chesse
Occhidiangela,Oct 29 2003, 04:20 PM Wrote:For LavaCat: My apologies to you if this thread hijack has caused you any distress.
Thanks Occhi and others! Apologies accepted, but certainly not necessary. Anyone who posts here is all too used to having their threads hijacked. I must say that after a good almost three hours' sleep and a relaxing day at work, it was quite gratifying to see the forum screen with 37 replies on the topic of my rant.

Shavenlunatic, if you're still reading I hope you'll stay. Sorry things started off on the wrong foot. I did not see the edited post, so I can't directly comment. It's my observation though that people on the lounge do not hold grudges. Or if they do they keep them well hidden. As in any community, there are standards here and folks are expected to observe them.

And Occhi, if I may, I think I would have saved my wit for the second offense and been a bit more gentle to the first. You came down on Shavenlunatic pretty hard to start with. A mere thwack of the trout might have been more appropriate.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Oct 29 2003, 10:03 PM Wrote:You [Occhi] came down on Shavenlunatic pretty hard to start with.  A mere thwack of the trout might have been more appropriate.
Maybe I've been listening to Nico for too long -- I thought Occhi was gentle as a little girl on the guy. On that note, sorry we didn't wake you up for the meal, Nico. Maybe we need a "alert the Hound" button for this type of thread.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
NiteFox,Oct 29 2003, 06:31 AM Wrote:What's "chesse?" ;)

Oh, and another thing.  How does one tote stuff back to town with a full inventory?

Congrats on the Annhilus, even though you feel as if you didn't deserve it.
That's what the cube is for. All my heroes are seriously charm addicted!

And, oh, I deserved it. Just not so easily and so soon.

It almost goes without saying that my theory of the world event was completely wrong. The only thing that made sense to me was to have diablo spawn and annihilius drop when the character turns 99. I spent most of the summer getting my poor sorceress up to two experience points short of 99, and prepared for the big event. Planning how best to get open wounds, prevent monster heal, and high AR and IAS on her mercenary.

I planned to have my paladin clear out most of pain, all but a couple monsters. Then let the sorceress finish them and spawn the clone on an otherwise empty level. I'm sure she knows the maps of pain far better by this time than diablo does himself.

First however I was having my paladin do a foothill run just to get a feel for 1.10. He never expected to run into diablo, even though had seen the warning message "diablo walks the world." It was quite a shock.
Crystalion,Oct 29 2003, 04:45 PM Wrote:I think you answered your own question... I'd hazard we've looking at a vengence/conviction Paly. :)
Nope. Never used vengence in his life. My life, neither -- for that matter.
LavCat,Oct 30 2003, 04:06 AM Wrote:Nope.  Never used vengence in his life.  My life, neither -- for that matter.
Well, that would seem to be a confirmation of his phys resist only being 50%, if you just beat him to death. I didn't see you mention if you were using any form of PMHpoison/OW? I've seen quite a few posters complaining his regen was a big problem for them.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Crystalion,Oct 30 2003, 12:17 AM Wrote:Well, that would seem to be a confirmation of his phys resist only being 50%, if you just beat him to death. I didn't see you mention if you were using any form of PMHpoison/OW?
You're right, I haven't mentioned yet.
Kartoffelsalat,Oct 29 2003, 04:09 PM Wrote:Wow... congratulations.

Did you do anything to trigger Diablo Clone, or did he just show up?
Thanks, Kartoffelsalat! I did nothing. Diablo just showed up. Actually he spawned at the spot where one would expect to find Doc Ferren, who in real life seems to be a noted triathlete.

I think all we know for sure is that messages appear on the screen saying so many Stones of Jordan sold to vendor. Then at some point the earth shakes briefly and "Diablo walks the world."

Based on what happened and on what I have read, in any given game the next player who then comes upon a super unique meets the diablo clone instead. My hero's encounter was completely unplanned and unexpected. He was unprepared beyond usual precautions for wandering act five in winter.
Orbert,Oct 29 2003, 02:37 PM Wrote:Back on topic...

Which reminds me: What's his build? I'm curious, that's all. Eventually, we'll all figure out what weaknesses the DC has, but we might as well start gathering info on what seems to be extremely effective against him. Leech? Slow Target? Prevent Heal?
Thank you Orbert! His build is here:

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...=184&hl=paladin

If I knew how to link to the individual post I would. Sorry.

