Let's talk about broken bones
I've never broken or sprained anything. *beams*
Of course, I'm still only 14... ;)

Quote:Take your shoes and socks off and look at your left foot. Look at your left baby toe. Now, imagine it poking off to the side at a 90° angle. That's what happened to me.
*bends left toe*
I can get it to about an 85* angle.... *doesn't see what all the fuss is about* :) Of course, maybe I shouldn't count...
My thumb
Note: This image may shock and/or disturb you. If you are squeamish/have heart problems, you should not view this image. Obi2Kenobi is not responsible for any damage to yourself, others in room, and/or property.

This is only one of my things I can do. As always (when I post such images with potentially disturbing content), this image has been unedited, except for resizing and slight reduction of quality for storage/bandwidth reasons.

/edit: Oh, and I can also touch my right ear with my right arm or left ear with my left arm (though not both at the same time... yet). With my arm going behind my head.
Sir_Die_alot,Mar 26 2004, 08:46 PM Wrote:I have no idea how you manage to type a post with fingers like that.  :D
I heard Doc has a trained typing monkey that responds to voice commands.
Obi2Kenobi,Mar 26 2004, 08:57 PM Wrote:My thumb
Note: This image may shock and/or disturb you.
You have the coolest-looking thumb ever.

edit: quote mishap
Without touching it with my other fingers, I can only get it to be about 87* hyperextended.
DeeBye,Mar 26 2004, 09:03 PM Wrote:
Sir_Die_alot,Mar 26 2004, 08:46 PM Wrote:I have no idea how you manage to type a post with fingers like that.  :D
I heard Doc has a trained typing monkey that responds to voice commands.
Actually, I type with 2 fingers on the left hand, pointer and middle, and, with the right hand, I type with thumb, pointer, and ring fingers. Other fingers stand by just looking important. I can still type over 60 wpm on good days.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Mar 26 2004, 09:36 PM Wrote:Actually, I type with 2 fingers on the left hand, pointer and middle, and, with the right hand, I type with thumb, pointer, and ring fingers. Other fingers stand by just looking important. I can still type over 60 wpm on good days.
Damnit, I was really hoping you had a trained monkey in that zoo of yours.

[Image: mojo.gif]

Now I'm disillusioned.
Damn, that thumb looks dead. I can apply some force and get my right thumb to touch its own forearm, but not with the left. :huh: My elbows both hyperextend beyond the 180 mark(ie, beyond horizontal). I can cross link my arms behind my back(easier to do right over left under rather than the other way, but no spot on my back I cannot reach. :P) I can hook both feet behind my head for about 5 seconds at most(10 with individual leg) If you don't understand what I mean, imagine sitting down with your legs stretched out(knees slightly bent, and pointing to the sides) Now lean forwards, till your calves rub your ears.Now lock your toes against your ankles. That's what I can do(I just tried, and I can only JUST ABOUT do it. Too many years without practice). Despite all this, I have never managed a split. :(
I can cross my arms in front of me and pull my head through them. :D

If you don't know what I mean, put both hands out in front of you, with the elbows locked. Turn your hands so your palms are facing outward, with the back of your hands touching. Now cross your arms so your palms are facing each other, but your left palm is still facing your left, and your right palm your right. Lock your fingers together in a lattice. Now rotate your hands down and inward; your nuckles should be facing you. Move your elbow to be on top of your other elbow (you'll know which elbow, the other arm would have to be rubber to do this backwards). Now try and pull your head through the loop without pulling apart your fingers.

/edit:
P.S. I think we should make an Oragami people thread. 5 points to anyone who can fold themselves into a boat and sail away. 10 points to anyone who catches the refference.
Obi2Kenobi,Mar 27 2004, 03:06 PM Wrote:I can cross my arms in front of me and pull my head through them. :D
If I am following your description properly, I can do this. I can also touch my right ear with my right hand, going around my neck. In my youth I could suck my toes, but I am old and no longer quite that supple. And my toes are no longer on which anyone would care to suck. Besides the deformations of arthritis, one nail is missing at the moment (from falling on the broken sidewalk at my podiatrist's), a neuroma on each foot, one internal hemorrhage, and a break -- very much like DeeBye's, but one toe over and wine instead of beer.

