Final Stess Test Download
Thecla,Nov 2 2004, 10:02 PM Wrote:Well, it's much more the principle than the amount --- I'm not going to give FilePlanet a nickel to sign up for an "open" stress test, and I'm sorry Bliz is participating in such things.
[right][snapback]59003[/snapback][/right]
I would have to agree with you. There was, however, an overriding factor that got me to go along with the folly. Right now, I am very much in need of something to waste some time and lift my spirits. When I looked at $7.90, I thought, "a 2 hour movie or play an engrossing (if accounts are credible) game a week early". Somehow, the value just seemed to be there. I might even explore FilePlanet a little more and pillage it of files that might catch my eye down the line. A cable connection and a month to download can do a lot of damage to my remaining hard drive space. :)

hmmm... thought the download would be done but saw this when I opened up the progress meter "1762866 KB of 1570273 KB" - they must be giving me extra because I'm such a nice guy :lol:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Thenryb,Nov 1 2004, 02:12 PM Wrote:The final stress test appears to be available for download now if you log into the WOW site. It is a nearly 2600 MB download (let us all hear it for DeeBye).
[right][snapback]58807[/snapback][/right]

2 corrupt downloads later and I'm off to my third attempt. At this rate, the game will be 6-months out and I'll STILL be trying to download the beta.

Someone get me a gun. Or some percosets. I've got a BAD tension headache... Christ I need a break.

Edit:
I'm so dumb. I had to use Winzip 9.0, which Blizzard specifically stated, to open the file. WinRAR would not work at all.

I feel like crying. I can't tell if it's with joy or sadness. But I feel like crying. I think I'll just play WoW instead.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Someone smart said this on Blizzard forums:

"Have someone send you the NEW clients WoW.exe and overwrite the one in your directory. There ya go, works as if you downloaded and reinstalled the 2.5gb "

Temp fix, probably will need redownload later, but meanwhile at least you could play. Shame I deleted all WoW files to make room for more WoW.
One of the bigger kahunas at Blizzard, EnoYIs, explained why closed beta testers had to download the new client even though there weren't any content changes:

Quote:Several technical changes were made to the client and installer. We had people re-download the client so that all the beta people will not need to re-install upon release of the game. You will just need to get a CD key and you're good to go.

Sounds like a cool reason to me. I hope it works out that way.

Quote:Well, it's much more the principle than the amount --- I'm not going to give FilePlanet a nickel to sign up for an "open" stress test, and I'm sorry Bliz is participating in such things.

Thecla, it's the "final" stress test, not an "open" stress test. Open beta will be starting in roughly a week. FilePlanet is providing a service, and they have a right to attempt to get some compensation for providing that service (and providing that much bandwidth and access to data is very expensive). If you as a consumer decide that they are charging too much or that their service is too bad, then you have the right not to purchase the service and instead wait a week to play a free game.
MongoJerry,Nov 3 2004, 07:33 PM Wrote:One of the bigger kahunas at Blizzard, EnoYIs, explained why closed beta testers had to download the new client even though there weren't any content changes:
Sounds like a cool reason to me.  I hope it works out that way.
Thecla, it's the "final" stress test, not an "open" stress test.  Open beta will be starting in roughly a week.  FilePlanet is providing a service, and they have a right to attempt to get some compensation for providing that service (and providing that much bandwidth and access to data is very expensive).  If you as a consumer decide that they are charging too much or that their service is too bad, then you have the right not to purchase the service and instead wait a week to play a free game.
[right][snapback]59079[/snapback][/right]

The thing is, right:

There's more than one way to download the client. You don't have to get it from Fileplanet. However, there's only one way to get a key so that you can actually play. And that's by purchasing a subscription from Fileplanet. Blizzard could have given out keys to people who wanted to play. But they didn't. Instead, they've obviously signed some kind of agreement with Fileplanet, where Fileplanet agrees to provide the bandwith to distribute the client and in return they get the lion's share (if not more) of the subscription profits.
MongoJerry,Nov 3 2004, 02:33 PM Wrote:FilePlanet is providing a service, and they have a right to attempt to get some compensation for providing that service (and providing that much bandwidth and access to data is very expensive).  If you as a consumer decide that they are charging too much or that their service is too bad, then you have the right not to purchase the service and instead wait a week to play a free game.

I dunno. Wheras before MMOGs were effectively pay-to-play betas gone retail, now we are literally paying-to-play betas. Maybe I'm a touch old fashioned, but something here doesen't seem right. <_<
MongoJerry,Nov 3 2004, 11:33 AM Wrote:Thecla, it's the "final" stress test, not an "open" stress test.&nbsp; Open beta will be starting in roughly a week.&nbsp; FilePlanet is providing a service, and they have a right to attempt to get some compensation for providing that service (and providing that much bandwidth and access to data is very expensive).&nbsp; If you as a consumer decide that they are charging too much or that their service is too bad, then you have the right not to purchase the service and instead wait a week to play a free game.

