January News/Discussion
Quote:I think it is way too easy to sit back and complain that Blizzard are a bunch of incompetent idiots with zero knowledge as to what is really going on. Like most WoW forum threads, we seem to be debating heatedly based on pure conjecture that has no grounding in what may really have happened.

I agree. This thread is starting to look like it belongs on the WoW forums. If you want to do that, go there, not here, please.

I can remember worse patches, and worse instances of the Law of Unintended Consequences biting Blizzard in the ass. It happens. You can pay your $15 next month, or you can unsub. Those are really the only choices you have.

I'm absolutely sure that Blizzard would have done almost anything to avoid having to take the servers down on a Friday morning to fix arenas, but, it didn't work out that way, so here we are. Someone in the PTR/patch process screwed something up, and is probably in for a good ass-chewing when it's all fixed, but, that doesn't change the fact that Blizzard is stuck with the fallout from the screwup at this point, and is taking what they feel is the best choice to get things back in service and running right again. Whining about something like this after the train is already off the tracks really doesn't make much sense. Life, and WoW, will go on.
--Mav
Well, on a different tangent as to what was changed in the patch, campfires no longer need Simple Wood to make, just Flint & Tinder, or a Gnomish Army Knife if you have one.

It's a bizarre change, but one I've welcomed. I remember back in my newbie days when I'd carry a stack of wood, and a flint, to make fires for cooking not even aware that any fire in the gameworld would work. I don't think I've ever seriously carried the equipment for a while.

Hell, I bought a Gnomish Army Knife just because of this, since fires are starting to get pretty scarce late in Northrend, and with my Skinning Knife why not consolidate what would have been three bag slots into one?

Heck, one bag slot for all your tradeskill equipment, and another for clams. This is progress, people!
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote: since fires are starting to get pretty scarce late in Northrend

late in northrend? I couldn't find one in Warsong Hold that works for cooking. That's FOB for horde.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:I'm absolutely sure that Blizzard would have done almost anything to avoid having to take the servers down on a Friday morning to fix arenas, but, it didn't work out that way, so here we are.

Sneaking in substantial changes, rather then putting them through the PTR does not qualify as such.
Quote:late in northrend? I couldn't find one in Warsong Hold that works for cooking. That's FOB for horde.

There's one on top of the entryway into the inn area. But, yeah, Warsong Hold is more or less inexplicably devoid of usable fires.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:Sneaking in substantial changes, rather then putting them through the PTR does not qualify as such.

This is absolutely complete conjecture on your part. They don't put every change through the PTR, especially arena changes. because they won't get tested there, anyway. Take this crap to the WoW forums if you want.
--Mav
Psst, paladins...

Rejoice! Avenging Wrath is back to not kicking off a global cooldown again, thanks to 3.0.8 =) It is still affected by globals, but doesn't start one itself (the old functionality).

Time to re-add AW to your DPS trinket macros =)
Jormuttar is Soo Fat...
Re: the arena changes

I played my matches last night, and it seemed as if in all cases, rating gains were significantly smaller than rating losses. My partner and I went 5-5 and dropped by about 40 points. Anyone else see this?
A plague of exploding high-fives.
Quote:Re: the arena changes

I played my matches last night, and it seemed as if in all cases, rating gains were significantly smaller than rating losses. My partner and I went 5-5 and dropped by about 40 points. Anyone else see this?

My friend was fighting gladiator teams while at 1900... Went 16-7, and gained 7 rating.
Quote:My friend was fighting gladiator teams while at 1900... Went 16-7, and gained 7 rating.
I love this pic...

[Image: motivator9878131.jpg]

Personally I was screwing around in 2s this weekend with a new partner, and my personal rating went up by about 20 points as my team rating fell 80 points. It's really, really messed up right now.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:I love this pic...

Fantastic.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:I love this pic...
Reminds me of when I was ranked #1 for M:tG in the state and it simply wasn't worth my time to play unless the 'level' (higher levels awarded higher points per match) of the tournament was within the top 3 categories, as otherwise a single loss would cost me more than 5-8 wins would gain me.

Cheers,
~FragB)
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote:Reminds me of when I was ranked #1 for M:tG in the state and it simply wasn't worth my time to play unless the 'level' (higher levels awarded higher points per match) of the tournament was within the top 3 categories, as otherwise a single loss would cost me more than 5-8 wins would gain me.