I have many of the symptoms of Marfan's syndrome: I can overlap the first joints of my thumb and pinkey around my wrists, and I can extend the first joint of my thumb beyond a fist. So far one symptom short of a diagnosis -- which is good, I guess.

Your thumb picture did not load for me, but I can bend my first joint backwards at a ninety degree angle. Is this what your picture showed? To the best of my knowledge, this is a mutation having nothing to do with Marfan's.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
In grade 5, when I was 10 years old, I played alot of soccer at recess. It was fairly well organized and we had made equal teams. We thought we were hot stuff, so we decided to challenge the sixth graders. It was going well (Tied that is), and our goalie had just cleared the ball well across the field. I was a fast little bugger, and I made it there just after one of their defence players got the ball. I managed to steal it, but I accidentaly scraped her leg with my shoe. I passed the ball and turned around to apologize, just in time to see her end the kick she had aimed right at my shin. People on the other side of the field herd the crack.

Luckily, it was only a hairline fracture. I learned later that she was part of a regional team and had the strongest kick of the league. Apparently, she had an important game that night, and was worried that she wouldn't be able to play with the "injury" that I had given her. She didn't play that night anyways. Her parents weren't impressed by the leg-kicking.

I lay on the ground, pounding the sand and screaming as loud as I could. The teachers must have thought I was having a hissy-fit. When they heard what had happened, they carried me inside and gave me a glass of orange juice. Great. Then I went to the hospital. And missed out on our new pool for that summer. <_<
A plague of exploding high-fives.
Broken my left wrist twice in the same place. No permanent damage, and it's not any more fragile than my other bones. Some of us are just born tough, and then there are others (like Doc) that just refuse to die :)

Quote:I said, "I just broke my toe! ^%#&^%#*&^%#&$#&!"

You cursed after saying you broke your toe? You weren't using proper cursing grammar! You should say the varied obscenities between the words "my" and "toe"! As in "I just broke my #(*@&#(&*!!!&*&#@! toe!" Get it right! :P
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:I can also touch my right ear with my right hand, going around my neck.
Not around my neck (which would make my elbow pointing outward), but behind my head (elbow pointing up). :) Not sure if you just said that wrong, or read it wrong, or if I said it wrong to begin with. :)

Quote:Your thumb picture did not load for me, but I can bend my first joint backwards at a ninety degree angle. Is this what your picture showed?
I can bend it about that far without touching it. When I apply pressure from other fingers (what the picture shows), I can get it much, much farther back. It also has the unusual side effect of making my second joint stick into my palm, when done (in)correctly. :mellow:

Quote:and I can extend the first joint of my thumb beyond a fist.
I can do this as well. :)

Quote:I have many of the symptoms of Marfan's syndrome:
I've never heard of this... *looks up on Google*
I can do that lattice and head through thingy too. Heck, I can wrap my arm over my head and reach the jawbone on the same side as the arm. I can still do a full lotus(for those of you who don't know, it's like the "real" Indians do, with the legs crossed while seated.), with BOTH feet above their opposite thighs, without using my hands to force it. I can then bring my legs up to the point that I can tweak a nipple with a toe(okay, very gross sounding) Top that! :) Just gonna warn you, it hurts the side of the shins, and if done for too long, you might start to feel like your ankles are hyper-extended.
Quote:Top that!
OK... I can do a full lotus while reverse cross-eyed (both eyes going out and to the top), and then do pushups with a platform on both sides of me (and without one, but that just makes it easier without it). :P Top that! The one thing I wish I could do is put both arms behind my back with fingers locked and then pull them up (start out with hands near waist, end up with hands near shoulders).

I can do the butterfly thingy (feet together, knees bent out toward sides) with my feet touching my legs (upper legs), and my head on the ground. :) Beat that, too!

