1.10 is Pack rat hell
GenericKen,Jul 23 2003, 12:57 PM Wrote:You see War, all that stuff is too involved. Suddenly everybody and their mother will fill their mules with gems bags.
You'd have to be completely misinterpreting what I was talking about to have come up with that response. :huh: What I'm saying is it would not be impossible to add another equipment slot, exactly like the belt slot, that functions for gems like belts do for potions.

If you remove the item the gems fall to the ground. :P I fail to see why people would fill their mules full of gem bags. It would be like filling their mules full of belts. :blink:

But yeah, like I also said, I'd prefer to see some tinkering done to the stash. :P Forget all this 'bag for quest reward' nonsense.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
I wonder how many accounts would simply vanish off the realms due to inactivity if the stash were simply doubled.
Quote:Indeed I should mention that a friend of mine caused me to realize that you could potentially deliberately create xp corpses to enable you to level up in a future battle in order to trigger those unique jewel on-level-up effects [e.g. could leave corpses near Diablo before triggering him then "loot" the corpse(s) for a level up effect to roast him]. If a corpse only forms if you are not nude then a potion or other stackable might be a good choice for the looting (because you won't be naked when you loot and you want to disolve the corpse without needing a lot of inventory room open).

Is the jewel on level up effect where you get a jewel if you level up while killing Diablo?

After a little thought, I realized that the "level up effect" is the "XP recapture feature being toyed with.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela: Is the jewel on level up effect where you get a jewel if you level up while killing Diablo?

I expect that he's talking about the Rainbow Facet Unique Jewels, that have "100% Chance To Cast Level x Nasty Spell When You Level-Up". There are other ways to get that effect, Hand of Justice Runeword has a Level 36 Blaze on Level-up.

The idea is to time you Level-up to a place of your choosing. Basically, running in to the Chaos Sanctuary, and letting the normal monsters kill you near Diablo's pad. Then, re-equip you character, kill off the critters in the Sanctuary. Run around the other areas to kill whatever else is necessary to get close to leveling, then go back to the Chaos Sanctuary. Trigger the last seal, and wait by your corpse for Diablo to show up. Hope that Diablo isn't immune to the Level-up effect you have equipped. :)

It seems like a lot more work than anyone would bother to go through. The "reward" would be a POSSIBLY quick kill on Diablo, but the time to set it up would probably be a lot more than the time to kill Diablo normally.

-rcv-
Ace 777,Jul 22 2003, 07:35 AM Wrote:After running out of stash very quickly, I realized that Diablo and Diablo II are basically games based on decisions.
You are challenged with deciding on how to allocate your Skill points
You are challenged with deciding on how to allocate your Stat points.
...and you are challenged with deciding on which items to keep, and which items get cashed in for gold.

Kudos to Blizzard for giving us more choices, especially more difficult choices, with 1.10.
Well for S.P. I would say that the current limited stash forces short term decisions in terms of equipment.... save sigons armor in hope of getting the rest of the set at the opportunity cost of 6 slots of runes/gems?

I will never complete a set in legit S.P. My only hope is online through muling. And now even that is tough, since items don't hang around for long, and at non-North American hours there aren't many basin members around to help hold stuff.

Rather than larger stash how about when you open a stash you get displayed the icons of your other characters (like when party members are displayed), and you can drag-drop items to them that wthey will accept if they have room in their own stash/inventory?

--Edit Good grief, why don't I use preview?
Hi,

Rather than larger stash how about when you open a stash you get displayed the icons of your other characters (like when party members are displayed), and you can drag-drop items to them that wthey will accept if they have room in their own stash/inventory?

Isn't this like unlimited muling? And wasn't that part of what Buzzard was trying to eliminate?

Personally, I'd love to see the infamous Guild Hall implemented and at a price that a hell level character could reasonably expect to acquire. Or an unlimited stash, at least for small items (rings, amulets, jewels, gems, runes).

Yeah, I can live with the inadequate storage in D2 and I can live with the evaporating items. But the need for storage being greater than the available storage just adds another level of frustration, IMO.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I'd be willing to cash in that massive amount of gold that accumulates in my stash for a few extra squares of space.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Hi,

If I understand correctly, the non-hardcore first corpse saves across games rule for v1.10, with additional corpses still lootable. So it seems possible to use an artificial corpse as long term storage (with as much as 51 slots worth of equiped stuff, right?).

Yes, multiple corpses can be generated. They probably do follow you from game to game, didn't test that. However, they aren't useful for storage. You don't have 51 slots (actually, I think that would be 40 in inventory, 4 minimum on belt, and 12 equipment slots for a total of 56). What you really have is the 12 equipment slots, since that is all that stays with your body. The stuff in inventory and on your belt goes with your "resurrected" character. So you could store as much as those 12 items per corpse, but that is hardly worth the effort.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

51 slots or squares.

