Some help for a noob
Yeah, Humans, Dwarves and Gnomes definitely have the easiest early game leveling since they have easy access to each other's zones. You'll generally have to bounce between Westfall (the lands west of Elwynn Forest) and Loch Modan (the Dwarves version of Westfall, essentially) until you're high enough to start in Redridge (the lands east of Elwynn Forest). Although, like Bun-Bun said, Darnassus is a very cool place. Definitely my favorite city in the game and one of the only places that has an immersive feel to it.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
See, my rogue, who I levelled to 30 in the fastest I've ever had a character do, was in all three of the 'teen' zones before I really went to redridge at all. If you can get a warlock to get you to darkshore/darnassus, you can pick up all the lowbie quests around 18 .. and *foosh* 22 easily..
Ashock,Feb 22 2006, 01:36 AM Wrote:Ok, found Bolty's early powerlevel guide (thanks Bolty and The Claw). Found one very useful thing as far as just loading up on quests and doing them as I go along without going to town all the time. Big time saver. Seems simple but I did not think of it myself. Well, that is why I play warriors....

After about 4 hours (including my 7 y.o. hitting things for 15 min) - lvl 8.5 on Stormrage, not bad. Took skinning so far and I am swimming in cash.... well, for low level that is.

Thanks all for your advice. I'll be back with more I'm sure.
-A
[right][snapback]102631[/snapback][/right]

Are you selling the skins to a vendor or on the AH? If selling to a vendor, you make a lot more by selling on the AH.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Lissa,Feb 22 2006, 01:10 PM Wrote:Are you selling the skins to a vendor or on the AH?  If selling to a vendor, you make a lot more by selling on the AH.
[right][snapback]102682[/snapback][/right]

Well, I have not gotten to an AH yet, so I sold about 1/2 to purchase some stuff and will start saving all now to auction.

The best items are findable, right?

-A
Ashock,Feb 22 2006, 04:22 PM Wrote:Well, I have not gotten to an AH yet, so I sold about 1/2 to purchase some stuff and will start saving all now to auction.

The best items are findable, right?
-A
[right][snapback]102696[/snapback][/right]

For the most part, craftable items are filling a gap. At 60, there's some crafted items that are just really, really nice, and hard to replace. But levelling up, you're going to be replacing something you crafted somewhat soon. .
Tal,Feb 21 2006, 08:01 AM Wrote:If you let me know your character's name I'll send along some potions and a tabard. ;)
[right][snapback]102535[/snapback][/right]

Thanks, Tal.

-A
Ashock,Feb 23 2006, 10:03 AM Wrote:Thanks, Tal.
-A
[right][snapback]102734[/snapback][/right]

You are most welcome. Expect more potions once I take a look at Shalandrax's available stock. Us warriors have to stick together. ;)
Tal,Feb 23 2006, 07:39 PM Wrote:You are most welcome. Expect more potions once I take a look at Shalandrax's available stock. Us warriors have to stick together. ;)
[right][snapback]102787[/snapback][/right]

Magnets would be useful for that. :)
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
New questions.

What exactly is "greeding" an item and how is it done? I played with someone yesterday and we hit a green item. I saw it and let him see it too. He took it (he was actually ok, so I do not mind), and said I could "greed" it, so I get the general idea as to what it is, but how is it done and how does it work?

Also, is it me or is raising the mining skill really slow and tedious? I'm almost lvl 18 and my skinning is in the mid-100s, but mining is like 20. Granted I only started using the mining thingie on my map 2 days ago, but still seems way too slow. Any good places for this? Also, I need a Forge to turn metals into bars? Where are the forges? Major towns?
How do I swap weapons from melee to ranged? Is it simply dragging the ranged icon to the toolbar? What about different melee setups like duals and 2-handers.

Lastly are Deadmines tough for my level? Also, I saw something that allowed me to get to a que to get to the Deadmines. What exactly is that?

There are pairs of Elves walking/standing around in Stormwind that ask me to go somewhere for some weird quest. What is that quest and is it easily abandoned?

That's a long list. I started with just 1 question, heh.

tia

-A
Ashock,Feb 28 2006, 02:22 PM Wrote:New questions.

What exactly is "greeding" an item and how is it done? I played with someone yesterday and we hit a green item. I saw it and let him see it too. He took it (he was actually ok, so I do not mind), and said I could "greed" it, so I get the general idea as to what it is, but how is it done and how does it work?

Greeding is about taking an object that has no use for the individuals to vendor or AH off later on. No benefit to either parties, so not a 'need' item for you to advance.

Also, as far as mining goes, smelting will help you skill up, as well as the actual process of mining. You can find forges in most of the teen areas, and you can definitely find them in the starting cities. Just look for the blacksmith trainers, for instance, and a forge will be nearby. Or engineering, too.
Quote:Also, is it me or is raising the mining skill really slow and tedious? I'm almost lvl 18 and my skinning is in the mid-100s, but mining is like 20. Granted I only started using the mining thingie on my map 2 days ago, but still seems way too slow. Any good places for this? Also, I need a Forge to turn metals into bars? Where are the forges? Major towns?
How do I swap weapons from melee to ranged? Is it simply dragging the ranged icon to the toolbar? What about different melee setups like duals and 2-handers.

Lastly are Deadmines tough for my level? Also, I saw something that allowed me to get to a que to get to the Deadmines. What exactly is that?

There are pairs of Elves walking/standing around in Stormwind that ask me to go somewhere for some weird quest. What is that quest and is it easily abandoned?

That's a long list. I started with just 1 question, heh.

Yes, mining is quite tedious to level up.

You can equip the range weapons in the range weapon slot on your Character screen. When you hit P and bring up your skill book, there will be a Shoot Gun/Bow/Crossbow or a Throw (for throwing knives and the like) in the first tab. Drag that onto a toolbar to use it.

Deadmines, in my opinion, is better experienced at level 20 or so, especially if you're tanking. Remember to use Sunder Armor and whip out a shield to tank :D The queue is something put in awhile ago that will automaically group you with other people that are also in the queue. It's pretty much useless. Just spam LFG DM in Westfall and you'll find a group.

I have no idea about the Elves.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Ashock,Feb 28 2006, 03:22 PM Wrote:New questions.

What exactly is "greeding" an item and how is it done? I

Greeding is an automated loot system for parties that, in a perfect world, distributes good loot to whoever needs it most. When a green or better item drops (by default- the party leader can adjust loot options), a loot window will pop up with 3 buttons- pass, greed, and need. Pass is pretty obvious- click that if you don't want the item and you won't roll on it. Greed means you don't really need it, but could use it to sell. Need means that you need the item. Need takes priority over greed. After everyone in the party has clicked whichever icon they want, the game rolls "dice" to determine the winner. The item is automatically awarded to the highest roller.

Sometimes you'll come across a chest where your party members will say "Greed for chest" or "roll for chest". When that happens, there's no window that pops up- just type '/roll' in the chat line and you'll generate a number between 1 and 100. Whoever rolls highest gets the chest.... usually. ;)

You'll find varying degrees of adherence to item rolling etiquette as you progress through the levels. It's best to stick with guildmates if possible to ensure fair loot distribution, if you care about that sort of thing.

Ashock,Feb 28 2006, 03:22 PM Wrote:Also, is it me or is raising the mining skill really slow and tedious? I'm almost lvl 18 and my skinning is in the mid-100s, but mining is like 20. Granted I only started using the mining thingie on my map 2 days ago, but still seems way too slow. Any good places for this? Also, I need a Forge to turn metals into bars? Where are the forges? Major towns?

Mining is probably the slowest of all gathering skills to level up. At low levels (and with certain ore, at higher levels) you gain mining skill from smelting the ore you find. Forges are found in most cities & settlements. Stand next to one, click your Smelting skill, and smelt away!

Ashock,Feb 28 2006, 03:22 PM Wrote:How do I swap weapons from melee to ranged? Is it simply dragging the ranged icon to the toolbar? What about different melee setups like duals and 2-handers.

In your skill book ('P' key by default), there should be a skill called 'Shoot Bow' or 'Shoot Gun' or something similar. Drag that to your skill bar and you'll automatically switch to whatever ranged weapon you have equipped. I can't remember if warriors come with those skills innately though- you may need to train them (ask a guard in Stormwind or Ironforge for directions to a weapon trainer). If you want to manually equip your weapon, hit the 'Z' key and it'll scroll through your weapon, ranged, and unarmed stances.

To switch weapons on the fly, you'll need a 3rd party addon like WeaponQuickSwap. It's somewhat advanced but it's VERY handy. Enter battle with your 2h sword, then click a button to swap to 1h + shield when you want to use Shield Bash on a caster! Pretty handy.

Ashock,Feb 28 2006, 03:22 PM Wrote:Lastly are Deadmines tough for my level? Also, I saw something that allowed me to get to a que to get to the Deadmines. What exactly is that?

Deadmines are a level 18-22 instance. Starting mobs are a bit lower, but as a warrior it's best to be at least 19-20 before attempting them in my opinion, unless you have higher level party members along with you. The Meeting Stone you saw puts you in a queue for the Deadmines. I haven't really used them much but it's basically a group-finding mechanism.

Ashock,Feb 28 2006, 03:22 PM Wrote:There are pairs of Elves walking/standing around in Stormwind that ask me to go somewhere for some weird quest. What is that quest and is it easily abandoned?

You can abandon quests by clicking on the quest in your quest log, then choosing the 'Abandon' option at the bottom. You can pick it up again at a later date if you want. Sounds like you may have gotten one of the Warsong Gulch quests, which are PvP.
RTM,Feb 28 2006, 12:57 PM Wrote:Greeding is an automated loot system for parties that, in a perfect world, distributes good loot to whoever needs it most. When a green or better item drops (by default- the party leader can adjust loot options), a loot window will pop up with 3 buttons- pass, greed, and need. Pass is pretty obvious- click that if you don't want the item and you won't roll on it. Greed means you don't really need it, but could use it to sell. Need means that you need the item. Need takes priority over greed. After everyone in the party has clicked whichever icon they want, the game rolls "dice" to determine the winner. The item is automatically awarded to the highest roller.

Sometimes you'll come across a chest where your party members will say "Greed for chest" or "roll for chest". When that happens, there's no window that pops up- just type '/roll' in the chat line and you'll generate a number between 1 and 100. Whoever rolls highest gets the chest.... usually. ;)

You'll find varying degrees of adherence to item rolling etiquette as you progress through the levels. It's best to stick with guildmates if possible to ensure fair loot distribution, if you care about that sort of thing.
Mining is probably the slowest of all gathering skills to level up. At low levels (and with certain ore, at higher levels) you gain mining skill from smelting the ore you find. Forges are found in most cities & settlements. Stand next to one, click your Smelting skill, and smelt away!
In your skill book ('P' key by default), there should be a skill called 'Shoot Bow' or 'Shoot Gun' or something similar. Drag that to your skill bar and you'll automatically switch to whatever ranged weapon you have equipped. I can't remember if warriors come with those skills innately though- you may need to train them (ask a guard in Stormwind or Ironforge for directions to a weapon trainer). If you want to manually equip your weapon, hit the 'Z' key and it'll scroll through your weapon, ranged, and unarmed stances.

To switch weapons on the fly, you'll need a 3rd party addon like WeaponQuickSwap. It's somewhat advanced but it's VERY handy. Enter battle with your 2h sword, then click a button to swap to 1h + shield when you want to use Shield Bash on a caster! Pretty handy.
Deadmines are a level 18-22 instance. Starting mobs are a bit lower, but as a warrior it's best to be at least 19-20 before attempting them in my opinion, unless you have higher level party members along with you. The Meeting Stone you saw puts you in a queue for the Deadmines. I haven't really used them much but it's basically a group-finding mechanism.
You can abandon quests by clicking on the quest in your quest log, then choosing the 'Abandon' option at the bottom. You can pick it up again at a later date if you want. Sounds like you may have gotten one of the Warsong Gulch quests, which are PvP.
[right][snapback]103193[/snapback][/right]

Thanks a lot, guys.

-A
Some more.

1) How do I get to Loch Modan? I've already pretty much explored Westfall and about 1/3-1/2 of Redridge (and the rest is too high lvl for me at lvl 19). I have not been to Ironforge yet though. So anyway, is there a path I take and from what region, or is there a particular method to getting there?

2) If I die, can I run across a large chunk of a map through mobs too difficult for me and res at the healing angel thingie in a distant cemetery, thereby getting to a region that is too high lvl for me to get to normally? Is this a common sort of exploit? Also, if I log off as a ghost, will I wake up in the same spot as a ghost when I log back in?

