't complain with those speeds. ;)

I'll be sure to leave it up and running to help perpetuate the flow of it, if only for us Lurkers. :D

Edit -
Make that ~30 - ~80 KB/s. :D . . . Ah crud. Upload just started, and now I'm downloading at ~15 - 20. Bummer. Upload is around ~10 - ~25 KB/s.

Here's the funny thing, though - I used the client link provided by Bolty and, get this - it's downloading them into a Mac OSX folder! Figure that one out, eh? Something tells me my download is going to be for naught. :/ That would REALLY suck. :P
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Nov 1 2004, 09:41 PM Wrote:I have no upload, but my download is nice - ~30 - ~60 KB/s. Can't complain with those speeds. ;)

I've just shut down the downloader, but for the entire time I had it running my upstream bandwidth was completely saturated. In that time, I downloaded ~500 MB and uploaded probably 750 MB. My internet connection was completely unusable. I've just now restarted the downloader to see if I can't get some better speeds.

30-60 KB/s is pretty lousy if you ask me. I've been on other large-file torrents from other sources that saw 150+ KB/s downloads with just a couple of seeders and maybe a dozen or so peers. You would think that with all the people jumping on this torrent that the speeds would be phemonenal, given the nature of bittorrent.
Roland,Nov 1 2004, 09:41 PM Wrote:I'll be sure to leave it up and running to help perpetuate the flow of it, if only for us Lurkers. :D

Same here.
Roland,Nov 1 2004, 09:41 PM Wrote:Edit -
Make that ~30 - ~80 KB/s. :D . . . Ah crud. Upload just started, and now I'm downloading at ~15 - 20. Bummer. Upload is around ~10 - ~25 KB/s.

Yep, that's about what I saw. I sure wish Blizzard allowed us to use REAL bittorrent clients to manage this download. Someone needs to explain to them what "saturated upstream" means for the the entire process.

Roland,Nov 1 2004, 09:41 PM Wrote:Here's the funny thing, though - I used the client link provided by Bolty and, get this - it's downloading them into a Mac OSX folder! Figure that one out, eh? Something tells me my download is going to be for naught. :/ That would REALLY suck. :P
[right][snapback]58885[/snapback][/right]
Does your folder look like this?
[Image: macosx.png]
If so, that's what even the Windows client looks like. At least, that's what it's looked like for every other full client download. Stick with it.

During the time I spent composing this post, I downloaded 4.64 MB and I've uploaded 7.64 MB. My upload rate is maxed again, and I'm stuck on 6.00 KB/s download right now :(
DeeBye,Nov 1 2004, 10:28 PM Wrote:I've just shut down the downloader, but for the entire time I had it running my upstream bandwidth was completely saturated.  In that time, I downloaded ~500 MB and uploaded probably 750 MB.  My internet connection was completely unusable.  I've just now restarted the downloader to see if I can't get some better speeds.

30-60 KB/s is pretty lousy if you ask me.  I've been on other large-file torrents from other sources that saw 150+ KB/s downloads with just a couple of seeders and maybe a dozen or so peers.  You would think that with all the people jumping on this torrent that the speeds would be phemonenal, given the nature of bittorrent.
Same here.
Yep, that's about what I saw.  I sure wish Blizzard allowed us to use REAL bittorrent clients to manage this download.  Someone needs to explain to them what "saturated upstream" means for the the entire process.
Does your folder look like this?
[Image: macosx.png]
If so, that's what even the Windows client looks like.  At least, that's what it's looked like for every other full client download.  Stick with it.

During the time I spent composing this post, I downloaded 4.64 MB and I've uploaded 7.64 MB.  My upload rate is maxed again, and I'm stuck on 6.00 KB/s download right now  :(
[right][snapback]58888[/snapback][/right]

I cancelled it. I signed up for Fileplanet ($7.90 for one month), and got a key. I'm sure there's still plenty left, although I'm currently on the waiting list, I think. Not positive though.

Quote:Congratulations! You have been accepted into the World of Warcraft® Final Stress Test and Open Beta.

Your unique World of Warcraft Open Beta key is reserved for you! Guaranteed!!! Due to high demand, we are distributing keys in groups. You will get your key as soon as your group is released. Please do not resubmit your information because it will not get you in any faster. Watch for your Final Stress Test and Open Beta key email and have fun!

Wish me luck. :D I'll see all you Lurkers on.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Thenryb,Nov 1 2004, 12:12 PM Wrote:The final stress test appears to be available for download now if you log into the WOW site. It is a nearly 2600 MB download (let us all hear it for DeeBye).

Another typical Beta fiasco from the looks of it...you would think Blizzard would have learned by now that their downloader it horrid and should be tossed.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Roland,Nov 1 2004, 10:40 PM Wrote:I cancelled it. I signed up for Fileplanet ($7.90 for one month), and got a key. I'm sure there's still plenty left, although I'm currently on the waiting list, I think. Not positive though.
[right][snapback]58891[/snapback][/right]
I signed up for Fileplanet as well and am stuck on the page that says:

"Please wait a few moments while we process your order. "

It just keeps reloading and reloading...

I jus' wanna do a straight dl without the BT crap.