Potion of the Empyrean Bow of the Undead Crown
Roland,Feb 5 2004, 10:49 AM Wrote:Inquiring modders want to know. ;)
Ohh, by moding I can't tell off hand. But with the source it would be easy. The game uses a rather "strange" system of having various matrices of the dungeon. There, it sets the monsters number (if I recall correctly) into the tiles where it is currently residing. When moving, it will be in two tiles at once, however, the way it marks those tiles differ depending on direction it walks. It can mark with the monster number or the negative value of the monster number for example.

The ToHit only check for positive values (or negatives I don't remember). When walking horisontally, both the target tile and the one you leave is marked in a way that will not trigger a tohit (the monster does not exist for that purpose). I suspect this might in some way have to do with how the game handle the mouse over the dungeon and what can and can't be "seen" and overlapping things and such (if not, I have really no idea).

An easy way to fix it would be to simply add another matrix to handle ToHit. Or to change the use of the current one and change how the mouse works (if that is the reason it is as it is). One can also change how the ToHit checks for targets and simply have it check both positive and negative numbers (should possibly be modable) although it might end up playing different than one is used to.

Finally, I am not sure the game treated monsters and players identical in this aspect, but again, I can't remember. Ohh, and really finally, melee attacks, doesn't check tiles at all, but rather just calculate the distance to the target (which is why a monster will hit you when it stands in the same tile that you do (due to some bug you can end up that way), while a player can't do that since it check tiles. It is a bit messy as anyone can see, and cleaning that up would make it better. Not possible in a mod I would say though.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Here is the screenshot from the first transformation. It's horrible, but I hope you can tell something is amiss.

[Image: 0.jpg]
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Blimey. Did you press print screen and paste the clipboard into paint, or is this the result of the normal screencapturing routine? :ph34r:
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
NiteFox,Feb 24 2004, 09:14 PM Wrote:Blimey.  Did you press print screen and paste the clipboard into paint, or is this the result of the normal screencapturing routine? :ph34r:
Normal screencapturing routine. I have no idea what went wrong, only that it went wrong every time I tried.
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
Lady Vashj,Feb 25 2004, 01:05 PM Wrote:Normal screencapturing routine.  I have no idea what went wrong, only that it went wrong every time I tried.
Diablo saves screenshots as a .PCX file. I assume you converted it to .JPG using some other utility? Could you email me the original unconverted image? I'll see what I can get out of it if you'd like.

deebye@softhome.net
If I can find it. I'm afraid the only copy of the original was stored on a diskette that my brother wiped out. I'll take a new screenie and see if I keep having problems; if I do, I'll send the original of that one to you.
[COLOR=purple] :unsure: There any solutions to this problem? I'd kinda like my Edge back. I had the same thing happen to me as happened to Lady Vashj except I had been pushing hard to the point where I was a level 18 rogue on d-level 10 and had been dying quite a bit so I decide to go back and my prize possesion, my Grizwalds Edge, turns into a Mana Shield scroll that calls itself a Wizard Spike. I am playing with no patches for various reasons and would like to try and get my Edge back with me to a fresh "new game" but can't figure out a way to keep it aside from maybe getting another unique item and hoping the bug eats that sacrificial lamb. Only problem being I'm kinda at my limit and dying a lot. Anyone have and good suggestions???