The Double-Dip Mentality
gekko,Jan 26 2006, 11:19 PM Wrote:For those using threaded view: I'm replying here merely as an alternative to starting a new thread.  My reply is not aimed directly at anyone.  I just found this article which made me a little bug-eyed.

Link.  Only important points:  7 people plead guilty to copying Star Wars Episode III before its release.  They now "face a maximum penalty of a $100,000 (£56,000) fine and one year in jail when sentenced.  $100,000?  Is that just slightly ridiculous to anyone else?  Why are the penalties for illegal copy so much worse than the penalties for phsically stealing a movie?  Those numbers are just plain obscene.  There is no reason for such ridiculous punishments.

"Revenge of the Sith went on to take $848.5m (£474.6m) at the global box office." 

gekko
[right][snapback]100297[/snapback][/right]
I'll reserve comment until they are actually sentenced on April 12th. The guy who uploaded it to the internet and the original thief will probably get the book thrown at them, but the friends might get lesser sentences. See also DOJ IP cases.

Edit: I was out at a local eatery last night where the stereotypical ugly American loud mouth at the table next to us was bragging to his friends about his extensive pirated DVD collection. The whole place could not help but hear his bellowing, but such is the world we live in today. We ended up ordering small, eating quickly and retiring to a place better for the digestion (and hearing loss prevention).
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Artega,Jan 26 2006, 08:42 PM Wrote:In my imagination, people actually use condoms so that they don't have two kids with a third on the way before they're 20.
[right][snapback]100287[/snapback][/right]
"Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished." Or were you referring to unmarried couples? :whistling:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
gekko,Jan 27 2006, 05:19 PM Wrote:They now "face a maximum penalty of a $100,000 (£56,000) fine and one year in jail when sentenced.  $100,000?  Is that just slightly ridiculous to anyone else?
gekko
[right][snapback]100297[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, I'm surprised it is so light. I would've thought that in the U.S., which is such a staunch advocate of IP and copyright, that it would've been much higher.

However, I'm a big fan of the amount not being specified. We have insider trading laws over here, that specify penalties of three times the profit from such actions. (Pity they don't get applied, but the penalty itself seems a nice way to do it :P )
Occhidiangela,Jan 27 2006, 10:30 AM Wrote:"Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished."  Or were you referring to unmarried couples?  :whistling:

Occhi
[right][snapback]100320[/snapback][/right]

Both. You could say I'm pessimistic, but I highly doubt a 20-year-old, on average, would be capable of raising their children properly <_<
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Jan 29 2006, 12:07 AM Wrote:Both.  You could say I'm pessimistic, but I highly doubt a 20-year-old, on average, would be capable of raising their children properly <_<
[right][snapback]100413[/snapback][/right]
That depends on the 20 year old in question. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) Some can handle it, and do, some can't.

As to 14 year olds . . . different story.

Occhi
EDIT: Boo Hiss Spelling and Beer. :angry:
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Well, let's put it this way: I know I sure as hell wouldn't be able to raise a kid right at my age, and people say I'm about five years more mature than the rest of my peers :)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.