Lurker Lounge now a hack site
No, it was really in the necro forum, because I view that forum now and then and i saw it. now it's gone.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Mar 24 2003, 09:29 AM Wrote:No, it was really in the necro forum, because I view that forum now and then and i saw it. now it's gone.
I was refering to the thread I linked to above.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
LOL, this is so much fun, I might be wrong(not the first time :P good way of learning) the threads at dii.net actually change according to whats written in this particular thread.
So dont forget to give a big hug to the dii.net people visiting here.
But I personnaly find the dii.net always on the move about whats happening so i was always go there Their attitude does not affect me (me thinks) as what I usually post is small help, pointers etc no guides etc.(edit still ask questions too :P )
But although this might seem incredible to them I find their site very complete, but from personal observation their attitute will end up making their job uphill and will almost inevitably take away from their quality.
Being a pity, as I have gained from their site and enjoyed it.
Many of my mercs even share their nicks :D
Well I hope they do what they believe is in their best interest and not react emotionaly.
41 dwarf priest stormrage Perchard
low lvl undead warlock terenas Slyshadow
>LOL, this is so much fun, I might be wrong(not the first
>time :P good way of learning) the threads at dii.net
>actually change according to whats written in this
>particular thread.

I don't think thier threads or post has changed due to this one at all. But hey, that is my opinion. Seems strange that that other thread dissapeared completely though. Oh well :)

Still, the offer is that Elly now remove any Guide upon request of the guide writer.

>But although this might seem incredible to them I find
>their site very complete,

Yah, but it is having more and more errors all the time. It starts looking like AS soon :)

I gave up on the item creation pages since they seem tp either not get updated any more or alternatively they don't want to update or correct them. Perhaps they don't believe in the reported errors I really don't know. There are MANY of them on their item creation pages though and in addition, very confusing use of terminology and abbreviation. It is their call though. WIll be interesting what they make of it when the next patch is out.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Bolty,Mar 22 2003, 06:21 PM Wrote:Well again, if you tend to think of websites as competing, you would wind up feeling that way.  You would consider links to other sites as a "drain" on your readership.  B)  Thus, anyone linking to such sites is part of a conspiracy to bring your site down.

Ouch.

-Bolty
Heh, yah, noted this in the "rules" in regard to linking as example of sites not to link to:

3. Sites that are competitive to any of the fan sites here

Yah, they definately see it as competition, gee, sad :(
Strange stuff you people post about dii.net banning policies. I just entered there recently, and mainly posted off site links to my site (I didn't know about the policy). Didn't get me banned yet, but the links were removed. And those that other people posted to my site, too. Hope they don't get banned. <_<

The statistics forum will be quite dead without Jarulf and other knowledgeable members posting there. Dii.net's strict policy of limiting information may be actually very good for the LL and the AB. May be people come to look for it in these places.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
You know what the funniest thing is?

The LL started off with Bolty posting news/discoveries and links to the battle.net Diablo forums. All the site had were assorted links and a bit of info he was gathering from those discussions (I seem to recall, God it's been a long time).

We can see how linking other sites is so bad. Go figure.
The thing that always surprises me is that people talk of links being removed and of them being asked not to post links, yet I generally just link people to my Wereform guides if they have a Wereform question and yet they don't remove those links. Perhaps I should go make sure they didn't copy/paste my guide into their strategy section. :lol:
-TheDragoon
I can understand you guys if you decide not to post there anymore (just saw your post there, Jarulf) - I am certainly not happy with that though. I don't like their policy either, still, the statistics forum has always been a tremendous source of information for me and I am pretty sure for others as well.

From the beginning, when I started to post there, the forum on diabloii.net had some kind of "cold" atmosphere, which I had not known and still don't know from any other d2 forum - I thought that was because of its huge "community" (or shall I better call it huge amount of members?) but from week to week it became clearer to me, that it was the, let me call it "strange" policy of the site owners and the forum moderators. I never visited any other subforum than the statistics forum though - so I could not and still cannot evaluate the whole site. This thread solidated my suspicions though, no question.

Personally, I visit several english-speaking forums to learn more and discuss about technical stuff. Many german diablo2 players have benefitted from the discoveries and explanations which some you guys have made throughout the years since the game has been released and I try to transmit even more and as much as possible to them. Well, what am I trying to say? It's not my intention to convince you to forget about all the stuff that happened and still happens and continue like before.

I just wanted to express that there are a lot of people out there, who benefit so much from your work, much more than you might think, and who would probably suffer a lot from a boycot. Yes, there are other forums, and yes, I don't like diabloii.net very much either. But maybe there is still a slight chance that a poor website policy does not necessarily lead to a quit for good.

Still and again, I can understand your step.

cu
A good thing about dii.net is that there are enough people asking questions. I.e. there are many new players, something that the LL would need, IMHO.
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
What I found interesting about it is that they're only starting to ban links and such now.

They could easily have started the bans and stoppages of links much earlier. A lot of people had used links to more concrete and established information to prove and explained certain points about information that dii.net didn't used... all these had somewhat lead to an increase in knowledge in the general population of posters there. Now that much of the diabloii knowledge is already available at the site, the bans on links start... That seemed to me very much like biting the hand that fed you, or chopping down a bridge after you crossed it.

While dii.net has a very good coverage of information, there's also quite a bit of errors there as well but a lot of posters there simply just take the information as correct and posts replies as such... saying that dii.net says this and this etc. Some of those misleading errors can easily be refuted, but there are a lot of others which is almost impossible to refute without giving concrete evidence by linking to another site which gives an clear (and often lengthy) explanation of why that is wrong. With links no longer allowed, such mistakes will only get bigger and bigger since the misled will mislead the people who don't know.

It seems also odd that some people directly gets banned for linking while others don't. I'd thrown a lot of links all over the place before (and intentionally after) the bannings occured and nothing has happened (not even removing my links). Perhaps its just the mod of the forums that matters (wrt banning) and the only forum I did ever visit had a good one.

I doubt if I'll be heading back there any more though. Most of the people that used to post correct info there are no longer around since the bannings started and trying to explain/argue certain things to a lot of the posters now is like banging your head against the brick wall (especially when linking is not allowed to provide stronger evidences of certain points).

Just rambling...
Well, I'll still be posting in the Druid forum, so no worries there for all of you speed-freaks out there looking for info on Druid attack speeds. B)
-TheDragoon
A successful duel in Diablo II requires trust. So, even with 'moderators' and observers, since Blizzard did not provide a 'referee' tool, some one felt they had to develop one.

The problem with the PvP game is the combination of bugs and lack of trust, not to mention raw cheating. Which is why I said what I did: in a public game, it is "I show up, you show up, and one wins." Rules in a knife fight? There aren't any!

You can't enforce rules without a ref, and Blizz did not provide ref tools, so while I disagree with third party programs, I understand why avid duelitsts want one.

One more point on why the Arena being put aside was a shame in re the PvP crowd.

As I had been gone for a while, I applaud you legits packing up and leaving the PvP forum to stew in its own juices. I thought it was a cesspool, personally, all the nice folks aside.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Speaking of that Arena stuff....(and there's stuff like it for the Guildhall concept too in there) - But I have yet to hear of a modmaker (even the ones with private servers for the mods) implementing either......guess it would be too much trouble to fill in the gaps in the files to make them functional....
Chaos < Logic > Order
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.
- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"
Logic_X,Mar 25 2003, 01:28 PM Wrote:......guess it would be too much trouble to fill in the gaps in the files to make them functional....
There are not gaps to fill in. There are only a few graphics files and no code to even start the work with.
Joy. First, Diablo 1 Bnet goes to hell. Now, Dii.net.

What next?
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Dii.net went to hell a long time ago, and it has nothing to do with the policies of the mods/owners and everything to do with the clientele: too many idiots in one room tends to create too high of a noise level.

And OBTW, Elly provided a link to the Lounge a couple of days ago, in that same thread, and it works.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Some of the Dii.net forums used to be more tolerable then others.

They have gotten worse as time went by.

I could still tolerate them.

With this new, and rather interesting policy, I'd say Dii.net officially went to hell.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Walkiry,Mar 24 2003, 11:03 AM Wrote:The LL started off with Bolty posting news/discoveries and links to the battle.net Diablo forums. All the site had were assorted links and a bit of info he was gathering from those discussions (I seem to recall, God it's been a long time).
Woo! You really know your LL history!

Yep, until D2 came along, this site was really a site about another site, and had almost none of its own content...it still has very little actual content of its own, come to think of it. :rolleyes: The forum is by far this site's biggest strength, and that's due to its posters! It's the forum posters that make a site great.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
The Druid forums is still pretty decent. We tend to discourage the idiots from posting more than just a couple times, so the regulars tend to be pretty cool. I'm always surprised how many new Druid players seem to find their way in there, though. I mean, this game has been out forever! :)
-TheDragoon