Question about Sockets
Hi,
I have a question concerning Magic/Rare items. Is it possible for a magic or rare item to drop with sockets without the prefixes mechanic's or jeweller's? For instance, a Colossus Blade can technically have up to 6 sockets. Is it possible for a Cruel Colossus Blade of Quickness to drop with 6 sockets? Thanks in advance for any help or advice given.

-Yeoman
No. Magic items can only initially have sockets from the Jeweler's/Artisan's/Mechanic's prefixes. Rare items can only initially have sockets from the Mechanic's prefix.
Thanks very much for the help adeyke. Man, if a CCBQ could have 6 sockets, it could be socketed with 6 Ohm runes! That would be (assuming the stats of the CCBQ are perfect) +600% enhanced dmg!!! Talk about godly :o
There is a reason they can't spawn like that :P
Magic Items also have a cap of 2 (or is it 3? I can't remember which...) sockets when you don't have the prefixes (when socketed via Larzuk), rares have a cap of 1.
Also be aware that you cannot make a runeword with an item that that has sockets from an affix such as mechanics, jewelers or artisans affixes. Also Uniques that have sockets built in cannot be enhanced with a runeword. You will get the rune bonuses but not the runeWORD bonuses.

Oomph-aak
thanks for all the info guys, yeah don't worry Oomph-aak, I learned that the hard way :blink:
It's 2,with a chance of only being 1.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
had you burnt through vast quantities of chippies back in 1.09 you could have made one with 3 sockets, but no runewords (funny, 'iint? we all want 1.10 and when we get it we get annoyed because out favourite cube recipies are taken away).

I want to know why Blizz thinks it necessary to stop me socketing a cruel collossus blade of quickness with silence.

-Bob
Quote:I want to know why Blizz thinks it necessary to stop me socketing a cruel collossus blade of quickness with silence.

Sentences that make the devs go "aaaaaaagggghh"
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Bob,Jul 6 2004, 08:10 PM Wrote:had you burnt through vast quantities of chippies back in 1.09 you could have made one with 3 sockets, but no runewords (funny, 'iint? we all want 1.10 and when we get it we get annoyed because out favourite cube recipies are taken away).

I want to know why Blizz thinks it necessary to stop me socketing a cruel collossus blade of quickness with silence.

-Bob
I'm guessing it's because if you were a Barb, think of the damage you'd do with maxed Berserk. You'd be able to kill Hell Baal in about 6 swings!!! :o
wutsup, i dont know about that, but i do know that if you want something to be filled with as many socets as possible, put in a cube, the item, and soj, and a scroll of town portal, transfuse, and your item will have full socets
I can't tell if you're trying to be funny (and failing), trying to fool people (and failing), talking about a mod, or clueless.
My personal guess is option (d), but I'd also wager heavily on all of the above.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"