Lag monster...
How do I reduce lag...

I know! I'll ask the Loungers...

How do you guys reduce lag?

Is there like a lag reducer that you all have secretly outfitted your computers with?

Ok thats all... Please... I need advice...
Pirate 1: We've come to the edge of the world!!!
Pirate 2: Pay up, it's flat.
-- Sinbad, Legend of the Seven Seas
NeoLunar,Dec 8 2003, 09:43 PM Wrote:Is there like a lag reducer that you all have secretly outfitted your computers with?
Yes, it's called "512 MB ram and a cable modem" :)
Sorry, not even the strongest warriors stand a chance. :P
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
bnet lag affects everyone. CD lag is my main beef, every time I finish a boss I get about 3-4 seconds of pause-age. VERY annoying.
a55of rot13

539 tbh

Don't think cos i understand... i care
Don't think cos we're talkin... we're friends

*shavenlunatic - Europe
Just like the other monsters, it seems the lag monster got a much (un)needed boost in 1.10... It seems to me that the game is more laggy, and especially more prone to desync... Anyone has the same feeling ?
Corwin,

I think it's desync that we're experiencing. The code seems to have been rewritten somewhat so that many things, such as merc location, get updated on the client far less frequently than in earlier patches. This can cause some real problems when there are multiple fast and chaotically-moving monsters in the vicinity.

I'd just like to say that the "lag monster" that nearly everyone blames for the death of their characters can be tamed somewhat by not running all the time. You would not believe how many people curse me out and call me a liar when I tell them that running means they have a 95% chance to be hit in melee and with physical ranged attacks, voiding the effect of their godly uber-armors and shields.

Not only will more walking, especially in the midst of combat, reduce the number of hits your character takes, but it will also prevent a tiny, tiny lag spike clearing with your character running - and therefore getting hit with nearly every attack - through a pack of Extra Fast-Extra Strong-Fanatic Enchanted Moon Lords that were just up ahead before that itsy bitsy lag spike occurred.

Best wishes,
John H
Yes. I notice it most in Act V. The red portals into the side areas seem to have serious problems, at least for my skelemancer.

Edit to add: It seems to be a desync problem, but only affects those portals. I do experience other desync-type problems on occasion, but this almost always happens. I occasionally have to leave Act V and return just to enter.
Firstly there is two kinds of "lags":

"Your computer fails it" lag and true lag.

"Your computer fails it" lag is technically not lag, but since it affects your gaming experience in a likewise manner and is generally confused with real lag by many players I think it is important to cover.

"Your computer fails it" lag is caused by your computer being too slow or overstressed to handle all the operations in the game while maintaining full speed. In singleplayer mode this is usually not that great a problem in singleplayer since the game will try to "keep pace" with you and thus everything will be moving sluggishly if you do. In online play, however, the game cannot just try to keep up with the slowest guy and thus things might be happening around you while your computer catches up. This can be deadly in several situations.

Common symptoms on "your computer fails it" lag are:

Movement often seems slow and "jerky".

Sometimes everything seems to move very slowly, then everything seems to move in brief bursts of supersonic speed.

Long load times when entering new areas, especially if these use new graphics sets.

Game moves slowly when there are a lot of graphical effects on screen at once (seas of multiplying maggots, Frozen Orb spamming sorcerers, minion necromancers).

Though "your computer fails it" lag is generally less dangerous than real lag because that you are usually more aware of your surroundings and the fact that you lag it is nonetheless still deadly in the right situations.
Especially the lag when entering a new area can be problematic. This phenomenon is also known as CD-access lag as it is generally caused by Diablo 2 having to access new ressources on the CD for rendering the new area (or boss monster).
Though most areas are designed so that entrance areas and waypoints are free of monsters there are a few areas where you will be attacked immediately on entry (Duriel being the most significant). Due to other player actions monsters might also have been lured into the vicinity of entry points, not always due to malicious reasons (more on that immediately below).

