OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen?
Quote: I just registered a new char after playing the game "Balderdash" (fun game) named "Spraints". 5 points to anyone who can tell me what it means.

Wow, 7 days and no one has taken the prize. Spraints are droppings of some small mammal or another, but I forget exactly which one. I want to say otter. Am I close enough?
Quote:Otters mark their ranges with their faeces (called 'spraints') which are used as a form of chemical communication. Aside from range ‘ownership’, information passed may include dominance of the individual, readiness for breeding, family relationship, or whether the feeding site has recently been used. Spraints are usually left at conspicuous sites, such as at stream confluence’s, under bridges, or on waterside boulders. An otter may use the same sprainting sites over many years.

From a British web site covering otters.

Spraints sound like the gang graffiti in LA: Spray Painting a place with crap to mark their "turf."

"I spraint" is a nice contraction for "I spray paint."
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Personally I like my necro's name "Nessesary_Evil". It just kind of fits what the D2 necro is. :)

Edit: How could I forget? I also have a paladin named "GharbadTheWeak". :D
Actually, Janbo of The Amazon Basin sent me a PM saying what it is. :) Otter dung.
Waaaay back in the beginning of diablo2 I had a spear barb with the name of Shiska-Barb. Was quite amusing to me at the time.
Hmmm, about all I can offer in the way of cleverness are:

Vandy_Graff (T-storm sorcy)
Phil_deMort (mostly summoning necro)
Hurricane_Hugo (guess what kind of druid?)

I add my vote for "I_CEDeadPeople" as the funniest one I've heard of!

Hawkmoon
Nine out of ten of my char names are from books; not much in the line of true wise@$$ness. However, I do have a 'sin named Zorra.

If you know some Spanish, you know "zorra" means "female fox".

If you know even more Spanish, you know that's not all it means.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
my necro's name "Hasu_slayeR"
sor's name "DQ_MatriaR" :rolleyes:
Quote:SoilentShadow the Potion Finder

SoilentShadow... Is PEOPLE!

Heh, I bet half the posters here didn't get that. ;)

... Which makes me feel all the stranger that I understood the reference. Guess I was lucky enough to grow up watching old cult movies (Running Man, Freejacker, Logan's Run, THEM!, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes...).

EDIT: To make my own contribution:

Nearly all of my D2 character names were 'real' names, which I'm not going to post in case I choose to reinstall the game someday. Can't have my names being taken on B.Net, eh? ;)

In Diablo, I often used names out of book series (the BattleTech and Shadowrun books were great for this). Sally_Tsung (and Lady_Tsung), GhostMaker (/GhostWhoWalksInside), Phelan_Kell, variations of Victor_Davion and the like served me well. But the 'fun' names I used that really lasted for me were:

Lefty(BNM)
Oof(BAR)
BamBam

Yeah, they can't exactly compete with 'I_CEDeadPeople,' but they're mine, dangit!

Quote:Sebek-Ra (a warrior god of fertility)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sebek and Ra were actually two different gods... Sebek was the crocodile-headed god, and Ra was the sun god (or of the world egg, or something... My Egyptian mythology is more than a bit rusty).

Quote: Qhal-kek. Nihlathak. Larzuk. Kah-plah!

LOL, I hadn't noticed those. Two of them are actual Klingon words!

<Geek>
Kah-plah (Qap'la) is "Victory!" or "Good Hunting" or just about any "Good luck!" comment.
Qhal-kek (can't remember the correct spelling right now) is (IIRC) the Klingon greeting. Literal translation is "What do you want?"
</Geek>

EDIT v2: How could I forget the ill-fated "Locke Rule" I tried in D1?

HeadLocke - Sorceror
ArmLocke - Warrior
LegLocke - Rogue

Argh, the pain! Bad names! Must... Forget...
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
If I ever re-install the game, get DSL, and start up a life on BNet again, I'll make a knife-throwing Barb with the name of Aimin_Fordehors and include him into some sort of "The Magnificent Seven" team setup.

I'll leave you to figure how I arrived at that name. ;)
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Mine are all fairly mediocre. I've made attempts with some, however =)

SkellyMeBanana - revive necro
PallyMeBanana - paladin
GrotGoWhee - barb
Muleder - mule
GiantMuppet - shapeshifter druid
AsnForTrouble - assassin
SheBang - bowazon
Grotty - barb
Tally_Ho - paladin
I have a special jewelry-only mule named LordoftheRings (necro). We'd dress him up cool, but there's no way for a little necro to match Sauron.
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
I beg to differ. Full plate mail + skull, sword + diamond, full helm + skull
Obi2Kenobi,Jan 28 2004, 10:51 PM Wrote:I beg to differ. Full plate mail + skull, sword + diamond, full helm + skull
I'll have to try it. I think I have plate mail like that on my "newchar" mule (where I keep little weak stuff great for a new char). He's just a mule; I'm not springing for Shadow or even Chaos Plate.

Did you have a specific sword in mind? Like a Crystal Sword?
I made a Hammerdin yesterday. I can't believe nobody had taken the name yet on USEast.

Cheeseadin !!!!!!!! :lol:
A crystal sword would not work, because it would only turn the hilt blue. A long sword has a very strong palatte shift (compared to a short sword) so I would get one of those. :)
Obi2Kenobi,Jan 30 2004, 02:11 AM Wrote:A crystal sword would not work, because it would only turn the hilt blue. A long sword has a very strong palatte shift (compared to a short sword) so I would get one of those. :)
B) Cool. Will do. Shield?
Does he use a shield? (hence my answer is: I have no idea)

P.S. You should probably make this a new thread in the Armory. :) Maybe even start a whole Lord of the Rings Fan Boys and Girls Variant Team, or just LotRFBaGVT for short. "I knew it was time to simplify our organization when we started creating acronyms for our acronyms."
Obi2Kenobi,Feb 2 2004, 10:52 PM Wrote:Does he use a shield? (hence my answer is: I have no idea)

P.S. You should probably make this a new thread in the Armory. :) Maybe even start a whole Lord of the Rings Fan Boys and Girls Variant Team, or just LotRFBaGVT for short. "I knew it was time to simplify our organization when we started creating acronyms for our acronyms."
A: I don't do a lot of fighting with mules, but yes, he does.

B: This really isn't about strategy or techniques for building a better char, it's more about making my mule look good.

C: On Dii.net, my name is Yavanna, named after my first Matriarch, named after the second greatest Valier. I like the Variant Team idea, but Yavanna was a goddess of growing things, and a Bowzon doesn't quite match that.

D: How about just LotRVT? Ever so much shorter.
Hi Obi,

Sauron doesn't use a shield.
He is just huge and all black, with a gigantic mace and a jagged helmet.
And yes - there was a golden, quite special ring at his finger sometime...
IIRC, his armor is quite craggy, and of a dark, matt black.
What really makes him an impressive figure is his height, for he was at least 3 metres tall, and rich in sheer physical strength.
Not quite a necro, eh? ;)

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.