CD Exploded In Drive?
Greetings! It has been a LONG time!

So I was happily playing my god-like (hardly) LAW, without a care in the world, when suddenly half of my PC exploded. Literally thousands of razor sharp pieces of the Diablo CD flew everywhere at half the speed of sound, very nearly decapitating me (escaped with minor injuries).

A couple of weeks ago I saw proof that this is possible on Discovery Channel's Mythbusters, [1 CD out of 10,000?] so I disregarded the fact that "Diablo" himself had something to do with it, although family members and people all over town, who heard the petrifying sound of TNT exploding in the Grand Canyon, think otherwise. (I blame Wirt, the bastard).

Reason I'm posting, aside from the necessity of sharing that amazing NDE (Near-Death-Experience), is to ask how I can possibly play Diablo WITHOUT the CD (it's only installed). I know that normally to do this I'd need to copy a file from the CD (super-glue is not an option), is there a way around this?

Eagerly awaiting replys,
NEX - who thinks CDs are out to get him.

[Edit: On a side note, I missed the warning label that high RPS CDs could become dangerously explosive and blow the hell out of your face. Who do I sue?]
:o

Congratulations on surviving. I'm astonished that happened. I've actually never heard of that happening before. As you mentioned, is this a recent problem with new very high speed cdrom drives? Or should I be scared that my head may be next, when my 32x cdrom spins a cd?

Although it may be an issue with newer games, I'd suggest copying the cd and using that next time. As far as I know this is not illegal, at least with DVD's, Rom's and MP3's, my understanding is that if you already own it, and only use the copy for your own use, it is within legal rights. Reason being? When I lose cd's (which happens when you move a lot between college, home, summer sublets, etc) I know the original is still sitting in the box.

As far as my knowledge goes there is no way to run a cd without it in the drive, if the cd has previously been destroyed. Programs that enable you to do this require a copy of the cd to copy it on the hard drive, which is then referenced in place of the cd.

Correct me if I'm wrong,

And I wish the best in mental and physical recovery!

Just remember, computers are your friends even though they might try to kill you from time to time.

Cheers,

Munk

Edit: Clarity.
Munkay,Oct 27 2004, 03:43 AM Wrote::o

Congratulations on surviving.  I'm astonished that happened.  I've actually never heard of that happening before. ...

Hi Munkay,

Searched a bit and found a thread dealing with the cd-explode matter. Has a lot of useful links in it: click here
Hope this helps.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Much appreciated Fraigbait. :) Too bad we can't -nt- in topic lines anymore.

Cheers,

Munk
Munkay,Oct 27 2004, 07:09 AM Wrote:Much appreciated Fraigbait. :) Too bad we can't -nt- in topic lines anymore.

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]58348[/snapback][/right]

Well, if you are sneaky, you can gauge how much space is shown in the threaded view for each post(it does appear to be the same amount of space for each post), and just keep your -nt- post within that limit.
And they say Diablo's harmless fun. Boy, are right about the fun part!
Munkay,Oct 27 2004, 01:43 AM Wrote::o

Congratulations on surviving.  I'm astonished that happened.  I've actually never heard of that happening before.  As you mentioned, is this a recent problem with new very high speed cdrom drives?  Or should I be scared that my head may be next, when my 32x cdrom spins a cd?

[right][snapback]58302[/snapback][/right]

In the old floppy days you'd lose a finger, tops. Scrap your PCs before it's too late? Or convert them into Cold-Coffee™ machines.

It can happen, specially with worn out CDs. Drives are getting faster, but CDs aren't getting stronger. You've got to be a really lucky sob like me to have it happen to you, however. Most likely, when the Osama Drive™ detonates the bomb, the case will hold the deadly fragments. There's still the possibility of it exploding right as your about to open your drive, and oh boy that'll leave a mark (on the other side of your skull). Make sure the CD has come to a complete stop before getting too close to the drive.

Gaming is a life-threatening situation, now that makes it a whole lot more fun -- doesn't it?

I was thinking earlier (wow) about opening the newspaper and reading "Boy Killed by Explosive CD", now that goes into the book of useless deaths. MORTE INUTIL!

Now that I see it, maybe some terrorist could come up with some sort of software that makes people's drives spin out of proportion thus "set up us the bomb" in millions of households. We might see a science fiction movie on this.

TALK ABOUT PARANOIA!
"I told you not to stick that me in me!"
"You've been deleted!."
"Drives Return: Twice as fast?"
Rise of the machines?
My friend had one of the first (and only) 72x CD-ROM drives. It worked fairly well for about 2-3 weeks, but a CD-ROM eventually did explode in the drive. My friend later found out there was a massive recall on the drive, but too late. He ended up purchasing another computer. So its' not just CD-ROMS exploding you have to worry about, but spin-speeds in excess of 54x!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin