Old gamers...
AtomicKitKat,Jun 8 2004, 06:07 AM Wrote:With all due respect, I think the phrasing is "Old age and experience will always beat youth and cunning"
Nope.

Natasha Kerensky stated it just like Shadow said, and Natasha is never wrong. :ph34r:

Mmmm, Alice Krige as the Black Widow... :o

</BTGeek>
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,Jun 9 2004, 02:09 AM Wrote:Natasha Kerensky stated it just like Shadow said, and Natasha is never wrong. :ph34r:
Hi

Heed the Jade Falcon

"Fly high, fly wild"

Starcommander Joanna sends her regards!

Remember Twycross :lol:
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
DeeBye,Jun 8 2004, 01:02 AM Wrote:Urinary incontinence is a serious problem for us old folks!&nbsp; It puts a severe damper on extended multiplayer gaming sessions.

I once tried to forego a much-needed Depends changing during a D2LoD game.&nbsp; I was a part of a great group, and I really didn't want to go AFK for the 3 minutes it would have taken me to change my diaper.&nbsp; I pushed on, and I regretted it.

My diaper leaked in a big way.&nbsp; Urine was pooled up below my computer.&nbsp; My Depends wasn't so dependable at all.

I could deal with the urine.&nbsp; I am used to that.&nbsp; I always have a mop and bucket handy for such issues.&nbsp; The major problem was that I also lost control of my bowels during the game.&nbsp; This is a rare occurance for us old folks, but once in a while it does happen.

So I'm sitting in front of my computer with a large urine pool below me, and&nbsp; an ever-expanding liquid feces phenomenon occuring in my pants.&nbsp; I should have grabbed the mop and bucket and cleaned the mess up, but the party I was in was really questing it up.&nbsp; I couldn't drop out of the party I was in, because it was questing FAST.&nbsp; I gained like 5 levels in half an hour.

I spent like 3 hours cleaning up after that.&nbsp; My computer chair still stinks.

DeeBye,

Unless you seriously have a problem at your advanced age, which I tend to doubt, I need to say I find this line of posting moderately offensive. I tried gentle sarcasm to bring this to your attention, but it did not seem to work. Such is the nature of the medium, and I don't blame you for not getting it.

If you do not have any problems peeing, I sincerely hope that it is something you are spared as you get older.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Jun 9 2004, 08:16 AM Wrote:
DeeBye,Jun 8 2004, 01:02 AM Wrote:Urinary incontinence is a serious problem for us old folks!  It puts a severe damper on extended multiplayer gaming sessions.

I once tried to forego a much-needed Depends changing during a D2LoD game.  I was a part of a great group, and I really didn't want to go AFK for the 3 minutes it would have taken me to change my diaper.  I pushed on, and I regretted it.

My diaper leaked in a big way.  Urine was pooled up below my computer.  My Depends wasn't so dependable at all.

I could deal with the urine.  I am used to that.  I always have a mop and bucket handy for such issues.  The major problem was that I also lost control of my bowels during the game.  This is a rare occurance for us old folks, but once in a while it does happen.

So I'm sitting in front of my computer with a large urine pool below me, and  an ever-expanding liquid feces phenomenon occuring in my pants.  I should have grabbed the mop and bucket and cleaned the mess up, but the party I was in was really questing it up.  I couldn't drop out of the party I was in, because it was questing FAST.  I gained like 5 levels in half an hour.

I spent like 3 hours cleaning up after that.  My computer chair still stinks.

DeeBye,

Unless you seriously have a problem at your advanced age, which I tend to doubt, I need to say I find this line of posting moderately offensive. I tried gentle sarcasm to bring this to your attention, but it did not seem to work. Such is the nature of the medium, and I don't blame you for not getting it.

If you do not have any problems peeing, I sincerely hope that it is something you are spared as you get older.
oops... and I just wanted to say that this was one of the funiest posts/reactions I have read here on the Lounge.

Anyway I can just say that often it is very good to laugh about things that are not so nice. If we always would be dead-serious about everything it would be .......well.....just not a lot of fun.

What is carpel tunnel by the way?
Assur,Jun 8 2004, 10:25 PM Wrote:Starcommander Joanna sends her regards!

Remember Twycross :lol:
:angry:

Joanna's just about the only good thing to ever come from the Falcons.

