Area item levels
Is there somewhere that lists the item levels of the items that will drop from regular monsters in a certain area? For example, if I wanted a small wharm with an ilvl of 39 (for rolling with Pgems to get the Vita mod), where would I look? How about item level 50?
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
Yes.
1.10 Area lvls list at the AB

Remember that while regular monsters' lvls equal their area lvl in NM/hell, uniques/minions are area lvl +3, and champs are area lvl +2. In normal monster lvl are preset, and not based on area level. There might be a listing somewhere for normal monsters, but this was the easiest for Area lvls that I know of.

EDIT: Oh well, beaten, and with a more comprehensive list. Not unexpected :)
BTW Dozer, before you waste a bunch of gems - 39 is the required level to use a SC of Vita, but that is independent of what it takes to spawn the mod.
"of Vita" is alvl 47 on a small charm, which in turn means you need an ilvl 61 SC to spawn it (typically ilvl = alvl + 14 for SCs and mods that are not at the very high end).
As you can see from the lists, mid NM Act 5 is where these will first start appearing.
"Thank you. We always have a shortage of unfounded opinions, so this will really help us. " - adeyke
Well, thanks for that info :D Good thing I didn't start yet!
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
I'm no good at reading tables. Could you answer me this: If I want to make a 7%MF small charm, where should I look for charms to cube?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
I believe you want ilvl 61 small charms, so head for the following: Crystalline Passage, Frozen River, Glacial Trail, Drifter Cavern, or Pit of Acheron in Nightmare difficulty.

Spared the gorey details? Not if you inadvertently click here.
Thanks for the info!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Could someone answer me this , probably an easy answer , but , I f I reroll a charm for the first time and it gets a real low mod , can I reroll that same charm again or do you only reroll charms once ? Or is it that the game remembers where the charm drops so can reroll any number of times to get the desired Mod . Thanks .
Take care
The 3 perfect reroll recipe retains the ilvl of the drop. So if you start with an ilvl 61 magic small charm, you'll get an ilvl 61 magic small charm out of it.
Thanks , now another question please . Are charms that drop from chests/barrels etc from these areas the same level as from the monsters or are these treat differently ? Thanks again .
Take care
Items dropped from chests etc have ilvl equal to the area level (and so equal to the surrounding regular monsters also).
"Thank you. We always have a shortage of unfounded opinions, so this will really help us. " - adeyke
adeyke,Jul 27 2004, 07:51 PM Wrote:The 3 perfect reroll recipe retains the ilvl of the drop.  So if you start with an ilvl 61 magic small charm, you'll get an ilvl 61 magic small charm out of it.
another stupid question..
this ilvl is that not the same as the "you require level... to use this"?

I also put a charm with a certain level (say 40 (and I mean the level it gives if you check the properties) in the cube with some perfect gems, push the button, and I end up with a level 3 charm. Is that normal?.
I thought I read that the level should stay the same. as you can imagine I was quite disappointed when I saw my new cubed charm.
eppie
ilvl more or less describes where the item came from, not what it does. A very good item can have a low ilvl, and a rubbish item can have a high ilvl. It just depends where you got it.

The required level to use is not really related to ilvl at all. It depends on the properties of the item, which indirectly use the ilvl when they are generated. It is of no use to you when you are re-rolling.

When an item is re-rolled, the ilvl is used to set a "highest affix" that the item can get. However, it can still get all the affixes below that one, so you can still get really low level ones. It is random. The point of re-rolling is (more or less) to keep going till you get a high affix that you want.

The interest in ilvl is to make sure the charm you are using is high enough. It is a shame that ilvl is hidden in the game. But, if you remember where you found an item you can work it out. Also, if an item has a certain mod on it, you know that its ilvl must be at least high enough to get that one (does that make sense? )
I posted this over on the DSF where I was unable to get an answer. I've looked through the other technical archives on the AB and couldn't find an answer. Can someone here handle this query?

Quote:CarpetRubbr is coming up on NM act 3 and I was already planning on charm mining. CarpetRubbr has a pretty good collection of perfects in her own stash that I'll use if I find any. She could also use +res all. She's 80 in all now but will drop when she hits hell diff. A link that was posted about using charms this way (mostly refers to +res all but also mentions +skills) is this: Guide to Rerolling Res...