One especially dangerous class of adversaries coupled with CD-access lag are other players with malicious intentions (ie. PK's). They might deliberately "trap" waypoints and town portals with monster groups so you will be beaten to pulp while your CD drive is speeding up. Also CD access lag is probably the biggest reason why waypoint guarding is such a popular and effective tactic for PK's.

One obvious way of getting rid of the CD access problem is to install all the graphics resources unto your hard drive, though this will take up a lot of your disk space.

The other type of lag is the real lag. This is caused by problems in the connections between the involved computers. This might be your modem, though this is usually the least problem. It might also be your internet connection. This can be a problem if you are on a shared internet connection (like me). Finally the problem might be actually be over at Battle.net itself. Battle.net's resources are not infinite and they are quite busy as you should probably know.

Common symptoms of real lag are:

There is a noticable delay between pressing a button to your character doing the designated action.

Monsters and other objects reacts late on your actions. (You hit a monster. A second later it reels in pain).

Monsters and players suddenly "teleporting" in and out without any reason. (When experiencing this kind of lag you really ought to exit the current game).

You suddenly find yourself teleported back to a place you were right before.

You seem to be able to move around normally and attack in melee, but your actions have no effect and your are unable to interact with your environment at all. Monsters and other players just stand or walk in place. (Here you also ought to exit the game, if the game doesn't do it for you first).

You suddenly encounter a solid straight wall of utter black void, like you have reached the end of the world.

Like you have probably already figured out when all these things happen the game is moving on quite happily. While all seems calm to you monsters (or nasty players) might actually be in the process of beating your hindmost cheeks rosy.

What can be done about lag? In case of "your computer fails it" lag there are quite some options. Of course you can upgrade your hardware if you are rich, but all of us do not have the privilege to do so freely.
There are fortunately other things you might do. Installing all the graphics resources unto your hard drive will eliminate the entire CD-access problem for example.

If your performance is just generally slow there are still something to do, though this usually includes a tradeoff. Not running the game in 3d mode for example might result in a significant increase.
You might also want to play with smaller groups. An eight player group can present a quite large strain while a 3-4 player group is far more manageable.

But for all that is good please don't bug the minion necromancers and zoo druids about it. They usually represent the least part of the problem anyway and the protection that their minions offer usually makes up for any inconveniences.

Finally remember that sometimes the good choice might be just to live with it. Sure there are situations that are just plain unacceptable, but many times you'll be suprised how well you do under awful conditions.

Personally my setup is definately not among the best. Sure it could be a lot worse, but it is still bad enough to make the spoiled kids out there go: "OMG, go eat some rotten fruit you hobo!". My processer is dated, my graphics card is a cheap piece of standard issue cardboard, I am on an underpowered shared connection and I even play on the (purpotedly) laggy Europe realm, and then I even play a goddamn skelliemancer, but I'm doing fine (most of the time).

Learn to "get a feeling" for your lag. Expect monsters to be a bit misplaced from their visual positions. Carefully backing out might solve a lot of the "CD-access" woes (If going after Duriel, get a non-lagging companion to distract Duriel while you enter). Learn to drink healing and rejuvenation potions in due time and not while you are hovering at death's door. Generally, be careful and patient.
shavenlunatic,Dec 9 2003, 09:22 AM Wrote:bnet lag affects everyone.  CD lag is my main beef, every time I finish a boss I get about 3-4 seconds of pause-age.   VERY annoying.
Copying "d2expmusic.mpq" or something similair from you D2 LoD disc to your D2 LoD directory should fix that.

For some reason, you'll have to do it manually. Even with a full install, this file is still kept on the cd.
AssA,Dec 9 2003, 07:18 PM Wrote:Copying "d2expmusic.mpq" or something similair from you D2 LoD disc to your D2 LoD directory should fix that.

For some reason, you'll have to do it manually. Even with a full install, this file is still kept on the cd.
It's an homage to D2 Classic.
D2Player69,Dec 9 2003, 12:09 PM Wrote:I'd just like to say that the "lag monster" that nearly everyone blames for the death of their characters can be tamed somewhat by not running all the time. You would not believe how many people curse me out and call me a liar when I tell them that running means they have a 95% chance to be hit in melee and with physical ranged attacks, voiding the effect of their godly uber-armors and shields.

Not only will more walking, especially in the midst of combat, reduce the number of hits your character takes, but it will also prevent a tiny, tiny lag spike clearing with your character running - and therefore getting hit with nearly every attack - through a pack of Extra Fast-Extra Strong-Fanatic Enchanted Moon Lords that were just up ahead before that itsy bitsy lag spike occurred.

Best wishes,
John H
The Walking Player
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
Standard Methods:

1.) have plenty of room on your harddrive
2.) have at least 512 ram
3.) shut down all non-essential programs
4.) copy music.mpq and char.mpq from the LoD cd
5.) put all visual effects off in game in the options menu (shadowing, 3D, etc.)
6.) get a cable modem or dsl

Non-standard methods: (i.e. programs)

1.) get your hands on d2accelerator to reduce graphics lag
2.) use d2 loader (assuming you have a valid set of cdkeys) to run diablo off your harddrive
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Is there like a lag reducer that you all have secretly outfitted your computers with?

Quite a few people here use Foxbat's Lag Reducer.
Does Foxbat's lag reducer work with 1.10? I just installed it, and spent 15 minutes crashing my computer...
Last time I tried, I couldn't see any monsters. I have not seen an update yet.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Really? I should probably try a product before I promote it, even if I heard lots of good things about it in the last patch. :D
Just noticed that Obi1.10Kenobi is Obi2Kenobi after the patch came out. :P That's what you are at the Basin, right? When DIII comes out wil you be Obi3Kenobi?

/random observations
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
:) Uh, oh. My secret's out. :P I'll still be Obi2Kenobi when/if DIII comes out. Although I am Obi3Kenobi as well as Obi1.10Kenobi and Obi2Kenobi on D2 right now.
Sorry for continuing to go off-topic, but I doubt Diablo 3 will ever come out, especially since the Blizzard North honchos left a while back.

I would like to see a console port of Diablo 2, although, if you think about the work required to port it, it would be easier to make a new game all together.

To get myself back on-topic, I'll chip in some lag reducing "tips". I keep my Diablo 2 running lag free by having/doing the following things:

1. My computer has 1.5 gigs of DDR RAM. Yes, it's definitely excessive, but lord knows it was cheap! $82 per slice of 512 Mb of DDR-333 RAM. Isn't that just nutty?

2. Daemon-tools. Don't worry, I didn't download Diablo 2 and "hack" it. I actually own two copies (I have two machines for realm play) and I abhor cheating and cheaters. Daemon-tools is a nice little app that saves you from scratching your copy of Diablo 2 by putting a copy of the disk on your hard drive. It might sound like cheating to the uninformed, but it's actually just a nice backup method. It probably gives the same performance boost as copying the d2music file to the hard drive, but I haven't compared the two methods.

3. Run Diablo 2 in a window. Looks good, and my FPS is usually in the 80s (100 with stash open!). Can't complain. I usually resize my desktop to 800x600 when I play, so the window fits the whole screen. The bottom of the window cuts off a bit, but it's no biggie.

4. Shut down any services and extra applications on our machine. Unless you have a gig and a half of RAM like I do, you're probably going to need to shut down some programs.

The following tips are for reducing CPU/Computer lag, and not Internet connection lag. Little Faith posted the distinction earlier in this thread. Internet connection lag can only be reduced by making sure your pipe is fat, and wide open. That means, you can't run servers, you can't stream music, you can't do jack, 'cept play Diablo. My DSL connection has become abysmal of late, so now when I play D2, I just play D2: no music, no downloading, and definitely no uploading.

Well, that's all I can say about lag. Good gamin' to you and yours.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Kartoffelsalat,

Thanks for posting that link. I'm a Basin regular, but I had missed that thread.

John H