Gunbound!
Reference image is here. Sorry if some of the highlight boxes are hard to see. :(

I coached Lochnar a bit on the workings of GB earlier, but it's not all that easy to do while in the game itself. So I decided to doctor a screenshot and explain the stuff in a post. Enjoy.

1: This is the chat area, where text is shown (note that chat is also shown in speach balloons over the characters' heads). This area also shows bonus messages (good shot, back shot, etc) in blue, system notifications/warnings in yellow, and notifies any "double kills" in other games with orange text.

2: This is... Well, I don't know what it's really called. I call it the "moon phase" bar. After each player's turn, the icons outside of the box rotate fractionally; after 4 or 5 turns, the next icon enters the box. The icon currently in the box does certain things, depending upon which icon it is. I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me can explain them all, but the only two I know to have a solid effect are the Thor satellite (the blue/red pronged icon) and the black hole. When Thor is active, any weapon detonation will cause the satellite to fire a laser at the point of impact, which can be extremely painful. When the black hole is active, items are "locked" and cannot be used.

3: This is the wind meter. Pretty simple, really - The number in the middle is the wind power, and the directional pointer in the ring is the wind's direction. Depending on which mobile you're using the effects of wind will be more or less evident, although in general a wind strength of 1 or 2 won't bother you much, while a strength over 20 will heavily influence your shots. AFAIK wind only changes at the beginning of turns, and there's usually a wind-wooshing type of sound that plays if it does change.

4: This is your gold meter. It keeps track of how much gold you've earned in this game. You get gold by killing players (100 for normal kills, or "bunges"), or for doing something impressive (the aforementioned good shots and backshots, or firing through a tornado and still hitting, etc). Note that it's entirely possible to have a negative amount here, if you incur penalties (typically by damaging yourself or a teammate).

5: Your item slots. Before starting a game you can choose up to six slots' worth of items in the lobby. You can invoke them during the game for a delay cost (see below) and they'll allow you to pull off stunts (like firing twice in one turn, or teleporting, among other things). Some items take up 2 slots, as can be seen in the image.

6: Pressing this button or F8 skips your turn. I bet you were stumped, eh?

7: Here the mobile's firing arc is shown. Some mobiles have better firing arcs than others, and to attack someone outside of your firing arc you will need to either take advantage of the wind, or utilize the terrain to better position your mobile. Note that some mobile's arcs have lighter areas near their extremes; shots made from these angles will do less damage than those made from the darker center angles.

8: Player information. Here you can see the player's name (and if s/he is in a guild, it will be listed above the name, along with their statistical standing within the guild), their rank image, and their mobile's health bar. Note that the selected mobile in the image has a shield, noted by the blue portion of the health bar. Mobiles that have shields are generally slightly less durable than other mobiles, but their shields regenerate over time. As a side note, the Mage mobile's special shot will completely strip the shields off of any mobiles in its' radius.

9: The turn listing. This area shows the order in which the players' turns are, and their delays to the right. Every action you take during your turn adds some sort of delay to your tally; delay goes up by 10 points for every second you use, and in general shots add from 750 to 1400 delay (depending upon mobile and shot used). Because of the way delay works, someon using a fast mobile/shots may get 2 turns before another player using a slow mobile/shots and/or item(s) occassionally. Delay is explained much better on GunBound HQ than I can do so here.

10: Your shooting angle listing. Along with a small counter under your firing arc (not highlighted, but visible near my mobile on the right) this shows the angle at which your shots will leave your mobile.

11: This indicator shows which shooting mechanism you're using. It defaults to Slice, in which you hold down the spacebar longer for more powerful shots. The other options are Dragshot (where you click-and-drag with the mouse to select your power) and Snipe (which is supposed to fire with the same power your last shot used, but I think is broken). Your firing mode can be changed from the options screen (by pressing ESC or clicking the ESC button in the upper-left corner of the screen).

12: This little doohickey is used to remember your power settings. If you need to remember a particular power setting that's hard to eyeball for whatever reason, you can drag this with the mouse to the proper place on the power meter. Quite a handy gadget IMO.

13: Ah, the power meter. Divided into 4 section for ease of eyeballing those 75% shots, you use this to determine how much "oomph" to give each shell. Also, after you've fired, a golden bar appears at the power-point the shot was fired at. It disappears as soon as you begin charging another shot though, so I often use the doohickey from #12 to remember where the desired power level is.

14: This corner is used for different things, depending on the game type you're playing. In Score, it shows the remaining team lives (communal, first team to 0 loses). In Tag, it shows your alternate mobile and its' health (which can be switched to by pressing F7), and in Jewel it shows the teams' scores.

15: This statistic popup shows the first time each player's turn comes up each game. It can also be called up by left-clicking and holding on a player with the mouse. The rest should be fairly straightforward.

One more thing I couldn't easily label: In the bottom left-hand corner are butons for your mobile's Primary, Secondary, and Special shot. You can select your shot either by clicking a button or pressing Tab. In general, shot 1 is weak but fast (delay 700-800), shot 2 is more powerful but about 100 delay slower, and the SS is extremely powerful at a cost of 1200+ delay. There are exceptions though; I suggest reading the mobile summary sections at Gunbound HQ.

Whew! If I missed anything, feel free to chime in.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
I just added WarLocke, Omega and AKK.

Add me at your whim (TaiDaishar)
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Nice job, WarLocke. That is the info I needed before I started. I didn't seem to find it spelled out like that at either Gunbound or Gunbound-HQ (of course now that I said I didn't find it, somebody is going to come back with "It's right here fool!" :rolleyes: ).

Is anyone still talking about starting a Lurkers guild? I'd be interested. I need to get back there and settle on a couple mobiles that I like. I just need to wait until I have something else I absolutely have to do so that I don't spend all night playing "just one more game". :lol:

Oh yeah - one more bit of info that really threw me at first. You need to click in the game to get back to using your mobile. If you have clicked in the buddy message window or started an in game message, your mobile won't react to your keypresses until you click in the game to put focus back there.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
12: I'm trying to think of a name for the "doohickey" at 5 in the morning. Hmm...How about calling it the "Meter Mate"? :P Yeah, I thought not.

You picked a good time to take a screenshot, since most of the various "global effects" are visible. I'll try to explain them according to the order they show up in your picture.

Lightning - looks kinda like JD's shot 1. It's a ball with zig-zags leading to the core of it. Produces a column of lightning, that "enchants" your projectiles, such that a similar column will ignite(for a brief second) at the spot where the shot landed.

Thor - Warlocke already explained this a little. Basically the same as lightning, but using Thor. Note that for Aduka, shot 2 and SS work exactly as though Thor was active, but only for Aduka itself. Some things Warlocke DIDN'T mention. Thor has levels. As far as I know, they go in roughly this order:

Note that Thor gains "xp" on a one for one basis with the amount of damage it does(ie, only the laser part of the damage, nothing else counts)

Level ---------xp-------------Approximate damage per quadruple laser(Aduka -------------------------------------------------------------------Shot 2, dual/double death)

Level 1 - 0000-0300 xp -- 100
Level 2 - 0300-1000 xp -- 200
Level 3 - 1000-3000 xp -- 300
Level 4 - 3000-5000 xp -- 400
Level 5 - 5000-7000 xp -- 500
Level 6 --7000-10k+xp -- 600+

Note that Thor's "exp counter" is broken for values above 10k(it can only show 4 digits, so if Thor is at level 6, and the value is below 7k, multiply it by 10 to get the amount of damage done in that round by Thor) I'm probably pulling the numbers out my ass, so forgive me if they don't seem right. 600 is about the highest I've ever seen come out of Thor. It may be possible to do more, but you'd need a cooperative bunch of Aduka players to charge up Thor, then use a mobile with a lot of projectiles,(say A. Sate, Bigfoot, or Grub), and dualshot, during Thor's phase. You could get up to 12 lasers(1800 damage) with Bigfoot's shot 2(and dual/double death), assuming you could land them all in the same spot. Would be even scarier if all the players were huddled together in one spot...

Black hole - Blocks item usage, and supposedly regains SS sooner(ie, normally you can use SS after about 5 of your turns, but supposedly, if you shoot really well, you can reduce this somewhat. My guess is that BH only reduces the recharge time by 1)

Wind - Looks like a meteor. It's a blue ball in a red flame. Can change winds in any direction/power. Fear the multiple wind-changes. Some stages(notably Miramo Town), have the winds stacked one after the other, up to 3 in a row.

Sun - Produces a column of light, same as the lightning, this one multiplies the power of the projectile instead. Has funky effects with:

A. Sate: Doesn't matter if the satellite passes through the light column, only those lasers that path through the column get the bonus.

Moon - Looks like a crescent. All mobiles regenerate(I think) Or maybe only Bionic mobiles(Grub, Ice, Trico, Turtle, Boomer[!]) Nothing too spectacular, but it could mean the difference between 2 players during endgame(like if the 2 players had roughly equal life, the bionic mobile might get just enough life to survive the opponent's dual shot 2, and counter with a shot 1+dual 2.

Ice ball - Removed from the game. You can see it in the waiting room. Supposedly it used to increase the size of holes/explosions

Hurricane - Looks like a pale blue circle with bits spiralling out. Produces a column of wind. The Hurricane will exaggerate your shots. If your shots are headed down, it pulls them downwards sooner. If they're headed up, it gives them an upward boost. All projectiles go through a one and one half twist(360 degrees, plus another 180, USUALLY headed in the original left-right direction), before release. Anomalies observed:

"Guided" shooters like A. Sate, Knight: The "painter" shot gets screwed first, then the actual projectiles get screwed as well. Since the projectiles are usually pointed downwards, this means they will almost always fall short when pathed through a hurricane. Solution is to overshoot by about 1/4 of the power meter. For all other mobiles, increase by 1/4 if your shot will be down by the time it reaches the hurricane, decrease by the same if you're upthrusting into the hurricane. Note that while Aduka's "worm" shots may be screwed by the hurricane, Thor isn't so easily fooled. Thor's lasers always go in a straight line from Thor to impact zone(this has strategic implications for anyone using/facing Aduka).

Okay, what else...

Some "enchantments" stack. When Sun, Lightning, or Hurricane stack with themselves(you can never have more than one enchantment on screen at a time, barring the lightning item), you will see multiple columns of the same effect. As far as I know, Lightning does not stack with itself(ie, you still only get 1 lightning strike per projectile impact) Multiple hurricanes will lead to a lot of "WTF!" moments(especially amongst A. Sate/Knight players) unless planned for(easiest if they're spaced equidistant from the apex of your shot) I'm unsure about multiple light columns. Since I have no idea how much they boost a regular shot's damage by(probably 25%?), I cannot comment on whether the effects stack.

I think that's about all I have to add for now. Still a little depressed about having to attend a military briefing on a Saturday morning.
Woo, been years since I've been able to nit someone.

First, WL's post:

2: The amount of turns before the next weather effect happens is equal to the number of people in the game. If it's a 4v4, it'll be 8 turns between each weather effect change.

4: You can see a list of each gold bonus and penalty at http://gunbound.net/game/score.asp

11: Sniper mode is the same as Slice, but it's supposed to be able to 'snap back' to the exact power of your last shot, providing you shoot with a power within a certain percent of it (5% I believe), but yes, it's currently busted, all it does now is add a small amount of power after you let go of the space bar.

--------

Alright, moving on to the Kat's post:

Firstly, your calculations for Thor level are kinda way off, but I don't have accurate numbers, you should be able to find them either on GBHQ or Planetgunbound.com

Item lock doesn't recharge SS any faster.

Again with the wind, wind is the same on any stage. All levels have their weather effects randomly generated when the map is loaded at the beginning of the game, so any level can get 3 wind changes in a row, and Miramo Town can have none.

When shooting into hurricanes, you only need to compensate 4 to 5 power ticks, not 1/4 of the entire meter. Upwards into a hurricane undershoot, if your shot is gonna hit it on its downward angle, overshoot. Note that hurricanes will absolutely screw over mobiles with weapons that consist of multiple projectiles (bigfoot, turtle shot2, raon shot1, etc), because each projectile will get swept away by the hurricane.

Regarding force beams and stacking; they do stack, but not how you think. The % boost a projectile gets from a forcebeam is proportional to the amount of time it actually spends IN the beam, not just whether it passes through it. So, for example, if you shot an ultra high angle shot through a force beam, or if a force beam landed directly on an enemy mobile, you'd do a ton more damage than just a regular shot passing through them.
[Image: 25908kuenZ.png]
Quote: Nice job, WarLocke. That is the info I needed before I started.

Great! I'm glad the 90 minutes or so I spent on that post at 4:00 am were appreciated. :D

I thought it strange that there wasn't anything like that available, either (at least not anywhere I could find it at).

Quote:Is anyone still talking about starting a Lurkers guild?

I am, too. SheepHunter suggested it originally, but he started a new account I think, and I don't know if he has enough in-game gold to start the guild (IIRC you need to be a certain rank and spend 20,000 gold to start a guild). I think he and Omega are the only posters who are a high-enough rank to start the guild at the moment...

In any case, wether we form a guild or not, we have the Buddy list. More buddies is always good, since some of the public games really turn into cesspools. :(

EDIT:

O NOES!

I been nitted! :P

... Never said I was an expert at GB, only that I was trying to teach Lochnar some stuffz (me being just slightly less noobish than he was at the time).

<Derail: Lochnar got entirely too good at the game entirely too fast. OMGWALLHACK? :lol: >

P.S.: Omega, just for you:

[Image: emote_trashbear.gif]
WarLocke,Feb 2 2004, 11:54 PM Wrote:Derail:&nbsp; Lochnar got entirely too good at the game entirely too fast.

I got plenty lucky and the rest of you seemed to be taking pot shots at each other and ignoring the n00b, allowing me to survive much longer than I should have. ;) You should have seen me playing in a quick game I grabbed earlier - what a putz! I was lucky there was ground or I might have hit nothing. :o

Quote:&nbsp; OMGWALLHACK? :lol:
??? are you calling me a hack or a hacker?? :lol:

I made another huge mistake today too. I browsed the avatar shop. Oh man! Talk about a kid in a candy store. "I want one of those, and one of those, and one of those..." I better play some tonight if I ever hope to buy some goodies. Geez - work, work, work....
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
WarLocke,Feb 2 2004, 04:54 PM Wrote:P.S.: Omega, just for you:

[Image: emote_trashbear.gif]
[Image: emot-ninja.gif]
[Image: 25908kuenZ.png]
The black hole recharging SS was based on something I read back on GBHQ.

And the Thor levels are about right, from memory anyway. Just divide the values by about 2 and they should be accurate for most mobiles.
Also if you don't know it yet, shooting inside the green area (not the dark green one, aka more or less the middle) will give you extra damage, of course not every mobile have this but a few examples are: Boomer launcher, bigfoot and Ice/Mammoth
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Damn you all to hellfire!!!

I was just about to hit the "ok, time for a few weeks vacation"-time with playing Diablo 2, and happened to stumble across this thread... Yeah, cool, lets try it out then... And I haven't been able to stop after that! Been playing this stupid game for like 12 hours a day for the past few days, and even passed out from school because of it! :blink:

Games like these should be made illegal!

Anyho, I'm just about to reach double Stone Ax lvl very soon I think and starting to get actually quite good, although I've stayed in Beginner Zone for now... I'm quite sure I'll get owned by anyone beyond Metal Axe, so I've stayed far out from Free Zone :P

My nick is Thlayli in GB too though, contact me if you want, and I could be interested of that guild if you need more members :)
Well, since it's been ages since I've seen any of you on, I decided to share my meager learning experiences with Boomer, after playing and learning from the "experts"

To hook a backshot, you have to fire above 50 degrees, into the wind(which must be going at least horizontal, if not upwards, else you shoot yourself), at less than 3/4 strength. Note that you cannot go more than 1/2 a screen like this, generally speaking.

To shoot into the wind without backshot(so that you arc forwards and slightly down), go under 40 degrees(I usually do 35)

To shoot vertically, go with a "neutral"(neither left nor right, or very minor bias) wind, and shoot at about 80+ degrees in the direction desired(if you shoot into the wind, you could get a backshot high angle)

Any other shots are pretty straightforward.

For Nak shot 2, try to gauge where a shot 1 would land. Then cut about 1/2 an inch of power from there(unless you're shooting vertically)

My $0.02
Quote:since it's been ages since I've seen any of you on

I've been busy lately. Sorry. :(

I'll try to make time tonight...
AtomicKitKat,Feb 23 2004, 03:10 PM Wrote:Well, since it's been ages since I've seen any of you on, I decided to share my meager learning experiences with Boomer, after playing and learning from the "experts"
I'm usually on for a couple games each night but, when I see you on, you're usually playing with the big boys so I don't try to join you. I try to stay to the n00b non-avatar rooms. There tends to be a little more tolerance of bad shots (sometimes it's good there is ground so I can hit something :lol: ) and I hate playing against the equipment rather than the player.

Thanks for some insights into those 2 mobiles. I have never tried either because they seemed to require even more finesse than my usual choice. Lately I've usually been using the cakebot. I know it has high cheese factor, but I enjoy trying to move bots together for myself and others. I even managed 3 DK's in the past couple days. Yay me! :D
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I always pick the Weapon Finesse feat! :P

But yeah, even after 2 weeks of learning Boomer, I'm only marginally better than normal. A hell of a lot better than when I started out though. But it's hard to resist the temptation to shotgun, over "style" shots.
Geeze. I think GB is one of those games where I'll forever be a perpetual noob.

I got in some good games with AtomicKitKat and Lochnar last night, but I kept having dam hot & cold games. I'd do 1,000+ damage one game, then not hit anything the next. It got so bad AKK was visibly frustrated...

It culminated in possibly the most awesome flash I've had. I whiffed an easy ballistic shot (cold), which dug under and tagged someone else on the bum (hot). AKK pretty much summed it up: "Best. Miss. Ever." :lol:
WarLocke,Feb 24 2004, 07:25 PM Wrote:It culminated in possibly the most awesome flash I've had.&nbsp; I whiffed an easy ballistic shot (cold), which dug under and tagged someone else on the bum (hot).&nbsp; AKK pretty much summed it up: "Best. Miss. Ever."&nbsp; :lol:
You could so easily have said, "That's who I was aiming for!" You had the choice of 2 kills knowing that I was there to pick up the other. I think those games were good times had by all even if AKK did get a little frustrated with us "perpetual n00bs". B)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Nah, I lose my temper when I have to repeat the instructions even though it's EXACTLY the same shot you guys did 5 minutes ago in a different game. And once a month(not totally true. Since Bush went into Iraq, I had to double up on my "Unleashed Day"s) I take some time out to flare up.
Regular shots (This includes Boomer in 1 or 0 wind, excludes Bigfoot and usually Grub) will always go one full screen length at 80 or 81 degrees, full power, in 1 or 0 wind. 85 is half a screen length, and 89 is about three mobile lengths away.

I almost always shoot at full power so I don't have to time anything or be very precise with my mouse work.

When the wind is blowing about 4 North, or away from you, raise your angle by 1, and for every 4 afterwards. When the wind is blowing about 4 South, or towards you, lower your angle by 1, and for every 4 afterwards.

Of course, this is very vague and the best way to learn it is to experiment with your mobile. Boomer, at higher winds, can't do this at all. Bigfoot's shots require a lower angle, as they seem to need more oomph to get where they're going. Grub is terrible at high angles as it's shots spread out like crazy, as well as bounce off the roof, setting off the timer earlier. <_<

Edit: 'Ware the hurricanes!
A plague of exploding high-fives.
My brother pointed out to me that Grub's shots(2 and SS) have a 3 second timer. That is, 3 seconds after initial "impact", they explode, unless the impact happens to be a mobile. This also explains why it's usually better to lob an ss into the hole, rather than rolling.

I don't get as precise as that, Sheep. I just generally estimate stuff, and I'm usually off by about 1/2 a mobile at most, unless I'm sleepy or the wind changes on my turn(and sometimes if it changes in the turn before mine).