The Sigon's have been swapped out for LoH and (at the time he met diablo) Water Walk. Boots are now Gore Rider, and Werebear is using Water Walk.

A few minutes before diablo found him, he had switched his amulet to Rising Sun. This was indeed fortunate, as it almost certainly saved his life. Switching to Rising Sun had nothing to do with diablo, and was only done because there were lots of annoying archers pelting us with fire arrows. He had carried Rising Sun for months and months in 1.09 and never used it.

His rogue, Aliza, it turns out was a better archer than the foes. She could easily take them out one by one all by herself, but we were impatient to go in and wack them.

The whole time of our brief conversation with the lord of terror we were standing in diablo's Armageddon, and the seventy something fire absorb from Rising Sun certainly did help. For whatever reason, I don't think diablo was connecting very often, as I never saw the meteor trigger from Rising Sun. Actually I thought at first that diablo's Armageddon *was* my meteor!

For offense I had the four frame Zeal (I think, as I am never quite sure about such things). Zeal is his only attack. He started with Fanaticism (what else would one expect from a fanatic zealot?) but switched to Conviction when diablo's life bar was at about two thirds.

I think my hero was hitting fairly well as his life ball was staying pretty full. This is a low mana build and he has no mana steal. From charms he does a respectable amount of lightning and poison damage. At the time he had no PMH or open wounds. With exception of the amulet, he was still set up for 1.09.

Most of his damage is fire damage. You may have read that his backup weapon is Todesfaelle Flamme, which grants a level 10 enchant. As it happens his sister sorceress was in the game and had kindly provided her level 34 enchant. This lasts for sixteen minutes and adds about 2000 average fire damage per hit.

Another thing I did not at first realize is that enchant grants a huge AR bonus in the patch. With Conviction his AR was unfortunately down to about 10,000 but his chance to hit according to the character screen was 74%. Zeal now, I understand, is also non-interruptible.

Too bad he had not yet put his 21 remaining skill points (19 anyway) into Sacrifice for the synergy. Zeal damage and hence life leech would have been much higher. It's a shame to have to waste perfectly good potions.

Another source of damage is the +668% damage to demons property. Again, I'm not clear exactly how this adds in. I think just on the physical. The displayed average damage on the character screen was about 3000.

As to future plans, I think I may add PMH to Aliza. Diablo killed her by the way. She was decked out in her roguish magic find. I do not know how PMH combines with poison in 1.10. From what I have read poison breaks PMH in 1.09. Has this been fixed, I wonder, in the patch?
We each have our own styles, I suppose, and your opinion is worth listening to. :) PS: thanks for the elaboration on the build, and to think I just gave away a Todesfalle a month ago. Doh! What was I thinking?

Quote:And Occhi, if I may, I think I would have saved my wit for the second offense and been a bit more gentle to the first. You came down on Shavenlunatic pretty hard to start with. A mere thwack of the trout might have been more appropriate

You should have seen what I originally wrote, or maybe not. :rolleyes:

The real harshness was in the opening sally, so the tone setter was in the title. The title most likely would be taken by anyone as having been delivered with a certain "tone of voice." As Pren noted, the reaction to that tone could be predicted to create an "ears get red." It is a wake up call, and given the sloppy nature of internet discourse, a wake up call is needed, IMO.

Gekko points out correctly that this is not just any old forum, and those who want to treat it as such need not bother. In truth, the edge in my voice was purposeful. It has always been true that the membership here is what makes the forum, and "we" (those of us who care to) set or accept a standard or norm by our own actions or acceptance of a certain standard. Hence, my use of the term standard with shavenlunatic. The mods can't be everywhere, and it is well established here that membership involvement is acceptable.

Those like kandrathe or Nico, who can and did withstand a mild shot across the bow in early discussions, are generally able to handle a great deal more downstream. Others with thinner skins can as well, but some folks in the "rice paper dermis" crowd are self doomed to feeling put upon with even the mildest of feedback or critique. (Pren's "self fulfilling prophecy" line in re lurking is a gem: is a Lurker necessarily a thin skinned critter?) Having had my arse chewed on more than once in my life, and having had my chops busted now and again, I know what it is like on the receiving end. Whining and pouting is not the smart way to deal with it.

Our shaven acquaintance showed us a little bit about himself with his comebacks, even to the milder rejoinders, and he will either come back or not, as he deems most appropriate for his own happiness and joy.

Works for me.

Note: Any guess as to why I assume the male gender for shaven? I'll bet a +1 defense grand charm on it.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete