diablo walks the earth
Not any more. Guided no longer pierces.
@[wcip]Angel:
I would most likely attribute your problem to the Diablo Clone's incredible regeneration rate, paired with his 95% resistance to Physical Attacks. Get some Prevent Monster Heal, or perhaps some more poison. And try out Atma's Chance as an Amulet, for the chance to cast Amp. Let your Valkyrie tank for a bit; I know that my Grizzly was able to on my Hunter, so the Valk should manage even better (if leveled).
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
FenrisWulf, Nov 9 2003 Wrote:I would most likely attribute your problem to the Diablo Clone's incredible regeneration rate, paired with his 95% resistance to Physical Attacks.

Diablo Clone has only 50% physical resistance.
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
*cough* Sorry, thanks. :D Sheesh, you would think that they would at least keep things consistent. :P
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
Finally got my Annihilus charm! I made a game and was doing an Andarial run (she is much friendlier both in difficulty and drop wise than other act bosses) and I was getting the "soj sold to merchant" thing about every 3 minutes or so, so I decided to stay. Bschultz came and we played some. I tried going to some other acts and the "soj sold to merchant" stuff stopped so I figured go back to act one, and yep it started back up again (hmmmmmm....). After I had been in the game about an hour-hour and a half and about 37 sojs later instead of "soj sold" I get an earthquake and "diablo walks the earth".

I tried letting my merc take him down as he usually mauls act bosses with his hone sundan but I think crushing blow may only be able to take uber diablo down to 50% life. Also prevent monster heal does not work on mercs (or mine at least) so the blackhorns he wears wasn't helping. The solution? I gave him my lore helm and took his blackhorns. For magic find I wear angelic wings+mantle+halos so even as a necro I had over 30% chance to hit him, so I walked up with my fearsome +3 bone skills wand and *smack* no more heal. :D After that it was just a game of plant the golem, decrepify, and spam bone spirit. :):):):D:D:D:D

I now have +1 more skills, +10 stats, +11 all resistances and get 9% more experience. I got the low end of resists and stats but at level 86 I really cared about the exp gain the most anyway. B)
Hello everyone,

First off, I'd like to introduce myself as a new member to these forums. Though I've been here often, I hadn't joined 'til now because I felt I didn't have anything of substance to add to the discussions. But I felt compelled to add to this discussion because of my success at being a 'Diablo Clone hunter'.

As DSTheHermit mentioned, I believe the Hammerdin is likely the most successful clone killer. I myself have (or should I say, had, before I lost my account to theft) a lvl 93 hammerdin named St_Istvan on US East. Three times now, I've killed the Clone with no difficulty. Twice, the charm was grabbed by others but the third time, I was solo in a game and acquired the charm for myself. It's a 19/17/10.

What I feel is key to his defeat are both resistances and absorb. I have 90 resist all plus I wear T-God and Dwarf Star. Hammer damage is 9200+ and time taken to kill the Clone was approximately 1 to 2 minutes.

The resistances are achieved with the use of Guardian Angel, Wizardspike and UM'd Herald of Zakarum shield. And I believe that DSTheHermit is correct when he mentions that being in close proximity to the clone (as is also the case with Diablo) seems to negate the effect of his attacks.

I'll mention my characters stats and equipment for the benefit of Dyntheos who asked about the build.

Skills:

20 to BH and each of the synergies
~8 to Holy Shield - enough to maintain 75% block
1 to Redemption
1 to Fanaticism and 1 to Conviction (for times when partied with another hammerdin to assist either melee chars or elemental attackers. Choice of aura depends on party make-up)

Stats:

170 strength - enables me to wear GA as a Hellforge plate
125 dex - together with Holy Shield gives 75% block
0 Energy - mana needs taken care of through equipment
Vitality - all the rest (don't recall the number but have approx 1300 life)

Equipment:

Guardian Angel Hellforge Plate
Shako
Wizardspike
Magefist Battle Gauntlets
UM'd HoZ
Silkweave Boneweave boots
T-God belt
Ravenfrost
Dwarfstar
crafted +2 pally caster amulet
Call to Arms phase blade and Lidless Wall (on switch for BO and BC to give approx 1900 life)
5 combat charms
Annhilus charm
5 small FHR charms

Merc:

Holy Freeze
Delirium Demonhead
Duriel's Shell Great Hauberk
ethereal Reaper's Toll Thresher

You may note that a number of items have been upgraded. It appears that defence actually matters now, hence the reason for the upgrades. I still need to do the gloves once more as well as the belt and the shield. Last I checked, Baal had a 34% chance to hit me.

I'll also add that with the resistances and absorb gear, the much-feared Dark Souls in Worldstone levels pose little difficulty. This is due, in part, to the merc casting Decrep and Confuse. Important also, I don't stand in one place very long.

In closing, I'd like to mention that I find this forum a refreshing change from other forums in it's maturity of discussion, it's depth of anaysis and it's insistence of proper writing style.

Regards to all,

zarkano
Quote:Hammer damage is 9200+ and time taken to kill the Clone was approximately 1 to 2 minutes.

JESUS! :o

Do you really need anything more than 75 fireghtning resist vs DC with that kind of damage?

BTW: Anyone thought of a better name than Diablo Clone (definantly not the U word)?
How about DIABLO? :)
"U" word?? :huh:

Quote:Hammer damage is 9200+ and time taken to kill the Clone was approximately 1 to 2 minutes.

... More proof that hammerdins are a little too powerful. :P
i've killed him twice with my werewolf druid. solo. at the time i was using windhammer, with a fleshrender (prevents monster heal) and bverrit keep (socketed with ral) on my switch, and just swung away with fury. even with the 100+ LL from feral rage, life leech wont keep you alive. however, crushing blow definitely DOES work vs him, and it only took a few minutes for me to take him down, and this was at about L71 IIRC. Now, my druid is using IK Maul + other ik set pieces for the insane elemental dmg.... cant wait to encounter him again. You definitely need crushing blow if you're gonna go toe-to-toe with him, and a high dmg attack. my druid back then hit for about 2k-3.5k per hit. you'll also need tons of ar, 10k minimum.

also, some of you might've already known this, but there's an easier way to kill him - spawn him at eldrich, then lure him down to shenk and kill shenk. when shenk dies, everything around him dies as well, including uber diablo. i have a feeling blizz will serverside patch that sometime soon though, but last time i checked it still works.
Fougth him again yesterday. I was in a Hell game doing and andy run and after 2 sojs sold messages diablo came. I first tried to kill him with a friend of mine(llvl 75 amazon, i was a lvl 83 weredruid, using baranars star and aldurs set) but we didnt really stand a chance. Then i went to get some help from channel and a lvl ~80 necromancer joined. With his Amp. damage and Bone Spirit spamming DC's life really went down. After a while he died and shoot my dog and call me sally, i got the charm!!! :) Its 16/19/6.
[Image: 1048873792431.jpeg]
And when he gets to Heaven
To Saint Peter he will tell:
One more Soldier reporting Sir -
I've served my time in Hell
Odd,Nov 30 2003, 08:23 PM Wrote:also, some of you might've already known this, but there's an easier way to kill him - spawn him at eldrich, then lure him down to shenk and kill shenk. when shenk dies, everything around him dies as well, including uber diablo. i have a feeling blizz will serverside patch that sometime soon though, but last time i checked it still works.
Bug Alert! Bug Alert! :P

And ARGH! you used the U word! :P

I vote we call the clone Diabro(Engrish style. :P)

Forgot to add. Has it been determined with certainty that Blizzard is basically rewarding dupers? I haven't seen a "Soj sold to merchants" message in the last week or so. :angry: Not that I could kill him even if I did get him... :P
would not a bone necro be viable as well?

I never had the chance to go against him, but a bone necro has the advantage of a VERY powerful bone prison/wall of his own, and also deals a decent amount of magic damage (with affordable items you can gave a spirit doing 3k per shot; if you invest some time and money to make a WHITE runeword you can pull that off with spear, having your spirit reach 4k with a good base wand).

I really wish I could try this one out, I'd love to see my friend's 90% resall 95% lightning bone necro face him and see if the regen could be countered. When we play the game normally he never EVER dies of anything (and hardy dies in PVP). Using bone wall/prison proved VERY effective against nearly every monster in the game, including Diablo himself.
Quote:"U" word??

Uber Diablo, or Über if you like, the Blizzard (or GFrazier?) name. That just sounds so non-scary, so non-(prime)-evily. Diablo Clone (whose name was taken from the code entry for the monster, which sometimes isn't the one used in-game) on the other hand has a little better ring to it, but it's not very evil either.

He just deserves a better name than either of the two mentioned, with him purposedly being the hardest thing in the game. Ultima Online had a way of adding Lord to the name for really scary and challenging versions, but then the original one is that already. :unsure:
Quote:Ultima Online had a way of adding Lord to the name for really scary and challenging versions, but then the original one is that already.

easy then:

DIABLORD

:lol:

Greetings
Nuur
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
LOL... Catchy... try entering the name the Diablo Clone contest with that
I am MOTHMAN!!... ooooooh, pretty light... pretty,pretty light...*bang* *sizzle*...ow...
Awesome build there! I'll have to give a hammerdin a try sometime. However, I'm quite surprised that no one has mentioned the rival if not superior to the hammerdin in 1 on 1 boss combat. Little if anything kills faster 1 on 1 than a well equipped dTalon kickassassin. I can kill the Diablo Clone solo in well under 2 minutes. Maybe 1 minute.

The key is fast, accurate kicks, prevent monster heal, life tap, and a lot of crushing blow, open wounds, etc.

This is what I went for when designing my assassin as a clone killer, and so far, she has been godly.

Stats
Stength ~200
Dex ~150
Vitality Rest

Hit points ~1100
Mana ~230

Skills
Max dTalon
Max Lightning Sentry
Max Death Sentry
Max Shadow Master
1 Blade Fury
1 Mind Blast
1 Cloak of Shadows
5 Burst of Speed
1 Fade (not really necessary if you're committed to BoS, but I got it anyway)
1 Dragon Flight (I'll have that at level 90, currently level 88)

Mercenary
My assassin uses an act II offensive blessed aim mercenary for 30-31% increase in Blade Fury accuracy and 5-6% increase in dTalon accuracy. The act II defensive mercenary with holy freeze would probably be a good choice also, but my assassin prefers the stronger offense. With my assassin's Shadow Master, Cloak of Shadows, and Mind Blast, she really isn't that concerned with more defense. She often parties with others who already have the HF mercenary anyway. Regardless, mercenaries tend to die very fast with the Diablo Clone around :).

Equipment
Stormlash (weapon) (This weapon is godly. Tornadoes, Static Field, Lightning Damage. The 30% IAS on the Stormlash easily allows my assassin to hit 7/2 kickspeed with no IAS gear. She has a 7 BoS with items. Totally awesome. I'll probably socket Stormlash with a Mal rune for prevent monster heal, currently swaping Hwanin's Blessing belt for Ueber D.)

Guillaume's Face (helm) (hit recovery, crushing blow 35%, etc. What more does a dTalon assassin want? I'll probably socket it with a 15% resist jewel later.)

Metalgrid (amulet) (awesome attack rating bonus, armor bonus, and resists. For attack rating, this amulet is superior to Mara's Kaleidoscope. I have found +skills to be less important for my playstyle, but the Mara's is still really nice. I just prefer Metalgrid for the attack, armor bonuses. The iron golem is fun to summon every now and then as well, though he usually doesn't last long. I haven't experimented with the Iron Maiden charges yet, since my assassin uses Life Tap vigorously.)

