Lurker Lounge now a hack site
Occhidiangela,Mar 26 2003, 10:18 PM Wrote:Dii.net went to hell a long time ago, and it has nothing to do with the policies of the mods/owners and everything to do with the clientele:  too many idiots in one room tends to create too high of a noise level.

And OBTW, Elly provided a link to the Lounge a couple of days ago, in that same thread, and it works.
Yah, but the link that got deleted was not to the front page but to some post here in the forums.

Besides, it is funny how the mod even put up a sticky thread telling EVERY link will be remove (off site ones), yet there seem to be no deletion of any such links not cought automatically. Oh well. As always the double standard but if you dare mention it, they get all worked up and think it is a conspiracy and get all on the defence.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Bolty,Mar 27 2003, 01:42 AM Wrote:The forum is by far this site's biggest strength, and that's due to its posters!  It's the forum posters that make a site great.
Ahh, at least some sites have understood how it works. A big cheer for Bolty :D
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
I regularly look over the D2.net Single Player forum, and also reply often at the Amazon Basin. The D2.Net SP forum is the least tainted by juvenile behavior in my opinion. Unfortunately, most of the D2.Net articles are pointless and most of the guides they have on the site are not very good either. I have ~300-400 posts at both D2.Net and Amazon Basin. I only registered here to answer a technical question, so I'll likely only get dozens of posts or replies since most of the character question topics are usually covered here.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.
I also find interesting that they seem to have gotten so much noise from idiots that when a stalwart member of the community, such as yourself or Tommi speaks up, they respond almost as if there was no difference between you or 'the great unwashed."

That is too bad, and really an injustice to you and others who have done a lot for all of us.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 27 2003, 03:28 PM Wrote:I also find interesting that they seem to have gotten so much noise from idiots that when a stalwart member of the community, such as yourself or Tommi speaks up, they respond almost as if there was no difference between you or 'the great unwashed."

Sounds very democratic in some sense though. Sort of a philosophical statement that a 1337 pindle-botting kiddie is as gawdly as Jarulf. :blink:

(BTW, you want rare, gawdly ITAMz? When FoS took on Hell Baal last Sunday, not only was I wearing my Biggin's Bonnet, but I was also using a Cathan's Seal that I had gambled a couple days earlier. How's that for rare?)

DaveO,Mar 27 2003, 02:06 PM Wrote:The D2.Net SP forum is the least tainted by juvenile behavior in my opinion. Unfortunately, most of the D2.Net articles are pointless and most of the guides they have on the site are not very good either. I have ~300-400 posts at both D2.Net and Amazon Basin. I only registered here to answer a technical question, so I'll likely only get dozens of posts or replies since most of the character question topics are usually covered here.

Could you explain that last sentence? I don't understand what you meant, there.

"Least tainted" is an interesting description. It's also interesting that you say most of the guides there aren't very good. I'm thinking in terms of "you know the tree by it's fruit".

I think the guides either hosted by the LL or at least written under the "trial by fire" of the LL forums are typically in the range of very good to outstanding. That's why a number of guides that end up on other sites get posted here for additional review. (CorwinBrute's update to his bowazon being a recent example.)

I have to admit that there are certain biases that affect how a guide will be received here. For example, the Lounge is explicitly prejudiced against cheating. There's another bias that I have a hard time describing, but is shown in this thread. One problem there is that it wasn't so much a guide to take a certain character through the game from the beginning but a setup once you've been PAed to A5/Hell.

Bolty,Mar 22 2003, 05:45 AM Wrote:Your thinking of the forum as a "harsh, Darwinian one" does seem to apply to most online communities.

You might be surprised. On a Wolfhound group I used to read - that's why my screen name is CelticHound - Irish Wolfhounds & Scottish Deerhounds - truth would easily take a back seat to unthinking opinion. I'll spare you any stories, for now, though.

-- CH
(if I'm prejudiced against bigots, what does that make me?)

(edit: fix nested [I] tag...)
I basically meant that my contributions here are likely to be very minor. I've done mostly SP builds(especially for the Normal completed set items), but I don't know how this site would treat them. There is the unfortunate cliche that people doing mostly D2 SP are rampant cheaters.
DaveO,Mar 28 2003, 12:13 PM Wrote:There is the unfortunate cliche that people doing mostly D2 SP are rampant cheaters.
What cliche? I've never heard of this.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Is it just me, or is there still a huge misunderstanding between "Single Player" and "Open Realm" in these situations? :huh:

Because, certainly to myself and all my fellow Open-ers.. (Is that a word? It is now.).. there is a HUGE difference.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Hail Celtic Hound,

That aspect you cannot descibe would be sort of an anti-munchkinism (sp?).
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Hail WarBlade,

I've had many, many Realm players tell me that all Single Player/Open gamers are cheaters - all the while they likely have Whites and dupes 1.08 Uniques coming out the wazoo! I love the double standards, as well as the fact that most Single Player gamers likely have never even HEARD of the various cheats available, and I find Open to be cleaner than the Realms - but that is just my experience.
Most of the SP "cheater" comments come from D2.Net, but as you have read I don't pay much heed to a bunch of adolescent kiddies in order to enjoy D2 as I see fit. The Amazon Basin was certainly more accepting of my SP ways, though I've not finished many Hell characters thus far. D2.Net tends to measure character builds on their ability to finish Hell or do the Cow Level.

The big reason I like SP so much is that in my minor opinion, it's the most challenging way to play the game. Since I'm a full area clearing player, that means I'll have to deal with dangerous boss mods that I'd be willing to bet that 75-90% of B-Netters skip(but then again, you could say that a large % of B-Netters do only Cow/Pindle/Bloody Foothills runs). I certainly don't see the Lurker Lounge players as powergamers or rushers. I'm only pointing out that the game offers more than online realms.

BTW, I'm sorry I've "hijacked" this thread with opinions that are not on-topic in regard to the original post.
Why do I have this mental image of marching munchkins, singing "We represent the Lollipop Guild"... followed by bouts of staccato gunfire?

You're killin' me, elf.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
DaveO,Mar 28 2003, 03:44 PM Wrote:Most of the SP "cheater" comments come from D2.Net, but as you have read I don't pay much heed to a bunch of adolescent kiddies in order to enjoy D2 as I see fit.
Ah.

Quote:D2.Net tends to measure character builds on their ability to finish Hell or do the Cow Level.

I thought it was more like "D2.Net tends to measure equipment setups on their ability to finish Hell or do the Cow Level", but no need to plit hairs really. :lol:

Quote:The big reason I like SP so much is that in my minor opinion, it's the most challenging way to play the game.  Since I'm a full area clearing player, that means I'll have to deal with dangerous boss mods that I'd be willing to bet that 75-90% of B-Netters skip(but then again, you could say that a large % of B-Netters do only Cow/Pindle/Bloody Foothills runs). I certainly don't see the Lurker Lounge players as powergamers or rushers. I'm only pointing out that the game offers more than online realms.

Indeed. It's funny how people who care to actually play the game are the ones to be labled "the cheaters" although in this instance I believe the barb may be more directed towards Closed Realm versus Open characters perhaps? I'm only saying that because technically Open characters are easier to tamper with, but then the reality is that people like you and I find Open to be more 'closed' than Closed and subsequently cheat-free. I can say from a very brief experience that Open Realms are not worth the connection time (The 3 Socket Sigon's Guard I saw in 1.03 was one of my first clues).

Quote:BTW, I'm sorry I've "hijacked" this thread with opinions that are not on-topic in regard to the original post.

Not at all. Lurkers love opportunities to get condescending towards 1337 d00dz. ;)
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
OMG! Elly posting a link to this site? Bolty, tell them to turn away! Please!

Dii.net'ers, and I posted a little tonight myself there (first time, I was just bored), tend to be the biggest cheaters in the game. I use their MP site only, and I can nail them down. I'm not gonna go into it, but I would tell the Admins here that my vote is that they not know about this site, otherwise we may become corrupted with moronic posts (ex: see mine), flame wars, and mods and admins that will be so entrenched with crap they don't need..... (shakes). Read the roster here - ELITE PLAYERS Read Dii.net's roster - newbs, morons, hackers, ithies, etc that are only looking for info about things they think are new hacks. Hmm.

