Lurker Lounge now a hack site
Well, perhaps not a hack site, but the link below appearantly triggered diabloii.net's hack warning to make it be censored.

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...p=1731&linear=0

On the other hand, it seems their forum policy is now to not allow ANY link, whatsoever outside their own site. Amazed? Well, it can all be found in the following thread:

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php...threadid=154875

The interesting posts are on the second and third page by forum admin Worgus and Elly herself. Funny but scary read. I am seriously consider to never post there again. Will see what happens next. Oh well.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
... in everyway the original "hackers" inteded their trade to be: taking apart programs and such to learn as much as they can about its "inner workings". ;)

Another reason for me to never venture into their forum again. :lol:
Well, as far as I've seen, they've done very little to discourage me happily linking to my Wereform guides in the Druid forum in basically every post that I make as well as whenever someone has a weapon speed question. I think the mods have actually personal messaged other people, however, asking them not to provide links to my site.

Ah well, my outlook is that if they decide to ban me from the Druid forum for providing links to my Druid guides, then it's their loss. I'll gladly stop taking the time to help out the people that frequent their forums if that's what they really want. There's no way I'd ever want my Druid guides posted on their site as I'd much prefer to either keep them where they are, or put them on the Lurker Lounge rather than Diabloii.net, given that the basis for them was formed here.

I do agree with you, however, that it's a rather stupid policy, especially considering the way that you appear to have been treated by them when you DID try to correct them.
-TheDragoon
Ok, that's ridicolus. Apparently, the Lurker Lounge is considered a "competitor site" Ahem? Considering that a lot of the info there was actualy compiled by lurkers? o_0

How arrogant and self-centered.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Heh, diabloii.net stopped shooting themselves in the foot and decided to use dynamite instead. Seriously, I have never seen anyone so eager to alienate their own forum posters.
lemekim,Mar 19 2003, 09:29 PM Wrote:Heh, diabloii.net stopped shooting themselves in the foot and decided to use dynamite instead. Seriously, I have never seen anyone so eager to alienate their own forum posters.
I have felt alienated to most of the admins at diabloii.net for quite some time. I had already run into all of the problems that Jarulf had listed in the post he linked to and others to boot. When they started ramping up the deletion of entire threads to kill links to outside sources several months ago was when I decided that I would only do casual posts to some of the threads there. It is not worth the effort to try and even help some of the players if the entire tread will be deleted to stop someone from pointing to the more accurate information that can be found elsewhere. Particularly when such information had been offered to them earlier and refused because "...it is felt that there is not enough interest among the players in this type of information." One such case in particular is now the most frequently requested and refered information that I see on their site and others (dectgap's affix calculator).
I really don't get stuff like this. "Community", anyone? I fail to understand what they hope to gain by such a policy. They are depriving their forum visitors of information that can be found on other D2 sites, so they don't visit sites other than dii??? Makes a huge amount of sense to me. I qualify as a n00b on this topic but surely there cannot be such a level of "competition" between the various D2 fansites?

I have never been to their forums before checking out the link in Jarulf's post, looks like I'll never go there in the future. I kinda like their site though, hard to imagine that they're all a bunch of chauvinist (-ic?) l33tists.

Does the LL have some kind of history with dii?

a sad
Nuur :(
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
NuurAbSaal,Mar 20 2003, 10:27 AM Wrote:I really don't get stuff like this. "Community", anyone? I fail to understand what they hope to gain by such a policy. They are depriving their forum visitors of information that can be found on other D2 sites, so they don't visit sites other than dii??? Makes a huge amount of sense to me. I qualify as a n00b on this topic but surely there cannot be such a level of "competition" between the various D2 fansites?

I have never been to their forums before checking out the link in Jarulf's post, looks like I'll never go there in the future. I kinda like their site though, hard to imagine that they're all a bunch of chauvinist (-ic?) l33tists.

a sad
Nuur  :(
History? Ohhhh yes. Lots of it.
lemekim,Mar 20 2003, 03:55 PM Wrote:History? Ohhhh yes. Lots of it.
Main Entry: 2elab·o·rate
Pronunciation: i-'la-b&-"rAt
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -rat·ed; -rat·ing
Date: 1611
transitive senses
1 : to produce by labor
2 : to build up (as complex organic compounds) from simple ingredients
3 : to work out in detail : DEVELOP
intransitive senses
1 : to become elaborate
2 : to expand something in detail <would you care to elaborate on that statement>
- elab·o·ra·tion /-"la-b&-'rA-sh&n/ noun
- elab·o·ra·tive /-'la-b&-"rA-tiv/ adjective
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Is this about competition or arrogance?

Could it be that links are banned simply to reduce the hack/cheat/trojan linking?

That would still be a lame policy, but with less "malicious" intent.
I got out of elly's message that they banned all links so that they dont have to look through all of them to only ban the ones that link to hacker sites...
Strange. That's like wiping out humanity to kill Charles Manson.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
I agree with Nitefox on both of his recent posts.
1. If you know more about this, please share it with n00bs like me. :)

Quote:Strange. That's like wiping out humanity to kill Charles Manson.
Yep

Nuur

P.S.:If the Mods don't think that this stuff should be brought up (possibly again), just say so, I would definetly understand.
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
I stopped visiting dii.net a while back, one because I don't play the game anymore, and two, because I think they are all idiots. This just reaffirms my conclusion that they are all idiots.

Why ban all outside information? Maybe I should go trolling there and post a bunch of unrealted links about absolutely nothing. (JUST KIDDING).
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
I was waiting for Nitefox to tell you about the history of this "strife", because he is a much better storyteller. Since now he is here, he will tell you all about it!