3) I just purchased a blue armor at the AH for 1g. It was identical to several other armors that were for auction, with same name and stats, except it also had +100 HPs in green underneath all the other stats that the other identical armors did not have. Is that because the seller used his skill to modify it?

4) Any advise on which areas to play in after Westfall and after I get through Loch Modan (if I ever get there that is)? Approximate order of progression up until lvl 40 or so?

5) Is there any way to unbind an item once it's soulbound? If it is soulbound, does that mean it is only usable by this character and I can't pass it on to another of my characters?

tia

-A

ps. To all who send me pots and bags and whatever else - Thanks a lot! I think I'm ok from here. Great help though, especially the bags :-)
Ashock,Mar 2 2006, 11:26 AM Wrote:Some more.
1) How do I get to Loch Modan? I've already pretty explored Westfall and about 1/3-1/2 of Redridge (and the rest is too high lvl for me at lvl 19). I have not been to Ironforge yet though. So anyway, is there a path I take and from what region, or is there a particular method to getting there?

If you start at Ironforge, you go out the main gate, down the hill and head East on the road. You'll eventually hit Loch Modan. It's a bit of a run, to be sure.

Quote:2) If I die, can I run across a large chunk of a map through mobs too difficult for me and res at the healing angel thingie in a distant cemetery, thereby getting to a region that is too high lvl for me to get to normally? Is this a common sort of exploit? Also, if I log off as a ghoast, will I wake up in the same spot as a ghost when I log back in?

It's not an exploit, in that the high level mobs (when engaged) will send you back to the rez angel pretty quick. The choice for GY's is also a little wierd at times. Sometimes you can change GY's (even on different continents) without a problem, sometimes I don't think you could use them if they were side by side. A 'fun' trick is to die, run to a very far angel, and have them rez you...at the closest GY to your corpse. But yes, some explorers use that tactic to explore places in 'preview' mode.

Yes, if you log off as a ghost, you'll start up as a ghost (and the C selection screen will look rather different) where you logged off.

Quote:3) I just purchased a blue armor at the AH for 1g. It was identical to several other armors that were for auction, with same name and stats, except it also had +100 HPs in green underneath all the other stats that the other identical armors did not have. Is that because the seller used his skill to modify it?

Yes, this means that an enchanter found that, enchanted it to make it more desireable, and put it up on the AH. Quite a common practice, when you are trying to make your product stand out a bit. That's why it's always a good idea to look at all of something offered, as you may pay a bit more, but some of the 'pricier' stuff may come pre-enchanted. As a note to that effect, stuff can only have 1 active enchant. So if you try to put a different enchant on that, it'll overwrite the 'first'.

Quote:4) Any advise on which areas to play in after Westfall and after I get through Loch Modan (if I ever get there that is)? Approximate order of progression up until lvl 40 or so?
tia
-A
[right][snapback]103386[/snapback][/right]

After Westfall, on the Eastern Kingdoms a good place to wander around is Duskwood. Hit that for a while, then finish up in Redridge (if you like). As to the progression to level 40, you may find this link of use to you. ;)
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Thank you.

-A
Ashock,Mar 2 2006, 12:28 PM Wrote:Thank you.
-A
[right][snapback]103395[/snapback][/right]

Also, since this is your first foray, once you get the flightpath in Ironforge, grab one of the Avarice mages, and have them port you to Darnassus so you can see Darkshore and Night Elf country. Ashenvale starts about 19....

--Mav
Mavfin,Mar 2 2006, 11:01 AM Wrote:Also, since this is your first foray, once you get the flightpath in Ironforge, grab one of the Avarice mages, and have them port you to Darnassus so you can see Darkshore and Night Elf country.  Ashenvale starts about 19....
[right][snapback]103397[/snapback][/right]

Are Avarice mages NPCs, or do you mean a player?

-A
Ashock,Mar 2 2006, 01:24 PM Wrote:Are Avarice mages NPCs, or do you mean a player?
-A
[right][snapback]103399[/snapback][/right]

Players. Ask in guild channel :D
--Mav
Mavfin,Mar 2 2006, 12:50 PM Wrote:Players.  Ask in guild channel :D
[right][snapback]103404[/snapback][/right]

Ahh, thanks :)

-A