Detach camera option
Hi,

In the interface settings there's a check-box that I'd never seen before. It detaches the camera from the character -- whatever that is supposed to mean. Now, that could be a nice breakthrough, but my experimentation with it gave zip useful results and a search of the WoW site and fora yielded the usual total lack of information. Since one of the main reasons I quit playing my Tauren was the poor camera location (unless I used the poor joke of first person view, all I saw was his shoulders), any improvements would be nice.

So, has anyone figured out what that check box is for, or what all those set view, reset view, change view buttons in the key bindings are for. Or is all this just some more stuff that fell to the wayside.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

When you're NOT running, you can move the camera around using the left mouse button, and it won't snap back to the default "looking-at-your-back" position.

As soon as you run, it snaps back, though. It's a useful feature for screenshot taking, and to scout around while in combat (I look around all the time, during combat).
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Quote:or what all those set view, reset view, change view buttons in the key bindings are for.

Well, I'm guessing their function is sort of like the 7, 1, and 3 keys on the numpad. You can set a custom camera angle and change to it by pressing whatever button you set it to.
JustAGuy,Sep 22 2004, 03:10 AM Wrote:When you're NOT running, you can move the camera around using the left mouse button, and it won't snap back to the default "looking-at-your-back" position.
It doesn't work like that for me, JustAGuy. The camera gets "fixed" when I'm standing still no matter what I set the Detach option to. Used to be you had to hold down Ctrl for that, but no longer apparently.

Pete, the difference I've found with the option is subtle, but it's there. Try this: get your character to stand at the top of a sloping hill. With the option on, move the camera as usual by holding down the left mouse button and rotating so that the camera starts to go down the hill. What happens is that the camera "detaches" from the player and moves down the hill. With the option off, the camera zooms up the hill so that you always have a view of your character.

It's very hard to describe with text, so give it a try in game and you'll see what I mean. If I had the opportunity, I'd slap up screenshots as an example. It might also be more noticeable to me since lately I play a gnome, and they're so short that it affects camera angles more steeply.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Bolty,Sep 24 2004, 06:51 AM Wrote:It doesn't work like that for me, JustAGuy.  The camera gets "fixed" when I'm standing still no matter what I set the Detach option to.  Used to be you had to hold down Ctrl for that, but no longer apparently.

Pete, the difference I've found with the option is subtle, but it's there.  Try this: get your character to stand at the top of a sloping hill.  With the option on, move the camera as usual by holding down the left mouse button and rotating so that the camera starts to go down the hill.  What happens is that the camera "detaches" from the player and moves down the hill.  With the option off, the camera zooms up the hill so that you always have a view of your character.

It's very hard to describe with text, so give it a try in game and you'll see what I mean.  If I had the opportunity, I'd slap up screenshots as an example.  It might also be more noticeable to me since lately I play a gnome, and they're so short that it affects camera angles more steeply.

-Bolty
[right][snapback]56326[/snapback][/right]

You are quite correct, Bolty. It was changed in the patch so that the snap-back doesn't happen unless you start moving again, and then only a drastic movement. If you nudge your character, the snap-back doesn't happen.

So, the change made led me to believe it was something that it was not. Oh Blizzard and your great documentation! *cough*
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*