And that jump-jet thing on Twycross was just bunk. Stravags.
eppie,Jun 9 2004, 12:04 PM Wrote:What is carpel tunnel by the way?
Have you heard of the "Big Dig" in Boston ? I think its one of the new tunnels to Logan Airport ..... :blink:

..... or maybe my old age is playing tricks on me ...... :P
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
TaMeOlta,Jun 9 2004, 08:18 AM Wrote:
eppie,Jun 9 2004, 12:04 PM Wrote:What is carpel tunnel by the way?
Have you heard of the "Big Dig" in Boston ? I think its one of the new tunnels to Logan Airport ..... :blink:

..... or maybe my old age is playing tricks on me ...... :P
Completely Off Topic: My Uncle was offered to head the Big Dig back when it started (What, over 10 years ago now?) Thankfully he's an intelligent man and ran as fast as he could!

-Munk
eppie,Jun 9 2004, 12:04 PM Wrote:oops... and I just wanted to say that this was one of the funiest posts/reactions I have read here on the Lounge.
Me too. I didn't want the thread to go off-topic, so I didn't go on and on about how funny the post was, but I was laughing hard when I read Deebye's post :)

As for the topic, I often get a sore, stiff wrist after having played Diablo2 for hours or if I spend a lot of time typing really fast; such is the case when I write down my lecture notes on my PC. I then often take a break for a few hours by doing something which doesn't involve moving my hand (watching The Sopranos or Seinfeld most often) and I come back refreshed for another Countess/Andy/Travincal/Mephisto/Baal-run :)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
eppie,Jun 9 2004, 08:04 AM Wrote:oops... and I just wanted to say that this was one of the funiest posts/reactions I have read here on the Lounge.
Thank you for the compliment.

edit:
[ Wrote:Angel,Jun 9 2004, 10:31 AM]
Me too. I didn't want the thread to go off-topic, so I didn't go on and on about how funny the post was, but I was laughing hard when I read Deebye's post :)

You too :)

eppie,Jun 9 2004, 08:04 AM Wrote:Anyway I can just say that often it is very good to laugh about things that are not so nice.&nbsp; If we always would be dead-serious about everything it would be .......well.....just not a lot of fun.

Well said.

You know what else I find funny? Old people with false teeth! One day at work I saw this elderly lady wobble into our store. She looked like she was about 285 years old and had skin which looked like tree bark. And not the nice looking birch bark, I'm talking about the really crinkled stuff you find on trees in haunted forests.

Anyways, this old lady decided that she was in a perfect place to do some maintenance on her teeth. I'm not sure why she chose the entrance to our store, but I'm sure she had a perfectly valid reason. She reaches into her mouth and pulls our her false teeth and proceeds to wipe them off on her shirt. She plops them back into her mouth and goes on her merry way.

It was very disturbing to witness, but hilarious.

Last weekend I attended a birthday party for my 93 year old grandfather. The whole family was there, even my Uncle Bill from Newfoundland (btw, everyone needs an Uncle Bill from Newfoundland. If you've ever met a Newfie in real life you'll understand). Fun was had by all. We ate dinner at the annointed old-people dinner hour, which was 3 pm.

After dinner came the cake. I was hoping to see 93 birthday candles on the cake, but sadly there were only a dozen or so. It took my grandfather about 3 minutes to blow them all out, and I was afraid he was going to pass out from the effort. After we all indulged in cake, it was time for my grandfather to make a speech.

He thanked us all for being there, and expressed appreciation for the cards and gifts. He wrapped up his speech by accidently spitting his false teeth out into the half-eaten cake in front of him.

That was the end of the party for him. He left and I got drunk with my Newfie Uncle Bill.
Hey, DeeBye,

Just out of curiosity, why did you feel compelled to repeatedly drag this thread off-topic?

Is there some reason you don't think discussing RSI's (Repetitive Stress Injuries) is appropriate on this forum?

For that matter, how come no one other than Munkay gave a serious reply?

Is no one here affected by RSI's? Or does no one want to discuss it because of the Ostrich Syndrome, i.e., if you acknowledge the possibility, it might happen? Ostriches stick their head in the sand for a reason, right? :D

Or maybe, discussing it is percieved as a 'whiny' activity, and 'Real Men' don't complain?

Or maybe those who do have RSI's due to excessive gaming are too embarrassed to admit their stupidity? ;)

I started a serious reply to the original poster last night, but ran out of time and energy before I finished it, so thought I would come back today to do so.

However, if no one here gives a #$%&, why should I bother?

As a somewhat 'mature gamer' [52] who has had their gaming experience seriously adversely affected by an RSI, due to excessive mouse-clicking while playing games, I think this is something that should be discussed here (and elsewhere on the net), but hey, I'm not the type to shout into the wind... I'm not going to waste keystrokes that aggravate my already over-stressed hands if no one cares. In fact, I probably won't bother to reply, regardless of any response(s) to this post. I just don't spend that much time on the 'net anymore.

Anyway, I was just surprised that there was so little serious response to the original post, which I thought deserved lots of discussion. But, maybe it's been done to death elsewhere...?

Oh well, I'm out of here.

Regards,

Dako-ta

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein
Dako-ta,Jun 9 2004, 07: Wrote:Just out of curiosity, why did you feel compelled to repeatedly drag this thread off-topic?
Well, I can't speak for DeeBye, but I didn't reply to the original topic simply because I don't suffer from any sort of repetitive stress. So I really don't have a leg to stand on as far as that goes, I guess.

Then again, I'm not exactly an 'old' gamer, so I'm probably not the target demographic, anyway.
Hi,

For that matter, how come no one other than Munkay gave a serious reply?

Speaking for myself (and I guess I qualify as an "old timer" at 58), I said nothing because I had nothing useful to say. I'm far from the picture of perfect health, but none of my problems are due to gaming or even computer use. To the original question, "I've been worrying about carpel tunnel and arthritis. Is there a senior lurker around who can tell me how age affects their gaming abilities?" I would have to have given the useless reply, "Not I."

I can give a pretty good lecture about picking ancestors, but that, as they say, is another topic.

wever, if no one here gives a #$%&, why should I bother?

Because you have something useful to contribute? Look at it from this point of view: if many people had posted useful information, then your post would add little and even, perhaps, be redundant. But since no one had much information, then that would have made your post more valuable.

Whatever, Good to see you around. Drop by again, perhaps even sooner than five years :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Dako-ta,Jun 9 2004, 07: Wrote:Is no one here affected by RSI's? Or does no one want to discuss it because of the Ostrich Syndrome, i.e., if you acknowledge the possibility, it might happen? Ostriches stick their head in the sand for a reason, right? :D

Or maybe, discussing it is perceived as a 'whiny' activity, and 'Real Men' don't complain?

Or maybe those who do have RSI's due to excessive gaming are too embarrassed to admit their stupidity? ;)
Hi Dako-ta

I fall into the 'mature gamer' category too.

But I have yet to experience any such problems. I have, on occasion, suffered a sore right forefinger from excessive clicking - especially back in the days of playing a Rogue in D1 and playing for too long. It was easily cured by taking a break from gaming for a few days.

But, as kandrathe mentioned in his 'serious' response to the question - it is a matter of listening to your body. You are not supposed to have pain. It is your body's communication method to tell you to stop doing what hurts. He said it so well that I felt no compulsion to add any further comment.

Perhaps my background makes me more apt to listen to my body. My spouse is a Chiropractor, and after listening for 25 years to his after-work comments about the sorts of injuries he is called upon to heal, I know that that ounce of prevention is much better than the pound of cure.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Dako-ta,Jun 10 2004, 12: Wrote:For that matter, how come no one other than Munkay gave a serious reply?
Admittedly, my response was couched in lightness and cynicism due to two things. First, the title of the original post was "Old gamers..." Coming from someone obviously younger than myself, in our society's vernacular, the word old becomes a little insulting. It takes on a little of the tone of someone like me, a caucasion, using the "N" word to describe a black person. Second, Munkay commented that "computer gaming is still very new". I've been playing games on computers for well over 30 years, and I wasn't "the first kid on the block", and on game consoles (considering the first pong a console) for longer than that. Not new by my measure.

Even so, there was a serious response in there that made these points:

- We played for many years with very bad equipment, especially compared to all the ergonomically designed controllers, keyboards, displays and seating they have now.

- Carpal tunnel and arthritis generally come from other things besides gaming. Certainly, gaming can aggravate those conditions but, unless a person tends to play the same game over and over, there tends to be more variety in our movements than there is with just typing and there is none of the trauma caused by heavy vibration/impact type activities.

- Even though I have a direct family history of both carpal tunnel and arthritis, I have never experienced any problems with them and I have done at least as much gaming as anyone here.

Better? I see no reason why a response needs to be dry and clinical to be considered serious. This is especially true here in The Lounge, the party room of the forum.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
While I generally eschew "me too" posts, your reply more eloquently captures my response than I can express. Consider it seconded.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Dako-ta,Jun 9 2004, 08: Wrote:For that matter, how come no one other than Munkay gave a serious reply?

Dako-ta,

If you don't understand something, please ask. My original response to unreal was entirely serious if perhaps a bit laconic. Not wanting to sound like an advertisement, Celebrex is an excellent anti-inflammatory that I take pretty much every day. I had to stop using a mouse a few years ago because of bursitis. I now use a trackball with better results, but I am developing a wrist problem, I believe from how I rest my wrist when using the trackball. A couple of days last week I was playing through a fair amount of pain and doubled the dose of Celebrex, which my doctor said was effective as long as I did not take a double dose too often.

My no/text line was intended to be mildly humorous. I in fact do have some teeth, even if they do not work that well. Since the dental problems are not directly related to the subject, I did not expound.

I was not the one who started talking about Depends, but if you have never wet your computer chair during DII, the experience is highly overrated. A catheter bag is recommended.
Quote: Hey, DeeBye,

Just out of curiosity, why did you feel compelled to repeatedly drag this thread off-topic?

Hiya Dako-ta!

I wasn't aware that I was singlehandedly dragging this thread off-topic. The great thing about forum threads is that many branches of discussion can occur at the same time. The initial thread topic is still there. All one has to do is post about it.

Quote:Is there some reason you don't think discussing RSI's (Repetitive Stress Injuries) is appropriate on this forum?

All I did was make a few jokes about getting old. I'll admit that it wasn't exactly on-topic, but since when has humour (even my own brand of lengthy unfunny humour) ever been taboo here?

Quote:For that matter, how come no one other than Munkay gave a serious reply?

I'm going to echo what Pete said. I don't have any problem whatsoever with RSI as a result of gaming, so any serious reply would have been a non-answer. Instead, I tried to lighten the mood and perhaps entertain a few people with something I made up about stereotypical old people problems. I didn't realise that so many people would take offense to it. I guess I misjudged the audience here.

Quote:However, if no one here gives a #$%&, why should I bother?

I, for one, give a #$%&. Just because I am not currently afflicted with RSI doesn't mean I am not interested in what other people have to say on the subject. I also have the ability to joke about getting old on one hand and be concerned about it on the other. I am starting to slowly go bald, but I make a lot of bald jokes to my older brother because he is a cue ball. I'm not exactly enamoured with the idea of going bald, but that doesn't mean I can't have a little fun with the whole idea of baldness.

Oh hey, look at how much further (farther? I forget) I am derailing this thread!

In summary, I apologise if I inadvertently offended you with my posts. I've always respected you.
nt - no tunnel
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

LavCat,Jun 9 2004, 11:32 PM Wrote:I was not the one who started talking about Depends, but if you have never wet your computer chair during DII, the experience is highly overrated.&nbsp; A catheter bag is recommended.
I can't imagine a catheter being a preferable alternative to anything, ever.

BTW, I have heard of Celebrex but I've never really learned much about it. I suppose I could do a Google search and learn about it that way, but I'd rather have a first-hand opinion on the matter.

I've had a few problems in the past that required anti-inflammatories, but I've never been prescribed Celebrex. Is it more effective than the standard prescribed fare? I cannot recall offhand what I was prescribed last, but it didn't act as any sort of pain-relief. As far as I could tell, all it did was make the inflammation around my heart go down and make me feel better.
DeeBye,Jun 9 2004, 11:57 PM Wrote:I can't imagine a catheter being a preferable alternative to anything, ever.

If you are a boy, that might color your perspective. However in any case a catheter is a whole lot better than not peeing.

In my experience Celebrex is great for joint problems. I take it mainly for my feet. I certainly am not a doctor, but I believe it would not be suitable for inflammation due to infection of any kind.

A few years ago I was on a different anti-inflammetory, but since I cannot recall the name, the information is possibly less helpful. It did upset my stomach though.

I could help with a thread on heart problems, but I think we had that a couple of months ago? -- and it would seem unreal is no longer here to care.