Final shminal.

Of course I can choose what I want to do, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. As I said, FilePlanet has every right to get compensation for providing a faster download (relative, say, to Bliz's BitTorrent distribution) of the huge WoW client to those who choose to subscribe, and they have no absolutely no obligation to provide me with any free bandwidth. What I don't like is the exclusive nature of the arrangement between Bliz and FilePlanet. But I guess game beta's are mostly about marketing anyway.
Thecla,Nov 3 2004, 07:40 PM Wrote:Final shminal.

Of course I can choose what I want to do, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. As I said, FilePlanet has every right to get compensation for providing a faster download (relative, say, to Bliz's BitTorrent distribution) of the huge WoW client to those who choose to subscribe, and they have no absolutely no obligation to provide me with any free bandwidth. What I don't like is the exclusive nature of the arrangement between Bliz and FilePlanet. But I guess game beta's are mostly about marketing anyway.
[right][snapback]59137[/snapback][/right]

Playing Devil's Advocate:
Name 2 other sites that could and would have done what FilePlanet did, i.e. hosting such a massive file with an expected user download rate in the THOUSANDS. Then you can complain about exclusivity. ;)

I hate Fileplanet just as much as the next guy (maybe more; just look at my rants from the last 3 days!), but I signed up for a one-month subscription to get into the beta. It had NOTHING to do with FP and everything to do with Blizzard, and in all honesty, I really don't care who hosted it, so long as I got it. ;)

I would PREFER if it would have been someone other than FP, but really, who else is there?
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Nov 3 2004, 10:31 PM Wrote:Playing Devil's Advocate:
Name 2 other sites that could and would have done what FilePlanet did, i.e. hosting such a massive file with an expected user download rate in the THOUSANDS. Then you can complain about exclusivity. ;)
[right][snapback]59171[/snapback][/right]

I repeat, I have no problem with FilePlanet making the WoW client available, and charging an appropriate fee to those who want to pay it for downloading it from them. That's a good thing. My problem is with the fact that Blizzard made keys available only through FilePlanet (also no problem if Bliz limits the number of keys they give out).

But why should someone have to subscribe with FilePlanet to get a key? That's what I resent -- things shouldn't be done that way IMO. At least in the previous open stress test, you could get a key from FP without paying for it. No doubt it's good marketing for FilePlanet and Blizzard gets a kickback, but that doesn't mean I like it.

Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing anyone who subscribed to FilePlanet. In fact, I must sheepishly admit that -- despite my protests -- after downloading the WoW client from Bliz using BitTorrent, and checking that my old open stress test key didn't work, I subscribed with FP to get a new one (still unarrived); but I resent the whole process, and it doesn't endear me one bit to Blizzard. They can, of course, do whatever they want, but they're acting more like SOE every day.

p.s. BTW, it looks to me like the $7.90 option is for a recurring monthly charge, unless you explicitly cancel your account with FP to prevent this. Bleh.
Thecla,Nov 4 2004, 03:27 AM Wrote:But why should someone have to subscribe with FilePlanet to get a key? That's what I resent -- things shouldn't be done that way IMO. At&nbsp; least in the previous open stress test, you could get a key from FP without paying for it. No doubt it's good marketing for FilePlanet and Blizzard gets a kickback, but that doesn't mean I like it.

[right][snapback]59175[/snapback][/right]

If I remember correctly, the first thousand keys given out by file planet went only to subscrbers in the first stress test. Only after those thousand keys were given out were any made available for free.

From fileplanet:
Quote:Are you charging people to play the Final Stress Test?
Blizzard is not charging a fee to play the final stress test or the open beta. However, to help defray the costs associated with distributing a large number of files and to keep our focus on finalizing World of Warcraft, we have partnered with FilePlanet for the distribution of the final stress test client, which is only available to FilePlanet subscribers. Subscription to FilePlanet carries with it a nominal fee.
and
Quote:Will you charge people to play the open beta?
No, the World of Warcraft open beta is absolutely free. Blizzard is not charging a fee for you to play the open beta.

From this and the comments on the WoW general forums, it appears that the charging of a key (subscription to fileplanet) is only to be occuring in this first week (stress test). After that there will be no fee for getting a key. Apparently at that time the client download at Fileplanet will be possibile to access without having a subscription and the keys will most likely then be availble directly from Blizzard rather that taking an extra step through Fileplanet to get one.

This is similar to the games buyouts in the Auction House. If you are willing to pay the buyout, then you win the auction right away and can go over and pick up the item in the mailbox. Want the lower price, then take chances on winning the auction wait till duration over. You are 'paying' to get into the open beta early; your choice.
Quote:Just to be clear, I'm not criticizing anyone who subscribed to FilePlanet. But I resent the whole process, and it doesn't endear me one bit to Blizzard. They can, of course, do whatever they want, but they're acting more like SOE every day.

That's where I draw the line.

1) Blizzard is a FAR cry from the hellbeast that is Sony Online Entertainment. To compare the two is to compare your average Joe citizen to Satan.

2) At least in the case of Planetside, SoE (or maybe just PS developers) have gone to great lengths to correct the problems inherrent in the game (not including a bias in favor of the NCs and against the TRs, but I digress) and, furthermore, have gone so far as to continually add new content AND improve existing content substantially.

You can be pissed that Blizzard made Fileplanet an exclusive partner for beta keys, but IMO, you're whining about a minor issue. Reason being? The Open Beta is only a week away - and that's ALL us FP subscribers are paying to get: 1 extra week of play. After that, everyone and their mother who wants to get on can and will, if my understanding is correct. It will be 100% free and open.

Of course, if I'm wrong, delete that whole last paragraph. ;) But as it is my understanding, the Open Beta will be just that - completely Open. Besides, the game is OFFICIALLY coming out on the 23rd - a mere 19 days from now. That means the Open Beta will last a whopping 10 days before the game hits retail shelves. If ya wanna whine, why not join me in resenting not getting into the Closed Beta? ;) Then I'll buy you a round of beers in empathy. ;)

Quote:p.s. BTW, it looks to me like the $7.90 option is for a recurring monthly charge, unless you explicitly cancel your account with FP to prevent this. Bleh.
[right][snapback]59175[/snapback][/right]

Name one subscription-based service that DOESN'T do this. Yeah, that's what I thought. :P Be thankful that, no matter when you cancel, you still get the full month you payed for. There ARE some companies who would screw you just that much, illegal or not.

P.S. - hope to see you in the beta. As it stands, I have 3 lurkers on my friends lists, and only 2 of them are ever on. Neither of them are anywhere NEAR me (they're both Gnomes, IIRC). :P Stupid lazy Gnomes who don't want to travel to see the world. Post your character name in the thread so I can add ya, and maybe we can team up for some group action. I have yet to set foot into a single instance, and I'm level 11. Sad, ain't it? :)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Nov 4 2004, 07:49 PM Wrote:P.S. - hope to see you in the beta. As it stands, I have 3 lurkers on my friends lists, and only 2 of them are ever on. Neither of them are anywhere NEAR me (they're both Gnomes, IIRC). :P Stupid lazy Gnomes who don't want to travel to see the world. Post your character name in the thread so I can add ya, and maybe we can team up for some group action. I have yet to set foot into a single instance, and I'm level 11. Sad, ain't it? :)
[right][snapback]59255[/snapback][/right]

No it is not sad that you have not stepped into an instance yet at level 11. The instances that are in place at this point in the game typically have about level 20 elite mobs in them. You would die quickly just by sticking your nose into one. Ask LavCat about her experience at having done so in the Stockades. ;)
i finished the download but now I think I have a broken computer
"this application has encountered a critical error:
ERROR #0 (0x85100000)
program: C:\PROGRAM FILES\WORLD OF
WARCRAFT\WOW.EXE
FILE:
C:\build\buildwow\ENGINE\sourse\gx\CGxDeviceD
3d\CGxD3dstate.cpp
line: 414
Expr: streamSub <= m_caps.m_numStreams

Press OK to terminate the other application"

Other times I've tried to download a game I got these errors which I think are related.

missing export
mfc 40.dll:5725

and

mss 32.dll: _ ail _set_digital_master_volume@ 8

Any one know how to fix these errors? My Windows ME came installed and I don't have disk.
I guess this question belongs in the lounge but maybe some one had the same problem with their download.
bernard shakey,Nov 4 2004, 07:18 PM Wrote:ERROR #0 (0x85100000)
[right][snapback]59270[/snapback][/right]
Did you check technical support on the World of Warcraft site? I was looking through it a couple days ago (for answers regarding graphics) and seem to remember specific reference to that error number.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Thenryb,Nov 1 2004, 07:12 PM Wrote:The final stress test appears to be available for download now if you log into the WOW site. It is a nearly 2600 MB download (let us all hear it for DeeBye).
[right][snapback]58807[/snapback][/right]

My God am I frustrated.

I've downloaded the Stress Test, fought through the installation (actually played Tech Support for my wife, who did the installing while I was sitting in traffic created by a 5 car pile-up), only to be left with the inability to get onto the Closed Beta PvP server for more than 3 minutes before I lose my connection and then the **^$#%#@ server won't let me back on.

Thanks for reading the rant.
Roland,Nov 4 2004, 03:49 PM Wrote:hope to see you in the beta. [right][snapback]59255[/snapback][/right]

I hope so too -- but the irony is that FilePlanet has never sent me a key for the Final Stress Test. My guess is they'd already ran out by the time I subscribed. Should've stood by my principles and just waited for the official Bliz beta, starting Nov 23. :)