Chainreaction with IM + thorns-aura
;) I went to the cowlevel a day with my necro. It was a singleplayer-game and I'd switched the "players7-mode" on, so I would get more XP. Then it do take a lot of time to kill a cow, even when your bloodgolem are helped by IronMaiden (IM).

There came a boss with the thorns-aura. Usually an aura will make it harder to kill an enemy, but the thorns-aura is a-positive-enemy-aura-to-the-necromancer. All the cows around the boss got the thorns-aura too, and when they got IM'ed and they where attacking the golem the damage they did where returned to themselves, that damage where returned to the golem and that damage where returned to them, and so on... A great chainreaction.

Then the cows got killed killed faster than you can say "we eat what we can, but what we can't we can"
*Sadaeer*,Jun 14 2004, 12:04 PM Wrote:There came a boss with the thorns-aura.
Monsters can't spawn with thorns as an aura. This has been the case since game release, although it was possible back in the original D2 beta.

I suspect the aura they spawned with was might; this would've increased the damage the cows did, and therefore increased the damage that was returned to them.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Might
Thorns
Holy Fire

All initially looked alike to me, as they all have swirly yellow lines as their graphic.

Some help Identifing them:

Holy Fire will only ever be under the feet of the person/critter using it. It doesn't ever 'graphic' anything other than the user.

As mentioned, monsters cant use thorns. But think if they could, I think it would rank right up there with Lightning enchanted. oooo Lightning Enchanted, Thorns Aura, (plus pretty much anything else). There would be no hope of a meleer killing it. Thorns is also the "most swirly" of the 3, if that helps any.

Might, This is what you had, it increases monsters damage, and as you found out, good combo with IM. Very few if any Paladins actually use this skill (that I've seen anyway), they may use it until they get something better (about 5 character levels), but other than that you'll usually only see it on monsters.

Hope this helps.
Quote:Very few if any Paladins actually use this skill (that I've seen anyway), they may use it until they get something better (about 5 character levels), but other than that you'll usually only see it on monsters.

I suspect you might also see it on act2 NM mercs often. Many of my characters use might mercs to bolster their physical damage.
Thorns and iron maiden probably wouldn't start a chain reaction because it would go on forever. Say something with thorns attacks and has iron maiden on it. Because of IM, the damage gets reflected back to the attacker, thorns sends it back to the defender, iron maiden sends it back, thorns, IM, etc. Someone could tests this with a thorns paladin in the chaos sanctuary, since I'm just guessing on it and haven't actually used IM and Thorns together.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Doesn't work. Neither of them reflect reflected damage.