shadow master/warrior slvl, caps, etc.
Hey all,

I know this is probably an overdone topic, but a few questions about SM/SW :

1) Are they subject to the 50% PDR that characters are?

2) Are they capped at 75% resistance, or can they go above this with Fade?

3) What do you all recommend (SM or SW) for a MA-based assassin, specializing in pheonix strike? Which is better when maxed, and why?

Thanks once again for your help.
http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...showtopic=45911

FYI, for the most part, the same people post here that do at the Amazon Basin.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
I am aware of that. And you DO realize you linked me to my own post I hope... And although there are a lot of the same posters, there are a lot that arent the same either...
I think Wyrm was just pointing out to everyone that many of your answers, and follow up questions, have already been disccused or answered in the amazon basin.

-Munk
internetdotcom,Jun 21 2004, 09:24 PM Wrote:I am aware of that.  And you DO realize you linked me to my own post I hope... And although there are a lot of the same posters, there are a lot that arent the same either...
That was the reason I linked you to it. It's pointless to make duplicate topics on both sites. While there are some people that only post on one site and not the other, it's a very small number. You'll wind up getting the same responses.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
But the ones that are most eligible to correctly answer your questions ARE members of both forums.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Was about to add something along those lines, but more of a "Yeah, but that 2% that doesn't read both forums? We have nothing constructive to say."
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Look, I'm really getting tired of having to defend myself here. I seriously doubt that the number of posters here that dont also post on AB is limited at 2%, and certainly not that are significant contributers to the topics/questions that I have posted. I have seen maybe one poster that has significantly contributed to my posts on both forums, that being adeyke. Other than him, I see different names here than on AB..

If anyone wants to post me an official listing of the posters on both forums that backs up that 2% claim, then I will happily eat my words. Until then, I will not defend myself further, as it is not needed. I have done nothing wrong.
Simple solution: Post your questions on the basin. If no one replies within 24 hours, post here.

No one gripes about double posts and you don't have to defend yourself.

Everyone dies happy.
Well, it might be that Lurking Loungers don't want duplicate threads here--in which case, it seems courteous to concede to their wishes. It is tough to tell what the consensus is though, just from the replies of a few people. I think the thing to do probably, is to make a relaxed, polite, non-defensive enquiry to Griselda about the issue, and then do as suggested.

edit--
Quote:Everyone dies happy.

Oooo....let's hope so!
Quote:If anyone wants to post me an official listing of the posters on both forums that backs up that 2% claim, then I will happily eat my words.

On a similar note, the 'one significant contributor to posts on both forums' needs some backing up as well.
Why would adeyke need 'backing up' ? I have never said one negative word about/to him..
internetdotcom,Jun 22 2004, 09:27 PM Wrote:Why would adeyke need 'backing up' ?  I have never said one negative word about/to him..
actually i believe in one of your previous posts adeyke him/herself brought up the point that you were cross-posting on both boards and that it was unneccisary and uneffectual.

adeyke Wrote:You know, there's really no need to post the exact same things at the same time here and at the AB. If one place is stumped, it's okay. However, you got a response to both of your posts in less than an hour. So one or the other was entirely superfluous.

in my personal opinion if you are looking for other people's input on a topic you are better off posting on the AB. they seem to get much more vocal traffic whereas this site is a much better archive of "hard" data.
I'm not talking about who that phrase is referring to. I'm talking about the phrase itself.
internetdotcom,Jun 22 2004, 02:38 PM Wrote:Look, I'm really getting tired of having to defend myself here.
There's no reason to have to get defensive. No one is attacking you!

As far as the 2% thing goes, I'm sure you know it was just a number chosen 'out of the blue' to illustrate the point that the lounge and the basin share many of the same posters.

This post is decaying into absolute idiocy (and this is not a point at anyone in particular). So let's end the bickering, and like Rinnhart said, post on one forum first, and if answers aren't there, post on the other. Then everyone is happy. :)

-Munk
internetdotcom,Jun 22 2004, 02:38 PM Wrote:Other than him, I see different names here than on AB.
You have to realize that while most Loungers have the same name over at the AB (assuming that they're members in both places), there are some that changed it for whatever reason.

