OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen?
But OK, I'll guess that you are correct, and we have two different folks and that shaven is most likely not the culprit here.

Hmm, I owe Shadow a charm.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I had a trapper named GyokushinRyu, which is school of ninjitsu that focuses especially on traps.

For a while I was naming chars after characters from Chuck Palahniuk novels. So I had TenderBranson the elementalist, MarlaSinger the martial artist, etc.

My current Hammerdin is named Mjolnirator. :)
Occhidiangela,Oct 30 2003, 05:35 PM Wrote:Hmm, I owe Shadow a charm.
You placed the bet, and I will look for you to pay up. :P

But really, this just goes to show what a PITA the moderator's job can be. Popping online and having to delete that many posts before dashing out the door to do real life chores is the kind of thing they don't have to do often here, thank goodness. Many many thanks to Griselda and the others for being the kind of folks who are willing to do it.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

All my chracters had Preme somewhere in them:

Premezilla-my first barb, too little vit, too many enemies

Premezillion-2nd attempt, became PK fodder

Premeadonna-pronounced pre-madonna, an amazon who uses the ma'avina set

Venom_MissPreme-pronouned venemous preme, an assasin who never reached lvl 30
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
Ya Griselda - makes sense - their posts have had different "flavours" to me (hurt/ticked off vs. foul). I thought Occhi's initial response to SL was perhaps a touch harsh for someone not yet used to the Lounge. It's not like b.net chat or most other D2 forums would have prepared him for the concept of communicating in real adult human language. (But then as the resident softy, bleeding-heart, self-esteem-promoting, do-gooder idealist, I might not be objective about such things. Good Lord! I may have turned into the Anti-Pete! *cues music from "The Omen"* )

Still, that begs the question - why does this outwar seem to be stalking Occhi? I can only recall something like this happening a couple times way back when on the Lounge.

Pretending to be on-topic: KoP (KingOfPain) has a gift for choosing names that make me cock my head sideways and go "huh?" for a moment. But then what else could you expect of someone who has inspired a follower called the PrinceOfOuch (PoO)?

Back when we were playing the Friends of Sysiphus games, there were a variety of bad puns for names. My paladin was EddyFoS. If we could have finished before the expansion came out he would have been King EddyFoS - or as I preferred to think, EddyFoS Rex. Argh! It just reminded me how much I detest the titles for expansion characters. The titles in classic just seemed, well, classier to me.

On my own, the closest I get to clever is my necromancer "SummonAllFears".

-- CH
my lineup:

Bob_One
Bob_Two
Bob_Three
Bob_Eleven
Bob_Twelve

no, seriously.

the only vaguely imaginative names that I have are Squishing and Squishinger, ladder, and non-ladder Werebear druids.

-Bob

p.s.
gris:
yes, BT is a UK ISP
I was goingto start a character named of_[something] but I couldn't decide what. I was think something like justice, evil, or liberty. Only problem with that is that he changes allegience every time he completes a difficulty (slayer of_evil to champion of_evil to patriarch of_evil).

As for my character's names, I've only got three right now:

Farnum (barbarian): misspelling of Farnham from D1
Isenpferd (Paladin): It means iron horse in German (I think, my German is bad)
Zazook (sorc): it just sound so cool!)

OT:
As for www.outwar.com, you just know that someone's a dolt when you open a thread and there's four posts that just say "edited" with "edited by Griselda" at the bottom.
Zaek the Outcast, anyone? *shudder*
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Occhidiangela,Oct 30 2003, 03:36 PM Wrote:Does one pronounce Selby "sell bee" or "sell by" such as in sell by date.
The former is most commonly referred. The latter has been known to crop up due to misspellings from time to time (along with an 'h' being added in here and there).

Selby, without expiration date
Another worthy footnote in the legends of the Legion of the Banned. I remember old Adle Pate... <waxing philosophic -- fade to black >
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Archon_Wing,Oct 30 2003, 09:01 PM Wrote:GJ, you're beginning puberty.
Pardon, but what does "GJ" stand for in this context?

-- CH
Good Job.
"if the bible has taught us anything,and it hasn't, is that boys should stick to boy sports and girls shoud stick to girl sports like hot oil wrestling."-homer simpson
Me-"OH MY GOD,OH MY GOD!!!! 1.10 WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WHAT!!!!!....I know what. Fix my computer."
The two best internet comics in the web, penny-arcade and El Goonish Shive. For you.. Also for you.
I managed to grab "WootLeetSkills" on the Ladder Realm.
I had a wolf druid named Wolfman_Jack
a Bear Druid named Grizzley_Adams
Signatures suck
Alice Cooper... lol. Great songs. Great for a necro... hehe

I sort of like Kleros for my cleric. I think it's latin... can't really remember though.

Another name that I remember I know not why, just a really nice name: BelandyIce_Queen
Wasn't mine, and only saw her once, a long time ago, but stuck in my head.

Also, a quote from one of the people I was partying with: "That holy bolt is ridiculously useful"
Nice to be appreciated....
I think Chockula and SummonAllFears are in the lead, along with my I_CEDeadPeople & SweetNSourHork. :)
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
Mine are probably boring by most counts, but they're easy for people to recall in D2 chat sessions. All of the names exist on battle.net, except for Cyrus, which was already taken. Some names I had a long time ago, lost to inactivity, and got back thanks to the recent account deletions.

Mayra = 1.04 bowazon, named after a friend. (Currently taken after I lost her to inactivity.)
Cyrus = 1.07 barbarian, named after the ancient medo-persian general who conquered Babylon.
Sucrerie = 1.07 unsuccessful sorceress, semi-french name that had something to do with candy.
Biff_Meatsack = 1.07 barbarian, name reflects my general view of barbarians; dim meatshields.
Marasu = 1.09d tri-elemental sorceress, name is made up and meaningless.
Marella = 1.09d HC bowazon, name is from something but I can't remember what. Maybe Baldur's Gate 2...
Maralyn = 1.10 assassin, generic female name I happen to like. (based on Mara, which means bitterness.)
Snow_Raven = 1.10 HC tri-elemental sorceress, originally named because she was cold-only (1.03) and has black hair.
Wistrik = 1.10 necromancer, named after evil necromancer in old 8-bit game "Realms of Impossibility".
Zack_Arume = 1.09d paladin, name source should be obvious.
Druid_Corpse = 1.10 HC werebear druid. Joke name, meant to answer a challenge that werebears 'suck' in HC. I wanted to use Dead_Meat but it was already taken.
Marai = 1.10 tri-elemental sorceress, another name based on Mara (Mara was taken.)

There were many others (mostly singleplayer) but they are lost in the mists of time.

If you want to make a character for the Sir title, consider Cumference, or Mixalot, or Real, or Reptitious, or Mount, or Cular...
I'm biased so I'm going to pipe up about a pair of my kids that I whipped up recently:

MsGuided (amazon)
MsSpell (sorceres)

I've got a ton of other "Ms" names, but those were the two that cracked me up the most.
Bob,Oct 31 2003, 12:34 AM Wrote:p.s.
gris:
yes, BT is a UK ISP
Problem: BT's ISP does not use the bt.net domain name. Depending on your service you're either btopenworld.com or btinternet.com.

bt.net is their mainland European service, so whoever this guy is he ain't in Britain. Thank God.

Heh, Count Chockula.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
I always like seeing an obscure reference to something I appreciate...
saw a "Kilgore_Trout" once (a recurring character in K. Vonnegut's books), or "ChaoticNeutral" (D&D reference), etc... inside jokes are so much better then those boring outside ones. I wonder why it feels good to recognize something like that... Hmm.

Anyway, the name Swarmalicious is what I used during my rabid Starcraft addiction - zergling swarms were my forte - and I always liked the way it melded 'swarm' and 'malicious' ('malicious' is SO intimidating, I know :)). I've tried to create other personas, but Swarm's the only one that stuck.
Since then I've gone to greater lengths than I even dare publicly admit to apply the "licious" suffix to an appropriate prefix (I have studied thesauruses for an HOUR looking for the right word sometimes). Some from memory:

Elementalicious - druid
Fractalicious - warcry barb (I thought the colorful method of Taunt, B.C., and stun looked "fractal-y")
Universalicious - party necro

etc.

:)

edit: Waitaminute... thesauruses? Thesauri maybe. Thesauruseses. Bleh, a dictionary's what I need.
*Swarmalicious - USeast Hardcore
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - W Wonka

The Flying Booyaka and The Legend of Bonesnap
I had a Free-zeALot in early D2X, until it dawned on me that 1» Chams were slightly rarer than expected, 2» Iceblink alone didn't exactly "freeze a lot", and 3» in D2X you didn't need crowd control as long as you had an (insert overpowered unique) and killed everything in two hits.