Nightmare The Pit
I know the pit in hell is supposed to be great for finding items, but what about in nightmare? Is it good for finding mid-level uniques and rares?

Looking for the experiences you guys/gals have had.
It's not that good in NM. Level 1 is level 39, while level 2 is level 40.

http://home.t-online.de/home/320071388834-...F_Guide_ENG.htm

/edit: For comparison, the Throne of Destruction is level 43 in normal.
Hmm, what about finding good (exceptional I suppose is the best you would find here) normal items that you could have Larzuk socket for rune words? Find many goodies here?
Quote:Hmm, what about finding good (exceptional I suppose is the best you would find here) normal items that you could have Larzuk socket for rune words? Find many goodies here?

No better than any other area lvl 39/40 area. The only reason at all that it is a great place in hell is due the the very high area lvl compared to the rest of hell (the high lvl allows leaders/champs to drop a few things that can't be dropped in most of the game). The nm version doesn't really have a big boost to area lvl at all, and as such is nearly worthless for mfing.

I suppose it's fairly safe compared to nm Baal runs, but you can get many elite base items as well as normal/exceptional doing nm baal runs. As well as getting decent xp up till around lvl 75 or so.

EDIT: Well, also the big draw to hell pit is that the monster types are much easier to kill compared to the monster types in many of the few area lvl 85 areas in the game. If you're really looking for a large # or normal/eceptional white items, a good place is the NM cow lvl or NM/hell act3 jungles. The huge # of relatively low hp monsters should grant a good sized amount of items.
And the base elites are good to socket with larzuk and then make rune words from them, like I say. What about running Izual and Threshsocket? Worthwhile?
Izual? Definately no. Thresh Socket? I believe he drops about the same as Eldritch or Shenk, and those two are much easier to get to. I normally just pop into Pindle's Garden to raise my skeletons, kill Pindleskin, then kill off Eldritch+Shenk. Must faster than trying to find Thresh Socket.
Interesting, I had no problem getting to Thresh, mind you this is just in normal. He was actually really close to the waypoint. I dont suppose he spawns in the same place in every game? Every difficulty?
Thresh Socket is always in the same place in 1.10: on the Arreat Plateau, guarding the entrance to the Crystalline Passage. It's not hard to find him. It can, however, be very time-consuming, since you might have to go through several rows of barricades. He's nowhere near as accessible as Eldritch and Shenk, or as Pindleskin if you still have the red portal.
True enough..

So Pindleskin guards the entrance when you go to fight Nihlathak right?

Where do you find Eldritch again?
The 2nd waypoint is right by Shenk and Eldritch. Eldritch is a frenzy ice spawn thingie that is in the Frigid Highlands. Walk north from the waypoint and you should see him.
Cool, thanks a lot.
The AC levels and number of sockets on items is way better in NM. but, I only got as far as the end of ActII before it got to rough. I went to the beggining of ActI on it. And, for some reason it got so bad that I was losing Experience points from dying faster than I could earn them!! :o

The worst where the Dung Beetles! Even with %80 Lightning Resistance. I hit one of the uniques 2 times and it's lightning it puts out when you hit it killed faster than I could pop a rejuve potion!

And, one of the Soul Eaters who regenrates the Skeletons has such a powerful poison breathe that he nearly emptied my lifebowl with one breathe even though I had a %90 Poison resistance and some heavy duty Life Replenish!

But, you will find way more of the higher socketed items and way better Armor with higher AC on them. And, I fould a few more in the way of Runes. And, with the exception of the Cube. You get to do the quests over again and get the same bonuses Again. :D

Warning. Everytime you switch from Normal to Nightmare. You lose any of the Automaps you've done and have to start those over again!!! Jim http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simthemedmain/
this can't be real...
JimBrownTx Wrote:The AC levels and number of sockets on items is way better in NM. but, I only got as far as the end of ActII before it got to rough. I went to the beggining of ActI on it. And, for some reason it got so bad that I was losing Experience points from dying faster than I could earn them!! 

The worst where the Dung Beetles! Even with %80 Lightning Resistance. I hit one of the uniques 2 times and it's lightning it puts out when you hit it killed faster than I could pop a rejuve potion!

And, one of the Soul Eaters who regenrates the Skeletons has such a powerful poison breathe that he nearly emptied my lifebowl with one breathe even though I had a %90 Poison resistance and some heavy duty Life Replenish!

But, you will find way more of the higher socketed items and way better Armor with higher AC on them. And, I fould a few more in the way of Runes. And, with the exception of the Cube. You get to do the quests over again and get the same bonuses Again. 

Warning. Everytime you switch from Normal to Nightmare. You lose any of the Automaps you've done and have to start those over again!!! Jim http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simthemedmain/

Yeah, I have recently started nightmare. I'm approaching the halfway point of act 1, currently clvl 42. I ideally want to save my imbues and sockets for elite items. I assume elites start dropping in act 1 hell?

My biggest problem right now is my light res... it is -10 with the nightmare penalty. :( When I get a light enchanted monster, I try to let my merc (normal a2 cold merc) take care of it from afar, along with my shadow master. Question about shadow master ... does/can she regenerate life, or does she have a set amount of hit points when summoned and dies when those are gone? Also, I'm noticing lately that she is dying, even though she is not fighting any monsters, and is not poisoned. Any ideas why?

Yeah, poison is a real pain. You may want to take some antidote potions with you when facing poison monsters.

Yeah, I'm noticing runes and gems dropping more often since starting nightmare. Curiously though, potions dont seem to drop as much. I'm sure it is just a coincidence though. Too bad you cant redo the Cube quest and fill your free inventory space with cubes, therefore getting more storage space.

I knew about the automap thing when switching difficulties, but if you say are in nightmare, then go to normal, and back to nightmare, I know you lose your maps, but are they rerolled? (i.e. is the map the same layout, or does it change?).

Chesspiece_face Wrote:this can't be real...

What cant be real?

P.S. Hope this multiquote works..
Quote:I assume elites start dropping in act 1 hell?

No. Some elites can start dropping as early as act 2 nightmare, or act 1 if you count the superuniques Smith and Griswold.

Quote:Question about shadow master ... does/can she regenerate life, or does she have a set amount of hit points when summoned and dies when those are gone?

She has a regeneration rate of 2, meaning she'll fully heal in 81.92 seconds, ignoring rounding.

Quote:I knew about the automap thing when switching difficulties, but if you say are in nightmare, then go to normal, and back to nightmare, I know you lose your maps, but are they rerolled? (i.e. is the map the same layout, or does it change?).

They are rerolled.

Quote:What cant be real?

This is the Lurker Lounge, one of the most knowledgeable Diablo 2 communities in existence. You really don't see that degree of utter cluelessness very often. The idea that someone could be lecturing Lurkers on how good nightmare is, compared to normal, after never having reached act 3 there is absurd. I think Chesspiece_face was implying that this meant this would be a troll, but, unfortunately, I fear it's quite genuine.
Actually, that makes sense, since I saw some exceptionals dropping in act 5 normal.

When you say fully heal in 81.92 seconds, is that for a lvl 1 master, or lvl 20?

Oh, so thats how you reroll the map. So obviously rerolling is not possible until you have at least beaten normal.

Still not sure what you meant about me (I assume from what you said that you were referring to me) LECTURING how good nightmare is compared to normal. I was not lecturing anyone, and I have racked my brain, and still am unable to determine how what I said could at all be interpreted that way. I am so sorry that I dont have 20 hours a day to play this game, but I think nonetheless I ask reasonably good questions that hopefully benefit others as well as myself. As much as I would LOVE to play 20 hours a day, I cant ... Why is that again... Oh yeah... I have a LIFE... I have a job, I have responsibilities, and I have priorities. So as good as this game is, and as addictive as it is, and as knowledgeable as MOST people here are, if people like Chesspiece_face are going to flame me, then I think that they really need to be dealt with. So, Chesspiece_face, if your simple post was not meant as a flame to me, please disregard this. If, however, it WAS intended that way, I only say get a life, and realize that not everyone spends their whole life playing..
Chesspiece_face was referring to JimBrownTx, not you.

As for your "get a life" argument, though <_<...
Fine, then if he wasnt referring to me, then I retract what I said.

But lets pretend he WAS referring to me for a second. What is wrong with my 'get a life' argument?
internetdotcom,Jun 12 2004, 08:55 PM Wrote:But lets pretend he WAS referring to me for a second.&nbsp; What is wrong with my 'get a life' argument?
It's petty, childish, and has no place on this forum. Silly playground retorts are not the way issues are resolved here.

It's also an ad hominem; it is an attack on a person's character, rather than their argument.
You don't know what you're talking about.
I was trying to prove a point, that being that I cant spend a lot of time playing. And I think I made my point, thank you. And if you really want to talk about what is childish, how about 'this cant be real...' . Seems pretty childish to me. Anyway, I'm getting off this topic, as I dont want to waste any more of yours or my time talking about it. If you have any feedback related to the game, I'm more than happy to discuss on it.