Cheers,
~FragB)

That I can understand, but did you ever lose ranking for winning? :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:That I can understand, but did you ever lose ranking for winning? :)
Lose? No, did receive 0 pts every once in a great while though. Just said it reminded me of, not that it was identical.

~FragB)
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Towards the end of Doomtown (Deadlands CCG), Kaine and I ran into a situation where we went to a tournament, placed 1,2 (kaine, me as it always seemed to be the case) and his rating dropped 10 points, while mine dropped 50 points OVERALL.

The problem? We had both attained #1 state rankings for our factions of choice, and the competition at the tournament was..... apparently less than stellar. It came to a point where we as a team would draw in the finals as that was the only way to not butcher our rankings.

My personal opinion as to the problem with you losing points from the win is probably the hidden rankings. I understand why they are implemented, but I don't think that they are working as intended.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Jan 27 News

~~~
Ghostcrawler starts us off with some reasoning behind the three big Arcane mage changes that were undocumented in the quick patch today.

Nethaere has the entire list of patch notes for the update done today. It's all of 4 listed changes, so that really hardly qualifies as 'patch notes'.

Massively has a pie chart showing the length of time to go from 70 to 80, now that the "dust has settled" with WotLK, and most folks who didn't choose the DK to reroll have hit 80. Not surpisingly, it took most folks 15-30 days to make it to 80.

If you are looking for some laughs, hit up the official forums. In particular, check out this post that starts with your average "such and such a class rolled on MY weapon!" whining, and quickly deteriorates when Ghostcrawler pops in and mentions that Frostmourne is going to be a Hunter Weapon...

We'll wrap this up with a humorous look at a point that is rather dear to a lot of people. The placement of Wintergrasp, and how bloody inconvienient it makes travel to that side of the continent, especially the Eye of Eternity. A lot of folks I know just opt to pay the flightmaster to get them there instead of fussing around with trying to fly around themselves. What's your take on the placement of Wintergrasp? And would it have been so bad/hard for Blizzard to put it somewhere still accessible, but not in the middle of everything else? Maybe swap it and Sholazar, for instance...
~Not all who wander are lost...~
I think where they REALLY screwed up with WG is the flight paths do stupid long routes AROUND it instead of simply flying over it. Scenic is an understatement if you're heading to sholazar to do some dailys. I hope you wanted to see all of icecrown on your way there. What I really wish they would do besides fixing the stupidity of the flight path is allow you to fly over it, but only at high altitude. Go below and get knocked off. This would keep the swooping in and surprise killing people I think they are trying to avoid. Or rather if you tried you would get one kill then have to ride on your land mount to the edge of the zone, remount, and re-kill. A big waste of time.
Quote:What I really wish they would do besides fixing the stupidity of the flight path is allow you to fly over it, but only at high altitude. Go below and get knocked off.
Kind of along the high altitude train of thought. I spoil all my characters with epic flight and thus am so use to it that it quite often still feels slow. One of the reasons people always mention as to why they can't increase the speed is that mobs can't load in and so faster just wouldn't work. So thus I figured a high altitude flight training could be perfect for this. Pay an extra amount of gold and gain the ability to fly faster when above a certain height. Useful when all you really want to do is get from point A to point B and don't really care about the stuff inbetween. Doing such could also work with flying over Wintergrasp like you mention since they could make High Altitude Flight not dump you.
Quote:Kind of along the high altitude train of thought. I spoil all my characters with epic flight and thus am so use to it that it quite often still feels slow. One of the reasons people always mention as to why they can't increase the speed is that mobs can't load in and so faster just wouldn't work. So thus I figured a high altitude flight training could be perfect for this. Pay an extra amount of gold and gain the ability to fly faster when above a certain height. Useful when all you really want to do is get from point A to point B and don't really care about the stuff inbetween. Doing such could also work with flying over Wintergrasp like you mention since they could make High Altitude Flight not dump you.

Shhhh! You're giving away the major gold dump in the next expansion!;)
I like how close WG is to Dalaran and Sholazar (it's very easy to knock out my Frenzyheart dailies then head to WG to bust some skulls), but I frankly wish there was an innkeeper there to set my hearth to, and I do wish that the flightpath could be used as a connector to other flightpaths, rather than having to spend 10 minutes flying around the entire zone.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.