Open Wounds
Anyone been looking at Open Wounds? I just found a post on bnet forums where I had to check and made the following post (more or less).

From the look of it, the ammount of damage done by OW increases quite a bit with your level. I can be wrong, but it also seems like they increased the duration from 4 to 8 seconds but not fully sure. The damage formula (per second) seems to be among the lines of:

level 1-15: 25*(9*clvl+31)/256
level 16-30: 25*(18*clvl-104)/256
level 31-45: 25*(27*clvl-374)/256
level 46-60: 25*(36*clvl-779)/256
level 61+: 25*(45*clvl-1319)/256

The ammount is further reduced by 1/4 versus players. I also think that it is reduced by 1/2 versus bosses and such (not sure about champions) but have to check further. If one can ever get OW on missiles (arrows), it would also be modified by 1/2. No idea if it exists though.

I really need to check up on that "boss" check to know what it really is testing, it pops up all over the code. Also, does there exist any OW on missile weapons?

Looking at the curse function (OW is handled like a curse really), I noted there is a new stat called curse resistance. Does any monster have it? Is it a new property in for example monstats.txt? Seems that the duration is cut by this percentage. Any information is appreciated. Finally, how does "attract" work and what is its effect on curses?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf:
Quote:If one can ever get OW on missiles (arrows), it would also be modified by 1/2. No idea if it exists though

I know of 2 unique torso armours which have this, many more uniques I suppose do, as well as the uber runewords.

I've had this on a Rogue (Toothrow, 40%) in 1.10 and I can confirm it at least works.

You stated arrows, does that mean crossbows don't get the special bow penalty on some things, only the thrown weapon one (or not even that?)?

So if I got it right, level 99 OW will do 306 damage per second, doesn't seem high?! Although for 8 seconds that's 2.4k, 408 damage versus players.

Quote:Looking at the curse function (OW is handled like a curse really), I noted there is a new stat called curse resistance. Does any monster have it?

Look in monprop? No, I'd say, Fade & Cleansing should have this though.
Ehh, forget the "arrow" part, it was just a clarification for what I meant with missiles. It is actually for ANY missile, just as for CB where missile attacks have half ammount of life removed. SO crossbows and throwing weapons would all count here as missiles.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Oh, so all the special mentions of "arrow" penalties have meant all ranged weapons?

Gotta love nerfing those overpowered 50k-repair-ever-1-min doublethrow Frenziers <_<

I assume this doesn't apply to the blade skills (especially Blade Fury), considering it most likely uses the melee damage of the weapon (even if it's throwable)?
Open Wounds is available on Riphook (exceptional unique bow) and on that new elite throwing winged axe. And on Langer Briser, iirc.

I am very interested to see if BF is considered ranged or melee in terms of Open Wounds.

I assume Smite is considered melee damage?
Just a quick question:
as OW is handled like a curse, is it a direct effect on monster's hit points or is it a form of damage inflicted?

If it is a damage form, what type is it? physical, magic ...?
I am not trying to post like a Wanker but my english has a pretty strong krautish influence.

Feel free to flame the content but give me some slack on spelling an grammar, thanks Smile

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
[Removed stupidity]
adamantine,Nov 7 2003, 11:37 PM Wrote:Oh, so all the special mentions of "arrow" penalties have meant all ranged weapons?&nbsp;

Gotta love nerfing those overpowered 50k-repair-ever-1-min doublethrow Frenziers <_<

I assume this doesn't apply to the blade skills (especially Blade Fury), considering it most likely uses the melee damage of the weapon (even if it's throwable)?
Not sure what special mentiones of arrow you refer to. I wrote "missiles (arrows)", wanting to clarify that missiles include arrows and such as well and not just magical spells. That was not so good clarification I realise now. Basically it means any attack done by a missile, as oposed by a player directly (which many would call a melee attack).
D-Dave,Nov 8 2003, 02: Wrote:Just a quick question:
as OW is handled like a curse, is it a direct effect on monster's hit points or is it a form of damage inflicted?

