diablo walks the earth
Yummy yummy yummy, Just fought diablo in cold plains :D

Was doing mf runs, and in a game the sojs being sold to merchants stacked up, ending in "diablo walks the earth", or something along those lines. Got a few mates to help me, it took 4 of us, all with chars ranging from 90-99. It took us ten minutes, about 8 when we found him where a super uni monster should of been, in cold plains. As I had created game, the charm was mine, and so we're all trying to find the fella again.

Just had to tell you all, sooo nice :)

Ah well, anyone else found him?

Kier
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
Enquiring minds
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Last night (and early this morning) I deliberately went after the clone.

I did this because someone on a Diablo forum had said how disappointed she was with how easy the clone was, going toe-to-toe with it and only using 3 pots. So I tried it with my highest level zon, CLevel 74, but with a low-level equipment setup since the really good stuff was on characters going through Nightmare.
Well, okay, I don't even have any really good stuff :)

The first 4 hours was spent hanging in game waiting for it to show up. I THINK you need to see 100 SoJs Sold while you are in a game. I went in with the first message saying 446 sold, and it spawned after the 540 sold message.

When it did spawn, I was in for a surprise. My level 74 Act 2 merc with partial Hwannin's set didn't stand a chance. At level 6, my Valk was dying faster than I could cast it. And I was blowing through pots too fast to even think about standing my ground and letting him have it.

With my merc in the battle I was able to get his life down a sliver. I had blown through a ton of gold, though, between resurrecting my merc and the death penalty from the occasional, unexpected one-hit-kill. Without the merc, I couldn't scratch him.

I used up the 20 points I had saved up in attributes to bump my Dex and Vit, and dropped the 12 Skill points I had saved up into the Valk. Still now joy.

I muled over the best equipment that my only other Hell difficulty character, and still no go.

I couldn't just task-swap out of the game to check online for help, because D2 really doesn't like task-swapping in-game on my 'puter. It gives the occasional total lock-up.

So, I got a machine on the workbench hung together enough to go online with it. Problem was, I couldn't get logged on the Lurker Lounge. I guess I must have used a really good password, and I don't share the drive on this machine that holds my password list. I wasn't about to create a spam account. I checked the LurkerLounge channel on IRC, but by then it was late enough that most of the USEast players had already packed it in for the night.

I went on the Amazon Basin, which I rarely frequent. They're using some silly application to manage games, and it doesn't work for me. As a last resort, I posted a request for help in their Meeting Place forum. From the read-count, it didn't look like hardly anyone even bothered to look at it until this morning.

There was only one, last thing to try. I went on the regular public BattleNet channels and asked for help.

Of course, that is much like a wounded seal asking for help from a killer whale.

In no time I was joined by a level 78 sorceress. We went to where I had the clone parked, she spammed some frozen orbs, and ran like a scared cat. No offense to cats intended.

My Pubby helper said he'd be back, and swapped to a level 90 Amazon. Between the two of us, plus a few more deaths apiece, and several trips for more pots, we finally killed the clone after about a half-hour.

Of course, the Pubby made sure to stay close to the clone as it's life was just about done, and grabbed the unique charm as soon as it dropped. No more than I expected.

I would make a few suggestions, for anyone looking to try this.

#1: Get a reliable team together beforehand. make sure that they will be available when the clone shows up. I had my character idle in the game for 4 hours waiting for it to happen. It LOOKS like it is triggered when there have been 100 SoJs sold WHILE YOU ARE IN THE GAME. The first notice I had was that 446 were sold, and the clone triggered after 540.

One person can hand out and wait for the clone. Once it's triggered, it will persist in the game- you can exit and come back with different characters and he is still there.

#2: Know which Super-Unique you want to be the clone. The first Super-Unique that has not been activated seems to be the one that becomes the clone. I had tried to set it up for the Den in Act 1, but since Corpsefire was already triggered, he didn't clone. I was in Cold Plains when it triggered, but had already killed Bishibosh. Rakanishu wound up being Clone-ified.

You can't really clear a battlefield very well beforehand, since if you activate the super-unique there he won't clone.

Although the clone has some attacks that can jump barriers (i.e. Fire Wall), I'm thinking that it would be worth a try for a range-attack charactrer to try it in the River of Flame with Hephasto is the clone sample.

Another odd idea would be to make Diablo himself the clone. You could open the seals in the Chaos Sanctuary, and leave one guy to kill for when the clone effect triggers.

#3: This ain't no cake-walk. The level 90 pubby who helped me would never have been able to solo it. Good players and decent equipment is necessary. I tried Goldstrike and a Burrito, and barely made a dent solo before I would need to move to avoid LBOD or some other killer attack. Titan's Revenge with Impale didn't help much, it might have had a chance if I had a decent shield with me, but with what I had I couldn't go toe-to-toe for very long.

Was it worth it? Not if you don't get the charm. :) The main reason I tried was because I wanted a bit of a break from working my new Ladder character (Level 16 / Act 2). I may try again, if I'm not planning on using this 'puter for a while. I expect that 4 hours waiting for the clone is at least as long as one will need to wait.

I suppose that a larger team could get charms for everyone in the team in one night, if they all created their own game, to get a set of games with clones in them. Then, everyone in the group starts going through killing clones, while one person keeps visiting the other games to keep them up.

-rcv-
channel1,Oct 30 2003, 04:23 PM Wrote:Another odd idea would be to make Diablo himself the clone.  You could open the seals in the Chaos Sanctuary, and leave one guy to kill for when the clone effect triggers.
I wonder if you'd get credit for killing the real Diablo in this instance.

Orbert
Liza Bow 83, Polgara Tri-Sorc 82, Jane Jav 81, Kathryne Sassy 79, Bellina Xbow 78
Alfredo AxeBarb 81, Bob Pal 80, Zachary Necro 78, Merrick Werewolf 78

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
I wonder if you'd get credit for killing the real Diablo in this instance.

I bet not. Probably try it this weekend.
I'm gonna try an Act 1 clone again, in the standard-format lurker game tonight (LLNX1, you know the password). I'm idleing in there now, but will be afk for a bit.

-rcv-
I had a question. Do you yourself sell all the sojs to the vendors or what? Because when I was in a 1.10 norm game, I suddenly recieved a message saying that 54 sojs had been sold to vendors and yet there was no one in town. Thanks.
Ultimate_Power,Oct 31 2003, 06:02 AM Wrote:Do you yourself sell all the sojs to the vendors or what?
I don't think so. When I saw that message for the first time, I went to the nearest vendor with a person nearby and saw no Stones. Also, I have never owned an SOJ, yet I saw the counter go up. Quickly.
<span style="color:red">Now lounging in the Amazon Basin.
According to Peter Hu (thirdhand, but sounds right), the number is across the entire Realm- Soft/hardcore, old/new Ladder.

I greatly doubt that most are actual SoJs, though. More likely another Blizz misdirection, like the Chat Gem only meaner :)

The first time, it took about 4 hours for me to get the Clone, and about 100 soJs showing as having sold from when I created the game.

So far tonight, I've been in game for almost 10 hours, only about 62 SoJs sinc the game was made, and no clone. I'm going to idle in the game until it does show up.

-rcv-
Not to poopoo too much in the cereal bowls, but regarding being in a game long enough for X Stones to be sold...dunno if I'm buying it :) The reason for my skepticism is because yesterday, I created a new/fresh game and IMMEDIATELY got the "Diablo Walks the Earth" message. Needless to say, I didn't complain :)
channel1,Oct 30 2003, 06:23 PM Wrote:Last night (and early this morning) I deliberately went after the clone.

I did this because someone on a Diablo forum had said how disappointed she was with how easy the clone was, going toe-to-toe with it and only using 3 pots.
I was the one who said I only used three pots. Purple ones. We also used four health potions.

