Nightmare The Pit
When in doubt to whom a message is addressed, check the threaded view.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
A much better way to prove any points you have to make is to provide supporting evidence for them. Claiming that someone needs to get a life does nothing to further your case. Neither does starting an argument and then running away from it. My time is my own to do with as I wish.

You appear to be quite good at raising the hackles of those who have been here longer than you. The people who criticise you are only trying to help you fit in here; it is your loss, not theirs, if you can't manage to do this.
You don't know what you're talking about.
LavCat,Jun 12 2004, 09:41 PM Wrote:When in doubt to whom a message is addressed, check the threaded view.
True enough.
lfd,Jun 12 2004, 10:09 PM Wrote:A much better way to prove any points you have to make is to provide supporting evidence for them.  Claiming that someone needs to get a life does nothing to further your case.  Neither does starting an argument and then running away from it.  My time is my own to do with as I wish.

You appear to be quite good at raising the hackles of those who have been here longer than you.  The people who criticise you are only trying to help you fit in here; it is your loss, not theirs, if you can't manage to do this.
I was the one who got flamed (or so I thought). I have no interest in getting into flame wars with anyone here, I have more important things to do with my time. And may I point out that the other poster didnt 'back up his claim' with his comment he made either. I dont flame people that are either newer to this forum and/or the game than I am (or anyone for that matter), and dont appreciate others doing it to me, thats all.
Quote:What is wrong with my 'get a life' argument?

To preface this, I'm not looking for an argument. I'm just going to answer your question.

Terry Pratchett (of Discworld fame) already gave a good answer about this in this interview:

Quote:The kind of people who say "get a life" typically don't have any life at all. You look at some guy with friends all over the world--no girlfriends, maybe, but still a full social life, mainly talking about computers--and you tell him to get a life ... well, he's got a life. We've all got lives. If people are having a lot of fun doing something different from what you want to do, well, that's not your business.

By saying "get a life," you're saying that what your own life more meaningful than that of those who are into D2. In essence, you're insulting the entire D2 community, saying that they're wasting their time with a stupid game while you have much better things to do.

This is also hypocrisy, since just becoming a regular at the LL indicates quite a lot of devotion to the game.

You're also making the assumption that no one else "has a life." This is false. I'd venture to say that most people here either have a job or are getting their education, or both. They don't just play D2 day in, day out.

However, with your argument, it seems you're assuming that they don't have a life simply because they know a lot about D2 (what other information do you have about their life?). In other words, having knowledge is a sign of "no life" and is thus a bad thing. Surely you see the problem with this reasoning.

So, the "get a life" argument really boils down to this:
1) See that someone knows a lot about something and is arrogant about this.
2) Say that the subject is meaningless.
3) Say that those who know a lot about the subject are obviously wasting their entire life on this.
4) Say that you have better things to do.
5) Assume a position of superiority because you don't know as much about the subject and thus haven't wasted your time on something like that.

It's a very petty and illogical argument.

Again, I'm not attacking you. I'm just answering your question and attacking your argument.
internetdotcom,Jun 13 2004, 02:23 AM Wrote:I was the one who got flamed (or so I thought).  I have no interest in getting into flame wars with anyone here, I have more important things to do with my time.  And may I point out that the other poster didnt 'back up his claim' with his comment he made either.
ok first of all nobody flamed you. you are the only person in this thread that did any flaming at all. All i did was point out the previous poster (who, at the time, appeared to be purposefully giving out bad information on, not only, this thread but a couple others.) should be taken with a grain of salt. Much of what that poster said didn't even have anything to do with the point of this thread.

As for not coming here to "back up my claim" i didn't feel like taking part in the hostility that you brought out. Now it appears that i have to clear things up. I still don't feel like i need to "back up my claim" for a few reasons. First off, i think my "claim" is completely apparant. Secondly, many other people have already come here to back that "claim" up. adeyke told you right off the bat what i was referring to and whom i was speaking about. even after that you were the one that made up a Hypothetical situation to continue your unbased argument.

"But lets pretend he WAS referring to me for a second."

I wasn't referring to you. If i had a problem with the questions you were asking and felt like flaming you i would have done it when you originally posted this days ago, or on one of your other posts.

Regarding the poster i was replying to: I mean no offense to you either. We all started this game in the same spot at one time. Coming on this board and giving advice and information when you have yet to fully grasp the gaming environment, however, is a bad way to start. The starting stages of playing any game is the time for Asking questions. Not, generally, Answering them. The name of this site isn't just a catchy name. Many of the people that come here have been doing so for years. Much of these users spend a majority of their time "Lurking" in the background, taking in information and not actually taking part in the official conversations. I'm fairly certain that Any question you may have regarding Diablo II has been thoroughly discussed somewhere on these boards. It's all out there, my recommendation to you (and any other new player) is to take some time reading some of the threads and filing the information to your memory. The fastest way to become an "expert" in this game is to frequent these boards. Like i said, the information is there, go get it.
(Getting back on topic here...)

Quote:When you say fully heal in 81.92 seconds, is that for a lvl 1 master, or lvl 20?

It's 81.92 seconds regardless of level. She gains a certain fraction of her max life each frame, so when she has a lot of life, she regenerates it quickly. It should always take 81.92 seconds to go from 0 to maximum. In practice, though, there are rounding issues, so it takes a bit longer than that. A low-life shadow master will be more affected by this rounding than a high-life one.

Quote:Oh, so thats how you reroll the map. So obviously rerolling is not possible until you have at least beaten normal.

Actually, hosting a TCP/IP game will also reroll the map. So those characters can, too.
Quote:íIt should always take 81.92 seconds to go from 0 to maximum.
I sort of thought that she can get items with replenish life mods... can's she?
adeyke Wrote:By saying "get a life," you're saying that what your
own life more meaningful than that of those who are
into D2. In essence, you're insulting the entire D2
community, saying that they're wasting their time with
a stupid game while you have much better things to do.

This is also hypocrisy, since just becoming a regular
at the LL indicates quite a lot of devotion to the
game.

You're also making the assumption that no one else
"has a life." This is false. I'd venture to say that
most people here either have a job or are getting
their education, or both. They don't just play D2 day
in, day out.

However, with your argument, it seems you're assuming
that they don't have a life simply because they know a
lot about D2 (what other information do you have about
their life?). In other words, having knowledge is a
sign of "no life" and is thus a bad thing. Surely you
see the problem with this reasoning.

So, the "get a life" argument really boils down to
this:
1) See that someone knows a lot about something and is
arrogant about this.
2) Say that the subject is meaningless.
3) Say that those who know a lot about the subject are
obviously wasting their entire life on this.
4) Say that you have better things to do.
5) Assume a position of superiority because you don't
know as much about the subject and thus haven't wasted
your time on something like that.

It's a very petty and illogical argument.

Again, I'm not attacking you. I'm just answering your
question and attacking your argument.

I'm not saying that at all. You seem to be reading a lot into 3 little words. I too am very much into D2, I just have a lot

less time to play it than most other people. I have said on more than one occasion how much I love this game. And if I

wasnt into this game, why am I on this forum at all, let alone posting as much as I do to it? I love D2, and would play it

full time if I could, but unfortunately that is not an option.

I'm not making assumptions about anyone's life, but you seem to be making a lot of assumptions about me personally. I dont

assume that these people 'play D2 day in, day out' , I was simply stating how little free time I have available for the game.

I was in no way insulting anyone that does have more time to play it at all.

Further, you were saying that I was making statements about the whole D2 community, when it is pretty obvious that they were

directed at one individual poster. And when I found out that his/her comments were not directed at me, I retracted them. So

I really dont know why you are making all these assumptions about me, or what your problem with me is.

Also, that poster did not demonstrate ANY D2 knowledge by saying 'this cant be real...' at all. Surely there are people

here, such as yourself, with a lot of D2 knowledge, but I realize its very possible to know a lot about the game and still

have a life. I do see a problem with the reasoning as you interpreted it, but the problem is that it was not interpreted at

all close to how it was intended.

Chesspiece_face Wrote:ok first of all nobody flamed you. you are the only
person in this thread that did any flaming at all. All
i did was point out the previous poster (who, at the
time, appeared to be purposefully giving out bad
information on, not only, this thread but a couple
others.) should be taken with a grain of salt. Much of
what that poster said didn't even have anything to do
with the point of this thread.

As for not coming here to "back up my claim" i didn't
feel like taking part in the hostility that you
brought out. Now it appears that i have to clear
things up. I still don't feel like i need to "back up
my claim" for a few reasons. First off, i think my
"claim" is completely apparant. Secondly, many other
people have already come here to back that "claim" up.
adeyke told you right off the bat what i was referring
to and whom i was speaking about. even after that you
were the one that made up a Hypothetical situation to
continue your unbased argument.

"But lets pretend he WAS referring to me for a
second."

I wasn't referring to you. If i had a problem with the
questions you were asking and felt like flaming you i
would have done it when you originally posted this
days ago, or on one of your other posts.

Regarding the poster i was replying to: I mean no
offense to you either. We all started this game in the
same spot at one time. Coming on this board and giving
advice and information when you have yet to fully
grasp the gaming environment, however, is a bad way to
start. The starting stages of playing any game is the
time for Asking questions. Not, generally, Answering
them. The name of this site isn't just a catchy name.
Many of the people that come here have been doing so
for years. Much of these users spend a majority of
their time "Lurking" in the background, taking in
information and not actually taking part in the
official conversations. I'm fairly certain that Any
question you may have regarding Diablo II has been
thoroughly discussed somewhere on these boards. It's
all out there, my recommendation to you (and any other
new player) is to take some time reading some of the
threads and filing the information to your memory. The
fastest way to become an "expert" in this game is to
frequent these boards. Like i said, the information is
there, go get it.

As for this whole issue between us, I am willing to drop it, as it was not (as it turns out) directed at me initially.

Obviously this forum is intended to share D2 information, and thats all I want to use it for. I have no problem with you,

adeyke, or anyone else on here. If you were here physically, I would offer a handshake as a peace offering. As it is, I

just say that we both drop it, and move on, and talk about this incredible game known as Diablo 2. Peace, my fellow gamer.

:)

adeyke Wrote:It's 81.92 seconds regardless of level. She gains a
certain fraction of her max life each frame, so when
she has a lot of life, she regenerates it quickly. It
should always take 81.92 seconds to go from 0 to
maximum. In practice, though, there are rounding
issues, so it takes a bit longer than that. A low-life
shadow master will be more affected by this rounding
than a high-life one.

So its safe to say that regardless of her level, she will go from (almost) 0 life to full within 90 seconds? Cool. I would

think that when you have a high-level SM, it may be more economical to let her regen her life after a big battle, rather than

expend the huge amount of mana to recast her, in the field anyway.

adeyke Wrote:Actually, hosting a TCP/IP game will also reroll the
map. So those characters can, too.

Good to know, so if you get ambushed, just reroll. How often do you find yourself rerolling?

Caaroid Wrote:I sort of thought that she can get items with
replenish life mods... can's she?

Yeah, if anyone has a link listing her abilities at a given level (beyond life, resistances, etc.) and what skills she can

use and at what level, that would be great. I used to have a link to this, but seem to have lost it.
Quote:I sort of thought that she can get items with replenish life mods... can's she?

Sure. It's just that they're insignificant.

Suppose you have a slvl 20 shadow master. That's 1447 life. Her natural regeneration rate is thus about 18 life per second.

The highest amount of replenish life gear she can get from her slvl 20 equipment would be about:
Amulet: +10
Ring: +9
Other ring: +9
Weapon: +5
Other weapon: +5
Gloves: +5
Headgear: +10
Body armour: +5

So if she had all the perfect replenish life gear, she'd have about +58. That's about 5.7 life per second.

So with all that gear, it'd take about 62 seconds to fully heal. If she doesn't have all the perfect gear, it will reduce the time even less.
Whats the formula for life replenish? I assume its the same for the shadow master as for any other character?
Replenish life +X means you gain X/256 of a life per frame. This is a bit less than X/10 life per second.
Oh, ok. Do you have any natural life replenish, like you have mana replenish? I thought you did have some (just very low)
Characters don't regenerate life naturally.
Oh, ok. Thanks.