shadow master/warrior slvl, caps, etc.
Yeah, you're probably right. So, what do you think I could currently get for my assassin in exchange for my skin of the vipermagi? Anything of value?
Not intending any unpleasantness, I should add that trading or item evaluation questions here, of any sort, are frowned upon. I believe that is true also of the basin.

Edit: added word "item" for clarity.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Okay.... but why is that exactly?
Hi,

Generally everything is frowned upon here what makes the game easier. These are the players that want a difficult game, ok? ;)
Be it cheating, hacking, using of 3rd party progs (with some exceptions), botting, duping, rushing bosses or rushing characters, twinking or even a built that is rather easy = a cookie cutter, and also trading.
While I think it's perfectly ok to at least trade a little to improve your char, and do the occasional twink here and there, I believe that people here are just fed up with new forum users coming in and yelling like 'I got perfect XY, what can I get for it?' and spamming the fora with trading questions. Originally what was bad about trading was that the currency consisted of (mainly duped) stone of jordans. I don't know if that's still the case, but in singleplayer, that shouldn't be a problem.
So I hope this helps to understand why people's hackle erects when they hear the words 'trading', 'worth' and 'what can I get for'.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Thank you for the feedback.

I too do not advocate cheating in any way, as if I'm going to beat the game, I want it to be 100% legit. I dont personally have a problem with trading, as the items you are trading for are still come by honestly, as you are trading legit items for them. Technically, ATMA is a 3rd party program, but no one here seems to have a problem with it (neither do I) as it doesnt make the game easier, and is not a cheat. If talking trades and 'what can I get for this' is frowned on on here, thats fine, I wont do it. But where can I do this? Do you know of a forum where SP trading is discussed freely?
internetdotcom,Jun 24 2004, 05:07 AM Wrote:Technically, ATMA is a 3rd party program, but no one here seems to have a problem with it (neither do I) as it doesnt make the game easier, and is not a cheat.
The way I see it is that ATMA and FoxBat's Lag Reducer help to boost people from a 'lower' level of a playing field to one that matches an average (non-cheating) closed B.net player. ATMA, aside from the drop calculator and such, provides muling access without resorting to LAN or open B.net. While every closed B.net player might not actually mule items, the fact that they can do it could be considered an 'advantage' over the single player. ATMA helps to even this out. FoxBat's program allows people without access to 'superperformance' computers to run the program without lagging behind which also evens out the playing field. I believe this is the key to why these programs aren't considered cheats; they don't raise a player above a typical (non-cheating) one, but rather they lift up those that could technically be considered below average.

Maphack and programs like it, on the other hand, give people an outright advantage. They give abilites that are above and beyond what's listed on the box that the game came in. This is why those programs are frowned upon here (and with good reason).

Quote:If talking trades and 'what can I get for this' is frowned on on here, thats fine, I wont do it.  But where can I do this?  Do you know of a forum where SP trading is discussed freely?
You could try dii.net's Single Player forum (a link can be found on the left side of the page I linked to). I don't know for sure if they allow trading discussions there or if you would be directed to their trading forums, but that's a good place to start.
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
From the Etiquette link at the top of the page:

Quote:9) Please take all trading posts to www.diabloii.net - we do not evaluate or trade items on these forums. Post at your own risk: you'll get at least a dozen flames before it is nuked!

If my son had asked "why?" I would have replied "Because Elric said so and Bolty appointed Elric as moderator and it is Bolty's house." I think the reasoning has to do with not wishing to attract a certain class of clientele. That, and a number of us don't really want to see threads cluttered with such questions.

There was a very long, serious, and well reasoned thread on the trading question here some while ago, but unfortunately with this forum software the search button does not work as well as that for etiquette.

I won't presume to speak for the basin's motivation -- though I suspect that it is similar. Certainly there are basin moderators that hang out here occasionally (even when the basin server is not down) who could reply were they so moved.

Or you could do a small experiment: post a question about trading on each of the basin forums (include the blue boards too). Tabulate and analyze the responses, with appropriate statistics. Report back in the Workshop.
Not/The-obvious-abbreviation.
Striker Wrote:The way I see it is that ATMA and FoxBat's Lag Reducer help to boost people from a 'lower' level of a playing field to one that matches an average (non-cheating) closed B.net player.
I agree totally.

Striker Wrote:Maphack and programs like it, on the other hand, give people an outright advantage. They give abilites that are above and beyond what's listed on the box that the game came in. This is why those programs are frowned upon here (and with good reason).
Not that I intend to use it at all, but isnt maphack a program that auto-fills in automaps before the area is cleared, and highlights monsters?

LavCat Wrote:If my son had asked "why?" I would have replied "Because Elric said so and Bolty appointed Elric as moderator and it is Bolty's house." I think the reasoning has to do with not wishing to attract a certain class of clientele. That, and a number of us don't really want to see threads cluttered with such questions.

There was a very long, serious, and well reasoned thread on the trading question here some while ago, but unfortunately with this forum software the search button does not work as well as that for etiquette.

I won't presume to speak for the basin's motivation -- though I suspect that it is similar. Certainly there are basin moderators that hang out here occasionally (even when the basin server is not down) who could reply were they so moved.
Peace. No trading posts will come from me here.
Here are a couple of links that may assist you regarding your trading queries:

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=192819 This is estimated USEast trade values. some of it is out of date based on the recent increase of SoJ botters.

http://www.rpgforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=25 This is a general trade value forum. any value questions you have may be answered here. although it may take awhile for response.

http://www.rpgforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3 This is an all purpose Single player thread. Trading is supported as well as player matchups and value questions.
Thanks for the links, I will check them out.