The Little MAGIC FIND Guide for Diablo II LOD 1.10
Due to the high demand of English speaking Diablo II fans, I have now made an English translation of my 1.10 "Magic Find" Guide, which is immediately available for download here:

Diablo II 'Magic Find' Guide (English Version)

Diablo II 'Magic Find' Guide (German Version)

Happy Holidays everyone, and have much fun MF'ing! [Image: SM_xmas_biggrin.gif]
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Thank you very much. :D Now I'll go read it instead of trying to learn German.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
PS: Since English is not my first language, I'd be glad for any language corrections you can offer to improve the guide [Image: SM_xmas_biggrin.gif]
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
It is a much appreciated x-mas present :)

Related question: what skilldistro do you use on your necromancer? How do you pull off the summoner+bone?

Thanks

c,
This is my 1.10 CE/Summoner Ladder Necro build (naked without equipment):

Skellies: 5
Skellie Mages: 5
Skeleton Mastery: 15

Revive: 10

Fire Golem: 1
Golem Mastery: 15

Corpse Explosion: 5
Bone Spirit: 20
Bone Armor/Wall/Prison: 1 each

Curses: 1 each
Amplify Damage: 5

The Merc is a Thorns Merc and Amp Damage the main curse.
Thank you so much for the translation, nobbie, speaking as an overtired level 99 mf sorceress! I am playing ladder now and after just reaching hell with essentially no magic find equipment, I found some of your information new and I am glad to see all of it in one place.

The English reads well, though there are a couple of awkward phrases and some probably interchanged pairs of words. At one point you apparently left "oder" untranslated from the original.

Also, "information" in English is considered singular, so "info" would be a better abbreviation than "infos". Better still would be to write out "information" without abbreviation. This is, after all, the lounge!

You and the other non-native English posters here have my respect and admiration. The best I have been able to do in German is to order dry cleaning and get it the right day.

And now, if you will excuse me, I must return to the den of evil...
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Thanks for the pointers, "oder" and "infos" have been corrected. Can you please give me examples of "awkward phrases and some probably interchanged pairs of words"? [Image: SM_xmas_smile.gif]
nobbie,Dec 24 2003, 08:23 PM Wrote:Thanks for the pointers, "oder" and "infos" have been corrected. Can you please give me examples of "awkward phrases and some probably interchanged pairs of words"? [Image: SM_xmas_smile.gif]
Well, I would rewrite the first paragraph you had something like this.

oringinal opening paragraph by Nobbie Wrote:"Magic Find" (or short:  "MF") describes the dedicated search for game items with special magical properties using special equipment. This doesn't include valuable runes because they follow different, own game rules. As the power of all character classes playable in Diablo II "LoD" depends more or less on these magical game items, finding them plays an important role. Now, the game isn't only successfully playable with very good or the best equipment, but every bonus that can be achieved through the equipment can make the progress a lot easier.

"Magic Find" ("MF" for short) describes the dedicated search for items in the game with special magical properties through the use of special MF'ing equiptment. This doesn't include valuable runes because they follow different game rules. Since the power of all playable character classes in Diablo II "LoD" depends, more or less, on magical items, finding them plays an important role. While the game can be played without the best or even very good items every advantage that can be achived through equipment can make progess a lot easier.

That is just my take. There are few word pairs that I changed around, and some phrase ordering. What you wrote was completely understandable, it just flows a little awkwardly in places. If I had the time, I would go through and rework the whole thing to just make the flow a little better, but alas, I don't have the time for that. Pretty much any native English speaker should be able to do that for you though.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Thanks for the example, Gnollguy. Well, that would indeed require the help of a native English speaker then, because I have learned English mostly by using the Internet and its forums ;)
Thank you for posting this - it's helpful to read to bring the concepts together (at least for me, as I've never really done anything beyond casual MF in normal and early NM).
Haha! Thanks nobbie, if only you could have done this before I deciphered the German! Oh well, it's a great Christmas present nonetheless! I'll be sure to re-read this mf goodness :D
Great job on the guide man. It was very informant and very excellent resource for info on magic find, and may I add, very well translated and thank you for doing so because I am now very much enlightnened on the magic find subject and hope to soon get some of em uber uniques ;). Thanks again.
Ran off to the Amazon Basin
Great guide.

One very minor nit -- the title of the page is still written in German. The source is currently:

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<title>Der kleine "Magic Find" - Führer für Diablo II
"LoD" 1.10</title>
</head>

Happy Holidays.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
JustAGuy,Dec 27 2003, 10:40 PM Wrote:Great guide.

One very minor nit -- the title of the page is still written in German. The source is currently:

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<title>Der kleine "Magic Find" - Führer für Diablo II
"LoD" 1.10</title>
</head>

Happy Holidays.
Corrected, thanks ;)
Could you please specify what skills each of the abovementioned characters used?
Pirate 1: We've come to the edge of the world!!!
Pirate 2: Pay up, it's flat.
-- Sinbad, Legend of the Seven Seas
NeoLunar,Dec 28 2003, 11:35 PM Wrote:Could you please specify what skills each of the abovementioned characters used?
My MF Amazon's skills can be found here, and my Necro's are above.
Thank you for the translation Nobbie.
I look at it in german, making me looking for old parts of memory already lost.
The translation is a real bless.

Thanks obviously also for the job, the guide is really interesting B)
You did? Because if you learned it from random forums and internet pages, then... How is your spelling/grammar so good? :)
The rest comes from my highschool English :)
I sent you a reworded/repunctuated version. Edited for clarity and such. If you want to use it, go ahead, if not, then just delete the PM. B)