Battle.net Problems
Hey everybody,

Well here is my problem, whenever I try to connect to any battle.net realm from diablo 1, I see it queing servers, but then it just sits at that point, and the program freezes. If i hit the cancel button my screen goes black and i am forced to end the diablo application. But even after i end the application, there is still a diablo.exe process running in the backround that i am unable to end by any means. Because of this i am also unable to reboot my computer by using the shut down menue, I must manually reboot/turn off my computer to resolve this problem. Knowing that warcraft II battle.net edition and starcraft use the same way to connect to battle.net, i tried playing warcraft II battle.net and i had the exact same problem, so I am sure that the problem is not with a faulty install or a bad cd, but rather with my computer somewhere. I am running windows 2000 prof. 2cpu version. So if anybody out there could help me with some ideas of where to start looking to fix this problem, because i am really at a dead end at the moment, so any help at all would be appreciated.

Thankyou
Are you using the most recent patch? (Diablo v1.09)

-Lem
yes, i'm using 1.09

edit: any more ideas?
Are you running a firewall, and if so have you allowed access for Diablo? It needs access and it needs to be allowed to act as a server (if you host games).
Yes, i am running a firewall, but I had already given diablo 1 access to the internet, so that is not the problem, I think its a problem with the setup of my machine or something like that, i have no clue though, any more suggestions...?

edit: Just a thought, but does anybody have an emulated b.net that i could try to connect to, so i could see if its just that i can't connect to battle.net, or if i just can't connect to any server, just a thought... might narrow it down a bit i guess
If you haven't tried it yet, try deleting bncache.dat. It probably won't help, but it is harmless and too simple not to try.
Well i was looking at the bncache.dat for Diablo, and the file contains no data, it is 0 KB. Anyways i tried deleting it and the same problem... any other ideas... other than re-installing my os, wich i don't really want to do just for Diablo 1... i mean its good and all, but hours of backing stuff up and re-installing doesn't seem worth it... or maybe it is... hehe, but really i need some help, anybody!?
1) Google and download BNetGatewayEditor
2) Fire it up.
3) Add a new server, through the interface, with these options:
Server Name: DSF
Server IP: 66.189.6.173
Server Timezone: 6

Try connecting that way.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Quote:Roland:
3) Add a new server, through the interface, with these options:
Server Name: DSF
Server IP: 66.189.6.173
Server Timezone: 6

This will not connect the user to Battle.net but to Roland's own server.

-Lem
For that clarification. In my rush to right that, I forgot to note that particular tidbit. I say "rush" because my keyboard was on my desk, while my computer monitor was on my desk chair, facing the bed, on which I was sitting, which is off to the side of the desk. To put it short and sweet: it was awkward trying to type, so I was "rushed" in doing so. ;)

Yes, the above instructions will add an additional Gateway to your list. Please note that text: add an additional Gateway. It will NOT overwrite any existing (including modified) Gateways. It will merely append the list with a new option. It will also set DSF as the "default" (i.e. when Diablo is started, the currently chosen Gateway will be DSF, until such time that you change it to another Gateway and connect to said Gateway, where said Gateway will become the new "default"), but that is a trivial matter.

It should be noted that because of the way the server is set up, it WILL allow all versions of Diablo, including modified .EXE files, so that Mods can be played via Multiplayer (ala B.Net) even with a modified .EXE, which is NOT the case on classic Battle.Net. Please also note that this server is, for the most part, "unmonitored", in that any cheating, hacking, or other inappropriate behavoir will not be noticed by myself unless I am specifically present for said infringements. Thus, any participation means you must police yourself. However, any word I get of unapproved activity WILL result in termination of use of the server by any and all guilty parties. I may not be watching 24 / 7, but I do pay attention, and I will take action if it is warranted (for the record, in the months that I previously ran the server, there was not once ever a time where disciplinatory action was required; we have a good group of people here, so fret not ;)).

Enough long-winded replies. :D Put the server to use for your testing, if it is your wish, and even for continued use (it is up 24 / 7) if you so wish it. Any questions can be directed to me via PM.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Ok, well I added your server to my list, and i pinged it to make sure i had the right addy... and then i tried to connect once again, it stalled once again, so my guess its somewhere in my configurations... any thoughts at what to look at? I have a network card and a network card installed on my motherboard, at the moment the one on my motherboard is disabled, maybe if i took out the extra network card and just used the one on the motherboard... i might try that, but any other suggestions?
I've seen this problem before. It used to be a somewhat common problem, back in the day. I just can't, for the life of me, remember what the hell caused it, nor how to fix it. :/ Sorry buddy.

I'll inform you if I remember anything. I'll do a little mental digging, see what I come up with. :)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
"General Troubleshooting

Check with your ISP and/or network admin to make sure your network is not restricting outgoing TCP/IP packets on Ports 116 & 118 of your router. Also make sure port 6112 is open for UDP packets."

Maybe that will help a little? I don't know, but I thought it might be worth posting.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Maybe your firewall is not correctly configured. Try turning it off completely. If D works then, you have at least located the problem.
Well i tried turning off my firewall, i use zone alarm, and no luck... so its probably something wrong with the configuration of my os, windows2k... again, any thoughts?
Definately not behind a network? or router? most modern routers seem to contain a firewall of sorts.
Exactly how do you connect to the internet? Do you have a DSL modem plugged straight into the pack of your machine? or a dial up connection? or a network where the actually connection to the internet is outside your control.

Actually, I hear of ISP's that have their own firewallage at their end, although I'm not too sure, and I doubt it's common.

-Bob
Bob,Feb 11 2004, 10:15 PM Wrote:Actually, I hear of ISP's that have their own firewallage at their end, although I'm not too sure, and I doubt it's common.
I don't know how common it is, but that is the exact problem I had when I first got my DSL connection. My ISP protects its regular DSL lines with NAT (netwrok address translation?). I had to ask for a direct fixed ip connection to the internet so that I could establish my own protection and set the rules for who gets through and who doesn't. At the time, Classic Diablo was my game of choice too so that was the influence for getting rid of NAT.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Bob,Feb 11 2004, 10:15 PM Wrote:Definately not behind a network? or router? most modern routers seem to contain a firewall of sorts.
Exactly how do you connect to the internet? Do you have a DSL modem plugged straight into the pack of your machine? or a dial up connection? or a network where the actually connection to the internet is outside your control.
I am connected to the net via my comptuter > Network cable > hub > Network Cable > DSL Modem. The hub doesn't have any firewalls or anything on it, and there are no other computers connected to the network at the moment. So I am about 100% sure that the problem lies within the configurations of my os, due to the fact taht i've tried connecting directly to the modem, without my firewall up, and i still am a no go for Diablo 1 goodness... anythoughts about what to check on os settings? *I have Windows 2k Proffesional: 1-2 cpu version*
Are you using Internet Connection Firewall (network connection/properties/advanced)? If you have just a hub and your dsl modem has no firewall and you aren't using IFC, it seems the only thing left is to check with your ISP. I am sure Diablo did not start out being NAT aware and I don't remember it ever being patched for that either. If your ISP is using NAT on your connection, I'm pretty sure you're dead in the water.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."