Area item levels
The +40 life mod on a GC needs alvl 91 to spawn, which simply means ilvl 91+ for GCs.
ilvl 91+ is hard to find these days. In 1.09, Pindle and any other boss monster through most of Hell could drop these so they were plentiful. But now with the new system there are no randomly generated monsters with level that high. However, Baal (99) is not your only choice - Diablo (94) and Nihlathak (95) are also sources for suitable GCs.

There is also a set of SC affixes that only a few monsters can drop. The following list gives the affix, the alvl to spawn that on SCs, and in parentheses, the minimum ilvl to get that alvl.

Jagged 81 (90)
of Craftsmanship 85 (92)
Pestilent 88 (94)
Flaming 89 (94)
Red 90 (95)
Shocking 90 (95)
Hibernal 91 (95)

Diablo can drop up to Flaming, but only Nihlathak and Baal can drop the top 3.
Pestilent is the mod that can give the huge poison damage of which you speak. By itself it is only 175 over 6 seconds, but when you get dual poison mods on one charm the numbers can really climb. The highest possible is Pestilent of Anthrax, which is 451 over 12 seconds.

These are the only mods that require ilvl above 85, which you can get from many places.
"Thank you. We always have a shortage of unfounded opinions, so this will really help us. " - adeyke
Thrugg,Aug 9 2004, 01:40 PM Wrote:The +40 life mod on a GC needs alvl 91 to spawn, which simply means ilvl 91+ for GCs.
ilvl 91+ is hard to find these days.  In 1.09, Pindle and any other boss monster through most of Hell could drop these so they were plentiful.
This explains why my nonladder chars have such stellar charms in comparision to the general crap my ladder chars have. Thanks for the explaination Thrugg.

Cheers,

Munk
And all the duping..... ^_^ <_<
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
Ahh Thanks a lot folks , makes things a lot clearer , cheers .

Take care .
Take care
The of vita suffix with +(41-45) to Life has an alvl 91

This means req ilvl = (alvl + 99) / 2 = 95

The only monsters with this lvl is :
95 : Lister The Tormentor[Hell]
96 : Bartuc The Bloody[Hell]
96 : Ventor the Unholy[Hell]
99 : Baal[Hell]

The problem with the first 3 is that they are never alone, so it can be hard to verify that the charm is REALY from them.

Therefore hell baal grand charms is considered the only gc's that you can get MORE than 40 life on.

The data above is colleted from http://www.d2data.net/main.html, hopefully its correct :)
Aren't Baal's Minions capped at level 88 because of the area level (85 + 3 for boss)?
The d2data.net site is wrong, as it doesn't take into account the mlvl scaling in nightmare and hell. You should listen to Thrugg; he knows what he's talking about :).
devzero, aside from d2data's mlvls being wrong for those guys, you are also applying the wrong branch of the alvl calculation there.
The ilvl = (alvl + 99)/2 is only used if the target alvl is more than (99-qlvl) for that item. The qlvl of small charms is 28 so this applies to quite a few SC mods (alvl 71+). But the qlvl of GCs is only 1, so you never use that branch for GC mods. Instead, you use the other formula branch, ilvl = alvl + (qlvl/2), which for GCs is just ilvl=alvl.

However, you did correct one error, the mod with alvl 91 is the +(41-45) life one, you can get +40 life with an ilvl 77+ GC.
"Thank you. We always have a shortage of unfounded opinions, so this will really help us. " - adeyke
Thrugg,Jul 30 2004, 05:04 PM Wrote:Next, determining the ilvl you need from the alvl you want.&nbsp; The short answer is look here, however that is a bit dry for most people.&nbsp; Basically the game works out the alvl of an item when it spawns from its ilvl and its qlvl (quality level, associated with the base item - you can also see those listed on d2data if you look around under Base Items).&nbsp; Once it works out the item's alvl then it randomly picks from all possible affixes with alvl less than or equal to the item's alvl.

Now, the alvl algorithm has a few twists to it...
Twists indeed.

I'm often intertested in cases where the base items qlvl is the driving force in determining alvl; i.e. ilvl < qlvl so ilvl is "set" to qlvl.

In plain terms, if you're imbuing or rerolling an item and have poor ilvl to work with, if your base item has enough qlvl mojo then you can potentially still get some desirable affixes.

For this concept a key breakpoint is qlvl 66. At qlvl 65 (and below) we're using one "branch" of the code to compute the alvl, ramping up to alvl 33 (remember I'm only concerned here with "low" ilvl items, where the base's qlvl is what matters). At 66 and above we're using the other "branch" of the code, starting at alvl 33 and picking up 2 points of alvl for each bump in qlvl above that.

So if I have my sights set on Cruel for my rare weenie imbue, needing affix level of at least 56 (which I looked up on d2data), I can see that is 23 points beyond 66:33 breakpoint (qlvl:alvl) and so, needing one qlvl per 2 points, I can readily see I need qlvl 66+12 or 78 at a minimum. Knowing that, it is really very easy to scan base items at a site like d2data.net to see which qualify for what. I can then happily snap up white base items from cow and pindle runs (e.g. elites from hell), etc., that I know are "valuable" in this regard.

Knowing how this stuff works, I'm disappointed that Wirt's Leg was not given a high qlvl (it has 0) because then the socketed weapon reroll or imbue could easily make it into a fun to fine weapon (depending on how high that qlvl was).

I remember in v1.10 beta that the upgrade (normal to exceptional) recipe would work on quest uniques, but I don't remember trying the upgrade of a rare (i.e. imbued) Wirt's Leg... the uniques ended up being Hatchets, btw, a presumably harmless bug. If you gave Wirt's Leg qlvl in a mod, you'd no doubt also want to establish a real upgrade path for it.

Last time I checked, even a runeword recipe that "should have worked" in Wirt's Leg failed. Pity. Ought to be a special one just for it, imo.
"He's got demons? Cool!" -- Gonzo, Muppet Treasure Island

"Proto-matter... an unstable substance which every ethical scientist in the galaxy has denounced as dangerously unpredictable." -- Saavik, Star Trek III

"Mom! Dad! It's evil! Don't touch it!" -- Kevin, Time Bandits
Forgive me here, as Im not very good at following all these forumlas and rules and such. But, how is it possible to get the of vita (46-50) which requires an ilvl of 110?
It's not.
It has to be, otherwise it wouldnt be an option. There must be something someone is missing.
No. It can't spawn, so it's as if the affix simply didn't exist.

Your statement is based on the assumption that Blizzard is infallible and wouldn't put anything in the MPQs that didn't actually work. This assumption is false.