January News/Discussion
Quote:I do feel bad about taking the roll and winning it (By a wide margin. His 23 roll to my 97), but I still keep trying to convince myself that I deserved the damn drop more than he did.
I had something similar recently. The way I see it, if I have as much right to roll on it as you and you want a sure roll on it: ASK if i want it! I'd have been honest. Not mention it halfway through a run and yell obscenities at me after win.

In your case though, you did your responsibilities on boss fights and he didn't. You deserved it more, period!B)
Jan 13 News

~~~
First up, non-Warcraft news. But I do have a pretty slick StarCraft II Gameplay video/"Battle Report" for you to check out. It's a long match, coming in just under 22 minutes. But there is some nice play there.

Can't wait to know when your realm is up? Have to know as soon as possible? WoW Realm Status has got you covered. You tell it what realm, and give them your email address, and you will be notified when your realm is up. You can also set it to notify you what your realm population status is.

Right up the Lurker's alley, comes Lithiumflowr. He's levelling (quite quickly) from 0 to 80 without spending a single talent point.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Maybe I'm just cynical but leveling a hunter without talent points doesn't sound hard to me.:PIf you're looking for class that would be an achievement to level without talents, a warrior or priest would probably be the way to go.
Quote:Maybe I'm just cynical but leveling a hunter without talent points doesn't sound hard to me.:PIf you're looking for class that would be an achievement to level without talents, a warrior or priest would probably be the way to go.

Now if he took the route of that dwarf who refused to use ranged weapons, and didn't spend any talent points, well... hats off to him.:)
Quote:Now if he took the route of that dwarf who refused to use ranged weapons, and didn't spend any talent points, well... hats off to him.:)

Paladin without talents. You'd literally die of boredom trying to kill mobs with just auto-attack, untalented judgements that don't return mana or anything, lack of crusader strike or hammer of the righteous, etc.
Jormuttar is Soo Fat...
Quote:Paladin without talents. You'd literally die of boredom trying to kill mobs with just auto-attack, untalented judgements that don't return mana or anything, lack of crusader strike or hammer of the righteous, etc.
I think it would be a toss up between paladin and priest. Trying to kill things with just sw:p, and smite (with no pushback talent) would suck pretty bad.

Hunter doesn't even seem like a challenge. I can't think of a single talent that would really make any significant difference. I think wowinsider was really fishing for a story. Now naked, no talents, and not a hunter would be impressive.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
Quote:Trying to kill things with just sw:p, and smite (with no pushback talent) would suck pretty bad.

There has never been a pushback talent for Smite (there is a glyph now though, it would be easier now).

What you would really miss would be the .5 second cast reduction time on Smite/Holy Fire and the pushback talent for healing yourself (and you will be doing plenty of that!).
Quote:There has never been a pushback talent for Smite (there is a glyph now though, it would be easier now).

What you would really miss would be the .5 second cast reduction time on Smite/Holy Fire and the pushback talent for healing yourself (and you will be doing plenty of that!).
No, what you would really miss is Spirit Tap. But I think overall it wouldn't be a whole lot harder than leveling normal Holy (which is what I'm doing with my own priest currently), just so much longer.
Quote:No, what you would really miss is Spirit Tap. But I think overall it wouldn't be a whole lot harder than leveling normal Holy (which is what I'm doing with my own priest currently), just so much longer.

Good point. I only had spirit tap from 28-44 and 70-80 so I forgot about it. That said since I've leveled without it (including 44-70) I know it's doable.
Quote:I think the Judgement damage is too high (I ate a 6k crit last night), but it's otherwise okay. Maybe make it a little less bursty, because their damage between bursts is pretty lousy.

I nearly broke 7k judging SoB in crafted/heroic ret gear with the slow-ass Naxx-10 spear. Absolutely ideal conditions, though, and, obviously, PVE.

If only I had been gearing ret instead of prot, I dread the things I could do.

The singular reason I would insist that Paladin damage is a-okay is simply the absurd amount of damage every class can dish out, at the moment. It's a symptom of the larger issue.

How to fix it? Got me. More damage reduction from resilience?

Tangentially related: what the hell happened to the Alliance numerical advantage?
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Quote:I am playing atm waiting to see what Blizzard will do to correct the situation. In the meantime, I'm not going to take arenas very seriously as long as the current dynamic exists, where the classes with burst dps + outs are dominating (Rogues, Paladins, DKs, and Mages).

-Bolty

Here is an example of what one priest ran up against in arena:
http://i43.tinypic.com/fop0gh.jpg

Keep in mind 2 things:
1) that first death was in the previous arena match... they got the same team again
2) the priest has over 900 resilience

If you look closely, counting the shield absorption, that's over 24k damage in 2 seconds.

Yes, they both use a significant cooldown to do that kind of damage.
Yes, 24k in 2 seconds is not typical of every class combination.
However, it is indicative of what types of things people have to deal with in arena. If you don't have some form of immunity, you're absolute TOAST to certain teams.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:However, it is indicative of what types of things people have to deal with in arena. If you don't have some form of immunity, you're absolute TOAST to certain teams.
I think this is where blizzard showed some very poor foresight into pvp with this expansion. Nobody should have that kind of burst damage, especially not a ranged class, AND ESPECIALLY with abilities that completely ignore armor.:wacko:
Wait, I'm confused -- you'd prefer this kind of burst damage on melee classes? :huh:

Mages are glass cannons -- even deep Arcane and Ice Block doesn't change that. If any class should have that kind of ranged burst damage, it should be mages. They can't stand toe-to-toe with other melee classes.

Mages might ignore armor, but armor is a rather poor method of damage reduction in PvP anyway, as limited as it is.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:but armor is a rather poor method of damage reduction in PvP anyway, as limited as it is.

Don't tell priests or warlocks that.

+armor on S2 - S4 gear is about the only thing that allowed them to compete. I'm convinced that a large part of the Priest Tank (I mean Priest PvP) issues are related to Blizzard's policy of no +armor on gear anymore.

If you're going to create mechanics that force priests (and warlocks) to tank, then you need to give them tools to do so. Warlocks have some limited tools through Metamorphosis, Priests have a few seconds of pain suppression. But there are no tools for long term tanking capability for the kind of SUSTAINED damage present in current arenas (just ignoring the burst for a moment... just a moment).

Arcane has significantly more survival tools in the form of kiting tools. A burst mage will also have spammable slow. A frost mage has shattered barrier. Mages may be glassy, but they are slippery glass.

If a mage is a glass cannon, at least he has a cannon. A warlock is in far worse shape.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Quote:Tangentially related: what the hell happened to the Alliance numerical advantage?
Blood elves.

~FragB)
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote:Blood elves.

~FragB)

Foiled by barbie and girly-men
Too many frickin' elves everywhere...
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Reminds me of a discussion on the EU boards as to which class is the manliest.

Perhaps the best answer was Shaman which, despite having <strike>skirts</strike> kilts as part of the official uniform, is the only class in the game that elves (either strawberry Blood or blueberry Night flavours) cannot roll.

The thread rumbled on after that amazing insight for a bit, but it was essentially </discussion>:P
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:However, it is indicative of what types of things people have to deal with in arena. If you don't have some form of immunity, you're absolute TOAST to certain teams.

Behold all the Pally + DK teams!

/vomit
Onyxia:
Kichebo - 85 NE Druid

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Quote:Wait, I'm confused -- you'd prefer this kind of burst damage on melee classes? :huh:
Only someone who has never been kited by a skilled player would be confused. Ignoring a rogue blowing all his immune cooldowns versus mage/lock, a ranged class should beat a melee class every time. The skill of the player can be enough to compensate in many cases, but I've run into a couple perfect hunters and mages with a flawless pvp game that literally could not be touched.

Where I'm confused is you think someone should be able to do as much or MORE burst damage 40 yards out instead of the small area known as melee range?