I'd remember that Dii.net is run mostly by women, and no offense to Griselda, you gals tend to like gossip, conflict, and the "who's cheating on who" stories. Not bashing, I'm just saying.
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil
Hey, Hey, Hey. I'm one of those posters on dii.net too. In fact I just posted the one after your necro propoganda. Although spreading it doesn't hurt. ;)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Yeah, but let's remember...

Members on Lurker Lounge posting here = good
Members of Dii.net posting here = Meh
Members of Lurker Lounge posting on Dii.net = Slumming
Conner

God Bless our American Troops!
A better way to pay for the War than Oil
Hail Conner,

You may wish to lay off the female stareotypes, else you may find out that these women *do* know how to use the weapons they are carrying. You may find that there are quite a few female posters here (though, as one would expect on a gaming forum, it is pretty male dominated), and you are pretty *unlikely* to see them doing that. Agreed, you get women like that in the world; you also get plenty of other things. Anywho, unless you want a pike shoved somewhere unpleasant, I'd suggest you don't offend the women here ;)
One of the concerns that Elly raised was that of a "grinding axe." I tend to believe that the very idea of a grinding axe is contrary to the cooperative spirit that we try to encourage here. But, if this thread loses its focus and becomes a more general "bash dii.net" thread (we're already dancing at the edge of that fine line, IMO), then won't it begin to run contrary to the very reason that we're here? Discussing the issues is one thing. General put downs are something else entirely.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Conner Macleod,Mar 28 2003, 08:15 AM Wrote:Yeah, but let's remember...

Members on Lurker Lounge posting here = good
Members of Dii.net posting here = Meh
Members of Lurker Lounge posting on Dii.net = Slumming
Actually ANYONE posting ANYWERE is good as long as the content is good and bad as soon as the content is bad.

Besides, I don't think of anyone being a "member" of one specific site only. I have registered myself (and post with varying frequencey) on quite a lot of forums but still don't claim to belonging to anyone specifically more than any other. The forum that gets the most posts by my tend to vary from day to day and over longer times. Up and down.

People should post were they feel they can help out others, were they feel they get meaningful input and were they find interesting threads (well that is mostly for reading). I personally don't care WERE that happens to be. Just ignore or don't bother with the other posts/threads and you are fine. Of course, when the trouble is finding good threads is to much work, one tend to leave, but still, it is usually not that hard to sort through threads.
Elric of Grans,Mar 28 2003, 02:43 AM Wrote:I've had many, many Realm players tell me that all Single Player/Open gamers are cheaters - all the while they likely have Whites and dupes 1.08 Uniques coming out the wazoo! I love the double standards, as well as the fact that most Single Player gamers likely have never even HEARD of the various cheats available, and I find Open to be cleaner than the Realms - but that is just my experience.
Actual many Real SP have not even heard off the various items most realm builds is based on! But there might be some there have seen a few of them! :unsure:

I think that the concept of not playing to hoard is so difficult to grasp for many realm players that some simply asume Single Player too be cheating! And the logic is reasonable enough ! If you want to play as on the realms, try the "uberbuilds", hoard all the items, gain exp super fast and so on; then you must be cheating! Because how else would you accomplish that in a Singleplayer game!
The point is that you won't acompish it.

Single player is the natural place to play for "beating the game"! No trades, no waypoint giving , no helping with immunes and nasty bosses, noexp leeching, no mules to give items to! All achivements are you own, and so are all problems!

The gab between SP and realm play is really big now ( it where less before gambling was nerfed!).

Its so big that most guides are useless to real singleplayer! You would never get close to the items the builds is based on before game is beaten! And because off that optimized play often calls for different skill points use! And certainly problems/goals in the game require other solutions than the guides about to tell.

The Gab is so big that when raising questions in forum treads stating its a single player game question you are still likely to get at least 80% answers there is only an answer for a multiplayer character. (This happends even here in LL and in AB).

This is why Diabloii.net have 1 usefull forum for me lurking in! Beside that I don't have the best experience with their forums and guides! I simply use it for news (rumours or facts) . With their current politics I would happily use another good news site. Any suggestions ? (actual I just needs an email with"1.10 is here NOW")

with regards
Jondifool