Anyway, the issue was touched upon by adeyke in another thread in that technical questions are generally answered by people that frequent both boards (usually adeyke and Ruvanal before WoW took a lot of his time). I know that Tommi, brianc84, and other well-known tech gurus frequent both boards. Yes or no questions or those that come about from digging around the mpq's can be answered in one spot, since there's really no other variation on the answer. Stategy questions of course could and should be cross posted to get as much input as possible. For example, your first 2 questions in this thread are pretty much yes or no, especially with the way you word them. Your third one, on the other hand, is one that can have many different answers.

Think of it this way: You go to a science conference where there are a handful of experts present and you ask some yes or no questions and they all give you the same answers. Now, 2 days later, you ask the same questions at a different conference that has thousands of people present, among them 90% of the experts from the first conference. Did the answers change? While you might consider it as confirming your findings, there isn't a need to do that when the question and answer are both straightforward. Now, if you asked an ethics question or a how-to question, then that's a whole other kettle of fish. It boils down to fact vs. opinion. One answer vs. many.

By the way, please don't take all of the posts here as picking on you or singling you out. I like the fact that you're really enthusiastic and are interested in learning about the game, but you should be aware that doing this can eat up resources on both sites. I know that was a problem a few months ago here when Slashdot linked to MongoJerry's thread and the LL host shut down for a bit. As far as the AB, while I don't think bandwidth is a problem there, the servers and the tech team probably wouldn't mind a little break now and then. ;)

That said, I like Rinnhart's suggestion and hope you stick around here. :)
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Chesspiece_face Wrote:actually i believe in one of your previous posts adeyke him/herself
brought up the point that you were cross-posting on both

boards and that it was unneccisary and uneffectual.
Yes he/she did say that, but I hardly think that 'backup' is required for him/her.

Munkay Wrote:There's no reason to have to get defensive. No one is attacking you!

As far as the 2% thing goes, I'm sure you know it was just a number
chosen 'out of the blue' to illustrate the point that the

lounge and the basin share many of the same posters.

This post is decaying into absolute idiocy (and this is not a point at
anyone in particular). So let's end the bickering, and

like Rinnhart said, post on one forum first, and if answers aren't
there, post on the other. Then everyone is happy.

-Munk
I appreciate you saying that. It sure felt like I was being attacked, but thats neither here nor there, I'm willing to forget about it. I figured that the 2% was an exaggeration, but still took exception to it. If many of the posters are the same but use different names, I clearly would not know that. I see a different name, I think a different person, but maybe that's just me..

Agreed that this post is decaying, I'd like to keep it to what it was intended for, that is to talk about this great game. Amen to ending the bickering, lets call a truce right now. If it were physically possible, I would shake all your hands and end this. :)

I can see some validity to what you guys are saying, but I hope you see my point as well.

Striker Wrote:You have to realize that while most Loungers have the same name over at
the AB (assuming that they're members in both

places), there are some that changed it for whatever reason.

Anyway, the issue was touched upon by adeyke in another thread in that
technical questions are generally answered by people

that frequent both boards (usually adeyke and Ruvanal before WoW took a
lot of his time). I know that Tommi, brianc84, and

other well-known tech gurus frequent both boards. Yes or no questions
or
those that come about from digging around the mpq's

can be answered in one spot, since there's really no other variation on
the answer. Stategy questions of course could and

should be cross posted to get as much input as possible. For example,
your first 2 questions in this thread are pretty much

yes or no, especially with the way you word them. Your third one, on
the
other hand, is one that can have many different

answers.

Think of it this way: You go to a science conference where there are a
handful of experts present and you ask some yes or no

questions and they all give you the same answers. Now, 2 days later,
you
ask the same questions at a different conference

that has thousands of people present, among them 90% of the experts
from
the first conference. Did the answers change? While

you might consider it as confirming your findings, there isn't a need
to
do that when the question and answer are both

straightforward. Now, if you asked an ethics question or a how-to
question, then that's a whole other kettle of fish. It

boils down to fact vs. opinion. One answer vs. many.