/edit: I would assume my arms start near my shoulders...
//edit: I would also assume my feet touch my legs...
Top what?

I can, at will, disconnect both of my shoulders from their sockets, disconnect both of my hips, disconnect my jaw from it's socket, and I am capable of bending both of my thumbs and most of my fingers backwards to the point where the fingernail can touch the second knuckle. I can disconnect my thumbs from their sockets, and, there have not been a pair of hand cuffs made yet that are capable of holding me. Very large wrists, and, with my fingers and thumbs disconnected, very small hands. When either arm is disconnected, I can reach around my back, whip my elbow out, reach over my chest with the same arm, and have my left hand touch my left shoulder after wrapping the arm around my body. Same with the right. After disconnecting a hip, I can grab my leg in my hand, and smack my heel into the back of my skull. Either leg.

A long long long long time ago when I was taking Aikido, I could bend over backwards, put my head down between my ankles, keep bending, and bring my head up to my knees allowing me to look straight forward from down between my legs.

I can, with a great deal of pain and effort, and a lot of time, pop each segment of my spine and wiggle it loose, and make my self a touch over three inches taller. I am no longer able to do this after the screws that got screwed into my neck bones, but, there was a time when with a little time and effort, I could turn my head completely backward and look behind me, my chin squarely aligned with my spine.

My ability to just come apart has been what has saved me more times then I could count in beatings and wrecks and injuries. When I impact or something strikes me, I just come apart in all directions like a poorly made scare crow. Energy is spread out over an area. One more then one occasion after what seemed like a truly horrific accident, with all my limbs spread out in ways God and Nature never intended, and on lookers hurling up the contents of their stomachs at the very sight of me I have pulled my self and all my pieces together to rise up mostly unharmed.

This has been the secret to surviving the very worst of beatings that I have taken, and the multitude of injuries. I have no explanation, other then I have always been like this as far back as I can remember as a kid. I can remember when I was very very little, there was this girl named Tiffany that would always pester me, so one day I twisted my back so my chest was facing behind me and then turned my head so I was looking ahead once more. I wobbled over to her and told her that I had fallen from a tree and that I didn't feel well. It took her a moment to realize that my torso was backwards... She could see the twisted skin of my neck. My belly button was behind me.

She screamed for hours.

Ah, sweet solitude.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
I've got the shoulder disconnection down, and I can easily break free from ropes/cuffs. And I can do that arm thing with the reach behind and hit shoulder... but that other stuff. *is in awe* Cool. :) I can't quite get my head all the way around, but I'm practicing. :lol: (Can only get it with the assistance of my hands... ruins the effect [and even then, it isn't quite all the way]). But I guess I'm just not as good as you about all this. You know what they say, "I must find a more suitable host body."
I am not reaching behind and hitting a shoulder.

I can take my left arm, pop it loose, reach around my back, reach under my right armpit, rest my left elbow in my right armpit, have my left forearm over my chest, and the tip of my left handed fingers touching my left shoulder after completely reaching around my body.

For some reason when I do this people clutch the hair on the sides of their head, moan, make strange noises, wince, and turn away.

I still can't figure out why... They ain't the one twisted into a pretzel.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Mar 28 2004, 12:24 AM Wrote:Top what?
Are you a robot? If not, you are probably a mutant and should join the X-Men.

Tell Wolverine I say " 'sup Logan"
I am merely a low grade freak.

Big difference between popping all your joints loose and true flexibility.

I have always envied those Chinese Acrobats/Contortionists. I once saw a woman and a man do a stunt called "The Honeymoon" where they both folded themselves into a typical sized suitcase. Or that crazy lady that can fold her self into a 16 inch by 16 inch cube. Strange people who can twist around and kiss their own ass... or worse!

I suffer from something called Fibromyalgia. I have lost a lot of my flexibility as of late. I can still do most things, but it actually takes effort now, something I never had to do before. And it hurts a lot more.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc sounds like the way to the future:

Car crash at 150 kilometres, no casualties. Medical help spent hours putting people back together. :P
A plague of exploding high-fives.