Dracul's Grasp (gloves) (THE gloves to have. The open wounds and life tap are priceless. I solo Uber D easily with these gloves - very nice for keeping other party members and mercenaries alive with 50% life leech, even in hell difficulty Nice Blood crafted gloves would be ok. I just find Dracul's to be superior for my playstyle.)

Wilhelm's Pride (belt) (for the life, mana leech, 10 to cold resist, and for the +35 hit points for having 2 orphan's set items. String of Ears or Verdungo's would be ok for more DR, but since my assassin will eventually have shaftstop and stormshield, SoE or Verdungo's would not be as useful.)

Shaftstop (armor) (30% DR, bonus hit points, and bonus defense vs. missiles. Medium armor, so it doesn't slow an assassin down much (-5% RW for medium armor). I'll probably socket this with a 15% resist jewel later.

Two 4 Diamond Monarch (shields) (light shield, no reduction in RW speed, 76% to all resists. This puts my assassin at 75% in all resists and 47% block. Later I will swap this with Stormshield to max out DR (50%) and to increase block to 72%, and will put an UM rune in it. With the 2 15% resist jewels and the UM in SS, that should put my assassin back to 75% resist max. That's the master plan anyway )

Elite Upgraded Gore Rider (boots) (there is no better boots for a dTalon kickassassin. OW and Crushing Blow are priceless )

Raven Frost (ring) (+248 AR, +20 Dex, cannot be frozen, etc. Very nice and essential for my assassin's build)

Rare Leech, prismatic, AR (ring) (Trying to find dual leech with similar properties)

Gimmershred (Flying axe for alternate weapon. The elemental damage is awesome vs. physical and lightning immunes. Nice to Blade Fury with as well.)

Life Tap Tomb Wand with charges (Level 5 Life Tap, 97 charges). (I keep this handy in the event I want my assassin to life tap immediately - like vs. an uber boss or pack.)

In Summary, this character should have the following:
83% Crushing Blow
35% Open Wounds
7/2 Kickspeed w/dTalon
Some Hit Recovery
70-80+ Run/Walk Speed
75% Resists
30-50% Damage Reduction (50% if SS is used)
47-72% Block (72% if SS is used)
Huge leech with life tap, decent life leech otherwise. 20+% with Dracul's, Wilhelm's, and Rare Ring
Sufficient mana leech
And an awesome attack rating (10-16K+ dTalon, 1-7K Blade Fury)

Well, that's about it. Sorry for the long winded post. I've been playtesting and researching this type of assassin for quite a while now, and I feel this is about as good as it gets. Just make sure you use Cloak of Shadows, your Shadow Master, your Mercenary, lots of Death Sentries, lots of Kicks, and Blade Fury vs. nasty bosses that you don't want to get too close to. Let the ancillary effects of Life Tap, Tornadoes, Static Field, Lightning Damage, Crushing Blow, and Open Wounds do the rest.

- Leurocian
So has anyone actually figured out what causes him to spawn (other than the initial soj counter going up requirement)?

From my experiences so far, I believe there must be at least 2 people in the game or he won't spawn.

There has to be a way to figure out what really triggers him! Of course they'd probably fix/change/break it as soon as someone discovered it. :ph34r:
He will spawn with only one player in the game. I was alone and in act 2 when I got the message.

Too bad my level 79 skellymaster couldn't take him out. He died several times, and after about 30 minutes, I gave up. If I would have known that he always drops that charm, I would not have given up so easily!!!
Broham,Dec 15 2003, 01:47 AM Wrote:He will spawn with only one player in the game. I was alone and in act 2 when I got the message.

Too bad my level 79 skellymaster couldn't take him out. He died several times, and after about 30 minutes, I gave up.  If I would have known that he always drops that charm, I would not have given up so easily!!!
He doesn't always drop annihlus. It's the only thing he can drop, and he drops it most of the time, but not every time.
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu