Electric Blue's 1.10 Wolf Guide
Quote:Fury : You describe the gear that people will wear at level 60 and beyond. Players still have to get there, you know, and most who do, unless they do serious mfing, won't have the gear you describe. The rabies section also suffers from this flaw.

On the front page of the guide:

Quote:One more reminder, druids are expensive to make, and difficult to play, so make sure you have enough 'resources' before you begin one.

The guide lists the recomended equipment properties and the recomended uniques with those properties. Before you can find and wear this equipment it goes without saying that other equipment with similar mods will help during that time
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
It's a quality guide. When you're leveling a Werewolf, there's some pretty low-tech stuff you can rely on during the early levels - among them, Bonesnap, any item with x% damage to mana (Ith in an armor socket helps), rubies, an Eld weapon (for when you're leveling in Sewers and other undead-heavy areas), etc. Aldur's Rhythm is fairly easy to find and very easy to trade for. Same for Sander's Riprap and Sigon pieces. There's lots of mediocre gear that will serve very well all the way through lvl 76 or so in Nightmare.

The guide seems to be geared towards old-time MF'ers who have scads of quality gear lying around, and want to try it out. (Especially since melee characters, outside of Frost Zealots, are such a pain to play in 1.10). If that's you, have fun. If it's not, the general principles expressed in the guide still hold true - just note the qualities listed (FHR, -DR, etc.), and ignore the uber item names. A mediocre Wolf will not slam into a brick wall until Hell Act 2.
;)
Small Update: Check out Fury and Equipment Pages
Quote: Well, that is a definition, and the tables in the charts are prepared according to that definition.
So, you can't just say that a definition is wrong without showing that the outcomes are wrong values.
The outcome is probably fine for Werewolves with a maxed out SI term, but the definition IS wrong, according to the standards that everyone follows. WIAS is the amount of IAS found on a weapon. When you add in the base speed of a weapon, you get what most people call the Weapon Speed Modifier (WSM).

I'm just letting you know because, if you're going to write for a Druid audience, you should probaby use their lingo. :)
-TheDragoon
Quote:he bear is faster then a wolf with a phase blade 110 ias inserted in it using fire claws. no typo. bear hits faster, and with more damage also.
Don't tell us now, explain it in the guide. If one person was confused by it, then there will be others. :)
-TheDragoon
TheDragoon,Jan 18 2004, 03:56 PM Wrote:The outcome is probably fine for Werewolves with a maxed out SI term, but the definition IS wrong, according to the standards that everyone follows. 

WIAS is the amount of IAS found on a weapon.  When you add in the base speed of a weapon, you get what most people call the Weapon Speed Modifier (WSM).

I'm just letting you know because, if you're going to write for a Druid audience, you should probaby use their lingo.  :)
The definition being wrong according to something that I DON'T use in the analysis makes no sense when it is viewed objectively. Being consistent throughout the analysis is the important thing here.

From the scientific point of view, it is called relativity. Trust me there is nothing wrong with that.

Thanks for the advice, though. But I prefer its original form.
TheDragoon,Jan 18 2004, 03:59 PM Wrote:Don't tell us now, explain it in the guide.  If one person was confused by it, then there will be others. :)
Well, it is already written in the guide. That was a confirmation only.
Quote:Being consistent throughout the analysis is the important thing here.
This is my point. You're consistent through YOUR analysis, but not consistent with EVERY OTHER ANALYSIS OUT THERE! I'm just telling you that, for the audience that you're writing for, you'll end up confusing a lot of people by redefining something that we have perfectly good standards for.

Why does your point of view remind me of Microsoft ignoring html standards with Internet Explorer? :)
-TheDragoon
Quote: Well, it is already written in the guide. That was a confirmation only.
No, that wasn't just confirmation, that was someone who wanted to see it stated either more clearly or in more detail. Believe me, I've written Wereform guides and 9/10, if one person has trouble with something, then many, many others will. I can't tell you how many emails I would receive about the same thing time and again (as I was often too busy to fix it immediately). :)
-TheDragoon
:)
Actually, that is not re-defining.
As I said before, the table was a product of some independant study done 2 - 3 years ago (just cant remember the year) way before the popular calculators or tables I have seen (yours, for example). And preserving definitions is just some form of respect shown to that studies.

If I get more messages regarding the issue, however, I may change the formats. For now, added a note about the WIAS definitions in my guide and elsewhere :)

And folks, check out the workshop, the thread about rabies and fire claws.
Need help with that.
TheDragoon,Jan 19 2004, 12:12 AM Wrote:No, that wasn't just confirmation, that was someone who wanted to see it stated either more clearly or in more detail.  Believe me, I've written Wereform guides and 9/10, if one person has trouble with something, then many, many others will.  I can't tell you how many emails I would receive about the same thing time and again (as I was often too busy to fix it immediately).  :)
Well, again.
TheDragoon again.
;)

Here is the exact sentence in the Fire Claws section:

'A 5 framer such as a phase blade with at least 110 IAS socketed can be used to cause decent damage. The 5 framer is a 4 framer when shifted into a bear instead of a wolf.'

I still think that the statement is enough for the purpose.
+
More depth to bears will be coming with the update for fire claws.
Update:

Rabies Section
www.geocities.com/welett/rabies.htm

Some important information about rabies is revealed in this update. Check the Rabies Damage Boost Page first.

Also

Small updates to gears and PvP.

www.geocities.com/welett/110.htm
Is the rabies damage boost just to damage, or to duration also?
apandapion,Jan 28 2004, 11:32 AM Wrote:Is the rabies damage boost just to damage, or to duration also?
if you mean the poison skill damage gear, the boost is to damage rate. same duration.
duration is determined by your rabies skill.
small update: added rabies and fire claws discussion about their unblockability and uninterruptibility and my test findings.
Also corrected TheDragoon's name in the links as he requested :)

guide
www.geocities.com/welett/index110.htm

discussion
www.geocities.com/welett/attckfind.htm
electricblue,Jan 18 2004, 03:33 PM Wrote:From the scientific point of view, it is called relativity. Trust me there is nothing wrong with that.

Have to agree with theDragoon on this one. Here's why:

If you wanted to, you could have written every single bit of your guide in code. Provided you gave your reader's the code at the begining of the guide, explained what you did, and were consistent throughout, there would be "nothing wrong with that." Would you do that, even if you happened to prefer the code to written english? Take things down a notch: if I wanted to, I could start replacing "Diablo" with "B." Providing I tell my readers I'm doing so, and I remain consistent, "scientifically" there would be "nothing wrong with that." But why would I do that? We already shorten that (sometimes) to "D" or "Big D," among other things.

It's not that what you did was "scientifically" incorrect. However, strategy guide's are written either for (1) general D2 audiences, or, (2) more specific D2 audiences. Your guide seems to be slightly more geared towards a specific group. I applaud you, btw, for stating flat-out that your guide is intended for those with mid- to high-end gear, rather than simply assuming your readers will own any piece of equipment you think is good. The point, however, is moot -- regardless of who your guide is geared towards, it only makes sense for you to use accepted standards when describing things such as IAS.

Finally, I'd be inclined to believe just about anything TheDragoon has to say about Druid Shapeshifting guides. I mean, damn, man, have you SEEN his website? What you're doing is like arguing with Jesus about the Bible!

All in all, quite an interesting read. Gave me a few ideas about builds I might want to try! As a final note, remember not to take any criticism about your guide as a negative -- the mere fact it's getting so much discussion and interest shows you did a good job. From that standpoint, criticism the fine, experienced folks at the LL can only improve your guide.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
gekko,Feb 6 2004, 03:28 AM Wrote:
electricblue,Jan 18 2004, 03:33 PM Wrote:From the scientific point of view, it is called relativity. Trust me there is nothing wrong with that.

Have to agree with theDragoon on this one. Here's why:

If you wanted to, you could have written every single bit of your guide in code. Provided you gave your reader's the code at the begining of the guide, explained what you did, and were consistent throughout, there would be "nothing wrong with that." Would you do that, even if you happened to prefer the code to written english? Take things down a notch: if I wanted to, I could start replacing "Diablo" with "B." Providing I tell my readers I'm doing so, and I remain consistent, "scientifically" there would be "nothing wrong with that." But why would I do that? We already shorten that (sometimes) to "D" or "Big D," among other things.

It's not that what you did was "scientifically" incorrect. However, strategy guide's are written either for (1) general D2 audiences, or, (2) more specific D2 audiences. Your guide seems to be slightly more geared towards a specific group. I applaud you, btw, for stating flat-out that your guide is intended for those with mid- to high-end gear, rather than simply assuming your readers will own any piece of equipment you think is good. The point, however, is moot -- regardless of who your guide is geared towards, it only makes sense for you to use accepted standards when describing things such as IAS.

Finally, I'd be inclined to believe just about anything TheDragoon has to say about Druid Shapeshifting guides. I mean, damn, man, have you SEEN his website? What you're doing is like arguing with Jesus about the Bible!

All in all, quite an interesting read. Gave me a few ideas about builds I might want to try! As a final note, remember not to take any criticism about your guide as a negative -- the mere fact it's getting so much discussion and interest shows you did a good job. From that standpoint, criticism the fine, experienced folks at the LL can only improve your guide.

gekko
I already explained the reason of using WIAS in some other definition then the popular one.
here again

'As I said before, the table was a product of some independant study done 2 - 3 years ago (just cant remember the year) way before the popular calculators or tables I have seen (yours, for example). And preserving definitions is just some form of respect shown to that studies.'

And, the guide is evolving constantly with the help and critisism of people. Just follow the update messages :)

Also, here is another quote from the same post.

'If I get more messages regarding the issue, however, I may change the formats. For now, added a note about the WIAS definitions in my guide and elsewhere'

And yes, he has a nice site and linked from my page.
Whether the rabies/carrion wind synergy is a bug or part of the game is more than semantics. My 1.08 hammerdin was seriously nerfed when the bh/conc bug was fixed in 1.09. I don't want to go thru that again.

Stonehenge at 76 has maxed lycanthropy, werewolf, fury & oak. Plan A was to save pts until a carrion wind ring showed up, then invest in rabies. Plan B: if the ring doesn't show, dump the pts into feral rage.

Plan C, maxing rabies & poison creeper, isn't possible now. Best he can do without the ring is to max rabies and put a handful of pts into poison creeper by the time he tops out at 90 or so.

If the rabies/ring synergy is a bug, plan B is most logical. If the synergy is part of the game plan A is viable. What to do?

Both guides are great work, btw.
[Image: spangles_sig_3.jpg]
carrion wind doesnt lead to any overpowered fury/rabies build, meaning that you wont earn much damage by using carrion wind. it is just the skill points you get. I advise you to go for rabies, with or without carrion wind.
small update:

added a cool fury weapon to high end fury weapons page.

7/4 fury 1h 314 avg dmg