Lurker Lounge now a hack site
Quote:3. Sites that are competitive to any of the fan sites here. (We've spent a long time putting together all the information sections here and so have the guide writers, we are not here to point people elsewhere when so much work has gone into the in-house content)

That piece of policy gets to the heart of how dii.net is a different place than the Lounge, simply because the folks who run it have a different vision of what their place is, and where the other places for DII fit: as competition, not community.

It's a vision thing, and if you ask me, Gaile was trying to be more than a WalMart, she wanted to be Sears: a department for everything, with generally good quality. I admire her efforts, as it is no small task.

The problem is, and has always been, it's hard to find good help these days. I dont refer to the mods, I refer to the other content providers.

The lack of folks volunteering to clean up the myriad of detail in the items and skills info that is incorrect, and well known to be incorrect, or the ignoring of feedback like the list of stuff I sent in about a year ago, is a signal that the aim, the best place on the web for D II, was high yet quite a few of the rounds fell short. It is sort of like arms procurement, seen from a Congressional perspective: all the Senators want to build new stuff, big jobs there, but no one seems to want to fund the spare parts. Well, cleaning up the detail is a spare parts sort of business compared to 'the new guide of Trappers' being the next new tank model.

The other issue is that the people who participate make the site. Sadly, while there are loads of nice people who frequent dii.net, you or someone else commented that it seemed more like bnet forums. Well, it had to, since the aim was to be the biggest and the best.

Maybe the two, biggest and best, are not compatible in this regard. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I dunno... might be cool to have an LL ball cap. :)
Dix...

"Facta Non Grata"

[Image: dixen.gif]
Yeah....a "Thinking Cap"
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci