Poison Resistance and Length Reduction
1. Poison resistance reduces length as well as damage? Does this work differently depending on the target? Was this different in 1.09?

2. "Poison Length Reduced By" stacks, i.e. 25 + 25 = 50% duration, as well as with the poison resist duration reduction (if assumption 1 is correct)? Do monsters have the capacity for "Poison Length Reduced By" mods (outside of the Uniques that can spawn with items)?

Thanks for the help.
Poison Resistance will only affect the damge rate of the poison, not the duration. There is an unlisted resistance for the poison duration. This resistance starts at 0% for all characters and is affected by the difficulty peanalty (-40% in NM and -100% in hell). This would mean that the same poison source would end up lasting for longer durations in nightmare or hell if used on a player.

The items with "Poison Length Reduced By" are in realality giving the character a poison-length resistance amount equal to the value listed. This is capped at a maximum effectiveness of 75% in all difficulties. If a player were in hell with two items that both gave "Poison Length Reduced By 75%", then the effective duration resistance for that character would be 0-100+75+75=+50% which would cut the duration of a poison effect to one half the time.

Monsters do not normally have any form of the poison length resistance. There are no attributes in the game to support raising the poison length resistance above its cap of 75%.
Ruvanal,Jun 3 2004, 07:59 PM Wrote:["Poison Length Reduced By"] is capped at a maximum effectiveness of 75% in all difficulties
...however, a 'resist poison' shrine appears to prevent you from being poisoned at all.

Does the paladin's Cleansing aura simply add the stated amount to a player's poison-length-resistance stat?
You don't know what you're talking about.
Yup. I second what Ruvanal wrote. It is what I've tried to explain in Section 1.2 of my damage modification page:

http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/damagereduction.html

Both Poison Resistance and Poison Length Reduction are resistances, i.e. they both function just like any other resistance (affected by difficulty penalty, normal resistance calculations, etc.). The former affects poison damage per frame and the latter the poison length in frames in similar manner (takes the original value and modifies it based on the resistance value).

Abilities that pierce poison resistance reduce both poison damage and poison length as stated in Section 3.2.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
Thank you all for the corrections. :)

This means that--with the exception of the ranged stacking bug-- the Tao of Poison is still accurate in regard to mechanics, correct?
Quote:...however, a 'resist poison' shrine appears to prevent you from being poisoned at all.

I've read that a poison shrine gives you the bonus % poison resist, as well as setting the duration of poison down to 1 frame.

This is right, right?

It just seems that you are immune because it goes so fast. Direct poison like andariel's poison wave should still hurt you a little. Also note the taking the shrine won't change the duration of existing poison.