Let us post BattleTags
(04-21-2012, 12:56 PM)Ruvanal Wrote: If anyone needs my battletag you can contact me through a pm. I will not be posting it on a full public access forum.

Same. =)
Secrets... dirty little secrets! >:-D

I don't know the number by heart and I don't have my authenticator at work so I can't check for now. Soooo... just PM me and hopefully I'll remember to check tonight. Smile
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
(04-25-2012, 12:54 PM)Tal Wrote:
(04-21-2012, 12:56 PM)Ruvanal Wrote: If anyone needs my battletag you can contact me through a pm. I will not be posting it on a full public access forum.

Same. =)

You do realize you can deny people right? >.>
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(04-25-2012, 02:34 PM)Lissa Wrote: You do realize you can deny people right? >.>

Yeah, that's the whole intent of the Battletag vs RealID. It's just a name and number, and you can still say no.

You can also uncheck the 'allow quick join' if you absolutely want single-player in D3 for that session. Big Grin

Edit: Obviously, if you'd rather only share your tag with people you'll always want to play with, and never turn anyone down, then, I can see doing that. I'll say up front that if I make my game private and don't push the button to let someone in, it may just be that I don't want to be social that day, and no one should be offended by it. Big Grin
--Mav
Tarabulus#2982

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(04-25-2012, 03:11 PM)Mavfin Wrote: I'll say up front that if I make my game private and don't push the button to let someone in, it may just be that I don't want to be social that day, and no one should be offended by it. Big Grin

That's the problem. People will get offended anyway. It'll be like "why don't you want to talk/play with me? What did I do?"

It's the difference between writing in guild chat "Anyone for a 5-man?" and individually whispering everyone currently online in your guild if they want to go on a 5-man. With the latter, you put people in an awkward spot where they're forced to say no...and well, Tal's one of those nice guys who will do lots of things for others that he doesn't necessarily want to do, and there's only so much of that a guy can handle.

I also didn't post my Battletag publically - it'll get around soon enough once I start adding people, but I don't want Mr. Random Guy 10,000 adding me and then getting upset because I don't remember him from 12 years ago when he played a game of Diablo 1 with me.*

God, I'm cynical. Smile

*Yes, this happened.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(04-25-2012, 06:51 PM)Bolty Wrote:
(04-25-2012, 03:11 PM)Mavfin Wrote: I'll say up front that if I make my game private and don't push the button to let someone in, it may just be that I don't want to be social that day, and no one should be offended by it. Big Grin

That's the problem. People will get offended anyway. It'll be like "why don't you want to talk/play with me? What did I do?"

God, I'm cynical. Smile

Running this site for years can make a guy that way, I would agree, just from what I saw in the time I hosted it.

I guess if someone's offended by me not letting them in, then my thought would be that they might have been *even more offended* if I had let them in, then vented my frustration for the day on them. Big Grin

I guess that's why I don't expect to have flocks of Lurkers knocking on my door to play D3 with me, and expect more of Unrepentant and MWD to be around. They weren't there for the first couple post-heart-attack years when I wasn't a nice person to be around, so they don't hold those against me. Life goes on. Any of you who raided with me in Vanilla days on Stormrage probably know what I mean.

As far as public battletags, it's your choice. Bolty and Tal will be mobbed by people wanting to play with them, and I won't, so, it makes sense.
--Mav
(04-25-2012, 06:51 PM)Bolty Wrote: *Yes, this happened.
I THOUGHT WE WERE BEST FRIENDS FOREVER! RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRR Tongue
(04-25-2012, 06:51 PM)Bolty Wrote: God, I'm cynical. Smile

No...you're becoming Pete...
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Crusader#2480
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
Ynir#1828

hi all
(04-28-2012, 08:56 PM)Spangles Wrote: Ynir#1828

hi all

What happened to Ynir?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(04-28-2012, 09:58 PM)LavCat Wrote:
(04-28-2012, 08:56 PM)Spangles Wrote: Ynir#1828

hi all

What happened to Ynir?

Couldn't find Ynir's LL password, and my email had changed, so it was easier to start new.

I started eight D2/LOD ladder characters on US West this January as a vacation from WoW and brought six of them to lvl 90. The end game is harder than it was pre-2004 but good drops are more frequent.

I played the D3 open beta recently. D2 is pixilated and charming. D3 beta features modern graphics, and is gloomy & charmless. I plan to level a few characters to the end game just to see how it goes.
(04-28-2012, 11:26 PM)Spangles Wrote: I played the D3 open beta recently. D2 is pixilated and charming. D3 beta features modern graphics, and is gloomy & charmless. I plan to level a few characters to the end game just to see how it goes.

At the risk of derailing RTM's thread, the blacksmith is not exactly Charsi. And the beta felt more like Gilneas on a bad day than Sanctuary. Gloomy is fine. I've nothing against gloomy. It is, after all, Diablo, not Candy Land. But the D2 beta was a thrill, the D3 beta was not.

What's worse, other than the snazzy graphics, I didn't find the beta much of an improvement over playing Demon Stalkers on the Commodore twenty five years ago. Demon Stalkers had nice music too, and a level editor to design your own levels. And the ghosts would attack through walls. I don't see a quarter century of progress.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(04-29-2012, 03:30 AM)LavCat Wrote:
(04-28-2012, 11:26 PM)Spangles Wrote: I played the D3 open beta recently. D2 is pixilated and charming. D3 beta features modern graphics, and is gloomy & charmless. I plan to level a few characters to the end game just to see how it goes.

At the risk of derailing RTM's thread, the blacksmith is not exactly Charsi. And the beta felt more like Gilneas on a bad day than Sanctuary. Gloomy is fine. I've nothing against gloomy. It is, after all, Diablo, not Candy Land. But the D2 beta was a thrill, the D3 beta was not.

What's worse, other than the snazzy graphics, I didn't find the beta much of an improvement over playing Demon Stalkers on the Commodore twenty five years ago. Demon Stalkers had nice music too, and a level editor to design your own levels. And the ghosts would attack through walls. I don't see a quarter century of progress.

Charles Addams's work is well drawn, gloomy, and charming. D3 needs his input.
Hmmm, I have to disagree with the last few posts. D3 superior to D2 in every way imaginable from what I can see.....graphics, skill system, environment, game play...dont think there is a single thing about D2 that I like better than D3. Well, I kind of wish you could have more than 4 players, but this is irrelevant to game mechanics.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
Quote:
(04-29-2012, 08:42 PM)Spangles Wrote: At the risk of derailing RTM's thread, the blacksmith is not exactly Charsi. And the beta felt more like Gilneas on a bad day than Sanctuary. Gloomy is fine. I've nothing against gloomy. It is, after all, Diablo, not Candy Land. But the D2 beta was a thrill, the D3 beta was not.

Charles Addams's work is well drawn, gloomy, and charming. D3 needs his input.
Perhaps it is a phenomenon known to artists. Consider the Dutch masters versus the impressionists. With higher powered graphics cards, more detail is possible. The prior "bad" graphics left more for the brain to fill in the blanks, and created the mood our brains wanted.

But, on game play, I'm not familiar enough yet to comment. My first impression for PVE was that the game seemed to have a bit more control over the action than I did. My foray was as a ranged char using rooting traps and attempting to CC groups. I felt marginally able to control the game flow. I think in games there is a happy balance between predictability (e.g. the ability to use skills and get a sense of mastery), and unpredictability (no two game experiences are quite the same). Too much of the former, and the game become boring quickly. Too much of the later and game skill masteries are trumped by human gamer twitch reflexes (e.g. it doesn't matter how "skilled" your char is, its the humans skill that really matters -- see Doom3). I got that feeling in a couple places, when the fat guys explode and a bunch of "worms/eels" come rushing at you. Or, when you open a door and suddenly face a rush of 10 or so mobs who quickly overwhelm any attempt to keep them at range. Eventually, you pick up on the games visual clues of places that are potential "gotcha" sites and can prepare mentally for the "surprise". But, I'll stand by my prior comment. I've only played it during open beta for about 4 hours, so I'm still a DIII newb. I own it, so I'll save my final verdict on the game for sometime after the release and I've invested more time in attempting to master it. Sorry for the OT.

Oh, and Kandrathe#1364

P.S. The ONE thing they probably should have changed was the 2D isometric pseudo 3D graphics being the ONLY camera view. I remember Gauntlet for it's time was cool, but bad camera angles got really old even by DII standards. With the power of todays graphics processors, players should have more control over camera angles. How cool would it be to do DIII in first person?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Frag#1978.

Diablo 2 gave cause to a lot of whinging here, and with few exceptions, we enjoyed it despite it's radical departure from D1. It seems we're in a similar situation.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
swirly#1303

Finally got around to creating one of these. : )
Jabberwolky#1388