Battl.net probs
Hey guys, this is my first time getting on battle.net with Diablo, even though I've played a lot of single-player.

I can't seem to get connected. I try to start a new account but it just seems to freeze when it says downloading terms of services. I can cancel out of it, but it never actually downloads it. Anybody know how to help?
Have you ever patched the game? If not, you will probably need to download the 1.09 patch from Blizzard's website and install it manually.

If you already have the patch, there are many other possible problems. The first one that comes to mind is that your firewall could be blocking the ports Diablo needs access to.
yes, I've patched it. How would I go about solving the firewall problem?
magisleepy,Jan 29 2005, 12:07 PM Wrote:yes, I've patched it. How would I go about solving the firewall problem?
[right][snapback]66677[/snapback][/right]

Port 6112 needs to be open while Diablo is running. Exactly how to do this varies depending on what you are using as a firewall.

If this doesn't help, I'd suggest going to the Blizzard support site and running through the various issues they list there.
Ok, thanks man
I've found out that its my router that blocks the IP address, and my parents told me not to mess with it, because they're pretty paranoid folks.

Can ya'll explain to me the other methods of Multiplayer besides Battle.net? IPX network and Modem, specifically, becaues I'm pretty sure that Direct requires computers that are fairly close.
magisleepy,Feb 14 2005, 01:29 AM Wrote:I've found out that its my router that blocks the IP address, and my parents told me not to mess with it, because they're pretty paranoid folks.

Can ya'll explain to me the other methods of Multiplayer besides Battle.net? IPX network and Modem, specifically, becaues I'm pretty sure that Direct requires computers that are fairly close.
[right][snapback]68014[/snapback][/right]

Your router sucks, bad. It's quite possible to play from inside a secured routing device if it's configured well (and doesn't suck, which it seems yours does since you're not even downloading the ToS successfully).

IPX also requires computers in relatively close proximity, since it doesn't work well over WANs. I rather doubt any of us are within your local calling area, so modem doesn't look so good either. :) I'd suggest that you contact your local sysadmin (i.e. whoever installed the router) and see if they can make it work properly. Even in the most paranoid configuration, you should've been able to connect to bnet and enter chat, even if you couldn't play.
Thanks for the advice, but my dad's super paranoid, and he thinks everything I touch will be destroyed. I might be able to use the other ones to play with some close friends. Not that I dont' wanna play with you guys, but, hey, maybe some of you do live in Plano, Tx.
magisleepy,Feb 14 2005, 05:24 AM Wrote:Thanks for the advice, but my dad's super paranoid, and he thinks everything I touch will be destroyed. I might be able to use the other ones to play with some close friends. Not that I dont' wanna play with you guys, but, hey, maybe some of you do live in Plano, Tx.
[right][snapback]68022[/snapback][/right]

So make him fix it! ;) Really though, there's something wrong with its configuration if you can't even enter chat successfully. My suspicion is some very stupid attempts at anti-port-scanning code are interfering. A correct connection to battle.net goes as follows:

You open a TCP stream to bnet (henceforce BNCS) on port 6112.
It sends a batch of UDP datagrams at you to determine whether your connection is suitable for online play.
You open a secondary TCP stream to the same BNCS on the same port to retrieve files such as the ToS.

I suspect that your router is reacting stupidly when the UDP datagrams arrive and classifying the BNCS as a "malicious entity", which it then forbids you to connect to for fetching the ToS. Hopefully this information will help your father identify what's wrong with the router and fix it. :)

Modem play is pretty simplistic, and limited to 2 people per game. It's been ages since I had anyone to play with over modem, but if you find local area friends and have trouble with modem play, someone here can probably assist you.
NOw, that I've been messing with it, and sending inquires, I'm not sure if it's my router anymore. It could be, but it does technically say that it connected, but it won't dl the stupid terms and Agreements.

Oh well, on the plus side, I found a thinking cap and hidden shrine on the same level today.
magisleepy,Feb 15 2005, 03:54 AM Wrote:NOw, that I've been messing with it, and sending inquires, I'm not sure if it's my router anymore. It could be, but it does technically say that it connected, but it won't dl the stupid terms and Agreements.

Oh well, on the plus side, I found a thinking cap and hidden shrine on the same level today.[right][snapback]68094[/snapback][/right]

Possible reasons for failure to download ToS:
1) Unable to connect to server. This would likely be a badly configured router at fault, since you already have one connection to that server for logging on, so it's clearly reachable.
2) Server lacks the required file. The only situation in which I can believe this would happen is if you're connecting to some badly configured battle.net emulator. Note that playing on an emulator with other Blizzard games may have changed your server settings to select the emulator for Diablo as well.

As a relatively easy way to check these: what is listed in the Gateway selection at the MP screen? Gateway is at the bottom left. Also, while it is hung trying to download the file, tab out and run netstat -n. Post here with any lines which contain ":6112" (and post the entire line, please). You're behind a router, so the "local" IP is probably bogus. If you're concerned about posting your public IP address, just X that out. I only need the remote IP (the one next to the :6112) and the connection state.

As an amusing note, it's only because you're using such a badly written client (i.e. Blizzard code) that you're unable to logon. Emulation clients have no problem ignoring braindamaged servers.
Whoa I did that, but when I ran the "nstat -n", it went by so fast I couldn't even read it. It disappears in less than a second. How should can I find a way to make it last?

And the gateway is U.S. East. I've never even heard of battle.net emulators, nor played any battle.net games on this computer before. So that probability is not likely.
magisleepy,Feb 19 2005, 05:08 AM Wrote:Whoa I did that, but when I ran the "nstat -n", it went by so fast I couldn't even read it. It disappears in less than a second. How should can I find a way to make it last?

And the gateway is U.S. East. I've never even heard of battle.net emulators, nor played any battle.net games on this computer before. So that probability is not likely.
[right][snapback]68435[/snapback][/right]

Either you did it wrong, or there's something very wrong with your computer. There should never be enough output to cause it to scroll away on a Windows box. One line = one connection, and massive scrolling means lots of connections. That's very bad, and would indicate massive infection.

The other possibility is you didn't run it from a command prompt like you're supposed to. The 'run' menu is a horrible construct which should never be used under any circumstances. Graphical programs can be successfully launched from a prompt, but console programs cannot be launched (very usefully, anyway) from the Run menu. Thus, Run is inferior to any command prompt, even the Microsoft one.
Can you please explain how I should run it then?

And its not that it scrolls by, but the window closes almost as soon as it appears. I think there's only 3 or 4 lines, but it's so fast I can't really tell.
magisleepy,Feb 20 2005, 10:15 PM Wrote:Can you please explain how I should run it then?

And its not that it scrolls by, but the window closes almost as soon as it appears. I think there's only 3 or 4 lines, but it's so fast I can't really tell.
[right][snapback]68542[/snapback][/right]

If you are using Windows XP, go through the menus like this:

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

That will open a text window with a command prompt. From that command prompt, you type "nstat -n" and hit enter.
The command prompt is telling me that "'nstat' is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable file program or batch file.

Sorry for my total lack of computer proficiency, but now what?
magisleepy,Feb 22 2005, 01:57 AM Wrote:The command prompt is telling me that "'nstat' is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable file program or batch file.

Sorry for my total lack of computer proficiency, but now what?
[right][snapback]68615[/snapback][/right]

my windows also don't know the command nstat
RoYaL,Feb 22 2005, 05:52 AM Wrote:my windows also don't know the command nstat
[right][snapback]68641[/snapback][/right]

Errr, right. Because it should be "netstat". Sometimes Nystul's fingers type too fast for the brain to keep up, sorry.
Sorry, I'm not gonna post the local address, but here's the rest:

TCP 63.240.202.130:6112 ESTABLISHED
TCP 63.240.202.130:6112 TIME_WAIT
lil question: is bnet not working over udp? (i dont know very much about networking and udp and tcp and so on^^)