Gradual Reduction in MF Effectiveness
Great Thread guys ... and although I have no intent to ever tabulate all my finds, my personal experience is that, the longer I do meph hell runs w/ my 600%+ mf sorc & 140% mf merc ... letting him kill always ... the drops get worse and worse.

Although there is no evidence of this in the client side program, I believe that D2 programmers have incorperated this into the code

Juts my unfounded opinion,
Eric
Thank you. We always have a shortage of unfounded opinions, so this will really help us.
Quote from the Handbook of Fallacies: (bolds mine)

"* PROOF BY SELECTED INSTANCES
Richard Feynman: "Many years ago I awoke in the dead of night in a cold
sweat, with the certain knowledge that a close relative had suddenly died. I
was so gripped with the haunting intensity of the experience that I was
afraid to place a long-distance phone call, for fear that the relative would
trip over the telephone cord (or something) and make the experience a self-
fulfilling prophecy. In fact, the relative is alive and well, and whatever
psychological roots the experience may have, it was not a reflection of an
imminent event in the real world. After my experience I did not write a
letter to an institute of parapsychology relating a compelling predictive
dream which was not borne out by reality. That is not a memorable letter.
But had the death I dreamt actually occurred, such a letter would have been
marked down as evidence for precognition. The hits are recorded, the misses
are not.
Thus human nature unconsciously conspires to produce a biased
reporting of the frequency of such events. If enough independent phenomena
are studied and correlations sought, some will of course be found. If we
know only the coincidences and not the unsuccessful trials, we might believe
that an important finding has been made. Actually, it is only what
statisticians call the fallacy of the enumeration of favorable
circumstances." (Counting the hits and ignoring the misses.) "

I think that sums it up nicely. But hey, we can always use more "despite the total lack of evidence, I just think it must be true," contentions clouding the image.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Ive got the same thing, once did like 500 pindle's, after that 1 andy and 1 meph, those 2 dropes were UBER (meph : IK armor, perfect haevens light, almost perfect herald)
(andy : SoJ :D, almost perfect spectral shard, and a mavina diadem)

kinda nice right ? :P
That's really good since Mephisto can't drop Sacred Armors and Andariel can't drop Diadems.

Night Lord and Stygian Doll Bosses and Night Lord champions near Mephisto can drop Sacred Armors, though. However, there are no monsters in the Catacombs that can drop Diadems.
gekko,Feb 27 2004, 12:21 AM Wrote:We could also suggest that blizzard employs a bunch of teenagers they have locked underground who decide what item drops for every single monster killed in every game on every server.  In theory, it *could* be done.  It doesn't make any logical sense, but it could be done.
But wait! This is *Blizzard*! Not making any logical sense immediately gives the idea credibility! Though they would have to employ teenage crack monkeys...

-- CH
(I only replied because the thread was close to the top of the list. Really!!!)
well....did found a sacred armor...and mavina diadem....could be short before though?...or switched something with i already had...anyway the drop was really good :P
i noticed this too but i think i got a solution, ive tested it once. Lets just say you and your good ol'e buddy barb got 500 mf (some of us wish, mostly me :P) ok after several runs me get the affermentioned mf decline, if you have another mf gear thats one lower or one higer put it on and do a run then switch back, i got 2 good drops that way
"We need some sharp Object. Think, your formor self must have known of something that was sharp!"
"Here, this is sharp!"
"What is that! A butter knife? I will spread my evil and curruption with a Butter knife? What will we do, cover the place with butter so they all die of High Cholesterol?"
"We could try to"
"no you idiot we could NOT try"
Taken from "Hello Cthulhu" Page 12
Yet more wrong unfounded opinions. Joy.
wellm dang worked for me but it could of been a good streak lol i do admit tho mf find does get worse every conscectuve run kinda weird
"We need some sharp Object. Think, your formor self must have known of something that was sharp!"
"Here, this is sharp!"
"What is that! A butter knife? I will spread my evil and curruption with a Butter knife? What will we do, cover the place with butter so they all die of High Cholesterol?"
"We could try to"
If you have a statement like that, prove it. Show us the results of 1,000+ controlled MF runs, recording the quality of each dropped item (including failed uniques/sets). Show that there's a decrease in quality over time. Then do your "trick" and show another 1,000+ results, showing that this improved your chances. If it really has an effect, we should be able to see it in the data.

(I'm only guessing with 1,000+ value. I'm not sure just how many samples we'd need for a statistically conclusive result).
well, i was thinking of conducting a test, ask me in about 2 weeks. Ill let you know (i dont have time right now :)
"Here, this is sharp!"
"We could try to"
You all are lucky. Real luckey. See you can say that you had good drops in your early M.f. stages. However, my 400 mf sorc Cannot find anything at all worth keeping really. I logged over 650 Mephy (hell) runs and hey, igot an ariocs and a Griswald armor. So I decided to tackle Pindle, and hey! in less than 200 runs I had foud a not even close to halfway perfect Kiras Guardian. Then I went on to andy, found myself a well ~ its was just a manald. Good for a boost of excitement. Well mabey in the future a Blizz emplyee might accidentally re write that "script" if it exists and reverse this insanely crazy but viable Reduction Theo. <_<