1.10 Screenie thread
Raz,May 19 2003, 02:55 PM Wrote:Wow... Fortunately they can only be formed on paladin shields and those rune words are rare; otherwise, pallys would lose yet another skill to these items (don't remember if Mercs can get defiance to level 16). This item is powerful. :blink:

EDIT: Forgot there are some shields besides pally-specific shields that can have 4 sockets... So this item can be used by any character that has the strength to equip a Hyperion, a Ward or a Blade Barrier. :(
GFrazier said in this thread that Exile is, indeed, a paladin only runeword.
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
I might be out of my mind.. but the last time I played a smite paladin partied with an adaptive curse using necro, I could swear that life tap worked with smite. That was CD2 times, and I don't trust my memory - can anyone confirm? If life tap does allow smite to leach life, this exile runeword in a 4 socket elite pally shield is really a smite paladin's dream item. In no time flat there will be a guide saying it is the 'mandatory' equipment for the new 1.10 cookie cutter smiter build - even though those runes may very well continue to be extremely rare / expensive to trade for.
He said, as far as he knew it is NOT paladin-only, six or seven posts after he had stated that it's paladin-only.

So:

???

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
From page five in that thread , and with no later comments on the issue!

Quote:83. Re: May 19 - New Rune Words in Diablo II 1.10 | 5/19/2003 10:39:43 PM GMTDT          

Update: this Rune Word is for Paladin shields only.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GFraizer (Nebu)

SO at the moment its a pally only shield! Next speculation is...?
Life tap is, indeed, the only way to leech while smiting. :)
I was looking at Wolf Howl a little closer... It seems that as an Elite Unique Class specific helm it should be harder to find than Arreat's Face, yet it seems Arreat's Face is a better helm even without the Druid junk. So you have +3 WarCries... Which skills might you be able to use while in wolf form. Probably not your combat skills, but certainly passive and maybe warcries. But using say war cry or battle orders, and then shifting into Werewolf form may sustain the war cry effect into wolf form (i'm thinking similiar to how cyclone armor does now). Then add in the additional speed and life boost from your wereform skills. ??? argh, my mind boggles with the possiblilites... weapon choices???

Also, by the example of this item, I was struck with the thought that maybe it may be possible that + to skills might now apply across classes for more than just these unique items. So, if one were to find a +3 to teleport helm (not charges), it might be that "teleport" may be a useable skill by any class who wears the helm. That would certainly open up character builds to a whole new dimension, and blur some of the lines between characters. Some + skillsas it is now in v1.09 skills (including summoning) were unspawnable on items. But, now maybe in v1.10 more skills, however weak, may be used by any class that wields the item. So, will we see a barbarian with a +3 Amplify Damage, or Fanaticism Aura? How about a sorceress with Conviction?

Anyway, these little leaks of information are driving me more nuts that waiting a year for the patch.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

...now works with bows in 1.10.
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/images/ot...ther/Melody.jpg

Greetings, Fragbait

EDIT: Nothing really new though, I'm afraid. Just the latest news from Mount Arreat.
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
I didn't understand that update...isn't Melody already for bows?
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
its properly now works with crossbows also! (quess GF gonna edit that post!)
jondifool,May 22 2003, 06:41 AM Wrote:its properly now works with crossbows also! (quess GF gonna edit that post!)
Umm...why are people saying that Melody does not work in crossbows? In the files the Melody rune word is listed as working in miss class weapons and the crossbows are correctly set up to be a subclass of the miss class (as are the bows). The rune word word fine in crossbows made with the 1.09 download patch.
I think they were revealing that they had fixed it so that the rune word will work for real this time. It was bugged before. Arrows would disappear before hitting the target and +skill bugs.

Old Maggot Lair Link #1
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

My guess is that they looked at the list of 1.10 runewords and picked this one out, not realising it had been in 1.09

:lol:
Ockam's razor? ;)
OK, first things first. The new barb helm will only be good if it can be used with other skills, but that has yet to be determined, and knowing blizzard, they will let us find out ourselves.

The freezing target on the shield will have a similar effect as putting cham in a weapon, it has a chance to freeze. I wish they would tell us what the chance is, it probably is something like [1 target per sec]/speed.

Why can't the rune word go into a 4 soc elite shield? Does it say on the stats that the shield is paladin only, or does it say that it adds 2 to offensive auras? I can't be sure as I can't access it as i'm at collage, but i thought you could add it to any 4 soc shield.

And last, but not least, the helm that says "only available in 1.10 or later" has been like that since they were last planning to bring out the patch. This was probably set back due to the use of hacks, and there ideas on synergies etc.
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
Quote:Originally posted by kier
The new barb helm will only be good if it can be used with other skills...
I assume you're referring to other Barbarian skills, such as Frenzy, Berserk, Whirlwind? Then I disagree. The new Barb helm will be terrible if it can be used with other skills. There are only so many degrees of an item being acceptably overpowered, and allowing a Barbarian to gain +70% Life, +48% SIAS, +125% AR, +24% Life Leech, and 20% Faster Run/Walk (based off of current 1.09 skill descriptions), with absolutely no drawbacks, would completely transcend this barrier.

EDIT: Small mistake in my bonus descriptions.
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
I agree on combat skills. It would be interesting to have the wolf do war cries, and perhaps with an alternate wolf like voice. I'm thinking "Howl" !!! :D

*plots kandrathe's death* :P
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
The Phoenix Strike screenshot is in fact really interesting...

- 3 monsters not only 2 or 1 (you have to look really close :P )

- 1 Bone Spear Animation (I think it is)

- Some strange cracks on the floor when viewed with higher gamma

EDIT: see more of strange cracks on the floor in this thread.

- Obviously some other monster types in the worldstone keep

- Nightmare players 64? Some Rainbow Facet Jewels could be involved.

Just a guess.

Greetings, Fragbait

PS: *push*

- Bruce Lee

Fragbait,Jun 2 2003, 07:00 PM Wrote:- Some strange cracks on the floor when viewed with higher gamma
EH? :huh:

And yeah, cute addition of the Bone Spear (if that's what it is). It's a pity there's nothing emerging to the right of the Assassin so we can see it properly, although the blue trail and the impact flare are both present. :D
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War