Is living off the land an option in 1.10?
I'm testing the 1.10 singleplayer waters and thought about how much fun a living off the land character would be. I tried a LoL barbarian in 1.09 and made it to the Ancients before hitting the big hurdles.

I'm eager to try a 1.10 LoL, especially after hearing about the item repair and recharge cube formulae. I also have a copy of PlugY with its .ini modified so only the multipage shared stash works. I got an idea. Since D2X eats items that stay on the ground too long (unlike D1, where the items hang around forever), use the multipage stash to store extra items during a playing session. Then empty out all but the inventory and normal stash when the session's over. Just a minor workaround to avoid giving up semi-useful items.

My next thought is, what sort of character would be right for this? I'm looking for a character that doesn't depend on items or potions to survive. Should I stick with a barbarian like last time or try something else? Any thoughts?
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Shadow Assassin or Necromancer. Or, Elemental Druid.

My Two Farthings.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I see the caffeine's keeping you awake, Angel Eyes. ;)

I hesitate to make a necromancer because I've had to do serious shopping with mine. Again, 1.09. Can a necro really survive without the best gear? Same with assassins. I'm used to bugging the gamblers for better claws. Not sure if I can handle a druid.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
I have just started a Necromancer on USEAST , summoner that is . Now I normally play Europe so I do not know anyone here or have any decent items . He has made it to lvl 65 , with 220 ( I think) stat points still unused and godawful gear until I found a shael which was'nt too long ago and made myself a Rhyme shield , also made Stealth armour , Tal and Eth being the easiest to find , so I would plug for the Summoner Necro and see how it goes . I'm having no problems so far and have made it to NM baal practically singlehanded (not counting summons) . Have fun .

Take care
Take care
Hi Ducky

I have had the pleasure of playing in the Slackers group with CelticHound as our Zookeeper Necromancer. He is very item independent and, further, has self-nerfed more than the rest of us in an attempt to not over-shadow us in killing ability.

I am also in the process of building a pure Summoner Druid who is fairly item independent. He seldom takes hits (just like a Zookeeper Necromancer), so wearing out gear is not an issue either. Sheer laziness in perusing drops and shopping has me still using a wand with plus to energy. Lack of need for energy and dexterity leaves him with a lot of points to devote to vitality, which is boosted by Oak Sage anyway.

A Blade Fury Assassin has lots of points available for Shadow Skills to make her survive without much gear. My Beyond Naked Assassin will be built this way.

Have fun !
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Sep 10 2004, 01:00 PM Wrote:My Beyond Naked Assassin will be built this way.
Would you be so good to list your planned equipment? I haven't seen any pure cursed items in DII yet, and I'm curious as to what they are.

Glimmering (or whatever that prefix with +x light radius and no AR bonus is) items perhaps? They're probably not handled as cursed by the game, but if it's like D1 they would bring more trouble your way. That's the only thing I can remember at the moment that could be used by a Beyond Naked character.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Yogi_Baar,Sep 13 2004, 06:08 PM Wrote:
ShadowHM,Sep 10 2004, 01:00 PM Wrote:My Beyond Naked Assassin will be built this way.
Would you be so good to list your planned equipment? I haven't seen any pure cursed items in DII yet, and I'm curious as to what they are.
Hi Yogi Bear

The Beyond Naked Character style is described here.

The short answer is that Beyond Naked characters play naked (except for weapons) and hostiled to their companions.

The equipment list is short. She will use weapons only. In the long run, Bartucs or Jade Talons might be her best choices, as she *may* be able to overcome AR problems with sufficient points in Claw mastery. Right now, she is using a bow.

As you pointed out, there aren't any really cursed items in this game. The curses will be provided by companions and it has yet to be worked out just how much cursing of that sort is reasonable. Some skills will be too much of a curse to companions to be allowable at all; others could be allocated a single point, just to make life 'interesting' for companions.

I am rather looking forward to experimenting with this style. B)
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.

ShadowHM,Sep 14 2004, 12:37 PM Wrote:Hi Yogi Bear
Yogi Baar. :)

Thanks for the link. I thought Beyond Naked in D2 followed the same rules as in CD, and that's what sparked my curiosity.

Nice twist there, moving the focus point from the items to the companions. Salutations to all of you trying this out. I suspect it takes a lot of skill to juggle killing monsters and appropriately cursing your "fellow" companions successfully. Almost makes one wish that Blizzard hadn't taken out the possibility of pure cursed items, eh?
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Yogi_Baar,Sep 14 2004, 04:50 PM Wrote:Yogi Baar. :)

My apologies for that slip.

And yes - I miss that Beyond Naked Rogue from way back when. She was a wuss and proud of it. There are days when it is fun to slay every monster in sight with ease and there are days when it is more fun to face a challenge, whether you win or lose. No more Tin Rings of the Fool and such like in D2. <_<
When civility survives,
I know nice from right.