Personally to Jarulf
Hail Fragbait,

"when I meant 'all forums' I meant the 'search all forums' option"

I knew what you meant: I was just showing how much my name comes up: it was 330 hits *without fora*! Given I make probably two to three dozen posts a day, and have been posting for many years, searching any forum would be plain stupid ;) Now, as for actually searching a forum for ones name... it does seem awfully egotistical, don't you agree?

To everyone... either cool off, or I'm locking this thread. I know not all of you are getting hot under the collar here, but this is an open request to *all* Lurkers.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Occhidiangela,May 14 2003, 05:32 PM Wrote:*checks to see if I have stagnated*
Let me pull out my DSM (Digital Stagnation Meter)...

*applies leads* *checks ground*

Hmm...still posts funny content and useful content after all this time...isn't elitist to the point of yelling at any new poster who goofs up - so much so, unforgivingly, that the newbie becomes instantly hostile to the entire Lounge, guaranteeing complete forum stagnation...

Nope! No stagnation! Quality through and through. Don't ever leave, Occhi :)

-Bolty

P.S. Fragbait: hi there! Welcome to the Lounge. Jarulf will not be making a guide to D2 - however, if you would care to donate to the "Contribute $1 for Every Time Jarulf Has Been Asked if He Will Make a Guide for D2" fund, you will be adding to his already significant virtual wealth. I myself am a contributor (at least in spirit), since I was bugging him about it even a year or so before D2 came out. ;-) In fact, see This Interview back in 2000 I conducted.

P.P.S. To all: Interesting that as the forum activity rises in preparation for 1.10, so does the general hostility. Don't make me pull a Rodney King here! It was so nice for a while...with 1.10's release will come new posters. They will ask questions that have been asked before. Point them in the right direction and let them know about search, but let's not go biting their heads off now, ok? If a post is REALLY dumb, report it to us mods, and we'll smack the poster around a little - but that's so rarely necessary nowadays.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I agree with almost everything you said. Thanks for welcoming me... :D
In fact, it's a bit hard to work through the sum of information in form of interviews, reviews and reports that have been collected here for the last few years when you just started out, but I promise that I'll try...
:P
As to what concerns quick-posting: sometimes it is necessary. I might want to reduce this, though....

Thanks for your critics - as I said before: Nobody's perfect.
Right now, I'm going to read the interview... will be pretty interesting

Let's hope everyone still has fun in here - Stagnation is indeed no option :rolleyes:

Thanks for the whole support from all sides, including the private messages; I hope to get the chance to be helpful sometimes...
( got to be quick, because everybody here knows the answer to almost everything what concerns D, DII and LoD, so if one wants tobe the first who answers - phew... B) )

'Perhaps there, beyond the desolate wastes of the far east, you will find an answer. Or perhaps - salvation!'

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Bolty,May 14 2003, 11:55 PM Wrote:P.P.S. To all: Interesting that as the forum activity rises in preparation for 1.10, so does the general hostility.  Don't make me pull a Rodney King here!  It was so nice for a while...with 1.10's release will come new posters.  They will ask questions that have been asked before.  Point them in the right direction and let them know about search, but let's not go biting their heads off now, ok?  If a post is REALLY dumb, report it to us mods, and we'll smack the poster around a little - but that's so rarely necessary nowadays.
Someone who knows a lot more about 1.10 than any of us has given his opinion already (and I quote):

"One thing is for sure, this patch will piss *everyone* off."

^_^
Walkiry,May 15 2003, 09:01 AM Wrote:"One thing is for sure, this patch will piss *everyone* off."
Not me. But maybe that's because I'm high on stress relief pills.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
It won't piss *me* off. Unless they do not make it possible to make affixes that add to SKILL_THORNS and SKILL_CONCENTRATION, change the structure of armor/weapons/magicprefix/suffix/treasureclassex.txt, or make the display of the synergy bonuses hardcoded to always appear even if set to 0.

Not that the 99% of the world who does have a life would care, mind you. :)
Nothing is impossible if you believe in it enough.

Median 2008 mod for Diablo II
<span style="color:gray">New skills, new AIs, new items, new challenges...
06.dec.2006: Median 2008 1.44
Quote:the closest to Jarulf's DI guide would have to be D-Dave's

*blush* Well, thank you, but I doubt my guide is realy compareable to jarulf's in depth technichal insights. I'd rather see it as a somewhat expanded and printable Arreat Summit. Anyway, thanks again for the compliment.

Quote:but I am not sure if any of them shall be updating them for 1.10; we can only wait and see, eh?

Tricky topic for two reasons:

1. I don't like the tendency Blizzard seems to have fallen for with 1.10. From what I see the game will be even more Item dependant then it was before.
Sure, Diablo is all about Items, thats what is pulling us all back in BUT balancing the game to be challenging with top-of-the line (aka uber) equipment ruins hell difficulty for "casual" players like me (casual being 10-15 h / week). Plus the Immunity system (as it is) mostly wiped out Variants (in contrast to D1 where every character had access [to some degree] to various damage types).
Finaly the random Boss attributes as they are now are sort of disturbing. (I would have loved Blizzard to come up with ready made Boss attributes for NM and Hell that realy made sense, were challenging but not near impossible for any class)

2. I am in my last year of university and sort of engaged in Exam-preparation.

These two points lead to one inevitable conclusion:
I may not like the patch, and I may not have all the time at hand i would like, but no matter what:

Yes, I will definitely update the Guide to 1.10 (prepare for lots of silly questions here in the process :P )

I feel a bit like it being my baby and I would hate to see it abandoned and outdated (which it currently is) for any longer then necessary.

P.S. guide's website is actualy d-dave.com (d-dave.de is a rerouted addy which for most users will be a lot slower)
I am not trying to post like a Wanker but my english has a pretty strong krautish influence.

Feel free to flame the content but give me some slack on spelling an grammar, thanks Smile

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BTW - You check you're e-mail? *poke poke* Go check! You trying to avoid me or something? ;) Oh, and I may have a lead on at least one problem. Gonna look into it tonight.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
...call on a modder. ;) They're the ones with their hands and teeth goring through the patches. Few know more about the changes than them. :)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Walkiry,May 15 2003, 05:01 AM Wrote:"One thing is for sure, this patch will piss *everyone* off."
I can't wait. :)

It's pretty impossible to piss me off with a patch; I usually nuke all of my characters and start completely fresh (even easier to do that now with the new ladder system, which I will play on not to compete, but just to be on a cleaner slate). I was disappointed by many things in LoD, such as the overpowerful uniques that I campaigned against with Blizzard (the rare system was SO much better). But there were so many good things, too. It'll be the same with 1.10: I won't agree with everything, but there's going to be SO many new goodies - including some not yet revealed - that I'll be happily addicted anew.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(No/Tongue)
It has a lot to do with how you present yourself to a group.

Getting into arguments, however small, is not the best way to dive into a community.

In a perfect world Message Boards would not have arguments, just discussions.

I think you'll find that LL is as close to perfect in that regard as you'll get, Frag.

Cheers
Airegin,May 15 2003, 11:38 PM Wrote:I think you'll find that LL is as close to perfect in that regard as you'll get,&nbsp; Frag.
Hmm... I beg to differ. :) (It isn't as bad as some places, but there could be some improvment).
I've seen forums that are very hostile to newcomers. Some of the veterans with their 3543659 posts think they are some kind of deity to be worshipped. *Cough* Battle.net forums.* Now, of course, "Forum Veteran" isnt really something you'd really want on your resume is it?

But i think people like you should have little to fear. :)

* I don't really mean to rag on the b.net forums but there are too many immature, dumb, and snoobish folks. Plus I heard someone say that cold damage is dealt over time. That was quite the breaking point :P
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote:It has a lot to do with how you present yourself to a group.

Getting into arguments, however small, is not the best way to dive into a community.

Darn, I should have seen this earlier! :ph34r: However, I think there's a diffrence between a argument and a flame war, no?

Yes, I have a tendency to dive into the controversial. I usually don't debut on "Guided or strafe?" threads.
Of course, this is why am I here right now. I'm not that into game mechanics, but I'm pretty intrested in strategy (no, d2 has no strategy, maybe tactics) and game balance issues. And I can start thought provoking threads on these subjects here instead of hearing how gaze-string-shaft- cruel dupe of eviscertation owns all :P
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
hmm....this forum isn't actually that bad....there's like 3 or so groups from what I can tell...

1 - (the administration and a large portion of older members) - seems really cool
2 - (a large chunk of people that actually signed onto the board within about 2-3 months of me...there are a few older members in here though) - seems to be a mixture of good people and really flame happy people... none of us seem to really have been accepted by the first group though (for the most part....there are a few who seem slightly accepted).
3 - (the trans-forum members) - people in multiple forums, most seem pretty cool, there is the occassional flame happy person, but 90% of the people seem pretty nice (I'm the only one I know of besides maybe Ruvanal (sp?) that's on Dii.net, LL, and AB)

the only one that seems to really be causing any turbulance seems to be group 2...of whose members I've seen assorted trolling/flaming on quite a few occassions (and these seem purposeful) - Ironically fragbait does not seem like one of these to me (he seems like one of the good people who's misunderstood instead of the flame happy people).

that's just my view of things...basically there is stagnation and isolation going on, but it's more of groups 1 and 3 trying not to mix with group 2 (thus isolating themselves from each other) - that's forcing the turbulance and mistrust/aggrivation.
Chaos < Logic > Order
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.
- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"
This forum has a looong history. Posts mostly break into 3 groups.

OT -(now the lounge) - sometimes gets ugly, sometimes gets a bit sappy.

Game theory/playstyle posts - these get ugly too.

Detail Posts - These is what made the lounge cool. People figuring out how the game works, effective tactics, and good/fun setups.

But being as the game hasnt changed in over a year, the only posts in the last group are when people answer questions.

I think your comments on grouping the posters are kind of silly - being as you dont even know who is old and who is new and who has contributed in the past.
Hail Ghostiger,

You can group all the posters here: it's been done in the past. You just have to go to http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html to see the potential groupings :D

I do think it's a little silly to say there's only a few mutli-fora crosses though. Perhaps it's just me, but it seems like about 1/4 of the regs here are also AB regs; some people here are also regs at Battle.net, diabloii.net, Phrozen Keep, Realms Beyond, etc... I'd say MOST people here post at other fora ;)
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Edit: Subject line was supposed to be "That link from the Netiquette Nazi..." But I forgot that previewing messes with the subject line....

I just had to, I was just looking at all those earlier, and here you go posting the link. :)

I mean you wrote the guide, how much closer to the description can you get. :)

(What, just cause I usually lurk doesn't mean I can't poke fun at regulars? I've been here longer than some of them, just not vocally) :D
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
$.02