6 armor

6 shield
6 weapon
(Or 16 for two big two handed swords on a barbarian dual wielding swords)
4 helm
2 belt
4 boots
4 gloves
3 jewelry
16 for post in the belt

I think that adds up to 51. :)

that is what is on your non your retrievable body.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Total corpse slots:
Hat=4
Shirt=6
Belt=2
Amulet=1
Rings=2
Hands=28 or 32 for Barbarian (Dual-weilding 2x4 in both weapon slots, or 2x4 Shield)
Gloves=4
Boots=4
Edit: removed potions

Total=51, for Barbarian=55

Edit: Sheesh, I forgot the Gloves & Boots...
Edit 2: I don't know what I was thinking about the potions, er, would you believe that I never die?
Occhidiangela,Jul 25 2003, 12:14 AM Wrote:[...]
(Or 16 for two big two handed swords on a barbarian dual wielding swords)
[...]
16 for post in the belt

I think that adds up to 51. :)
Well, I hadn't considered a bard dual-wielding two 8 slot swords so that would make 55 max on-corpse storage. Here's how I broke down the storage, in terms of max 1x1 units not-used up in stash...

head: 4 (2x2)
neck, fingers: 3 (3 1x1)
hands: 4 (2x2)
feet: 4 (2x2)
waist: 2 (2x1) (but not counting belt contents, which don't stay on the corspe)
[edit: channel1 poijnts out 4 potions stay on the corpse, and if these are full rejuvs I suppose we should count them as useful,
but I'm not counting them here]
body: 6 (2x3)
left hand: 6 (2x3) *** I should have considered barbarian
right hand: 8 (2x4) (long shield)
weapon switch: 6 + 8 (left + right)

for a total on 4 3 4 4 2 6 6 8 6 8 = 51 1x1 units that would otherwise need stash space.

That's just seat of the pants, and, as noted, wrong as a max for the barbarian.

As I noted before, if you want to keep a corpse-recovery set of equipment without having to use stash space, this might be practical if you're happy with the new way you can have multiple temporary corpses. The downside would be that, having cleared your way back to your corpse, you probably won't have room to loot it in your inventory. The upside is that you don't typically have mules, at least in v1.10 non-rushing, that are allowed to come into nm/hell to hand you recovery equipment so having your own body handy might be more practical than expecting a friend to show up to help.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
No pots whatsoever stay on the corpse. They all go in the inv, fall off, or remain in the default 4 belt slots.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
Quote:Rather than larger stash how about when you open a stash you get displayed the icons of your other characters (like when party members are displayed), and you can drag-drop items to them that wthey will accept if they have room in their own stash/inventory?

Actually, wouldn't you be limited to the eight characters within the account? I envision you would start the game indoors (act1 - a tent, act II - some building in Lut, Act III - a hut at Kurast Docks, Act IV - some strange other worldly space, and Act V - a building in Harrogath) any characters that have attained that position in the game would appear with you. This is a private space (your temporary quarters, maybe) where you can exchange equipment between your account characters without being interrupted by rude barbarians grunting "WUG?". I also think it might be cool to be able to switch account characters without having to exit the game. It will never happen as it is a very big change to the underlying game metaphor (ie. an account entering the game rather than just one character).

There should still be space management, but if your sorceress find's Arreat's Face she's going find a way to get it to her friend the barbarian.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Yes I meant characters from that account only. That would mean inf. stash for S.P. and no-loss muling within an account on realms. I have no idea what my sorc/assn/nec is supposed to do if I find a WF or whatever on the realms. Blizzard would have me sell it to Charsi???

We have no concept of 'clan' or 'guild' or 'family'. If Blizz does not want us to mule stuff then that is sad. I consider all of my chars as part of a family. If big brother finds an item useful to little (or large) sister then why not give it to her? It's just getting hard to have a family reunion :P

--Edit I'm getting worse, someone shoot me please.
whyBish,Jul 25 2003, 06:48 AM Wrote:I have no idea what my sorc/assn/nec is supposed to do if I find a WF or whatever on the realms.  Blizzard would have me sell it to Charsi???
Whybish it's not that bad

If you found something like that you could simply check your friends list and if no one was there stop playing that character and play a different one

When someone eventually appeared then you could ask them to hold it as you mule, which is probably the best way to transfer something even now

I'd suggest that there are the following categories:

1) Godly items worth stopping the game for. You simply don't let these ever hit the ground nor do you play on in Hardcore with one in your stash unless you accept the risk

2) Pretty decent items well worth saving. Next time a mule game comes up, ask someone to hold it

3) Stuff that is useful but isn't quite good enough to ask someone to hold it. Gems, medium runes and so on. Mule this stuff a bit at a time. In 1.09 we would have emptied it out then gone to get mules. Now I imagine we'd drop the gems, get the gem mule, get the playing character again, drop the runes, get the rune mule etc

4) Stuff that was pretty marginal and you were only keeping because you were a pack rat - don't bother

Not all that different except for more caution with the good stuff and a little more tedium with the mid-level stuff. If we become more discerning then that should balance out

Now I don't like this change either but it's hardly a crisis