Battl.net probs
magisleepy,Feb 22 2005, 11:33 PM Wrote:Sorry, I'm not gonna post the local address, but here's the rest:

TCP 63.240.202.130:6112 ESTABLISHED
TCP 63.240.202.130:6112 TIME_WAIT
[right][snapback]68760[/snapback][/right]

Your connection for BnFTP was successfully opened - and closed again. Either that, or you connected, dropped off, connected again, and then ran netstat. It's quite important that you run netstat on your first connection attempt after a long while idle.

Royal: Battle.net is not designed to work over UDP; bnbinary is a TCP protocol, as is bnftp.
I did the same thing paying particular attention to making it the first time in a long idle (2 days?). I got the same result, so can you tell if it's actually the router or not?
magisleepy,Feb 26 2005, 02:46 AM Wrote:I did the same thing paying particular attention to making it the first time in a long idle (2 days?). I got the same result, so can you tell if it's actually the router or not?
[right][snapback]69090[/snapback][/right]

It may be the router, or it may not. You only needed to be idle 5-10 minutes, I think. ;) Given the new information, I say with confidence the following occured:

You hit connect. Diablo opened a bnbinary connection for logon to a BNCS.
The server indicated the ToS should be downloaded (this is an oversimplification of the protocol, but it'll do).
Diablo opened a secondary connection for BnFTP to retrieve the ToS.
The secondary connection closed.

The problem is that last step, and I don't know what would cause it. I've never seen a client voluntarily shut down a connection prematurely, so either the server kicked you or your router did something very strange. Typically, I would've expected the router to prevent you from establishing the second connection, in which case the state should've been SYN_SENT instead of TIME_WAIT. Of course, being that you're using a home router, I won't rule out that it's at fault. I've seen plenty of braindamaged "home" routers do all kinds of strange things.

Immediately after this occurs, are you able to tell Diablo to bail out and reconnect? If so, how far does it progress before becoming stopped? That is, do you get to the character selection dialog (again), or does it hang with some text such as "Accessing account" (which is a horrible and misleading label; it really means "Attempting to connect to server"). If it hangs before reaching the character selection, please note and post the contents of the dialog on screen. By definition of it being "hung" in this state, you'll have time to do this. :)

Also, for the sake of thoroughness, have you tried establishing a bnchat connection? Procedure:
Start->Run->"telnet useast.battle.net 6112"
When the window opens, type "canonymous" (without quotes) and hit enter. If it works, you'll be logged in under an anonymous query connection. That'll establish pretty firmly that you can connect and retain a connection. Try this both before and after a failed attempt, and note any differences (in particular, whether it's slower / impossible after a failed attempt to connect with Diablo).