The clone has not appeared for me tonight. I am kicking myself that diablo walked the world a second time in the original game and I didn't bother to go look for him. Sometimes you just can't keep a good monster down.

I still think the clone was easy, as have been many monsters. Andariel, Thresh Socket, Shenk, went down in a few frames. Thresh was a particular joy, as many a time has he slain my sorceress (who tonight turned 99). Baal was no more difficult than in 1.09. Lister was a pain, but Lister is always a pain for my poor paladin. Lister would not have been as difficult except that the stupid paladin went down the hot portal rather than the cold. Waste of more good potions.

What most surprized me (and my paladin) was being killed by Pindleskin. Pindle was extra fast, cursed, and fire enchanted -- but that should not have been so bad. A line of Milton comes to mind. I am proud of Breakspear though. He went down there naked and rescued his own corpse.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I Encountered the Clone yesterday. I was killing andariel in Hell and after about hundred ''xxx Soj's'' sold i got the message ''Diablo walks the earth'' and the screen rumbled. I Went to Dark wood and it was in the place of Treehead woodfist(right?). My char was lvl 78 Druid with 1.09 Aldurs set and a crappy shield. Atleast the set gave me 75 resistances(lighting about 50). I didnt stand a chance, i got about 10% of its life away and then i died or had to ran back to town to get some pots. I hacked it about 15 minutes before a friend of mine logged in. He was a lvl65 Barb. Together we managed to make a difference but still we had to give up after a 1000 deaths. Gotta try again at some point.
[Image: 1048873792431.jpeg]
And when he gets to Heaven
To Saint Peter he will tell:
One more Soldier reporting Sir -
I've served my time in Hell
channel1,Oct 31 2003, 04:57 AM Wrote:I greatlt doubt that most are actual SoJs, though.&nbsp; More likely another Blizz misdirection, like the Chat Gem only meaner :)
Naw, I tried the chat gem. Didn't do it.
Quote:I greatlt doubt that most are actual SoJs, though. More likely another Blizz misdirection, like the Chat Gem only meaner :)

Maybe it's just a Blizzard conspiracy. Selling a few Stones of Jordan triggers an alert at Blizzard headquarters to look for hacked stuff on your account. I mean, who would sell Stones of Jordan that they found? :D
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Is this mini-Gozilla invasion the only World Event? I would have thought there'd be more. Like Griswold suddenly popping up on the battlefield saying "Listen up, sonny Jim! I ate a baby!"
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Hi all.

I just finished soloing the clone with my 98 zon (woo me :D ) so I'd like to share some of my findings.

When I entered my private game, the soj count was at 520. The DC message came after 522. While I was fighting the clone the count increased to around 525.

I activated him in the cold plains, and was fortunate to have a health shrine and mana regeneration shrine nearby.

The best thing to do before you begin battle is to put on something with Prevent Monster Heal (ie: Hwanin's Belt). Without it you will be there forever because he regens too darn quickly.

With the belt I was able to quickly run into town to stock up on potions and arrows or run to a nearby shrine. Even after dying, I was able to take a wp and run to my corpse without DC regening. However, there was 1 time when I ran into town to restock and came back with DC's health at 3/4 after I had taken him down to 1/2 so I am not sure how long the Prevent Monster Heal lasts. I believe that before I want into town my Guided Arrows may have hit the nearby bone prison he raised. :(

I also recommend that you use FRW eq and some eq with mana regen. Max fire and lightning (I had both at 80%).

The merc and Valk are useless vs DC.

His favourite attack was the lightning attack, followed by the ground inferno. He always casts his meteor spell when it drops. He rarely used the firewall or expanding fire circle attack. He also ran away a few times so keep on him so he can't regen.

I think that's it.