If it is a damage form, what type is it? physical, magic ...?
Well, yeah, it is set through the "curse" routine. That does not mean it should be considered a curse generally. I don't know what general interpretation people have on "curse". The curse routine in the game code basically set a specific condition on the target (a state, although not all states are set through the curse routine of course), and also modifies a stat on the player. It doesn't have to modifiy a stat though. The state set in this case also always has a duration set on it. I think there are flags for how a second identical state is handled when there is allready on on the target but I have never bothered looking much at it.

Anyway. For OW, the game set the state of "openwounds" on the target. It also modifies the stat "hpregen". It is set to a negative value (see above formula for the value, just skip the 25* so you get it per frame since that is how life regeneration works). This stat "hpregen" is the one that is added to a players/monsters life each fram when the game updates.

So it is not damage (and hence has no damage type). This is also why poison (who also modifies the same stat, but sets a different state on the target, "poison" I thin that state is called) and of course OW will halt normal regeneration since it sets a nother value other than the normal one. When the state runs out (duration is over), the game removes it and resets the old value.
thanks for setting this straight.
Once again I get a feeling of being the black hole of D2 info ™...sucking everything in but not understanding completely :blink:
I am not trying to post like a Wanker but my english has a pretty strong krautish influence.

Feel free to flame the content but give me some slack on spelling an grammar, thanks Smile

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Will damage accumulation from "negative life replenish" of Open Wounds stack with damage accumulation from poison or will one overwrite the other?

Thanks,
John H
If memory serves, OW and poison damage do not stack. I could be wrong on this.

Also, while there may not be "curse resistant" monsters per se, Oblivion Knights are immune to AI curses, and "Possessed" type champions are immune to ALL curses(supposedly)

*is glad he remembered something many forgot*
*dances about with glee, till he realises that it's nothing to be particularly proud of*
*goes off into the corner to cry at his pathetic, miserable life*
AtomicKitKat,Dec 3 2003, 05:01 AM Wrote:*is glad he remembered something many forgot*
*Is amused that Act Bosses and a few others were neglected in the remembered occurence* :D
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
WarBlade,Dec 2 2003, 10:12 PM Wrote:*Is amused that Act Bosses and a few others were neglected in the remembered occurence* :D
*stops crying*
*looks up and reads the above*
*bursts into tears once again*
*physically seperates AtomicKitKat and WarBlade*
*sends WarBlade to his room without supper*
*pats AtomicKitKat on the back saying "there there, you only wanted to help*
[Shameless bump since the thread starter can only truely answer this]

Quote: Will damage accumulation from "negative life replenish" of Open Wounds stack with damage accumulation from poison or will one overwrite the other?

Since PMH works together with either of these now (and it sets the hp regen to zero), this should be true.

Also: my Cleric can also heal though poison with his Prayer aura, which shouldn't be possible if hp regen was just handled in one way.

*Desparately wants better explanation for this*
Maybe Prayer is allowed to "override" the hp-regen, since it IS a constant effect, as opposed to a "once per hit" effect like OW/Poison.
I don't think Prayer affects regeneration. Rather, every time it "pulses," you gain life from it. At least, that would explain how it could work with poison.
adeyke,Dec 8 2003, 08:31 PM Wrote:I don't think Prayer affects regeneration.&nbsp; Rather, every time it "pulses," you gain life from it.&nbsp; At least, that would explain how it could work with poison.
That looks like the answer to why pskulls stop poison annoyances too. Plus I see why a very high poison rate gets my attention, while I can ignore most other poisons. It's on that 3 second pulse cycle.
Except that perfect skulls don't have pulses. A perfect skull will give you replenish life +5. What this means is that you get a regeneration rate of 5/256 life per frame. If the perfect skulls also stop poison annoyances, this mean this that players' item-granted life regeneration isn't halted by poison.