What's so hot about Enchant
I've seen several references to Enchant being powerful in the new patch but haven't been able to see any posts that explain it's power well (and how to utilize it).

Can someone fill me in please?
I have a sorceress who uses enchant. At level 35 in 1.10 it adds about 8000 fire damage to her weapon, according to the character screen. The skill tab shows the damage as 1855-2206, which is about what happens when she enchants another melee character. The skill tab also shows an AR bonus of +326%. The duration is 960 seconds. Hirelings and minions (valks, skeletons, pets, etc.) can be enchanted also.

To use the spell, cast enchant on yourself and all your friends, then go out and hit things. Repeat 960 seconds later. Even sorceresses can hit things when they have 10,000 AR.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I guess I'm still not used to playing LoD, because people keep making references to getting equipment easily that give them +10-15 on their favorite skills, and I'm at a loss on how everybody does it. Maybe I can get some pointers here. I'm serious. Obviously, on the Enchant thing, you can buy a 2-socket +3 Enchant staff from the Act II shop and use the 'Leaf' runeword. That'd give +6 to Enchant and +3 on fire mastery. 'Lore' can be made easily or a +1 all sorceress skills circlet can be gambled. I guess perhaps if you're just focusing on only one tree, you could spend a lot of time gambling and get a +3 fire skills circlet. Then, maybe you could gamble a +1 all sorc skills amulet. So, that's +10 Enchant and +7 fire mastery with equipment that with enough gambling and patience one could obtain. How is everybody getting more skills than that and at the same time doing things like keeping their resistances, life, blocking, and other equipment needs met? Specifically, how could a hardcore ladder player do it? I'm not talking about the dupe-fest that is normal softcore. I'm wondering how a player who only uses legitimate equipment could get all these +skills that people talk about.
Quote:Specifically, how could a hardcore ladder player do it?
You couldn't. People running around with huge +skills are either not playing ladder and twinking to the gills, or playing ladder characters that they've done nothing with but farm for itamz.
Quote:You couldn't. People running around with huge +skills are either not playing ladder and twinking to the gills, or playing ladder characters that they've done nothing with but farm for itamz.

As I play in ladder HC games, I can attest to this as ~right. The people who have +15 to skills are generally those that have a dedicated MF character as well as their 'playing' characters. Usually a high lvl sorc or barb(barb less in 1.10 I bet). Then they twink all this gear onto their up and coming PvP, or PvM character. The ladder has already gone on long enough for many dedicated players to MF full sets of gear for their characters.

My elementalist druid in hell act2 has only +1 elemental skills. He has been played only with what he could find or gamble(the gambling has been very unlucky). It *is* possible though to get a pretty good set of +skills gear with just a little time invested though:

My necro:
+3 SM, +2 RS head
+1 all Lore helm
+3 RS, +3 SM wand
+2 summoning skills ammy
+1 summoning skills charm
+1 all spirit shroud( I usually don't use this though, I need my resists armor)

That gives me a total of +2 all, +3 summoning skills, and +6 SM, +5 RS.

lvl 31 SM, lvl 30 RS all by the end of NM. He is a harcore ladder necro who has found or bought every thing he uses. He spent alot of time in act1 to find the head, and more time in act1 buying the wand. Of course, necros are a little easier than other class to get skill bonuses(the head counts for a lot). All he's really looking for is to find/cube a shael to finish his crescent moon for the merc, and off to hell.

In other words, I think in HC ladder you will need either a substantial MF investment, or spend a *very* long time playing the same char looking for optimal gear in the appropriate places. That is, if you want +15 to a skill. It is certainly possible to play without that much, and I think that that necro of mine has the highest skill lvls I've ever had on a character(I don't MF).
it works on necro minions => OUCH!!!

sou you want to tell me that every nekro minion makes 2000 firedamage after that spell?? thats kinda insane! not to mention with lower resits
You could, at least with regard to necro summons which is one of the easiest trees to raise

Buy a +3 wand, gamble a +3 circlet and a +3 ammy, a lucky drop or a lot of recubing should get you a +3 head

That's +12

There are a few +1 armours and trang's which is +2

There are a few odd uniques - rings, a belt, a pair of boots which you might be lucky enough to find or trade for

Plough all your gems from then on into charms for plus skills

But what really makes it possible is trading. You find a lot of stuff in Hell, you probably could get people to part with a +1 summons charm for an elite unique

(I've found a +1 armour and 2 elite uniques in the first week. I haven't gambled an ammy or circlet although I've spent 4 million trying as well as recubing all the blue rings that drop)

Having said all that, I'm using armour and shield slots for resists rather than skills

Enchant is basically +6 Leaf, +3 ammy +3 circlet for a fairly do-able +12
Take a read through the etiquette for this forum (link is near the top, next to the rules and FAQ's -- which you might want to read through, as well). If you move quickly, you may even avoid a slow roast by a sarcastic mob. But I doubt it.

"Here's a nickle, go rent a clue." :D

gekko

edit: Thanks, adamantine, forgot that most new users have never heard of threaded view. Paxinor, that was directed squarely at you. Do yourself a favour and read the etiquette *before* you reply to this. The last new user to get the "go rent a clue" bit (not mine, btw, but it sums it up nicely :)) responded in a very poor way. We welcome new users here, but we expect a little more than your initial post showed.
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
Gekko: Since he doesn't have much of a clue, it'd help if you mention who you're replying to.
MongoJerry,Nov 7 2003, 07:57 AM Wrote:I guess I'm still not used to playing LoD, because people keep making references to getting equipment easily that give them +10-15 on their favorite skills, and I'm at a loss on how everybody does it.  Maybe I can get some pointers here.  I'm serious.
Magefist
Volcanic Amulet
Volcanic Circlet
Visceratuant
Arch-Angel's orb with +3 to Enchant
Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
Annihilus

Note that is not the stuff she plays with, that is just for the enchant. I could fairly easily get it up to 37. Unfortunatley I have never found any other charm that gives a plus to fire skills. Except for the last two items this setup should be doable no-twink.
Sorry, but... that's just ridiculous. We're talking no-twink here, and I guess to me, no-twink means no-farming. Even if you traded with other ladder characters, you'd have to farm like crazy to get the items to trade with that stuff.
ok im very sorry i havent known that you are using a threaded view..

anyway i apologize too that my post was acutally spam, i usually dont spam but i had one of my mindless moments which everyone has from time to time...

because its written in the etiquette i also interdroduce myself as a new one and i hope the quality of my other posts are more satisfying for you and the anger of everyone because of my mistake is gone in one or two month :D

just a little point maybe i have to say: you could maybe say that a little bit nicer althoug im sure you've made some bad experiences in the past because people usally might not like such a "welcome"

anyway i personaly like those strict rules and i try to obey them in future

have a nice day

Pax
Paxinor,

Here's a hearty welcome. I am glad that you were not driven off by the reaction to your post. Many here hold the rules very dearly, almost too dearly.

CHEERS@@@!!!

PS. I won't make a big issue of it, but capitalizing at appropriate points will further enhance your effect on the readership. I know that some people do NOT enjoy typing (I sometimes get painful cramps), so I, for one, will give a measure of understanding.
First off, don't take my apparent hostility/crabbiness/etc personally -- as you said yourself, we get some... interesting... characters here. In addition, many members here had an even rockier start than you have -- while some deal with it poorly, hurling insults and almost forcing the admins to step in and ban them, others, such as yourself, deal with constructive ctriticism by adjusting and have gone on to become respected and well-liked members. You've taken a step in the right direction; many here will be happy to help you continue down that path.

Your attitude speaks well for itself; I have no doubts you will fit in very well here. As was already mentioned, capitalizing will do wonders for the legibility of your posts. Frankly, if you took your last post and added the proper capilization, I'd have absolutely no complaints.

Welcome to the lounge, glad to have you here.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
Omni,Nov 7 2003, 04:53 PM Wrote:Sorry, but... that's just ridiculous. We're talking no-twink here, and I guess to me, no-twink means no-farming. Even if you traded with other ladder characters, you'd have to farm like crazy to get the items to trade with that stuff.
Perhaps our disagreement has to do with the definition of twink. When my level 99 mf sorceress gives something she found in act 5 hell to a level 14 character, I call that twinking. If a level 14 hero spends hours collecting cracked sashes and shopping for the perfect staff, I would not call that twinking.

If the same level 14 hero trades a dozen or so hard earned chips to her older sister for some bright shiny new ring, would you call that twinking?

If an enchantress can't find equipment on her own to grant at least plus ten to enchant by the time she has put twenty points in enchant, warmth, and fire mastery, I think she should apply for a job as NPC.

By the way, the 3 rings --> amulet recipe is an easy way to get plus to skills. Most players I've seen do not even pick up blue rings or amulets.

Edit: ...or orbs, for that matter.
LavCat,Nov 7 2003, 11:44 PM Wrote:If the same level 14 hero trades a dozen or so hard earned chips to her older sister for some bright shiny new ring, would you call that twinking?
Yes, that is twinking. Whether or not it's "cheesy" or "cheating" is open to debate; however, if the character is given or trades for an item he/she did not find in game, it is twinking.

Is that any different (or 'better') from spending hours selling armor and gems and gambling for that perfect tiara? No, not really. But the latter is not twinking; the former is.

This is why twinking is not in itself inherently "cheating" or even "cheesy" -- there are many perfectly "legal" ways to get better gear for your character that are at least as cheesy.

gekko
Stylishly done, Paxinor, I think you'll like it here :)
gekko,Nov 8 2003, 08:18 PM Wrote:Yes, that is twinking.  Whether or not it's "cheesy" or "cheating" is open to debate; however, if the character is given or trades for an item he/she did not find in game, it is twinking.
I would agree.

Also, Paxinor, let me add to Brista's welcome.
Twinking sounds so bad, people have started to use it for too many things.

But then again I think the same about mule/muling, but that could be just me. :(

I mean is giving 10 chipped gems or Death's Sash from a level 10 to a level 99 twinking? That just sounds silly to me. <_<
Quote:gekko:
If the character is given or trades for an item he/she did not find in game, it is twinking.

No! That the items usually come from someplace else is incidental for, indeed, you can twink characters with items found in that very game. Twinking is giving a character an item that is beyond that character's means, whether it be through "trade" or otherwise.

The problem with twinking is the power rift created by the gift-giving. A clvl 6 running around Act 1 in Sigon equipment is obviously going to disrupt the normal gaming environment of standard Act 1 characters. However, a clvl 6 running around with a Cracked Sash found in Hell Diff by a clvl 90 isn't going to cause a problem because all Act 1 characters have Sashes available to them.

Twinking is the sole reason we have idiotic clvl requirements: it's Blizzard's attempt to prevent game imbalance caused by people passing overpowered gear to lower characters. (Why clvl requirements are idiotic is a different matter.)

So, LavCat's example: If the same level 14 hero trades a dozen or so hard earned chips to her older sister for some bright shiny new ring, would you call that twinking?

Ignoring that "hard earned chips" is so absurd it makes me belly laugh, the answer depends on whether the item traded-for is beyond the clvl 14's means.

Some may say to be "twinked" the gift must also cause imbalance. I prefer that distinction, myself. If a character's gifts are causing a problem balance-wise, "twinked" is a perfectly negative-sounding description. If the gifts aren't, I probably won't even notice the character has them and there's no reason to label the character at all.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]