As for the charm, mine was +1 all skills/+17 all attrib./+19 resist all/+6% EXP gain.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Kartoffelsalat,Oct 31 2003, 04:30 PM Wrote:Maybe it's just a Blizzard conspiracy.&nbsp; Selling a few Stones of Jordan triggers an alert at Blizzard headquarters to look for hacked stuff on your account.&nbsp; I mean, who would sell Stones of Jordan that they found?&nbsp; :D
Seriously, wasn't there an interview with Bill Roper in which he said in reference to annihilus that initially they were going to prime the pump? This leads me to believe that sooner or later the clone will be spawned less often and have greater difficulty. Hopefully not until after all my heroes have one.

Two and counting.
firstly, diablo walking the earth i am pretty sure isn't realm. When i was mfing 2 differant groups of mates were in games hoping he would come, and no joy for them. The number of sojs sold is linked to diablo spawning, maybe the number is the % chance? ie: the higher the number the greater chance he will spawn. The fact is he spawned at a low number after very little time. I had killed pindle, shenk and had just killed meph (about to leave game) when he spawned. Bearing in mind i was using a frenzy tank, it was pretty quick, i dont bother killing much, jumping or wwing through crouds. Ah well, interesting to see what these statistical diablo masterminds will figure out. Maybe us lurkers can keep a log of what number diablo spawned on?

just an idea,

Kier
What is this life if, full of care

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
I'll chime in with my experience with the Diablo Clone. :D

First Stone of Jordan message (in game): 850 Stones of Jordan Sold to Merchants
Last Stone of Jordan message (before World Event): 878 Stones of Jordan Sold to Merchants
Character:
FenrisWulfPack, clvl 85 Hunter (Druid) :D
Strategy:
Allow Grizzly to tank, let self and Merc take potshots. Luckily, I generally carry a decent amount of poison on my Hunter, so that stopped DC's regeneration fairly well (I also sent out my Poison Creeper after a bit). As long as I cast my Grizzly to the opposite side of DC, and kept my Cyclone Armor refreshed while he was doing his Fire Nova, I was in no danger at all; certainly didn't die at all. All in all, it took around 10 minutes, and 4 full quivers of Arrows to do him in. In closing, I love my Grizzly; he tanked DC like a champ, and only had to be resummoned around 6-7 times. My mercenary also never died.
Annihilus stats:
+1 to All Skills
+20 to All Attributes
All Resistances +16
+5% to Experience Gained

:D :D :D
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
Kartoffelsalat,Oct 31 2003, 09:30 PM Wrote:Maybe it's just a Blizzard conspiracy.&nbsp; Selling a few Stones of Jordan triggers an alert at Blizzard headquarters to look for hacked stuff on your account.&nbsp; I mean, who would sell Stones of Jordan that they found?&nbsp; :D
I can confirm that when you sell a SoJ, it does increase the count by one. Curiosity took the best of me (damn you Kartoffelsalat :P :lol:), and I sold one of my very own, precious and priceless gambled-in-1.01-classic SoJs (could have been 1.02 or more, I don't really remember it :D). Much as I expected, I wasn't offered the ring back in the vendor screen :lol:

I think I'm going to set camp with my Vidala Acolyte and wait for the clone. The jewels in my bow and helmet have disappeared (they were both plain +damage ones, +24 and +27, I never though those things would be duped given the low demand for them and that I traded them in dii.net's :blink:, whereas my rare +16 max damage/30%ed/30% lightning res. is alive and kicking) so I'm in a bit of a pinch to make good damage (well, that and using Vidala's set too :D).
I wonder if the SOJ'S SOLD TO MERCHANTS now has something to do with the Chat Gem? If someone has a packet sniffer that works in chat, they could test this. I honestly wonder rather blizzard would stoop so low as to reward cheaters (those who have saved up 1,000's of SOJ's) with a Diablo Clone, or I guess maybe they figure that since everyone gets to fight the clone when 'x' amount of SOJ's are sold, it's okay.

"To use the money bought with blood is the same as killing the person." - Unknown
"Once a cheater, always a cheater." - Unknown

I find it morally deplorable to use SOJ's to spawn the clone and only hope that that is NOT how the clone is spawned, but only a ruse. I would really like to test the Chat Gem and see if that has anything to do with it now.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin