No Multiplayer: HELP!
Hello, I am posting because I am in desperate need of help regarding my Diablo (1).

You see, up until yesterday I had been enjoying online play. Then, suddenly, Diablo crashed.
I tried to load it up again but every time it says : "Checking Gateway" and all that stuff, Diablo crashes before loading the chose player screen.

I have reinstalled the game, and re-patched it, twice. But still no luck.

I'm wondering if I may have been sent a Trojan, and if so, how do I find/delete it?

Any suggestions of what this problem may be?

Thanks a million - Reckoning. [Image: icon9.gif]
In your Diablo directory, there should be a file called 'bncache.dat'. This sometimes gets corrupted. Delete it, and see if your problem is solved. If not, the fix may be a bit more complicated.

In any case, get yourself some antivirus software and give it a spin. For any computer with online uses, this is a necessary precaution.
Tried it, no luck. Scanned for viruses twice. No luck. I'm getting frustrated.

P.S. Like I said, when I reinstalled twice I had to uninstall it right, so all those files were deleted once any how. *I went in and deleted ALL of them, even my multi files (I backed them up on a diskette.)*
Reckoning,

Don't know what your problem is exactly, but I suffered something similar about a year ago when I had to reinstall my Diablo game.

My problem was the after having installed v1.0 (from the disk) the game always crashed when trying to patch directly to v1.09 from Battlenet. Very frustrating! (Ah, there was no virus involved here.)

Eventually I did this:
Loaded the game(v1.0) from the disk.
Upgraded to v1.07 via the Lurker Lounge download (see http://www.lurkerlounge.com/diablo/mods.shtml )
THEN upgraded to v1.09 via Battlenet.

It worked after that.

So, it might not be the same problem, but you could uninstall and try this and see if it works for you also.

Good luck and hope you get back to playing.

Attika
THANK THE DIABLO GODS (that's an example of contradiction if I've ever seen one):

I got it to work online again!

The solution: deleting (for good) my online characters. I've decided to start from scratch, legit. The only time the game crashes now is when a *insert unflattering term here* player crashes me because he finds it amusing.

So I stay away from pks and hackersa nd try to play peacefully.

Which leads me to my next thread:
MASS-multi-GAME

- Sir.EnderWiggin (A.K.A. Reckoning)
Reckoning, welcome to the Lurker Lounge.

I suggest strongly, that you read the Rules, FAQ and Etiquette pages of this site. There are links at the top of this page and every page in the forums. Then use the edit feature on the above post of yours.

The benefit of the doubt is yours, this time.
Sense and courtesy are never common
Don't try to have the last word. You might get it. - Lazarus Long
Quote:The solution: deleting (for good) my online characters. I've decided to start from scratch, legit. The only time the game crashes now is either when a *insert unflattering term here* player crashes me because he finds it amusing, OR when I try to load in illegit weapons in to my character to destroy a PK that has been annoying myself and my playing mates.

Then you're still not playing legitimately. There is zero reason to use such a program. It just proves that you're a bit of a nitwit.

You slay some player who's been harassing you. Player can now restart in town and continue harassing you. Result: Stalemate.

Oh, but that's not the worst of it. You cheated to defeat them. Well, sorry, bucko, but PKing is built into the game. Cheating to get around it cannot be warped into legitimacy by any stretch of the imagination.

And, as my moderator-in-arms Nastie_Bowie already told you, admitting to cheating can get you banned from these boards. I am going to give you a second chance, because you really are trying to go legit. You just don't know what the blazes you're doing. The following behaviors are forms of cheating.

1) Bug Abuse
These "tricks" work because some game routine gets confused and an improper result occurs. Item duplication, for example, generates multiple copies of the same item. The MS Bug avoids stunlock by briefly tricking the game into thinking you're dead. Outright abuse is cheating.

2) Third Party Programs
Trainers are the biggest offenders here. Obvious sorts of things include invulnerability, level/stat editing, item editing, and so on.

Character backup (via your OS or some utility) can also be used to cheat. Restoring because you got yourself killed, e.g., is most certainly cheating. Restoring because some jackass crashed you during item recovery, on the other hand, is understandable.

Mods, activated via executable or DHack, are not cheating because mod characters exist in their own little world. Play mod characters only with other mod characters (those using the same mod, of course) and there's no problem. (Imagine if cheaters gamed only with other cheaters!)

3) Use of Equipment Generated by Third Party Programs
Obviously, it's still cheating even if you didn't make the item.

- - - - - - - - -

Now, if you insist on playing public games, there are plenty of ways to put the hurt on cheaters and griefers without resorting to cheating. Use your noggin' and you can always get the last laugh.

Alternatively, invite your buddies for a round of private games. The cheaters are left to their own devices and you've got the best company in the world. It's win/win.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Quote:You slay some player who's been harassing you. Player can now restart in town and continue harassing you

I didn't mean that I cheated to attack the pks, yes, they are part of the game. I was saying that I tried to use a program that made me "god mode" to player attack (yes it's a cheat) to avoid the scenario where I trust a player to play along with me and they just end up killing me when bored. I used that whilst I was lvl 1 - 7 because I was most vulnerable as a new "legit" player. I know admiting to using something like that is against the rules but I felt I had to clear that up since you seem to be accusing me or being ignorant in some manor. Personaly, I'm not a PK and never retaliate. I discourage such players because they make one of my favorite games less entertaining. They take advantage of the weak because they have all these hacks on or whatnot. I appreciate the IM about the rules etc. I will try to abide by them in the future but in this case I felt I needed to defend myself.

If you have to ban me for clearing up this isue than so be it but I don't think that that is right.

I'm sorry for the trouble I've obviously caused.
-Sir.EnderWiggin
-Reckoning
Quote:If you have to ban me for clearing up this isue than so be it but I don't think that that is right.

I'm sorry for the trouble I've obviously caused.

Oh, blah blah blah blah. Pull your tail out from between your legs. It's my job to deal with this stuff. It's also my job and the job of other Lurkers to promote the best in gamers. If you're still resorting to cheating, you are still insecure about something. That's why people cheat. You don't need to do that.

Quote:I didn't mean that I cheated to attack the pks, yes, they are part of the game. I was saying that I tried to use a program that made me "god mode" to player attack (yes it's a cheat) to avoid the scenario...

And it's the wrong approach. Friendly fire is also a part of the game. Learning good cooperative gaming skills is very important. If your partners never worry about hitting you, they've no reason to improve their aim or play more cautiously. Incompetent co-op partners don't make anyone happy.

Quote:I used that whilst I was lvl 1 - 7 because I was most vulnerable as a new "legit" player. I know admiting to using something like that is against the rules but I felt I had to clear that up since you seem to be accusing me or being ignorant in some manor.

Well, the thing is... cheaters are regarded ignorant here. Because they almost universally are. Inept. Unskilled. Insecure. All of those. You cheat by wrapping yourself in a "Cloud of Peace," but no-damage-from-players is still not a legitimate practice. And it's completely unnecessary.

Think about it. What's really happening when you get PKed? You lose gold. You have to worry about whether that jackass is going to try for your other ear. Your gaming is disrupted. That's the worst of it, but cheating won't solve that. PK can still kill your coop partners. He can create monster "traps" at portals and stairwells. He can grief in more ways than you can protect against. The solution universally comes back to passworded games... or accepting the disruption.

OR -- and this is a big OR, it's a fun OR -- you can *cough* with these people. They're stupid and temperamental, and it'll probably end up in you being crashed to the desktop. You see, nothing annoys PKs more than you staying in town. And, since you've nothing better to do, mock them. Cop a 'tude and sink your teeth in. Often you can insult them to their face and they won't realize it. If they do realize you're mocking them, their best counter will always be some cliche curse or the oh-so-emasculating "cowerd!!!11 git downe hear1" They provide you with plenty of material. Just observe them; there's no need to make anything up. At best, they get fed up and leave. At worst, they crash you. Those are the cards you're dealt with this. Play the hand as you like.

Quote:...but in this case I felt I needed to defend myself.

I don't see that you needed to. I'd already decided it's more worthwhile to try and educate you than ban you.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]