And, to expand on that, DeeBye, I have a request of you. Can you explain, or point me to better explanations, of just where all of the factors in these decisions can be found? I am getting it to some degree, but I have confusion in how to actually relate the various levels used in the calculation. For example:

Quote:Small Charms

Best resists are alvl=40 (amber, emerald, ruby, sapphire: +10-11% to one element)
    Shimmering (+3-5% resist all) is alvl=33

To get alvl=40 affixes, need charm of ilvl=54. At this ilvl:

Where can this affix level (alvl) be found? I thought this was the number listed in parenthesis on the Arreat Summit but the number doesn't match what is listed there. They then add 14. Why? Looking below that in the post they go on to add 8 for large charms and 0 for grand charms. I see that this final item level (ilvl) is then matched to the area level (in this post). I find that, now that I've explored this a little, I want to understand it.
Simple nudges with a link or downright spoon feeding would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
to thrugg:

yes it makes sense..even to me. I think I will try this when I play again. I guess the chance of getting a supergood charm is much lower than getting an average one.....ooo well...
eppie
Lochnar,
Yes, the AS sorely needs to tidy up their affix page. There are really two important numbers associated with an affix, the alvl (affix level, affects which items the affix can spawn on) and the rlvl (required level, affects when an item with the affix can be used). AS seem to be inconsistent with which of those they are using, even within the same page in some cases.

I check for those numbers directly in the text files that can be unpacked from the patch.mpq file, but for those that dont want to do that, the affix pages at www.d2data.net are pretty reliable in my experience. They list both alvl and rlvl for all affixes, just to make sure you're covered :)
For charms specifically, look at http://www.d2data.net/item/affixes/affixes_idx3.html

Next, determining the ilvl you need from the alvl you want. The short answer is look here, however that is a bit dry for most people. Basically the game works out the alvl of an item when it spawns from its ilvl and its qlvl (quality level, associated with the base item - you can also see those listed on d2data if you look around under Base Items). Once it works out the item's alvl then it randomly picks from all possible affixes with alvl less than or equal to the item's alvl.

Now, the alvl algorithm has a few twists to it, but in most cases you end up on the "alvl = inputilvl - int(qlvl/2)" branch. This is saying that the alvl of an item is (qlvl/2) less than its ilvl. For grand charms, qlvl = 1, so qlvl/2 rounds to 0, and alvl = ilvl. For large charms qlvl = 14 and for small charms qlvl = 28 - that is where the +7 (should be 7, if they said 8 they're wrong) and +14 come from.

For grand charms, because qlvl=1, there really are no other cases to consider. But for small charms there are relevant edge cases so I might as well explain those while I'm at it.
First, the test "if (qlvl>inputilvl) { inputilvl = qlvl }" means that if a small charm (qlvl 28) has ilvl < 28, it ignores the ilvl and uses the qlvl (28) instead. This basically means that all small charms can always get affixes that are alvl 14 or less - even if you find them in normal Blood Moor.
The other edge case is at the high end. If the basic formula (add 14 to the alvl) held always, you could never get the really high affixes like Pestilent (alvl 88). This is where the other branch "if (inputilvl<99-int(qlvl/2)) {...} else { alvl = inputilvl*2 - 99 }" comes in. It means that if the ilvl gets above 85 (99 - 14) then we switch over to alvl = ilvl*2 - 99, or rearranging, required ilvl = (alvl+99)/2 (rounded up). So for example Pestilent requires ilvl 94 to spawn.

The same principles apply to all items and affix spawning, just the qlvls change and the available mods vary.

Right, well, I think that was more than a nudge ;) Hope it was helpful.
Thrugg,Jul 30 2004, 12:04 PM Wrote:Right, well, I think that was more than a nudge ;)&nbsp; Hope it was helpful.
The spoon feeding was indeed helpful. Thanks!
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Another couple of Q's if you dont mind .

You say regular monsters , so if say a Unique or champion etc dropped a charm in these areas , would they be too high or the same as regular monsters / chests / etc for that area .

Also I heard on B-net and not even heard of this before , If hell Baal drops a GC this is the only way to roll a +skill charm with 40 life , you cannot get these stats anywhere else but this charm .

Same goes for SC's from Hell Baal , again dont know if there is any truth to this , but its said you can roll (forget numbers , brain is a bit rusty) I think it was 750 poison damage on those , may have been 500 ?

Thanks

Take care
Take care
Champions have mlvl = area level + 2.

Uniques, superuniques and minions have mlvl = area level + 3.