By the way, please don't take all of the posts here as picking on you
or
singling you out. I like the fact that you're really

enthusiastic and are interested in learning about the game, but you
should be aware that doing this can eat up resources on

both sites. I know that was a problem a few months ago here when
Slashdot linked to MongoJerry's thread and the LL host shut

down for a bit. As far as the AB, while I don't think bandwidth is a
problem there, the servers and the tech team probably

wouldn't mind a little break now and then.

That said, I like Rinnhart's suggestion and hope you stick around here.

I suppose I can agree with what you said. Interesting analogy, by the way.. 'Enthusiasm' probably isnt the right word to describe my feeling toward this game.... I think 'obsessed' is probably closer to the truth! ;) Especially now that I have taken a character further than I ever have. My assassin is currently level 51, about 1/2 way to 52, still has a lot of stat and skill points saved, and is still going relatively strong in NM act 2. I know thats a pretty modest level for most longtime players, but I have never had the patience to level a character this high and stick with him/her for this long before. And it doesnt hurt that I'm finally starting to find some decent uniques, to either use on my character/merc, or to use as trade bait. The other night, for the first time ever, I found a Skin of the Vipermaji. Pretty good one too, 31 all resists. Would have preferred 35, but will take this. :)

Speaking of trade bait, since I play single player, how is trading usually done? Is it as simple as creating a mule and putting the item(s) you are trading on that mule and emailing it to your trade partner?

In your experiences SP trading, does it commonly happen that the other person doesnt hold up their end of the bargain and not send their items? I would think that SP trading would have to operate on the honour system, since you cant both click 'accept' to a trade like on the realms.

Is it common practice to destroy/get rid of an item once trading it in SP? Because if you email an item(s) to someone, you are essentially duping it/them , since you still have the original, and the other person gets a copy of it.

If you do keep the item after sending it to the other person, is it generally frowned upon, or considered bad practice, or even cheating?

Thanks for your replies, and again, lets call a truce. :)
Quote:Amen to ending the bickering, lets call a truce right now.

Ending the bickering is good... and in the spirit of not bickering, can I make another useful suggestion? You don't need to quote the entirety of someone else's post when replying, just the salient points, or the bits that you're directly addressing :)

Quote:Since I play single player, how is trading usually done?

If you're going the mailing route, I imagine there's probably some useful features of ATMA that could be used to this end, i.e. creating a stash file with just the item you are 'trading' in it, and mailing that. ATMA automatically moves rather than copies items when you do this, as far as I know.

However, an easier way would be to use an open battle.net game to do so. I wouldn't recommend looking for games or people to trade with on OBN - the Single Player forum over at diabloii.net may be the best place to look, or to ask them how they do it.
You don't know what you're talking about.
Ifd Wrote:You don't need to quote the entirety of someone else's post when replying, just the salient points, or the bits that you're directly addressing

Done. :)

Ifd Wrote:I wouldn't recommend looking for games or people to trade with on OBN
Agreed. However, I think I will go the e-mail route, as I tend to stay away from battle.net like the plague. LOL

InternetDotCom Wrote:In your experiences SP trading, does it commonly happen that the other person doesnt hold up their end of the bargain and not send their items? I would think that SP trading would have to operate on the honour system, since you cant both click 'accept' to a trade like on the realms.

Is it common practice to destroy/get rid of an item once trading it in SP? Because if you email an item(s) to someone, you are essentially duping it/them , since you still have the original, and the other person gets a copy of it.

If you do keep the item after sending it to the other person, is it generally frowned upon, or considered bad practice, or even cheating?

I appreciate your reply Ifd, do you happen to know the answers to these questions? I know that ATMA moves items and not copies them, but if you mail a mule/stash to someone, you still have a copy of it on your hard drive though.

Along the trading line of thought, 2 questions as well :

1) What could a reasonably good skin of the vipermagi net me in a trade that would be beneficial to a MA/SD assassin?

2) Do you know of a reference or site where I could find generally accepted trade values of various items? I'm not a newbie to the game, but I am to trading, and what is worth what.

Thanks.
Quote:Do you know of a reference or site where I could find generally accepted trade values of various items? I'm not a newbie to the game, but I am to trading, and what is worth what.

Trade values vary so much any website that's ever attempted to be a "reference" is immediately dated.