Question that was asked:

Answer was:
History? Ohhhh yes. Lots of it.

The question was answered. There was no request to elaborate in the initial question, and I chose not to for my own reasons. If you wanted to know more, a better way would be to ask for elaboration instead of citing a dicitonary.
When the original LL closed up, I switched to the DiabloII.net forums. At the time, DiabloII.net was very cool, most of the posters were pretty mature, and there are still many parts of the site which are terrific. I was there easily two or three hours a day (from work - shhh!) :)

But it's a truly huge site, and Elly, Gaile, and company seriously have their hands full. Even though most of the forums have moderators, they still like to keep their hands in there and try to be uber-mods as well. In the past few months, there have been a number of pretty ugly incidents there. A few long-time members had some disagreements with the site mods, resulting in some of them getting banned. Others left in disgust. There was an outcry, and some pretty harsh words exchanged, and more people got banned, resulting in more people leaving in disgust. The only "defense" ever presented is that it's their site, paid for with their money, so they can do whatever they want. There are ways to present that simple fact in a tactful way that makes a lot of sense, but lately I think they're all just so stressed out that they hit that "ban" button first and explain things to whoever's interested later, maybe.

Again, it's only recently that things have gotten bad, but when it's bad, it's really bad. And now that the LL is back, who needs em?

Orbert
Liza Bow 83, Polgara Tri-Sorc 82, Jane Jav 81, Kathryne Sassy 79, Bellina Xbow 78
Alfredo AxeBarb 81, Bob Pal 80, Zachary Necro 78, Merrick Werewolf 78

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
lemekim - now I'm confused - your "History? Ohhhh yes. Lots of it" was an answer that begged for a response "do tell? please go on", so Nitefox asked for elaboration in a round-about way, highlighting in his post:

Quote:2 : to expand something in detail <would you care to elaborate on that statement>

Now you say:

Quote:I was waiting for Nitefox to tell you about the history of this "strife", because he is a much better storyteller. Since now he is here, he will tell you all about it!

But he was the one asking for more details! Would you explain this to me, please?

-- CH
FoxBat,Mar 20 2003, 05:15 PM Wrote:Is this about competition or arrogance?

Could it be that links are banned simply to reduce the hack/cheat/trojan linking?

That would still be a lame policy, but with less "malicious" intent.
Well, that is one reason. The other is that they simply does not want linking to other site to promote them and so on. Just read Worgus (correct?) post? A link (even if just to some good information annd to a private page can appearntly make their forum to be a "jump start". This has been said countless times by several of their admins in several threads in the past. Their site is the best and largest so you shoud be honourd to be there and be greatfull that they spend so much tim on it. With all that work put in others should not benefit by having a link (even if in the forum as help to someone asking for information) to their site.

I remember one thread were someone asked for something. A link was posted to some calculator on diabloii.net. The someone else posted a link to some similar calculator on some german page saying that it was a bit better or more popular or something. Upon which Elly replied (and then closed the thread) that one should excercise good manners and not post a new link as there had allready been a link posted (the second one to an outside site). One can go on and go on with such examples almost for ever.

Note that two of the links that was censored was to the Lurker Lounge and to Tommis page explaining faster run/walk. Hardly hack or cheat sites.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
CelticHound,Mar 20 2003, 08:34 PM Wrote:lemekim - now I'm confused - your "History? Ohhhh yes. Lots of it" was an answer that begged for a response "do tell?&nbsp; please go on", so Nitefox asked for elaboration in a round-about way, highlighting in his post:

Now you say:

But he was the one asking for more details!&nbsp; Would you explain this to me, please?

-- CH
Perhaps I misunderstood his request, since it was posted in a vague way. Somehow I understood that he wanted to elaborate on it further? That's why I said that he should tell the story, but now I see that it was a request to elaborate. :blink: I'm so confused! Finals week really takes it out of me.

Well, I will try to find some old posts and see if I can give some examples later, but just the stories of Jarulf and his adventures in the land of diabloii.net should give you some idea of what transpired there.
I trolled their PvP forums a little while back, after I had looked at the 'legit' PvP rules and at such considerations as whether or not map hack was a legit tool in a duel. Valoren Gunsling, who I always thought was a decent enough chap and a proponent of legit duelling, had posted the rules.

I pointed out a huge number of holes in the rules, and got plenty of flames, as expected. (Hi Grumpy, I very much appreciated your friendly input to that thread!) But funnily enough, no one answered up when I reminded one of the folks there that a legit set of rules that included maphack . . . was completely broken.

I then went and had some fun with a nice angry young legit and modder called Apocalypse Demon, who I really think means well, about twinking, and then got into some other fun in some completely insipid map hack debates. It was mainly because the Lounge was down and the opportunity presented itself and plus I was in the mood to be a pain in the arse. I sent Elly an email thanking her and her fellow mods for their hard work, and asked her that my account be deleted.

Gaile and the Gang do pretty good work, in general, and have a good site. Their problem is that bnet is full of folks who know their URL and is also peopled with idiots, and the two sets of people all too often overlap.

Dii.net is what it is, The Lounge is what it is, and I see goodness in both.

I just like the lower idiot count here at the Lounge sooooooooooo much better. :) Gaile and Elly and Flux don't want to attract idiots, but their popularity simply draws them like a flame draws moths.

Sort of like The Lounge back in Dii's heyday . . . and during the LoD Beta.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete